Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V40 - Information & Experiences

stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
edited July 2014 in Volvo
Saw an S40 and V40 yesterday at the Philadelphia auto show. According to the dealer, they will be on sale in August or september.

I really loved this car (I think we bonded). Maybe I'm swedish, since the other car I really liked was the new SAAB 9-5. Actually, I kind of liked the BMW Z3 roadster also (maybe because it looks like an old Volvo P1800ES?

Anyway, the Volvo (sat in the wagon) had a great interior. Super comfortable, very rich looking, seemed plenty roomy. And it had a stick shift! No third seat, don't think there was enough room. The cargo area seemed a bit smaller than a V70, but still seemed pretty large (at least as big as a Passat). Can't wait to see how it drives, and if you can get a wagon with a 5spd and moonroof for less than 25K with the rest of the expected goodies.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Comments

• MiroMiro Member Posts: 15
    WOW! This Volvo (and the s80) really changes my impression of this carmaker. I must admit that the 3 spoke alloys and the rear styling are really attractive, reminding me of the 9-5 wagon, another good looking Swede.
    If the V40 became available as a 2000 model with a manual for $35K (Cdn) then things might get interesting! Will we switchover from Subaru to Volvo? Maybe...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    according to the rep at the car show, they intend to compete with Accord and Camry 9probably the V6 higher end models. he anticipates prices around 25K (US)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I little tough to compete with discontinued models, I guess then the V40 would compete with the Legacy. Did the rep hint at powertrains and date of arrival?
    Just scrolled back, date of arrival august or september? Got it. More impressions would be appreciated stickguy. Thanks.
  • LeffeLeffe Member Posts: 2
    The S40 and V40 will be fitted with a 2 litre,
    160 hp turbocharged 4 cyl engine.
  • caseydogcaseydog Member Posts: 1
    I've heard that Volvo is going to come out with an XC version of the V40. Has anyone heard anything about that? If so, price???
    When will someone ask: will a sports version be released, i.e. with bodywork like the Legacy GT?
    I'm frankly tired of seeing the SUV influence in wagons, afterall they are cars not trucks. To me the V70 XC is not desirable, an R AWD would suit me better. However, I'm still not too keen on the traditional boxy styling. The V40 should be a major improvement in this regard.

Miro.
  • mcohenmcohen Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone heard anything on the new V40 coming
    out? I would like a new Volvo in the $25k price
    range!
  • FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    The V40 is about the size of the BMW 3 series and will bring back a tweaked version of that venerable 4 banger found in the old 240s.

The sales manger @ our dealership said that he thought the sedan was nicer than the wagon, which he described as a little too toy like. Im not sure what he meant by that but you should be able to see them at your dealership near you later this summer.
  • mrjmrj Member Posts: 21
    I saw both the S40 and the V40 in Denver last Friday. Very nice,, you can check out some specs at this site: www.thenextvolvo.com

I liked the wagon better - stacks up pretty nicely to an A4 Avant, but no AWD yet. Great interior and exterior, about the same size as an Avant with maybe a touch more rear seat room. Definately marketing an outdoor lifestyle audience.
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    Was this V40 wagon parked on the 16th Street Mall, with a guy asking people to take a picture with the car? If so, I saw the same car. The guy told me that a loaded wagon (like to one we say) would sell for about $26K. Small world.
  • tfmivtfmiv Member Posts: 1
    See my post number 18 on topic number 177 for some camparisons between V40 and Passat/Outback. There are some dimensions listed there.
  • gclugclu Member Posts: 23
    Here are the MSRP and packages available for the new Volvo due out this fall. I got this from the Brickboard forum via a saleman? from Stillman Volvo.

