Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the hand brake quite a bit in daily driving, and I like to have a short tight one. The first click in my integra produces some results, and the second click much firmer ones. I find that I need at least four clicks on any sort of incline to hold the RSX, and a solid 6-8 click yank to slow it while it is moving.

Since rear discs were less common back in the days of my ancient integra ('88), I imagine they were putting in bigger drum brakes for the hand brake then than they are now.

Something someone mentioned in the Civic SI forum has rung true for my RSX also: if I set the brake at night so that it holds the car still, I can come out in the morning, depress the clutch to start the car and have it roll...in other words, the hand brake is no longer holding the car - it has let up overnight. I would never park this car in neutral.

But this car is so much more a driver's car than my last one in almost every respect, that these minor quibbles bother me not in the least! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Hey, I just read in a auto magazine that RSX is being remodeled (maybe that is not the right word) in JUly 2004. Does anyone know anything about this. I saw a picture and it looks like a moderate change in exterior.
    about the right time...at least for a minor tweaking. I think the '07 will be all new. I am going to search for references, as I would like to see pictures of the "freshening", but if you stop by again, perhaps you could mention which mag that was?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I was in Barnes and Noble and was looking at 6 different magazines, but they were all current. The back supposedly takes it cue from the old integra the front frankly looks like they swapped the neon for the sunfire.
    I guess I am a bit surprised that there is not more discussion in this room about the mid cycle refreshening. It would seem to be a big deal in terms of buying now or waiting a few more months. Anyone else have any other info Thanks
    like any mid-cycle freshening, it will most likely be cosmetic and minor. I doubt they will make any powertrain changes, since they will be bringing in the next gen in two years. Which means it does not impact the decision to buy now or wait very much. I will be anxiously checking the mail in the next few days, however, looking for car mags to come with pictures of the '05!

PS what does "swap the neon for the sunfire" mean? Do you think it currently looks like a Neon? Or the Sunfire?

Yes, i think it currently looks like a neon front, undistinguished, and I think they tinkered with the front to now look like a sunbird, ie not much improvement.
    and sunfire are two different cars. Sunfire is the one they still sell - it is the "twin" of the Chevy Cavalier.

I disagree that the current car looks like Neon, of course, because no way would I have bought it if I thought that, but I will certainly agree that it is not a stand-out in the world of cars! :-)

I am deciding between a honda civic ex vs the accura rsx. there were only two negatives on thie RSX that i am (still) hoping will be corrected in the refreshing, the back seat cannot comfortably accommodate anyone who is over 5'8" and the front end of the exterior looked so bland. they are redesigning both the front and the back.
    not looking at the SI because it is a hatchback? I only ask because otherwise it is the most direct competitor to RSX in the Civic line. And it has a more spacious back seat than the EX coupe. (and MUCH more spacious than the RSX)

and with the '04 update to the SI's front end, the looks have definitely improved. I like the looks better than the rest of the Civics now, where last year the opposite was true.

if you are ignoring the SI in favor of the EX, then you should be aware that the Civic will be a lot cheaper than the RSX, and will have a noticeable power deficit by comparison as well. And more body roll thru turns. And a timing belt with periodic replacement, vs the chain in the SI/RSX.

• feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    Hello all,

I am considering a 5 speed and the manufacturer claims fairly impressive fuel efficiency. With conservative driving, what is your experience? Is 33 mpg reasonable on the highway?
    Thanks
    yes, most certainly.

During break-in (conservative driving) I was averaging 31-32 in mixed driving.

Now that I am past that point and driving more energetically, I am still averaging 30.

So in an all-highway driving scenario, I am sure it would be easy to get 33 mpg, probably more like 35 (unless you are going 100 mph the whole way!).

I appreciate your quick response. Friday, prior to reading your answer, I committed to a new RSX. It was reassuring to read your answer after the fact. I take delivery tomorrow. My previous car is a 1992 Acura Legend with over 180,000 miles. It has been a great car, and that I why I am returning to Acura.

