Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Redesigned Corolla out this September

jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
Redesigned 2014 model out in September in the US.

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, anything would be an improvement! Some good stuff in the redesign like sharper steering, more back seat room, a 6-speed manual, and better styling inside and out. But... a 4-speed automatic as the base slushbox?!? Are they kidding, when competitors like the Cruze, Elantra, Forte, Jetta, and Mazda3 offer 6-speed automatics as the base slushbox? Also no improvement in the engine for most trims, still a paltry 132 hp/128 ft-lbs. when most competitors offer much more power and still get 40 mpg or close to it.

So, good that the Corolla will be better, but too bad Toyota didn't go the extra mile on the redesign to put the Corolla back into the top tier of small cars as it was many years ago.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I don't believe those other models you mentioned like the Cruze, Elantra, Forte, Jetta, and Mazda3 all have standard LED headlights, pushbutton start, touchscreen infotainment with rear backup camera, and, yes, even paddle shifters. I also believe it's the only compact car to still come in under 2900 lbs. enabling the 40 rated mpg.
    edited June 2013
    Paddle shifters on the 4-speed automatic? I'd prefer 6 speeds w/o paddle shifters. Not much use for those paddle shifters with only 4 speeds.

LED headlights are neat, yes. Pushbutton start I can do without, just something else to break and expensive to fix... and only a 3-year warranty on it! I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel vs. having them touching a screen while I drive. Also an expensive gizmo to replace should it break after the 3-year warranty. Rear backup camera is nice of course.

I am trying to figure out why "...the only compact car to still come in under 2900 lbs. enabling the 40 rated mpg" is important. The FE rating is important, but not that the car is under a certain poundage.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see a big improvement in a car sorely in need of an update. But Toyota clearly cut some corners (and yen) on the update, by retaining the old engine and 4-speed automatic. Personally I would have liked to see the money put into the powertrain vs. technobits like LED headlamps, pushbutton start, touchscreen radios, and paddle shifters.
    I agree you don't need paddle shifters with the four speed transmission, but I understand the "S" model has seven different shift points on their automatic you could use the paddles with. Sounds fun anyway!
    That's a CVT. We'll see how fun it is on the road. I've driven CVTs with about 130 hp (ala Nissan Sentra) and there's no "Sport" there. :P

The base model with 6MT might be pretty nice, if the price is reasonable.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    The "L" model is for the fleet market.

Retail buyers will choose from the CVT-iS or the 6-speed manual (S model only). ;)
    So no base models will be available to the general public?

Also I see that the push button start is NOT standard.
    edited June 2013
    You get LED headlights and Bluetooth standard, USB/AUX, A/C and power everything. That's not enough for $17k? Really?

Why would people move up in the line if every luxury feature were standard? There are things called options. Not everybody needs a button to start the car. :confuse:
    edited June 2013
    I was just pointing out that someone else claimed push button start is standard. I don't need push button start.

All the features you listed except LED low beams are becoming commonplace in this class as standard features, so it's time the Corolla caught up. The LED low beams are unique in the class so far, but we'll probably see that feature creep into the next batch of redesigns as the cost of LEDs drops.

OTOH, the 4-speed automatic is unique in the class too. :P
    The 4-speed won't be unique to fleet buyers, which is who will get it on the fleet model "L"
    2013 Corolla L's are sold at dealers in my area today. Why do you think Toyota will limit the 2014 L's to fleet buyers when they don't do that now?

This is a big mistake for Toyota in several respects. One is that if they do sell a lot of L's to fleets, people will drive these cars with the antiquated 4-speed automatics and they won't compare well to the more modern transmissions offered by competitors. So they may pass on the Corolla when shopping for a new car.
    Excellent point. You think they would offer the higher end Corollas to the rental fleets anyway.
    edited June 2013
    They will treat it the same way they do with the Camry "L", and Ford does with the Fusion "S". Toyota uses them as price-leaders, as a come on, to advertise a low price, but when you get to the dealer, they bump you up to the LE.

You're not SUPPOSED to look for, or buy, the fleet model, and the dealership will discourage it once you get there. What economy car buyer will turn down an extra 3-4 MPG, and the bells-and-whistles that go along with moving up to the LE?

Why would a retail buyer want the old 4-speed anyway? It will probably lose 3-4 MPG to the new CVTi-S anyway.

Whatever "L" models the dealers have, which won't be many, as the dealer wants to sell higher trim levels, with more options, and higher profit margins, are intended for the fleet department, and are just advertised for pricing purposes only.