Official S/V40 prices as of June 30, 1999:
    These are MSRPs:

S40A $22,900
    S40AS $24,100 (S=sunroof)
    V40A $23,900
    V40AS $25,100

Destination Charge: $575

Metallic paint: $400
    Leather: $1,200
    Sport Package: $550
    Touring Package: $1,500
    Sport Plus Package: $1,200
    Weather Package: $850

Most dealers will get ONE S40 and ONE V40 around the 3rd week of July for DEMO purposes only...these cars will be the property of VCNA until September 1st.
  • jottmanjottman Member Posts: 4
    I have seen several dealers with them on the lot now. I test drove the V40, it does not drive like a 'volvo' depending on what you want that could be good or bad.
  • sappenzellersappenzeller Member Posts: 5
    I drove a v40 at my local dealer this past Saturday and I was impressed. The fit and finish appear top rate and the interior size is rather good considering the car's compact size. The car the dealer had was red with grey cloth interior and it looked very sharp. Interior ergonomics were good, but there were a few buttons whose function was not readily apparent. Visibility is also good.

The dealer only let me take a short 10 minute drive, but I liked it. The car has good acceleration with no noticable turbo lag. The engine revs responsively and the transmission shifts smoothly. The brakes modulate well and stop the car quickly. The car handles well and provides good road feel, but isolates much of the bumps in the road. The car is generally quiet, but you hear the engine when accelerating quickly.

Overall I like the car, and I will seriously consider the Volvo as an alternative to the 2000 Subaru Legacy/Outback. I need to spend more time driving the Volvo, as well as driving the Legacy to decide. The dealer would only quote me the list prices on the Volvo and I do not know what the invoice is, but I would expect there is room to negotiate. The Subaru dealer has given me a good price on the 2000's (I think about 2-3% over invoice) without even negotiating yet. Also, I have read that the s/V40 has not compiled a great reliability record in Europe, so that is another factor I will try to get more insight into before making a decision.
  • sappenzellersappenzeller Member Posts: 5
    Someone was looking for specifications on the new Volvo. This is what I was able to get on a Xeroxed page from the brochure... dealer did not have any brochures for distribution yet.

Engine: 4 cylinder, 16 valve, DOHC, low pressure turbo, 1948cc, 160hp@5100 rpm, 170lb ft torque @ 1800-4800 rpm

Transmission: 4 speed auto from S70/V70 program

Drivetrain: front wheel drive. ABS with vented front / solid rear discs

Measurements S40 (V40):
    Length 176.6"
    Width 67.6"
    Height 55.6" (55.7")
    Wheelbase 100.5"
    Turning Radius 34.8 feet
    Curb weight 2865 lbs (2910 lbs)
    Fuel tank 15.8 gallons
    Luggage capacity 14.8 cu ft (33.5 cu ft)
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    Our First Drive: 2000 Volvo S40/V40,
    Not Necessarily Married--Volvo Goes for a Younger Crowd, by Brent Romans?

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
  • rlmingorlmingo Member Posts: 8
    If anyone is lucky enough to go for a test drive, please post your comments!
  • padgettpadgett Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I have enough small urchins (3 smaller kids)to fill a V70 (needed occasional use of third seat)so I went to our local Volvo dealer to buy one. While I was waiting on the normal background paperwork shuffle, I went for a test drive in the V40 out of curiosity since I knew I was going to be looking for a good commuter car(read...fun, safe, classy, sharp looks, but understated) next summer. The V40 was a blast. The dealer had a red one with the touring package. I was impressed with the car's spunk and handling. We have huge potholes here and there was sufficient comfort and no noticeable noise. Controls were practical for the most part. I came away wanting one for next year. We picked up our V70 and drove it home.

As it happens, the following day (2 days ago) I was on my way home when my normal commuting vehicle was broadsided & destroyed by a 1997 Nissan--totaled. No one was hurt, but I find myself in need of a new car. Strange coincidence.

I'm getting a V40 in the next week. A couple of points though, 1) it seems the dealers have sparse supply unless you're in a high volume Volvo area. Some dealers were supposedly only alloted 2 or 3 total for the year. 2) After the initial shipment hits the states, I was told the vast majority of the V40s would be fully loaded out (sunroof package and either the sport-plus package or the touring package--MSRP about 28k). However, our local dealer (a large dealer in this region SE, had 2 base models and a base with leather coming in the next 3 weeks so base models can be had if you look. 3)If you put a deposit down on a V40 before the dealership receives the car, Volvo will throw in a $500 goodies package (I'll opt for the load bars and the cargo carrier package)--they have 5 to choose from, but only two seem worthwhile to me.

