Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V40 - Information & Experiences

Comments

• lstehnolstehno Member Posts: 1
    I bought a V40 in November 1999, it started having problems with the check engine light within 2 weeks. This has been a constant problem! It has now escalated to overheating and not starting all together. The V40 has been in for service 6x for these problems, I have had to have it towed 2x. Any helpful hints?
  • bgkannebgkanne Member Posts: 25
    If you look at various Volvo web sites, serious electrical problems, squeaks and rattles are very common. Solution: DON'T BUY VOLVO'S! Maybe Ford will fix these ridiculous problems, now that they own the car company.
  • bgkannebgkanne Member Posts: 25
    Ford will fix Volvo just like they fixed Jaguar, which Ford also owns. They will develop cars together, reducing costs, improving quality and making the cars more pleasant to drive. A perfect example is the Lincoln LS and the Jaguar S type which are based on the same chassis.
    Ford's overall reputation for quality and reliability is quite good. For example, Ford has virtually all of the police and limo market in the US. Reason? They make the best product for their needs that is both durable and relatively inexpensive to repair.
  • heenavaraheenavara Member Posts: 1
    Here's the deal: I have 12k on my Volvo V40 and
    have not experienced one problem. For the money, I
    think it was a great buy - nice power and
    handling. For those refering to a 1998 review and
    slamming performance....I agree, given the old
    engine, performance would have been lacking.
    Slapping in a Turbo for the American 2000
    introduction was a great move. Don't compare apples
    and oranges. Overall, a tremendous value for the
    money and I would advise anyone to buy one.
  • lexi3lexi3 Member Posts: 1
    I didn't want to be lumped in the "V40 - very bad cars" discussion, because I don't think I'm quite that disgusted with my new V40 yet. Unfortunately, I have had problems, and I've only owned the car for 1 1/2 months. After the first few tanks of gas, I noticed that I was only able to refill the tank when completely empty with about 12 gallons. In fact, each time I refueled, I was able to put less and less gas in the car. Very odd. I too, have noticed that the Volvo dealerships are not "working people friendly", because the dealerships near my home and work are only open M - F during business hours. I used to have a Nissan, and they were open Saturdays as well as from 7 - 7 each day. So, I took the car in for the tank and for some rattles and squeaky brakes. They gave me a rental car, which I had for two days while they had to order a new fuel pump and sending unit. After driving around a Dodge Caravan, I was ready for my little wagon back! Got it back, some of the rattles are gone, but I still have the fuel problem. Anyone have the same problem? I only have 1400 miles on the car.
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • amatojamatoj Member Posts: 1
    I recently just purchased the V40 wagon and absolutely love the vehicle. For the money, I think the car is an excellent value. The V40 wagon handles the road well and the performance of the car is excellent. I don't have any negative comments to make re: the V40 wagon.
  • sysopsysop Member Posts: 23
  • gizwomackgizwomack Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, first posting here, just bought a 2000 V40, dealer loaner, the price was right
    and I like the car, but I have two questions?

First, can you open the rear hatch without the key in the lock (ie just by pushing
    the button) or does the key have to be in the lock? (Dealer swears key needs to be
    in the lock to open hatch, does that mean the trunk button on the key fob is
    useless?)

Second, is there any option for a CD changer (not fm modulator) that doesn't cost
    $700?

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated...I can't believe you can't open the hatch without the key, and if you can, how in the heck to I get the dealer to fix it. They are sticking to the party line that all is fine even though the lock works sketchy at best!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Hi Folks-