Thanks again.
    I don't think you will regret it. It will have different driving dynamics from a '92 Legend, that is for sure, but as a small sport coupe it is buttoned down very tight, and with all the Honda quality of old, from what I have seen so far! :-)

• michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    RSX is a great car, although my MPG is a little worse than nippononly's. I drive a 2002 manual base RSX, mostly city, and get 27.5 in the summer, 25.5 in the winter (Chicago). On road trips (highway) I get 30.0 but I go 80 on the highway :). If I went 65 I'm sure mpg would improve. Not sure about getting 35 mpg like mippononly says, that seems a bit optimistic to me!
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    My mpg is about what others are saying...about 28 overall with my '02 type S.

On another note, has anyone found a cargo liner for the RSX? I've found one that covers the area behind the rear seats, but I'd like one that covers the back of the rear seats when folded down. We have 2 dogs and I need to protect the rear area when they come along.

Thanks!
    Yesterday, I picked up my new red RSX. First impressions are very favorable. The radio sounds better than I anticipated (The 92' Legend I traded had a BOSE system, and by comparison, the new radio is poor, but overall, I am pleased.) I quickly found a comfortable driving position, and love the handling of the vehicle. The dealer is about 90 miles from home, so I put a few miles on it getting home. Here in New Hampshire, we do very little "city" driving, so I have high expectations for fuel efficiency. I went out last night to check out the lights .... they seem brighter than the Legend (I am delighted with that as well).

Safe driving to all.
    cargo liner here. But then, I haven't been looking for one - sorry! :-)

Thanks to these boards, I was prepared for the two most common complaints about this car before I bought it: poor radio and lots of road noise (mainly from the tires). Knowing ahead of time makes a lot of difference, and I am extremely satisfied so far.

Anyone besides me getting inordinate amounts of static shock from the door when they get out of the car and close it?

felt, the base stereo is poor (Clarion headunit, Panasonic speakers). I replaced the headunit with an Alpine 9807 and it makes a WORLD of difference, even with the stock speakers. Well worth the money for a large increase in sound quality. Only think I don't like about the Alpine is the button layout is a little cramped.

Since nippononly brought up tires, I have a question. If I replace the stock Michelins with a high performance tire, will the ride get stiffer? My wife already can feel every bump in the road and hates it - she wouldn't like it if it got any stiffer. Does it depend on which tire I buy? (currently leaning toward Bridgestone Potenza). Thanks if you guys have any feedback on this!
    the ride would get harder (and possibly even noisier) if you go to more sport-oriented tires. And I would bet it differs by brand and model of tire you buy. Are you hoping to accomplish one thing in particular with the switch?

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Here in New Hampshire, we do very little "city" driving, so I have high expectations for fuel efficiency.

Congratulations on your new ride. Did you get your RSX at Sunnyside in Nashua?

I get mine serviced there (routine maintenance) and they have an excellent staff. If the service maintenance requires that the car be there all day then they give you a loaner TL for the day....very nice. :-)
  • frailerfrailer Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks,

I'm in the process of working out a lease for an Acura RSX-S. One of the models the dealership has has an "Autobahn" treatment. This is a clear plastic coating on the front and the back of the vehicle for "protection". Of course this treatment adds to the price of the vehicle (will increase monthly payments by 2 dollars).

My concern is not the cost, but the eventual wear of this plastic coating. What is the verdict on this kind of thing. Bogus or functional?

Thanks for the advice,

Tom
    Nippononly, well I am trying to improve traction (for launch), grip (in the corners), and road noise, whilst simultaneously trying not to piss off my wife by getting a stiffer ride. :)
    a tire with better tread grip and stiffer sidewalls - which is very UNLIKELY to also reduce noise, and will make the ride more jarring. Perhaps you should consider suspension upgrades instead?

• bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I reduced the tire pressure to 29 psi and the ride is much, much nicer.

Felt, you are better than I am if you found a good driving position so quickly. I tried several different settings with the seat and steering wheel until I found the best position for me.