Enjoy.
    Padgett: All I have to say is, "Be careful what you wish for... It might come true!" Glad you are o.k. and congrats on your 2nd new Volvo.

Could you tell me how the cargo area is in the V40? I have a 65lb. yellow lab that I want to keep gated in the back of whatever I drive so I am no longer blinded by a flailing toungue as she presently rides "shotgun" with me! The idea of buying an SUV (waayyyy to much vehicle for me) just to lug her around doesn't make sense to me.

The V40 just seems so much sportier than the V70 in pictures (haven't seen one for real yet).
    rlmingo,
    I agree with you..never know when you might actually get something you ask for. In my opinion, the V40 is sportier than the V70. The look and feel of the car is quite athletic. Performance matches with the turbo also. GLT and T versions of the V70 are quick too, but the V40 is quick and has quite a different look...more European to me.

As for Cujo, you should have enough room if you take out the cargo shelf (should you get a goody package with one as per my earlier post). The dealer tells me (and it looks to be the case upon inspection) that there is a 7% space difference between the 40 and the 70. The cargo area is a bit shorter, but it seems the "biggest" difference in space comes from the rounded and sloped roof-line near the rear hatch on the 40 versus the higher, squared roof-line on the 70.

I thought the 40 had plenty of space for the athletic equipment, the dog, or the occasional haul of camping equipment or groceries.

Speaking of sporty, I haven't seen the V40 decked out with the sports package (rear spoiler and fog lights) yet, or the sport-plus package, but I suspect that would add to the sporty look of the car.

Also, for those of you interested in price, I saw a quote from Ohio for $800 above invoice, but that was on a base with no package or option ad-ons. I suspect (and will find out shortly how much)that a more loaded version currently commands a higher margin. I heard also that some people are paying MSRP in markets where the supply is virtually non-existent as of yet.
  • mcohenmcohen Member Posts: 21
    Out in California, there are none available yet. I drove the S40 and was laso impressed. There is no turbo lag.

I would get one, but I need a new job (if padgett get get what he asked for, why can't I :) ).
  • jgoodmanjgoodman Member Posts: 1
    Padgett,

I am curious about the 7% difference in space in the the V70 vs the V40 because I have read many references on this site that compare the V40 to the Audi 4 Avant...and most comparisons between the Audi A4 and the V70 are like David & Goliath!
    I agree the real difference is in the slope of the roof and the curve of the back hatch. the closest dealer to me (Los Angeles area) has only one S40 on disply and none to drive. The salesman has already taken a deposit for one coming in and expects some wagons in next week. I am getting serious about giving up the Grand Cherokee for a wagon but worry about the V40's "Audi like size" and only 4 cylinders. Whats your car like loaded down trudging up a steep hill? And do you have the optional traction control?
  • domaticdomatic Member Posts: 3
    I can't seem to find good specifications on the V40 ( cargo capacity. etc.) Does anyboy have these? How does it compare to the Audi A4, VW Passat and Subaru Forrester?

I plan to test drive the V40 this afternoon.

Thanks
    jgoodman,
    I haven't actually taken delivery of my V40 yet, it's on the way. However, given your situation (currently with the Grand Cherokee), I have these comments.

First, I wouldn't worry about the 4. It's a turbo and has a great deal more pickup and given the torque difference a better chance of making quick work of the hill than our base V70 5 cyl fully loaded. However, we don't have a hill around here (Mississippi delta coutry) to test this on so you're on your own on that one. Hence, no need of the traction control since if it snows here it means a really hot place has frozen over and we have bigger concerns if you catch my meaning.

However, that said, if you have a Grand Cherokee because you haul a bunch of adults on long trips in the back (I have no idea of the rear space for a Cherokee), the V40 may be smaller in the rear seating than you want. I have kids who would normally occupy the back seat if we went on a long trip so the 3 inches shorter leg room between the V40 and the V70 isn't an issue for me. Same thing with the head room difference from the sloped roofline.