If you look to the left side of this page, you'll notice a new feature: Additional Resources. Keep a look out for new articles, features, and other related discussions soon be posted in that area. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • spindoktor2spindoktor2 Member Posts: 3
    Twice in the last 2 months I've hit potholes with my 2001 Wagon. Each time it has cost me 2 wheels and 2 tires. Over $1100 each time. The wheels bent, tires sidewalls bubbled. Anyone else having this problem? I've hit a lot of potholes in my time and never had anything like this happen.
  • natural5natural5 Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced (16,000 miles) two front original Michelin tires on 2000 V40 due to bubbles in side walls. Didn't notice anything special driving the car, just noticed the bulges on cleaning the car. Have driven cars (3 Honda Civic wagons, VW Bus, Toyota sedan) over New York City potholes for years with no tire or suspension problems. The Volvo dealer and the tire salesman both were unsurprised by the defect, but claimed no liability for correction of the problem. Looks like a defect/safety issue to us.
  • topoe1topoe1 Member Posts: 1
    Had a 2000 v40 for 18 mos. Impressions so far: drives well, real comfortable, moderate cargo space (it IS classified as a compact, after all). It'll get up & go, too. CD/cassette player sounds good. Ergonomically, it's for aliens. Headlights last about 6 mos ea (at $23.00 a pop if you change 'em yourself). Had it in the shop once for rear brakes being locked up (of course, it was just "out of adjustment" and therefore not covered by warranty). Otherwise, no problems-I'm happy with it. Will probably trade to a v70 at some point, though, just to get more metal around kids & me.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your V40 experience. We look forward to hearing more....

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• 2boysdad2boysdad Member Posts: 7
    Just put K&N airfilter #33-2763 on our 2000 V40 and living in Colorado I noticed a diffrence right away. Any questions about applications to your Volvo contact K&N Tech support at 1-800-858-3333. This car is fun to drive and my wife likes the little boost from the turbo, so getting on and off the highways here is not as scary as it use to be.
  • matthiasp1matthiasp1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello: I happen to be a happy owner of V40. However, I have spoted two problems. First, I see marks from original masking tape on the roof of my red Volvo. I will see the dealer about it. The second problem I have with original Michelin tires. I put 26,000 miles on it and they don't look good. It seems more of alignment problem, yet it is not covered by a warranty. If the alignment was bad from the beginning, why wouldn't dealer correct it?
    Well, if you have suggestions, please feel free to respond.
    Thanks,
    Matthias
  • 2boysdad2boysdad Member Posts: 7
    Try a little WD40 on the left over tape. It's also good for removing the dealer name stickers and the ones held on with double stick tape. Just be carefull. As for the tires I don't know.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Here's a direct link to Spin Around Town: 2002 Volvo V40, by Neil Dunlop. Please return here to post your comments. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • bassoonbassoon Member Posts: 7
    I am looking for a new wagon.. I have the A6 quatto now and I have really liked it but I could use something smaller and cheaper.. Any ideas on which way to go? Is there a big price difference or quality difference. Volvo dealer near me had NO wagons.. have to order 8 - 10 weeks in advance...makes me wonder if parts will be hard to get... How is volvo in the snow?
  • kwamedogkwamedog Member Posts: 35
    Got a real good deal on the sign and drive lease. Will pick it up Monday! Friends who have the S40 state that it is great in the snow. These wagons are difficult to find. Our dealer did not have one and had to have it delivered from 75 miles away. Mind you we are in Denver which is a big city.
  • bros21bros21 Member Posts: 1
    My V40 is supposed to have "daytime running lights" but they aren't like other cars (where the lights are dim and not all lit). Mine just appear to be "always on" - this includes the instument lights. In fact, I drive at night with my lights in the "off" position 'cause there is no difference between "off" and "on" (except you can't get hibeams in the off position). Do you'all have the same experience??
  • mnaviamnavia Member Posts: 1
    My dealer quoted $23,ooo (all included-out the door) for a 2001 V40 w/6,000 miles. Can anybody tell me if this would be a good price. It has sun roof, leather and in very good condition. It is difficult to compare prices when there aren't many around to look at. Thanks
    This discussion is now linked to our Volvo Owner's Club! Look for a direct link at the top of the page. While you're there, please take a moment to say hello in our Volvo Owner's: Meet the Members discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • gertzgertz Member Posts: 1
    My sparely driven V40 was recently towed back to the dealer for the second time because it would not start. On the second visit the dealer replaced the battery because of a dead cell.
    At that time I was told I would soon need to replace my rear brake pads, $135, with only 11,500 miles on the car. Outraged, I called Volvo of America and they admitted to brake replacement at about 15,000 miles on this model. They cited superior braking ability and engineer-chosen material. Otherwise they evade any consumer satisfaction, quality control, cost effectiveness, comparisons with other autos. I was alotted a mere 15% discount on the brake bill. Warranty did not cover any brake repairs.
    The dealer admits to no knowledge of this markedly unsatisfactory feature; service departments reap the replacement fees.
    So now I have a new car that will require costly brake pad replacement at a frequency of four times what other autos require.
    The maintenance manual 'suggests' to check brakes every 15,000 miles;it never indicates replacment at designated mileage.
    This devalues the car, makes it an unlikely resale item and make me a very unhappy owner.
    One other flaw is the tail gate panel that wraps midway around the gate. Ours cracked and oxidized from black to gray.
    I am finding other owners with the same brake pad experience and would like to hear from others.
  • apurushapurush Member Posts: 10
    How much is the cost for the 30k service? I am getting quotes of around $520 in Atlanta, GA.
  • abohligabohlig Member Posts: 1
    So I stopped by a local dealer today to see if they had any used V40s and the sales manager mentioned he'd "cut me a great deal on a new one, around 20k." So I looked at the cars, which were as follows:

Silver V40
    - Metallic Paint
    - Sports Premium Package
    - $27,365

Nautic Blue V40 (test drove)
    - Metallic Paint
    - Premium Plus Package
    - $28,852

Black V40 (Showroom)
    - Metallic Paint
    - Premium Package
    - $26,395

Obviously those are all MSRP. I've asked the dealer to send me a quote via email, and he hasn't done so yet. What's the best deal anyone has gotten recently?

thanks!!!
  • btonnerbtonner Member Posts: 1
    I too have noticed marks on the roof of my red v40 from the white dealer tape. I am interested to know if you spoke to the dealer about that. What are they willing to do about it? Anyone else notice the marks on their cars?
  • Imashmo2Imashmo2 Member Posts: 3
    First, I love my one month old V40. Replaced my '95 Subaru legacy wagon (which I also loved and passed on to family). Fairfax Volvo cleaned the Tape residue off the roof and hood. Gave me a detailed new car for $25K. Not bad. Handles like a dream. It is not underpowered, and is more comfortable and was cheaper than the fully loaded jetta wagon from the same dealer. Volvo 1.9T much smoother than VW 1.8T. Transmission is best I ever owned. So far, SO GOOD.
  • jro2002jro2002 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has experienced a pulsing or vibration at around 120 KM/H (65 Miles/hr) or so.

uneven brake wear?

I've got 30,000 kms on my v40, but I've only had it for 1 month and have put on about 6500 kms.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
    jasonross99@hotmail.com
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Well, if it happens when the brakes aren't applied, it's most likely an out-of-balance wheel. Take it to a good tire shop; they can probably diagnose it.
  • wimpiewimpie Member Posts: 1
    The evolution of the volvo S/V40. BR>
    From 1996 till 2003 with pictures.

http://users.pandora.be/volvo40
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I just check the price on carsdirect.com in my area - $20540 for a v40! It is very close to my other choices I've been considering - subie legacy, passat wagon (more expensive). I am not so sure about the reliability of volvo's but given this is an 8 yr old design(and last model year), should they work the bugs out completely?
    Cargo space is fine with me, I don't carry sheets of plywoods, just the regular stuff for 2 kids and I don't go crazy about it. Being in volvosville (Boston), there are plenty of good independent volvo mechanics I can go to for maintenance. And the rear seat comfort part I do not know. Anyone has any suggestions?

thanks
    Nelson
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    I picked up a 2003 V40 two weeks ago for my wife. I was on the same boat as you. The $4000 dealer incentive which dropped the price of the car almost $5000 off MSRP, was a deal closer for me. I like the Volvo safety that's offered in this car, all kind of air bags and side curtains as well as whiplash preventive front seats.

As for your question about the rear seat, I tried it and I'm a bit over 6' tall, and my knees didn't touch the front seats(maybe about 2" away).
    And the back seat feels quite comfortable. Although, the whole car seems cramped to me, because I'm used to my car, the LHS, which is huge.