I love our RSX. I am 58 years old, and can't ever recall being so excited about a car.
    :) Well, I knew I probably wasn't going to get all of it, that's just my wish list. Forgetting about the noise factor for just a sec, I was really hoping that grippier tires wouldn't mean a stiffer ride, but is sounds like that's the case. :(
  • alkrollalkroll Member Posts: 3
    I may be in the market for a new car in the coming year, and the RSX-S is high on my list. Can any of you tell me if the Type S requires premium gas? How about the base model? I live in Chicago, and our gas prices are quite high right now.
    base model = regular 87 octane
    type S = premium 91 octane or greater

as for michiganman, I should add that this is the first car I have had in a while where the chassis outclasses the tires, which is to say the car turns so quick and so true that it is easy to get the tires a-squealin' before you realize it. I like that the car is so capable, but when it comes time to replace the tires, I may look at upgrading.

There is a great discussion on Edmunds somewhere (use the search tool at the left) on tires, which you should check out. In general, the little I know is that if you want better dry traction you can go with a really good sport tire (one that is NOT all-season, which is one of the compromises of the stock tire for the RSX), but it will be at the expense of everything else: harder ride, poorer wet traction, and especially more noise. Also less treadwear. But you can probably get the handling to go from good to very good or even outstanding.

Better cornering comes from suspension and stiffer tire sidewalls. You will also get the stiffer sidewalls if you go with that summer performance tire, but it does make the ride more jarring. That is why I mentioned you can take a different route instead, like putting on bigger sway bars and other suspension modifications, which is a more civilized (ie better sport handling but better non-sport ride too) and more expensive way to accomplish your goal. Upgraded suspension pieces can make a lot more difference in general than upgraded tires (ideally you would want some of both).

Hello All,

For background: New "basic" RSX owner, less than 1000 miles

The dealer told me that both the basic and the S will run on 87 octane. Both have anti-knock sensors, and will adjust the spark advance. The S, however, runs better on 91 octane.

He stated Honda benifits from burning 91 octane because the S engine burns cleaner on 91 octane, thus improving the LEV (low emision) rating.

He also told me the tires are very expensive. Personally, I am delighted with the handling, and ride. My first impression was the tires were noisy .... it was raining, and that seemed to intensify the noise. The next day on dry pavement, I have no complaint. We have few concrete roads here, but I suspect they will be noisy on concrete. Maybe the S type would not be as comfortable. The ride is stiffer. Living in the "north country" of NH, I need the all season tire.

alkroll - In making your decision, pay close attention to what your needs are. You will find the basic RSX is plenty peppy .... and I got over 33 mpg on my first tank of gas. That is impressive. The S type does produce 40 more horsepower, but it is only in the additional 1000 rpm's. Look at the power graph, and you will see that for virtually all normal driving, the power for the basic and S engine are identical. But the S extends an additional 1000 rpm's. True, the S has a 6 speed transmission and stiffer suspension, and stiffer tires, but the ride is what some are complaining about.

My interest: a quick "Sports Sedan" that delivers good fuel efficiency; is comfortable and attractive. It will never appear on a drag strip; nor be driven faster than 80 mph (and then only occassionally when passing). I found those requirement in the "basic" RSX. Others will have different criteria that will warrant the S type, but there is a "price" to be paid in terms of initial cost, ride, and tire noise.

Happy RSX riding to all.
    I believe the RSX-S has the same tires as the base. However, the suspension is different.

nippononly, thanks for the great suggestion! I've been researching lots on Edmunds as well as some other sites (not sure if I'm allowed to say which ones).
    You may be right. I thought that somewhere I had read that the S had a higher performance tire to accommodate it higher speed capability.

Good RSX'n to all
    top speed for the two RSX's (manuals) anyway? I believe it is 132 mph for one of the two. Is that the S or the base? And what is the other one? Anyone?

I skimmed several web sites, and it appears the top spped for the S is about 149 mph ..... not that I care. I suppose it is nice to know, but only at Bonniville would I ever be interested in such a speed.