Cargo Space:
    One problem you'll have comparing "cargo space" is that some reports spec cargo space as the total area floor to roof in the wagon, while other reports include only the useful space below site line (only the area below the hatch window and seat). Still others, especially for the SUVs use a maximum cargo space spec that measures basically the entire area behind the front seats. Here are the V70 and V40 Specs for "cargo capacity" from the Volvo brochures:

V70 33.9 cubic feet (seat up)
    V70 69.0 cubic feet (seat down)

V40 30.2 cubic feet (seat up)

Sitting our V70 next to the V40 I can say there is a difference in width and length for the seating areas and the cargo area. However, while this does make a difference for the occasional piece of plywood, it really doesn't hamper the weekend trip or the trip to the grocery store. You can pile a good bit of "stuff" in the back of the V40. My suggestion is for anyone interested in "cargo space" to take a "normal" load of luggage or your bike or whatever with you when you go test drive the V40 (& competition). Then you can see exactly what the real difference is for you for cargo space and for hauling with a load.

Finally, I can't say much about driving a V40 vs. a Cherokee since I've never had a Cherokee. Why were you considering the V40 instead of a Cherokee (i.e. what did you want from a wagon that you feel is missing in the Cherokee)?
    Padgett,

Excellent info provided above. As for me I have been looking at sport utes for the last year. Had my hopes on the Nissan Exterra, just the right size and price. Well the price wasn't right ( in my opinion) and I think it is underpowered.

I am leaning toward a Dodge Durango but gas mileage and reliability scare me. I drove it and liked it and it does have the cargo capacity and towing.

A wagon still provides plenty of cargo space, not in Durango league but almost in Grand Cherokee league. The wagon will be more fun to drive ( I'm stuck getting an automatic, daughter won't learn how to drive a stick!) Gas mileage will be much better. I'l give up the towing capabilities.

But driving a Volvo says a little more than driving a Durango.
    Otto,
    Did you drive the V40 as planned? What did you think? Also, why a sport-ute?
  • zebomanzeboman Member Posts: 1
    It seems that most dealers in my area will only sell the V40, regardless of trim level, at MSRP. DOes anyone know a dealer willing to work a bit on price?
    I'm torn betwen the these becuase I am looking for something I can put some cargo in as well as some light/medium towing capabilities.

I also need a vehicle with an automatic. I have a teen age daughter who is just learning to drive and wants no part of a manual tranny. Both of our vehicles are currently 5-speeds and I struggle with the thought of going back to an automatic.

The ute gives both (towing and cargo) but poor gas mileage and overall size are the disadvantages. Daughter may find this thing difficult to drive. But a V8 will give it some pep. The Nissan Xterra was going to be my savior but IMO it is overpriced and underpowed, with the auto anyway.

A wagon will give me some cargo room and perhaps some light towing with the advantage of good gas mileage and better handling. The powerplant will determine the performance.

Yes, the VW Passat my be the ideal solution but they seem to be very rare and I will not pay sticker for a VW. I owned a VW Jetta GLI (1986)and loved it but reliability and resale value still seem to be an issue with the VW's.

I didn't drive the V40. Both the V40 and S40 looked wonderful to me. I would pay sticker for the Volvo's at this point in the game.

I don't now if I would call the V40 a glorified hatchback.

Somebody please stop me, but I have actually looked at a few used mini-vans!

Still debating....
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Passat wagons are somewhat scarce, but people seem to be getting them for quite a bit less than MSRP. So I wouldn't let that hold you back. And at least it is available with a 5spd, unlike the V40.
  • akowenakowen Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove a V40. I really liked it and am seriously considering it for my next car. I am almost ready to go buy one!