I've driven the V40 a few times now, and I actually started enjoying it. At first it seemed too stiff and sensitive to me, but after a while I adjusted to the feel, and I like the road feel of the steering. The big surprise I got, was how FAST this car is. It's turbo charged and it's light, so it zooms and wants to keep going, but fortunately, it also has the BEST brakes I have ever seen. This car stops on a dime. And because of this, the brake pads are designed softer than usual, and they tend to wear faster than expected, which need replacing every 15-20k miles. And the complaint I have so far, is the mess of brake dust on the wheels. It's unbelievable how much dust accumulates on there. I guess it's the price to pay in order to have really Excellent Brakes.

On a final note, I think the price you quoted doesn't include any packages, which would be impossible to find (I think). You might have to add $1000-$3000 for a Sports Package or Premium Package with possibly a Climate Package.

Good Luck!
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    $1k or more for an additional pkg is okay with me. If you look around for a small wagon, there are not that many choices to start with. If equipped similarly, I think the price is on par with the legacy (4cyl) and passat(4cyl), and that is why it looks so attractive now.

btw, this car will be for my wife too. Unlike you, I'll be taking over her current car - corolla.
  • mbfjackmbfjack Member Posts: 23
    I'm surprised there are not a lot of discussions on the 2003 V40. I'm in Europe, but will soon go to the US, and am undecided between this wagon, the VW GLS V6 Passat Wagon, and the '03 Honda Accord EX V6.
    I am a Honda owner, so my first instinct is Honda. It's a shame Honda doesn't make a wagon in the US. I think in the long run, it would be more practical to have a wagon. I like the Passat a lot, even though it's too pricy, and I'm concerned with reliability and premium fuel. The 2003 Volvo V40 I like a lot. I drove a new silver metallic V40 for a month here in Europe last Summer, and I loved it. My only concern is that in the US, all that is offered is Automatic transmission, whereas I drove a MT, and enjoyed that much more. The Passat GLS has the option of V6 (I like the extra power) and MT, but the Accord doesn't in V6. Still have to test drive the Passat and the Accord.
    As you can see, I am very confused... Amidst all this, what I really value is longevity in a quality car (I've had my Honda for almost 9 years, and no problems). I also value performance, comfort, and safety. My only problem with AT is less control to enjoy.
    Question: how is the Volvo maintenance services in the US??
    HELP
    Like I wrote in my earlier post, I was also undecided between a couple of other wagons (the passat included), and I decided on the Volvo V40. The price was great, and there were too many mechanical issues with the Passat. The thing is that the V40 is not popular at all here in the U.S., you hardly see any on the road. And the problems I read about are the engine light coming on, which is caused by various non-serious things. And the brake pads need replacing often. Other than that, no serious problems. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in manual transmisison here.
    As for Service, it really depends on the dealers. And most dealers for any brand car, don't seem to care enough, I think.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for your advice. From what you're saying, I am more and more convinced that the Passat might be out of question, especially after reading all the stuff here on the VW boards.
    I also agree with you, that dealers don't seem to care much about customers after the "buy". My experience has been long long waits, just for oil changes, for instance, even after you make an appointment.
    Since you own a V40, what are your overall experiences with it (hopefully you haven't had the problems you have read about), how long have you had it, and what is the response of the 4-cylinder engine with an automatic transmission? Did you get any of the options, like climate and premium packages??
    Sorry about all the questions. I'm just trying to get the most information in order to make a decision.
    Thank you.
    I'm surprised you don't see many V40s in the States. Here they are abundant.
    Well, we picked up a dark blue V40, with the Sports Package and the Climate Package, upgraded stereo and a Moonroof. We've had it for about 3 weeks now, and have put on it a little over 200 miles. Definitely, not enough experience or time to judge if something is going to break. But the car drives great. The pick-up is terrific and handling is really nice. I also like the way the tranny shifts, no harsh bumps or hesitation. I remember my LHS, when it was new, had some hesitation and quite a few bangs in the transmission until I passed 1000 miles on the car.

The V40 is not a luxury car, it's kind of noisy (road noise more than engine noise, but maybe the tires have something to do with it), and you definitely feel the road, not too cushioned. But that's exactly what this little car was designed to drive and feel like.

So far, I have'nt experienced any of the problems that I read about, and hopefully it will stay that way. I'm pretty confident that by now, Volvo has worked out most of the bugs on this model, it's been around for quite a few years now.