Happy RSX'n to all.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Bought my S off Chris there ,as I could'nt deal w/ No Hampton.
          The only thing missing is heated seats. Do you see that in the future?
            WRX has them.GTI and most of your German cars.
           If you get your Acura in Canada you get them also.
    Hello All,

I am pretty excited about my mileage.

I now have 1200+ miles. I have bought several tanks of gas now, and the mileage has all been above 33 mpg. Yesterday, I filled up, observed the gas in the neck of the tank (so it was not a false reading) and it calculated at 40.4 mpg. Fantastic. That was all NH highway ... meaning about 55 mph; very little town traffic; no A/C. If this car will deliver that efficiency, I am glad I did not buy a hybrid .... they do not do much better.

Happy RSX'n to all
    its max then: 40.4. If you were going 55 most of the time with no traffic and no A/C, I can't imagine what could be done to get the mileage any higher. Still, I am impressed.

I haven't done better than 34 or so, but I can't lay off the gas enough to better my mileage - it is just too much fun the other way! :-)

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Bought my S off Chris there ,as I could'nt deal w/ No Hampton.
          The only thing missing is heated seats. Do you see that in the future?
            WRX has them.GTI and most of your German cars.
           If you get your Acura in Canada you get them also.

I just don't understand that either. Don't the 2004 have heated mirrors now too? I know they did in the Canadien version, but I hear the US version has them now too.

It makes no sense to me to not offer heated seats if they are already designing them into the car.
    either way about heated seats, but I sure wouldn't mind having air-conditioned seats, if those are available. The seat heaters would be an extra cost, even if they are designed into the car. Perhaps they thought less people would want them in the warmer climate of the U.S., and that it would be better to reduce the price a little...

Yes, the mirrors are heated in the '04 RSX for the U.S.

How do you keep it under 55 on the highway? I get lousy milage in cold weather, and maybe it 's the 91 octane w/MTBE in it.
           My S averages 28mpg winter. 31 summer.
    I did it with X-pel and so did Himler. Howevr,after breakind 2 fog lamp lens@ $129.00 a piece. I put sone guard on them . No problems since. I live in Maine.
          Xpel is in Texas and excellent to deal with. You put it on with baby shampoo. Did my bumpers didn't need to . There is plastic coating on them already. . So all you need to do is hood. Xpel will tell you where to take it ,if you don't want to do it youself. I screwed up and they sent me a free piece. It's the stuff that's put on Plane props .I fly and so I got it.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Hey, all, just checking in again. I'm getting close to 20 kmi. on my 2002 DSM RSX-S.

I also heard that the RSX is going to be updated a little for the 2005 model. Which RSX did Acura present at the NYC Auto Show?

felt, since you live in NH, do you plan on taking your RSX to Mt. Washington? :)

There are tires that can give you many features that are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I was hunting around Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com) and it looks like the Continental ContiExtremeContact tires are the best bet in terms of dry, wet, snow performance, rating, durability, and noise. I'd like to get these when I'm ready to upgrade my rubber - and move up an inch to 17". :)
    As mentioned above, I am well satisfied with the fuel efficiency of the RSX. You need to understand, however, that here in New Hampshire, we have conditions that many of you do not have .... light traffic. I achieved my mileage driving over to Portland, Maine. The road is mostly flat, 2 lane, virtually no traffic, and it would be difficult to drive much faster than 55. I do not think I will do that well often, but I believe that 35-38 mpg is an achievable goal.

I have always gotten good mileage. I owned a Mazda RX-7 and averaged about 24 mpg. Pretty good for the rotary engine. I drive steady, and avoid fast acceleration. I do enjoy the feel of acceleration, but do not push it on every start.

RSX up Mt. Washington? I doubt it. I drove up last year in my 1992 Acura Legend, and it is hard on the transmission going up, and on the brakes coming down. You keep it in first gear (or low on an automatic) going up and coming down. But on a clear day, the view is fantastic.

Here in the northeast, the refiners switch to a winter blend gasoline. It routinely gets 2 or so less mpg than summer gasoline. Clean air!