At the same time I do have a concern. I am afraid an 3 adults and a child may not be comfortable on a long trip. I also drove a Passat and liked its automatic better. Next time I plan on test driving the V40 with the automatic in sport mode.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Is the car for you or your daughter? If it is for you buy the manual - she will learn to drive a stick if she wants to borrow the car. :)
  • rbh110rbh110 Member Posts: 2
    I drove a V40 earlier this week and was pretty impressed. Adequate size, nice styling, generous standard features. Good acceleration due to the light pressure turbo. My wife has an 850 and it honestly doesn't feel quite as 'substantial' or 'solid' as hers does. Wouldn't say it feels shoddy or cheap, but overall isn't finished quite as nice (carpets aren't as flush, doors don't feel as heavy, etc). But for $5K+ less than a comparably equiped V70, it seems to be good value...and I want one!

The bad news is that dealers in Mass/Nh seem to be from the few I've spoken to charging MSRP. The few on the lot I've seen are also loaded with the leather/sunroofs/sport packg, etc to come in at $28-$29K. According to the sales rep, come Dec/Jan when the supply is constant and some of the early pent up demand is over, then he would be selling for more like $500 over invoice (or about $1000 under sticker). I guess I can wait 3 more months...but it's going to be tough.
  • beatlesbeatles Member Posts: 5
    I have a question regarding the purchase of a Volvo:

I have a Driver Edge credit card with some "Ford" credits. Can I use those credits to purchase a Volvo? (Volvo is now owned by Ford...)
  • newbie48newbie48 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I test drove the three today. We found that the Forester was rather cheap in the upholstery, seat comfort and back seat legroom. The OB was definitely more comfortable with better legroom. Then.........we drove the S40(the dealer didn't have a V40, which is what we would like). Wow! What a difference is workmanship, drivability and feel. I currently own my sixth Volvo, and I haven't been disappointed yet. Volvo seats practically sell the car. I did not like the options only being available in a "package". The salesman did say he might be able to get a sunroof, and the TRACS ordered separately, but we didn't get that far, as we weren't ready to actually order. I'd still like to drive the V40 to compare. Anyone out there compare the two? Also, has anyone out there compared the Subaru Legacy (not the OB) AWD with the front wheel drive Volvo? We do a lot of winter driving as we go up to the ski areas quite a bit. Would the V40 be as safe as the AWD Subaru? One more query......Anyone know of any Volvo dealers willing to negotiate in the NW (we live in Portland, OR)? Thanks for your help.
  • peralayperalay Member Posts: 1
    Well we just bought the V40. My goodness what a car! We've been searching for some time now, and have really had a fun time, but didn't find everything we wanted till this car. Here's my impressions:

value -- this car had more standard features on the base model than any other car for the same price. Surprising how we only had to add the $850 weather package as our options (we live in Buffalo, NY). On the Passat and Forester, we would have been adding more options (making it more difficult to find, and a long wait)

performance -- the turbo in this thing was unnoticeable. Our other car is a Prelude so we have high expectations for performance, especially from a wagon. Well this car met them. The Passat with a turbo definitely has a lag, but the V40 had great acceleration off the line. The sport mode makes lots of fun to drive, but adds a little bit of additional noise in low gears. In economy mode, the noise was gone and the car still accelerated better than the Passat turbo. The car handled wonderfully, had a solid road feel, but with a comfortable ride over the rough roads where I drove it.

The car looks pretty sharp too, classy but not boxy like the V70s, and definitely not trucklike (I like the looks of the Forester, but I think in 10 years the SUVs are going to look dated)

Room and comfort: I am 6'4 and find it hard to get enough leg and head room. Sadly the headroom reqmt often rules out moonroofs -- as it did on this car, but the moonroof comes with the leather seats as a package, and we preferred the feel of the cloth seats. Volvo seats are just heaven. Legroom in the Forester S was not good enough to spend $24k to $25k for me. It would've been too annoying for any length of trip. Passat had much better leg room, and the V40 was about equal to it. Cargo room is the same in the Forester and V40, Passat has more, but is a much heavier car--slower with a 4 cyl -- too expensive with a 6. Safety features on Volvos and the peace of mind of knowing how long Volvos last were also major factors in the decision.