Toyota sells most of their fleet allotment in the first 3-4 months of the year, then move away from fleet to retail the rest of the year.

Automotive News puts out that Corolla's fleet is 23% right now, which is second only to Ford Focus. What they don't say is that Toyota will do virtually no Corolla fleet sales the rest of the year.

Toyota sold 10% of the company's cars fleet last year, and Corolla will probably be around 15%, and going down with the all-new model. ;)
    Why would a retail buyer want the old 4-speed anyway?

Exactly!!

But Toyota is going to make them anyway, and some will go to dealerships to be sold to retail buyers. And the units sold to rental fleets will eventually wind up in the hands of the individuals who buy cars from the rental outfits.

Other automakers have loss leader trims too. They offer 6 speed automatics, or CVTs. Or 6MTs. At least the new Corolla offers that!
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    edited August 2013
    I want to order or reserve a 2014 Corolla "S" with a sunroof and in the exterior color white. Are there dealers who will take my deposit now? The dealer for my current 2010 Corolla says he can't/won't deal on a 2014 until the cars arrive. I think they are just disorganized and don't understand that I am serious. The current 2010 Corolla is coming off lease, so there is no trade in issue and I'm a free agent to buy from any dealer willing to deal now. Although there might be some equity worth trying to recapture as part of an old Corolla to new Corolla deal.

Speaking of that, the buy out is $11,300. My car has 25,000 miles and is an "S" is very good condition. Do you think I can get any equity from a dealer as part of a trade?
    edited August 2013
    It's on Toyota's website under "Future Vehicles" :shades:
    This would make it the most fuel-efficient gas-powered compact car in America.

So it will have the same 140 HP as the Civic HF, but with 1 MPG better city and hwy.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Motor Trend: The car remains more of an improvement for those who will only drive a Toyota than a real Civic- or Forte-challenger, even with those neat LED headlights and a well-tuned CVT. Toyota has been selling Corollas in the U.S. since the late 1960s, and there's a reason the car has survived that long while others have faltered. Pass right by the Toyota dealership if you want a modern compact with exciting driving dynamics.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1308_2014_toyota_corolla_first_drive/- viewall.html#ixzz2dEoYdeZw

Automobile: Although the all-new eleventh-generation car is different in almost every way from the model it replaces, this Corolla hasn't really changed. It does the same things -- which is good -- but doesn't do them any better than the competition, which is unsettling to say the least. The 2014 Toyota Corolla has improved, but its competition has improved more.

Apparently the Corolla is from a place where the Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, and Mazda 3 are unknown, and even the Chevrolet Cruze, Dodge Dart, and Honda Civic are unappreciated.i>

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1308_2014_toyota_corolla/#ixzz2dEp3z- oHi

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• guido65guido65 Member Posts: 25
    The new Corolla is going to get buried in this category of smaller vehicles. No new engines, transmissions, suspensions?? Ok, the car is reliable, but so are most vehicles these days. Toyota will make changes when the Corolla starts to loose market share.
    It does have new (for the Corolla) transmissions... offers a 6MT and a CVT, although the automatic in the base model is still the old 4-speed.
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    What an embarrassment to still be only offering a 4 speed automatic option in 2014. I would only expect that from General Motors. . . .
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, I wonder how many base models they will sell and at what price? Probably not many. Would I buy one? No, but Toyota has a better idea than any of us how many base models with 4 speed automatic they will sell and at what profit, so I can't play arm-chair quarterback.

You have to remember that even though it is a 4 speed auto, that Consumer Reports' real world MPG testing showed that the 2011 was rated the 3rd best MPG, only beat by a hybrid and a diesel. Not bad, I'd say.

Still, yes, it is surprising, and I would recommend that people that want automatic go for the CVT, due to the lower rpms and higher mpg, but for the higher mpg, first I'd have to see the pricing of all the models.
  • jimbob_seekerjimbob_seeker Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    A 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission is nice. However, the 4 speed automatic is reliable and doesn't perform badly. Even with the lowly regarded (by some) 4 speed automatic, the 2010-2012 Corolla was delivering excellent "real world" fuel economy.

If it keeps the price of the car down, I believe there will be some buyers who will be interested as there are many drivers who cannot tell the difference between a 6 speed and a 4 speed transmission and don't really care.