How many of you use synthetic oil? I have it in my other vehicle, and feel I will put it in the RSX crankcase when I change oil.

Happy RSX'n to all.
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I took delivery of a satin-silver RSX (5-sp manual) at the end of March. I have around 1500 miles on it already. This car carves up highway on-ramps like a knife! 65-80 MPH acceleration is accomplished with authority. It's definitely what I expected, and then some! In stop-and-go traffic, it steers go-cart quick! Driven in a manner to not attract the attention of the local constabulary, it's calm, cool & collected.

(These comments are coming from a guy who just got plain BORED with the family CAMRY. My wife is perfectly satisfied with that car.)

In looking for something sporty, I needed a fair amount of utility. With the seats folded and the privacy cover removed, it can swallow a folded 3hp lawnmower - EASY! I don't plan to make a habit out of that, but it's nice to know that the utility is definitely there.

The fuel economy in mixed driving was observed at 32-33 MPG! LOVE IT!!! With no bodyside moldings on the accessory list, I am forced to be really careful where I park this puppy.

I've read a few negative comments about the OEM tires (Michelin MXM4). So far, they're pretty quiet on smooth asphalt surfaces, but a little on the rough side on grooved and pitted concrete. To me, that's to be expected running a low-profile 50 series tire on a 16" wheel. How this tire wears over the long run....well....I'll just wait and see. I don't do burn-outs, so that should help me keep 'em a bit longer. One word can sum up my impression of this car. SLICK!
    your experience echoes mine, and I can't say enough good things about this car. I am still getting 32 mpg at every fill-up despite driving the thing at 90 mph half the time I am on the highway - I just can't help myself! It seems to want it. Just reached 2700 miles. No oil consumption at all.

The really nice thing about the RSX is its dual personality: drive it into town and putter along in traffic, and it has good low-end pull and is so docile, you would never know it loves to eat pavement at higher speed.

I also wonder about the Michelin MXMs. I am not planning on putting money into replacing them until they have some significant wear, but they are really loud, and the grip doesn't seem that good to me. Not only have they squealed at times when I didn't think I was cornering that hard, but they are easy to chirp from a stop, even sometimes going into second gear. And the grip in the wet is terrible.

I thought this was Michelin's best V-rated all-season sport tire, but maybe I am wrong. If it is, I am not that impressed, and might consider going with those Continentals instead when the time comes. Maybe I will do a little research at TireRack.

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We have a Tire Rack specialist here in Town Hall to answer all your tire questions. His name is Connor and he posts under the name 'tirerack'. The discussion is Tires, tires, tires
  • shorthairptrshorthairptr Member Posts: 14
    I have been hearing alot about the car being noisy. How loud does it get? I was thinking about buying a RSX at the end of the month but now the noise is scaring me.

How bad does it get? Is it as loud as lets say a Mazda Miata's rotary engine?

As far as the type of driving I do it is mostly highway going 65 and higher.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I'm trying to buy one of these vechile but can't figure it out which one is better. Please help!
    in the RSX is almost exclusively tire roar, and it can get noisy. When you test drive it, take it out on the highway, steer it over some old pavement, and make sure to get the speed up where you would normally have it.

There is also a little bit of wind noise around the window and the A-pillar, but the engine noise is almost non-existent - those tires are what drown out the stereo.

Oh yeah, and the flip side of that equation is the stock stereo, which is average at best, and is no match for the tire roar at freeway speeds. Check the radio out too.

And I should probably mention again that I was mindful of these two issues when I test drove mine, because I had read about them here on Edmunds, and there is still no better value out there at the $20K mark than RSX. :-)

(at least not for me)

pathfinder: Prelude is a classy ride with an amazing engine. RSX has a great engine too, but I would rate the Prelude higher. And I am surprised you can get an '01 Prelude SH for the same price as an '02 RSX base.

• ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    Is it as loud as lets say a Mazda Miata's rotary engine?

A Mazda Miata doesn't have a rotary engine.
This discussion has been closed.