Availability -- Forester and VW were both impossible to find -- dealers quoted long waits and no guarantees of getting exactly what you wanted. With the Volvo dealer we may have just lucked out -- we looked in the showroom at the loaded V40, then described the options we probably wanted and that we'd like to drive one. When the salesperson brought out one to drive, it happened to be the perfect one for us -- options, the blackberry color, interior. We drove it then started dealing. Only thing we didn't get was the CD player but it comes with the touring package and we didn't want to pay for that. We paid about $800 under MSRP after some haggling. We enjoyed the experience with the dealer: they treated us intelligently and honestly.

Overall this car just was a great value for the money. Compared to other cars that come in with prices $24 to $25k, it just had more stuff, more comfort, fun, and security, and a great reputation. Sorry this is so long... Hope this info can help others the way others have helped me.
  • cheap5cheap5 Member Posts: 2
    Have test driven all three. The V40 rear window thing is a bit weird, but the pick up and handling are great. Like the list of inclusions too. However, told by dealer that all cars in Northeast are shipped with cold weather package, an $850MSRP option that includes heated seats, TRACS, DSA and wiper washer system for headlights. Seems like it could be tough to get a base car without all kinds of add ons. Price quote is pretty much everything at MSRP. Did not push as still test driving and not ready to negotiate. Do not get the sense they will move much. Has anyone out there found same/different experience with pricing. Was also told that there may be shortage of metallic paint. Orders currently placed cannot be changed to metallic.

2000 Subaru Legacy is a strong contender because more economically priced, has AWD, cheaper to service. However, ride isn't as smooth, found manual tranny to be awkward and automatic zigzag layout just plain strange. Would serve the purpose and be reliable, but doesn't have the look or the pizazz of the other entries. Ruled out OB, as it's looking too big, but the price comparison to the Volvo is similar.

Saturn 2000 LW2 was a surprise. The engine supplies lots of power(v6 auto should!)with good pick up. Have to confess pushing it to try to get some hesitation, which I did, but that did not consistently happen. Nice handling with good turning and cornering. Smoother ride than the Subaru. Not the Volvo but close, and from an American car! ABS and traction control would be add-ons, as would leather and heated seats. But all the other stuff from keyless entry, alarm, heated side mirrors, fog lamps, AM/FM stereo/cassette and CD with 8 speakers, etc.etc, are standard. That's a lot of car for a no haggle price of $21,900 - and that includes conveyance! It's a big one though at 190.4 inches long! Also first year of model so unknown on service. Heard mixed reviews regarding the cars overall. Anything to share on this?

My heart probably wants the Volvo, but my head and my wallet may dictate one of the others, especially with interest rates on loans creeping up there!
  • lashleylashley Member Posts: 4
    I called my local dealer today and the V40 is available through the overseas delivery program. You basically get the car for invoice price which includes customs, duty, and delivery to your local dealer. In my area, the car comes through Jacksonville, Fl and then on a covered truck to my dealer in Atlanta. I feel pretty confident that I would get a quality car from the factory because I could inspect the car myself just as I could if I bought it at a local dealer. The question I have is has anyone had bad experiences with the shipping process in terms of damage to the car. I know all cars are shipped this way, but you own the car when it is shipped and are responsible for the damage. Volvo makes you purchase marine insurance which would cover the cost of repairs, but I would not want a new car to be damaged with no recourse but to repair it. This process would save me $1000 to $2000 dollars depending on the deal I could get by the car state side which the dealers are not budging from MSRP.
  • eric76eric76 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove the V40 yesterday. Dealer olny allowed a brief drive in the city, no freeway test yesterday. I was most interested in the freeway driving to test for road and wind noise. Drove the Mazda MPV yesterday too and heard lots of noise. What can others tell me about the noise on the freeway?
  • spawnmanspawnman Member Posts: 19
    Purchased the 2000 V40 a week ago. WOW what a great car!! This is our first Volvo and it is the best. The leather seats are almost as comfortable as my recliner. Can't wait to got a long drive in it.

The dealship in Fort Collins Colorado was the best, even got a free diner out of them!!