Hope this helps, and by the way, where are you that you see so many V40s.
  • sully242sully242 Member Posts: 7
    That's one of the nice things about owning this vehicle; they're not a dime a dozen. Great car. Great price ($4,000 under invoice - not MSRP)!
    So many V40s in Portugal!! And as you probably know, here in Europe, there are hardly any automatics. So, all of them are MT. I have also seen a Titanium gray color here that the US Volvo website doesn't list. Also, here you have a choice of 9 engines, ranging from 102 to 200 HP, gasoline or diesel, etc. But the prices here in Portugal are too steep. There are always some little drawbacks.
    Somebody was telling me about the overseas delivery program from the US: pick up the car in Gothenburg, Sweden, then drive it to one of the 21 drop-off points, like Paris or Madrid (that would be closer for me), and ship it to the US, and all this with trips paid, no shipping costs, and cost of the car amounts to 10% less than buying it the US. I don't know. I guess it's something to ponder.
    I don't remember too much road noise when I drove one last summer. What kind, and what brand of tires did they sell with your V40??
    The tires on my 2003 are the BF Goodrich T/As. Not bad tires really, I've used them before on other cars, but the noise could be because of the suspension not being as isolated as less performance cars (like my LHS). I wouldn't worry about it, it's not an issue.

As for the program picking up the car overseas. A friend of mine just picked up a BMW 330xi from Germany on a similar program, where he ordered the car here in the U.S., then picked it up overseas and drove it around in Germany for about a week to add a few miles to the odometer, and that's how you save by shipping it Used instead of Brand New.

Regards.
    Welcome everyone!

To nwng & mbfjack - Glad to see you're getting some good feedback here. For additional feedback/ideas, you may also want to check out our Help me select a Wagon! discussion. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your decision. ;-)

To bb_lhs_2k- Congrats on your new V40, and thanks sharing the details. We appreciate your help/feedback here... and look forward to your future posts. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Thanks,
    I got a lot of help on these boards, so it's only appropriate for me to help, if I can :-)
    Thanks for the welcome. It's surprising there are not more posts on the V40. It seems like it's only a couple of us on here.
    I find these boards extremely helpful. Even though I still haven't decided nor made a purchase, it's refreshing to read information with all types of opinion. It helps a great deal to find out people's dilemmas, problems and solutions.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I think this car comes closest to what I want in a car.
    I like it alot and really can't find anything wrong.
    (Well...I don't like the old style door handles...that's about it)
    How long will the $4000 off incentive last?
    Never mind... I just checked... it says 4/30...
    Does anyone know if a new V40 will be introduced by then?
    Is the V50 a replacement or different?
    I think the V50 will be the replacement of the V40, but will be introduced in 2005 (I'm not sure, maybe 2004).

Here's the spy pics of the V50:
    http://w1.313.telia.com/~u31303214/V50.jpg
    Thanks for the link! If you have a chance, perhaps you could also share (copy/paste) that in our V50 discussion. Talk later. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    I'm thinking of getting a V40. Any problems experienced so far? And how much does it costs to replace the Volvo brake pads?
  • conradwconradw Member Posts: 2
    I talked the two local Volvo dealers in the area about the gas grade the Volvoes require, but is still sort of confused.

Dealer 1: Among the European auto makers, only Volvo requires only regular 87 grade gas. All the others require premium gas. He told me what was shown on the internet, such as Edmunds, was not correct.

Dealer 2: Although the owner's manual specifies premium gas, you can comfortably use the regular one from any established gas vendor. He himself had been using the regular one and there was no problem. He also said if the regular one did not work, then just went up one notch.

So the question remains that if the regular one is fine, why does Volvo even specify the premium in their manual to begin with?
  • thomasmithomasmi Member Posts: 6
    Have any of you V40 owners experienced problems with the plastic trim (integral w/ tail lights)on the rear hatch? Mine has cracked above and below the gate latch, (i.e. between the latch and the glass). Not sure if the extremes in temps. caused cracking or if it's prone to crack due to the narrow width of plastic above latch. Seems like a
    design flaw, although minor, that could have been worked out over the course of the V40's history.
    Thanks for the input.
This discussion has been closed.