Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    For the tranny shift problem that was mentioned bout a month or so ago?
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    TSB 02-07-30-030. Came out in Oct 02. 1-2 shift shudder,vibration,slip,or chuggle. Install generator voltage sense circuit. Chev/GMC 2001-2003 with 4L60E auto trans.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Thanks alot Tommy...just what i needed.
  • alnolealnole Member Posts: 7
    My original side view mirrors (old chrome one piece) fold in when driving at speeds 60mph or greater. Is there way replace an inner component or do I have to replace both mirrors in their entirety? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    and you will find an adjustment to tighten the mount of the mirror. Takes maybe five minutes per side.

Jim
    The only place I located to remove the cover is on the bottom of the mirror ( a screw with a star head, not phillips) I saw no other way to remove cover, does that sound about right?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    All it holds on is the little cover. When you take the cover off, you will see the screws that actually hold the mirror on, and the friction adjustment for the swing arm.

Jim
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat -- Our topic tonight is "Warranties: Are they worth it?"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!
  • texsuntexsun Member Posts: 23
    bigfur - I installed the K&N FIPK on my 2002 6.0L/auto/3.73 this time last year and immediately noticed the increase in horsepower, but not so much improvement on the mpg. One thing I noticed is on hills where the tranny usually geared down on my daily commute, the truck now pulls thru at a steady RPM, 2200 RPM @ 75 mph. Has to be saving some gas since no longer gearing down.....yeah, the extra air moving thru the filter is loud when under a load, but I sure like the increased power, especially when pulling the travel trailer. Now that I've installed the dual FlowMasters, I don't hear the air intake - haha!

As to the 5.3, after driving mine, my bud bought the FIPK for his truck, 2002 5.3/auto/3.42, and he is happy with the inproved performance and thought it money well spent.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Just dropping by to say hello. Hope you and your Rado's are still runnning strong!

Jag
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    It's been a while since I've checked in on the site, no issues with my '03 Silverado to report.

Later!
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    2001 Extended cab, 4WD, 3.73 gears, 8.1 liter, allison. Loaded a stock trailer with 3350 pounds of cattle and took them to a sale. Total trip was 111 miles. Chose 60mph for my speed, and tow/haul mode. Started by climbing a long hill - went right up to 60 mph - no problem. Went up other long hills in which it shifted down to 3rd gear - maintained 60. Came back with empty trailer in regular mode - not tow/haul. Had a certain amount of idleing while hooking up the trailer, waiting in line at the sale, and a few stop lights I had to wait for. Most of the trip while loaded and climbing was in 4th gear - Down hill it went to 5th. Coming back unloaded was all in 5th. Mileage was right on 10 mpg. cowboyjohn
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    of the trailer and cattle ?

My GMC is the same except for 4.10 gears and I get about 10 towing 7800 lb

Kip
  • kubmankubman Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought my 04 silverado. Its a 1500, Z71, 5.3 liter. So far the truck has been great...lots more power than my 99 silv. The only problem I've noticed is that the Hi beam indicator on the dash is really bright at night...almost blinding. I was wondering if there are any fixs for this. I still want to be able to see it, but just dim it down some. Any advice would be great. Thanks
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    I have the same issue with my '03. I have not come up with an elegant fix. Is there one out there?

Phil
  • superq1957superq1957 Member Posts: 5
    I have read some of the discussion related to rough idle, but they have problems with acceleration as well. The only problem I'm have is that it idles rough for a minute or two then it fine again. It's real noticeable when you're stopped at a traffic light. Gas mileage is excellent as well. I took it to the Dealer and they informed me that I need a throttle body and injector cleaning. This was done and now the rough seems to be worst & noticable. Is this a common problem with the 99 Sierra and is there a TSB? By the way my truck has a 105,000 miles on it and runs fine.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    #03-08-49-006 - (05/15/2003)
    IP Cluster High Beam Indicator too Bright (Reprogram IPC)

2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

Condition
    Some customers may comment that the IP cluster high beam indicator lamp is too bright.