The car is Volvo through and through. The wagon is loaded, all options installed, was able to get them at $300 below MSRP.

Found the road and wind noise on the freeway mimimal at best.

Pluses:
    Huge glove compartment
    Engine power
    Volvo safety
    Comfortable seating
    Mileage is decent, seems it could be more since it's only a 4 cyl.

Negative:
    Not a LOT of storage for stuff
    Shallow door pockets
    Steering wheel seems too close to dash
    Stereo is upgraded but still seems to be lacking in punch

Just my .02. Love the car overall!!

Greg
  • strvtstrvt Member Posts: 12
    Just came back from V40 test-drive.
    Nice, quick and very responsive car. But ... a little bit to small for me. I'm 6'4" and can't fit in the V40 with sunroof. Headroom without sunroof is OK, but it will be hard to put even a child at the back seat after me. And steering wheel to close to my knees. It's look like a toy :). Ride is great, but probably I'll go with Subaru.
  • bbrandlebbrandle Member Posts: 6
    Am very disappointed that Volvo has brought this car so far only to have dropped the ball on not offering a manual tranny. Having grown up in a Volvo family I would buy one in a minute, but only if I could get one with a 5-Speed. Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine about Volvo rectifying this horrendous marketing snafu? If I were to take delivery of it in Europe, could I order one with a manual tranny? Thoughts anyone??
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    Every review of the V40 or S40 has stated that the Volvo is attacking the "midsize" market yet the dimensions of the vehicle are "compact". The S40 is only slightly larger than a Honda Civic. Forgive me for being naive but the Civic is no mid size. It is definitely a full size smaller than the Passat wagon, Suburu Legacy wagon and Saturn LS series. It's more Audi A4 Avante sized.

I'm not sure at $30k loaded, the V40 is such a great deal. I'd rather have a loaded VW Passat with a nice 24 valve V-6 and plenty of room for that price.
  • 1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    I don't think Volvo had in mind to compete on price with Subaru, Saturn or Volkswagen. Then they might as well forget their luxury-brand aspirations. Like I said before in this thread, Volvo NA seriously considered to not release this car in this market so as to not dilute the brand image they are trying to build.

Comparable cars would be Audi A4 and BMW 323i. BMW is releasing a 300-series station wagon this year I think (model name is Touring).

If you are looking only at how much of a car you get for the money, I think there are better options. Same thing with wines, you can get a pretty good wine for ten bucks. Some people buy wines that cost 20 dollars, or a 100 dollars. Are they insane? No, different tastes. Undoubtedly the marginal gain of paying a buck more decreases quite a bit when you get up there. A Mercedes isn't twice as good as, say, a Toyota, but some people still find it is worth the money.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, just pointing out that you have to compare apples with apples.
  • 1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    I don't think Volvo had in mind to compete on price with Subaru, Saturn or Volkswagen. Then they might as well forget their luxury-brand aspirations. Like I said before in this thread, Volvo NA seriously considered to not release this car in this market so as to not dilute the brand image they are trying to build.

Comparable cars would be Audi A4 and BMW 323i. BMW is releasing a 300-series station wagon this year I think (model name is Touring).

If you are looking only at how much of a car you get for the money, I think there are better options. Same thing with wines, you can get a pretty good wine for ten bucks. Some people buy wines that cost 20 dollars, or a 100 dollars. Are they insane? No, different tastes. Undoubtedly the marginal gain of paying a buck more decreases quite a bit when you get up there. A Mercedes isn't twice as good as, say, a Toyota, but some people still find it is worth the money.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, just pointing out that you have to compare apples with apples.
  • shanknarshanknar Member Posts: 2
    Those are extremely bad quality cars which give constant troubles. You wouldn't expect Volvo to produce such bad quality cars but its true. I have taken the car for service 4 times in the first month that I bought a brand new V40. I suspected the car to have an alignment problem right from the start but the dealer refused to accept it. Then they finally accepted it when it started wearing off one of my tyres. They refused to replace the tyres. Then it was the cruise control which used to lock on a speed automatically without me pressing any button. Then one part of it stopped working. Then it was the horn which doesent work on one side. Then it was the power locks which gave a problem. I am fed up but Volvo dosent give my money back because the mechanical parts of the car didnt fail. I'm sure they will in a short while. They shouldve used the same kind of cheap quality materials they used for their electronics. They probably forget that it is the computer which actually runs their cars. That may fail at some point. For me my working times are between 7.30 am to 5.30 pm and I have a very inflexible schedule. When I explained to the Volvo Customer service about my problems they said "too bad Sir, but we are sorry"
    I probably am going to file a lawsuit against them.