Exactly!
  • whyaskwhywhyaskwhy Member Posts: 1
    when i got echo plus I thought the button start was no big deal, dealt with it for many years prior in older corolla but then I checked how much for a third key to coin a phrase used by the other gender oh my god

but on the positive seems like a improvement over old models like the dash and radio nice, cvt is nicer the sentra
  • ecidlocecidloc Member Posts: 1
    Would I buy this car? No, I like driving and I don't even want to test drive a toyota. Would it sell? Definitely, better than Mazda and Ford and any other "driver's car". Most of us commenting on this forum are car enthusiasts who take driving experience over comfort and reliability. The fact is, we are only minorities and most people on this planet never take driving that seriously and a conservative, reliable transport is their best option.
    Boy I would really have to disagree with you on that statement. I would argue just the opposite ; I would say the majority of readers and posters on this site by a big margin would take a car with safety, comfort, reliability, price and reputation over show anytime.
    edited September 2013
    If that were true, we'd have more than 28 posts in this discussion on the all-new 2014 Corolla. ;)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Backy, you are correct!

On a side note. I stopped in at Enterprise Rent-A-Car today, and there were already 2 2014 Corolla's there. My local Toyota dealer only has one, a black S model.

Looks like Toyota is trying to get a jump on sales figures by selling to fleet off the rip...
    Actually I like having cars like the new Corolla available to rent when on business trips; it lets me get a much better take on them than I could with a test drive. It's through rental experiences that I've decided to seriously consider a particular model... or NOT consider it, in the case of the past few generations of Corollas. ;)
    Why all the talk about fuel efficiency then?
    What talk about fuel efficiency?

But that would be logical to discuss wrt the Corolla... sure won't be any discussion about its crisp handling! ;)
  • hayes233kthayes233kt Member Posts: 2
    As far as a 4 speed auto goes....on my 2004 Corolla......200,000 miles....no maintenance.....and no problems what so ever......I am sticking to what has worked for me in the 2014 Corolla.....it remains to be seen if a CVT transmission.....with its Rubber Band inside.....can do 200,000 in ten years with no problems what so ever....and if it can.....will probably need thousands in maintenance........I will let others be the guinea pigs......I will take what
    works great for 200,000 miles
    I don't get it, what do you mean when you say "rubber band inside"?
  • hayes233kthayes233kt Member Posts: 2
    Terceltom....in auto circles the CVT transmission is known as the "Rubber Band Transmission"....look into it.....the transmission is driven by a rubber belt inside the transmission....this rubber belt runs up and down between two...cone shaped wheels.....one of these cone shaped wheels is powered by the engine...the other cone shaped wheel is connected to the drive wheel....but...do a full research job.....so you know what you are getting...you make the choice...
    True - some people knock Toyota for the 4 speed auto, but that thing is built like a tank, no issues at all, and it is still very fuel efficient, all things considered.
    I checked out the 2014 Corolla today as I had some time to kill. Found a bright blue Sport Plus with 6MT on the show floor, $22k sticker, no options (except there was another sticker on the windshield mentioning "accessories" and an over-$23k asking price. I hope it's not the 80s-90s again with those dealer-inflated stickers!!). I didn't ask to drive one because I didn't want to waste anyone's time; I won't be getting another car for a couple of years or so.

The good news is, the interior trim, especially the dash and center console, is light-years ahead of the last few generations of Corollas in appearance and materials quality. Looked quite upscale with piano-black and metal (faux metal?) trim, and padded surfaces. The wheel was leather covered and grippy. Unfortunately, it doesn't telescope out very far, so my arms were straighter than I wished. But otherwise the manual driver's seat was comfortable.

The other good news is, there's tons of leg room in back now. Plus there was plenty of toe space under the driver's seat, so I could really stretch out. (Sometimes there's enough leg room, but no toe space.) And the back seat cushion is high enough for good thigh support. So a pretty comfy place to be even for a couple of good-sized adults. Would be nice though if in a $22k car there was a rear center armrest, as on most competitors.

The lack of a rear center armrest was one sign of cost-cutting. Another was the vinyl/cloth interior in this $22k car. It was nice enough looking, but considering some competitors such as the Elantra offer leather (with front/rear seat heaters) for the same money, would be nice to see real skins for this price.

At least Toyota does offer a stick with upscale trim, including a moonroof. That's hard or impossible to get on some competitors on upscale trim levels. Another nice touch on the Corolla is honest-to-goodness protective side moldings, which have become very rare on new models.

So a pretty nice car, but unless I really needed the big rear seat, I'd most likely favor a car like the Mazda3i, which in Touring trim with moonroof is ~$1000 less sticker than the Corolla, and I bet a lot more fun to drive.