Correction
    To reduce the high beam indicator intensity level, reprogram the IPC with the service calibration that was available from Techline on the TIS2000 version 4.5 or later for 2003. This calibration is an electronic calibration and is not available from GMSPO.
  • kubmankubman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the TSB, Ryan. I will get it checked out.
    I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow.
    Phil
  • pitbullmuttpitbullmutt Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have a 03 LS sportside with stock radio with CD.
    I have had the truck for 3months with 4000 miles.2 times now the radio has power but no sound what so ever. The dealer says it is the anti-theft being triggered and they unlock it. It seems to them to be common. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what is the solution? Thanks so much, this is driving me crazy.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    ok the truck has 105K miles on it now, and it's time for rear brake pads, but upon further inspection, i found that the inner brake shoe(emergency?) has a bald spot.
    does anyone have a procedure to removing and replacing the shoe?

thx,
  • stef7stef7 Member Posts: 22
    It is quit simple to replace, you take the caliper off, then loosen the parking brake cable adjustment (near the frame under the driver seat) then take the disk-drum out and you will have access to the brake shoe. It is a one piece assembly. Replace with a new one. Don't forget to loosen the adjustment behind the new shoe because you won't be able to put the drum back in since some thickness will be added . If there is a ridge on the drums, you should have them turned. I just replace mine last month, and it's working perfectly fine. Don't forget to readjust your cable under the seat!!

Good luck!
    I had this happen to me once on my 2003 Silverado. I took it to the dealer and have not had a problem since. There is a service bulletin on this that involves a re-program (02-08-44-020B MAR 03 Audio System - No Audio From Speakers At Times). Maybe, it is time to take your truck to a different dealer.

Phil
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Sorry, but I do not know the weight of the trailer. It is a standard stock trailer about 20feet long. It will hold about 5 to 6 of adult cattle. cowboyjohn
  • due39due39 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1999 Silverado, My SERVICE ENGINE SOON dash light came on recently, The owners manual it says it should go off after a few short trips, but it has not. Cause maybe bad gas. Engine runs fine. If anyone can help Please do. Thanks Duey
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Try disconnecting the battery for ten minutes.
  • bsmoodhabsmoodha Member Posts: 17
    I just saw a Eaton Corporation video at Braeger Chevy in Milwaukee. It showed how the Eaton G 80 Diff. is a locking diff. With a 100 RPM difference 50% of the torque goes to the non-rotating wheel. Great video.
  • stvokcstvokc Member Posts: 32
    Long or hard starting problems. Chugs/rough idle until you first give it the gas then idles ok. I have 2000, 5.3, 50,000 miles now. Seems to be getting worst with time. Is this injector clogging problems, fuel pressure regulator problem or fuel pump problem? Any ideas?

Engine seems to rattle/ping under light acceleration or constant highway speed with normal engine warmed.
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    I believe I have read the fix for this here before. Perhaps Ryan or Obe remembers. Front passenger side wind noise, highway speeds coming from the passanger side A-pillar hood area. Sounds like a piece of plastic trim is vibrating-knocking against something like the windshield. Not real loud but once you know it is there it makes you turn up the stereo. Any ideas??
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    File in Section: 08 - Body and Accessories

Bulletin No.: 99-08-110-004

Date: May, 1999

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Squeak/Rattle Noise from Front Hinge Pillar/Instrument Panel Area
    (Replace Windshield Side Garnish Molding)

Models:
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Models

Condition

Some owners may comment about a squeak or rattle noise near the right or the left hinge pillar/Instrument panel (IP) area. The condition may be more noticeable when driving over bumps.

Cause

The condition may be caused by a loose fit of the windshield side garnish molding to the hinge pillar, allowing movement of the trim.

Correction

Replace the windshield side garnish molding on affected vehicles. Use the appropriate part numbers listed below. Refer to the Interior Trim subsection In the 1999 Silverado and Sierra Service Manual for replacement procedures.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor
    Operation Description Labor Time

Molding Asm., Use published
    C2000 W/S Side Garnish - labor
                    Replace (Right) operation time

Molding Asm., Use published
    C2001 W/S Side Garnish - labor
                    Replace (Left) operation time

For some reason the parts table don't show but another solution was to use addtional urethane sealant to hold the trim in place. Email me if you want the part numbers.
  • due39due39 Member Posts: 8
    Obyone--- First I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes. Connected the Battery "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" still was on all the time. Then I disconnected it for about 2 hours. Light went out and so far has stayed out. Thanks your advise seems to have worked. I also blew out all the dust with air. and cleaned the gas cap. Due39
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    Obyone

Thanks for the info. I will contact my dealer today. Took it in for the 1-2 shift shutter with the TSB found here. They stated that the TSB did not apply to the 03 due to a two vs three pin connector somewhere. They loaded up some recent shift updates and have not had the problem since.