I request readers to please refrain from buying an S40 or a V40 if they dont want to bear the frustration of paying about $30,000 for a piece of junk.
    FOr more details. write to shanknar@bigfoot.com
  • scrappy394scrappy394 Member Posts: 1
    Currently I am driving a 1995 Ford Countour GL with 95K on it. I still have one year on a lease that I really want to walk out of (We all make mistakes in life) I realize I will have to come up with a sizeable down and into another lease in order for it to be manageable. Anybody have any solutions?

I have a brother who is with Ford so I would qualify for a Ford A plan So I know that I can get the car below MSRP plus any incentives. Would like to keep next car longer and possibly buy out the lease. Not excited about Sable/Taurus.

Drove a Pasatt GLX sedan and loved it, somewhat pricey and not sure if dealer would negotiate as they are selling fast. Owned a 85 Jetta and put 200K on it.

Drove the Volvo V40 wagon loved it. My concerns are room, reliability, and cost of maintenance. Want leather,sunroof & CD. No kids but in sales and spend time driving and also need room for the various sporting goods and weekend trips.

Also considered Explorer, not quite sure I want a sport ute.

Please help I want to get rid of the Countour later this Summer. Also Would a V70 make sense? There will be a replacement this fall, I am sure there will be lots of incentives on remaining V70's in stock.
  • bobbybaughbobbybaugh Member Posts: 3
    Just test drove a new S-40 and was very impressed. Tested a new passat the same day and would say they were very much the same, the main difference being that the seats in the Volvo fit me better and had more comfort. The problem being that I can get a 96 or 97 BMW.for about the same price any help on what would be the best buy for a long term hold. I'm talking 10 years and 150,000 miles, depreciation and maintenance are my main concerns.
    Need more responses from current s-40 and v-40 owners. Thanks!
  • mannix3mannix3 Member Posts: 1
    I have now owned a v40 for almost 6 months..am I happy? Decidely no! Upon delivery the steering was completely out of alignment..the following week I spent a full day, from 7:00 am till 6:30 Pm sitting in a dealership waiting till this minor problem was fixed. Was it fixed, well if you can count a problem being 80 rectified fixed I guess it was.
    A squeak had developed in the passanger door and three visits later still squeaking. I have now removed the squeak by spraying lithium grease through the panel opening. Why was I resorted to this because the dealer can not find or fix the squeak. The cold probably created the squeek I was informed on the second visit for said item. I did not know that Sweden was a tropical country without a winter, I replied.
    Now the headlights are blowing out. Replaced bulbs are going at the rate of one per week. The dealer can get me in (with a loaner) not for two weeks. Here I have bought a pretty expensive car that cannot be used after twilight!
    Would I buy another? What do you think?
    By the way, a slightly used Volvo v40 is going to be on the market this September
    I thought it was just me about the radio fading in and out on my V40. I absolutely love my car, but even with the stero upgrade I am disappointed with the reception it gets. The CD is clear as a bell and sounds great, but FM stations (even local ones) are not so great. Do you think it's the antenna (being so short and on the back of the roof?). If my car wasn't a lease, I'd bring it to an audio place to get a better antenna. I do also agree about the rear hatch button. Too hard to push in. I wish the key ring button would pop the trunk too so you don't have to put your things down to have free hands to push the button it.

But, I think these are two minor complaints for such an awesome car!!! I'm very happy so far.
This discussion has been closed.