Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry coasting

gnartgnart Member Posts: 36
All,

I own a 2012 Camry XLE. I usually coast toward a light or approaching a stop condition. When coasting drop to 40 mph, the car automatically put on the brake and drop it the speed. It does it again when the speedometer is at 20 mph. The dealer said it's normal and it saves gas. I don't agree because (a) the wear and tear on the brakes and (b) the vehicle stops short of the target so I have to step on the gas to go forward.

Anyone experience this issue? Is it normal?

Gnart

Comments

• Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It does NOT put on the brakes automatically. What you feel is the transmission downshifting. It is normal, most new cars do this now.
  • Options
    gnartgnart Member Posts: 36
    I may be wrong here. At first, I thought the transmission was down shifting. Let the gas pedal go, I thought it would be neutral for coasting anyway.

Anyway, I was driving late at night (dark, no street light), I looked at the back while it was "down shifting". I noticed the brake light went on... at the point of down shift.

I will have another driver following me later to see what it's actually doing. Anyway, I don't see how it saves gas when the driver has to step on the gas pedal to approach the designated stop.

Thanks for responding.... additional input is welcome.