Does anyone have a 03, LT with automatic climate control that when you turn OFF the AC the indicator (snowflake) comes on? I have not read the OM but I thought I would ask here.

Also has GM changed the torque curve from the 00 vs the 03, 5.3. I would swear that this truck accelerates better when pulling my boat from a stop.
    I have a 1994 Silverado with 300,000 miles. Been having this problem since late last winter. In the morning or whenever the engine is cold, I start it up and head to work. Until the engine is beginning to warm up after 5 minutes or so, when I hit the gas and take the engine from 1500 rpm to something higher the engine hesitates (stalling and backfiring once)but usually catches right away. It is like everything goes dead for a split second then catches. Once warm the engine is very responsive and drives fine. There is no problem starting the engine, cold or hot. I have noticed this when the air temp is below 55 degrees, I didn't really have any issues in the heat of the summer (even early in the am) but now noticing as it has gotten cooler. Any one have any thoughts-- I am thinking the coolent temp sensor but my check engine light is not on. Thanks in advance.
    i know i need the brake shoe for the rears on my '00 rado, but does anyone know where to get the shoes other than the dealer?
    and, while i'm still begging, does anyone have a procedure from the manual that can help me with replacing the shoe?
    are you talking about the caliper?

if so heres instructions per helms manual

FRONT REMOVAL

1. remove 2/3 of the brake fluid from the mastr cylinder
    2. jack truck
    3. remove wheel
    4. Using a C Clamp or something like a c clamp compress the caliper piston until it bottoms in the bore
    5. disconnect the brake hose at the caliper by removing the inlet fitting bolt
    6. remove the caliper mounting bolts
    7. remove the caliper
    8. inspect the caliper

INSTALLATION

1. Install caliper mounting bolts (80 lb-ft)
    2. connect the brake hose by installing the inlet fitting bolt (33 lb-ft)
    3. bleed the brakes
    4. install tire
    5. lower vehicle

Only difference for the rear is there are caliper guide pin bolts

Reinstalling guid pin bolts
    1. remove all adhesive patch from bolts
    2. clean threads
    3. apply threadlocker (gm pn: 12345493) or red locktite #272 to the threads
    4. Install and torque bolts to 31 lb-ft

UH OH i think you need info on the parking brake shoe right? Its on the next page haha ill leave all the info i posted cause i am sure its useful

PARKING BRAKE SHOE
    Removal
    1. Jack truck take off tire
    2. Remove caliper (see above) and mounting bracket as an assembly
    3. Relieve tension on the park brake cables by loosening the nut on the equalizer
    4. remove parking bake cable from lever
    5. remove rotor
    6. remove axle shaft
    7. remove park brake shoe return springs
    8. remove park brake shoe anchor springs and pins
    9. remove the park bake shoes

there is a drawing if you would like me to scan this and email it to you let me know (Ryanb0928@yahoo.com)

Ryan
    i wasn't aware that the axle had to be pulled though.........;o((
  • bonreabonrea Member Posts: 48
    What is the diffrence in the "C" and the "K" series pickups?
    I know I ask a lot of maybe stupid questions but I am trying to learn this stuff.

Thanks
    c = 2wd
    k = 4wd
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I have my GM trailering guide booklet which can answer the questions you were asking about towing with your truck.
    Your profile lists 1500 C/K, which one is it?

Do you have the 2wd or 4wd ?? Reg cab or extended cab? What engine? What rear end gear (3:42, 3:73 or 4:10) Factory tow pagkage? This is info needed to determine truck capabilities for trailering.

Ray T.
    2001 GMC Sierra K 1500 Z71 4WD, Ext Cab 4 door, 5.3L, 3.73 rear end, factory towing package stating 600lbs tung Waight.

Thanks...
    would you please post or email the link to the other GM truck site................this place is deader than a fence post.
    what happened? this place use to rock and roll......;-(
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    used to hang/post here quite a bit. but it's been awhile. anyways, here's the semi-regular (but not really) update.

'00 rado ext cab LS, z71, 5.3, 3.73 blah blah blah.

been averaging about 15 mpg for the duration. just turned 60k last night. still love it...no major problems yet (knock on wood). it's never seen anything but mobile one and ac delco filters and i do all the maintenance myself. not really sure what else to say, because nothing much has happened worth reporting.

shouts out to oby, babs, mgdvhman, rayt2, and all you other clowns out there that used to help me pick on that what's his name with the tundra. apparently all that fun has come to an end. oh well. take care all, i'll be back in another 30k or so...

kyle
    (kjw33@att.net)
    the post count might be up to 3525.........LOL
  • punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    I know these subjects have been covered before, but humor me.

When my '01 Z71 was under warranty, I had a driveshaft clunk. Dealer lubed spline, put her back together and it worked just fine. Second time I had the problem, they changed the transfer case fluid and it worked fine. Now, outside of warranty, it has come back. Does anyone have the new nickel plated spline, and does it work? Has anyone gotten GM to install this post-warranty free of charge?

My second question - and no 2 dealers seem to answer it the same - Does the synthetic rear diff fluid require an additive. If so, what is it and who carries it?

Thanks in advance.
    "2001 GMC Sierra K 1500 Z71 4WD, Ext Cab 4 door, 5.3L, 3.73 rear end, factory towing package stating 600lbs tung Waight"

OK, the 2000 GM Trailering Guide says Gross Combination Weight Ratings for Trailers - Automatic Transmission is 13000 lbs. as you have your truck configured. My book says your max trailer wieght is 8500 lbs. but do the formula I copied and pasted from Jtt3 from the GMC board.

#788 of 803 6400 GVWR by jtt3 Sep 24, 2003 (10:33 pm)
     "Lets use the 6400 GVWR for example:
      This is rating for truck only but hitch weight has to be added also.
    Truck empty is 5000 plus 2 people 300 plus a tank of gas 200 plus trailer hitch weight 700 lbs eguals 6200 lbs which is OK 200 lbs to spare.

Now I beleive this truck has a GCWR (Gross combination weight rating of 13000 lbs.take the 6400 lbs and subtract the hitch weight and this becomes 5700 lbs.
    Now take 13000 lbs and subtract the 5700 gives you a trailer weight of 7300 lbs you can pull "

Ray T.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That puts a lid on the question.

Most of the trailers we have looked at are way above this 7300lbs GVWR (trailer waight) so we will have to look at getting a smaller version.
    But the tung waight is close to or above the 600lbs. Is this a real concern? The trailer dealers are saying no but I am concerned...

Thanks again for all you help on this.
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    I have a 01 Z-71 short bed and just had the nickel plated yoke put in. It worked just fine. This was my third time complaining about it and they finally did something.First they said the yoke was for ext. cabs ,then they greased it and now replaced it.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The additive used in the past was for a limited slip rear differentials. The locking differential in the current Silverado does not require it.
    Here's what I did with my truck using this formula (after the fact): I was told that the trailer could match my GVWR for truck and still be OK,.....just glad the gremlin in my head was whispering to buy at "under" GVWR listing of truck. Using the calculations I now see why.

2000 Silverado Ex. Cab, 5.3L, 2wd, Auto, 3/4 ton Short Box, 3:73 Locker, Z85 H.D. Pkg & Factory Tow package.

GVWR 7200 lbs. ULW 5000 lbs. approx.
    28' Travel Trailer GVWR 6600 lbs. Hitch Dry Wgt. 528 lbs. (I use a Weight Distributing Hitch)

7200 GVWR
    -600 lbs. hitch wet weight (approx)
    -6600 lbs.

13000 GCVWR
    =6400 lbs. Trailer wgt. (I'm over by 200 lbs. but I never have the truck or trailer at max. weight anyway so I watch my loading of both truck & trailer to keep within limits)

If I had listened to the R.V. dealer he would have sold me a unit that would not have allowed me much room for camping equip. much less the wife and kid! So you get the picture. That's why their called "salesman".

Ray T.
  • stoutporterstoutporter Member Posts: 13
    hey man......good to see you here....I am like you....be back in 30K.....maybe....maybe I will change that cab filter by then!?.....still waiting for Babs to come on by and show me the ropes...LOL.....76K and still coughin'.....(not really)....I still buy rounds for the service man....pints up to the armed forces - Porter
This discussion has been closed.