Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    Reminds me of something I read somewhere, and that seems to make sense to me, that demand for a premium-priced subcompact sedan is understandably scarce.

IIRC, Integra sedans only made up about 10% of sales.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Don't be shocked to see a RWD sedan with displacement in the 2.0 to 2.5L range by MY 2003--Acura isn't going to just sit by and watch the IS300 eat into 3-Series sales. There has been rampant speculation and even some in-house design concepts for such a car, which (it is assumed) will use many drivetrain components from the S2000. Now that BMW is tooling-up for the new 1-Series, a new Acura compact sedan might get a big boost from pent-up demand in the market.
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    Not everyone wants a larger car or a coupe, but we might want all the luxury goodies.

For now, I'll just be happy with my Acura EL (Canada's replacement for the Integra sedan since 1997), but it really need some more juice like the RSX.
    I don't think that Acura would do somthing like this. They're obviously too concerned with boosting their corporate image right now, and bringing the EL to the US with a hotter set-up might be perceived as "watering down" the brand, even though the damn thing would probably be a hit. The brand definately needs a small 4-door.

There is now more info about the RSX available thru www.acura.com Not much in the way of specs, mostly pics and market-speak.
  • ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    Not to belabor the point, but to me the pictures of the RSX resemble a Cavalier. Perhaps it will look more distinguished in person. And yes, although Honda/Acura styling tends to be on the conservative side, most of the styles do age well.
    Yeah, depressing, isn't it? Right down to the point on the car's nose.
  • qin2qin2 Member Posts: 26
    The exterior styling I think is pretty terrible:

But the interior is one of the best I've ever seen:

So I can't decide whether I like it or not, guess the price will be what matters.
    A little but not really, it's just the general size and shape that are similar.

I don't think the RSX is beautiful (the propertions are a little off, hood too short, etc) but it has clean, classy lines.

The Cavalier has gentle curves that don't fit together right. The overall effect makes me think of a flabby person whose [non-permissible content removed] is a bit too big. :)
    That profile shot sure does make it look like an egg, but the rear view shows a much tighter tail than the Cavalier's. Damn! That graphite finish on the wheels looks nice--I hadn't seen that yet.

The dash is much higher than the current car's.

Too bad there are no aluminum pedal covers.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    yeah, that interior is awesome! It looks very clean and appealing.
    The exterior is questionable for sure. I imagine the performance will be quite strong.... but I just think $24K (which is what I've heard the Type-S is going to be around) is too much for this car.
    It's a wedge. The Cavalier is more of a pear.
    Weird, anyone who thinks the RSX looks like an
    egg must not like the look of Porsche's at all. :)
    Bzzzzt! Would you like to try again? The current Porsche vehicles make strong visual statements. I think they look great. The RSX's styling, on the other hand, is the automotive equivalent of wallpaper.

And yes, $24 Large IS too much for this car, but I'm guessing that once any initial fever for it dies down, dealers will be back to the 2-3% over invoice method. Give it six months before MSRP is history.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    know a web site that will host your pics for free?
    Photopoint in no longer free so I can't post pics on here any more. I think they want a lot of money IMO, especially for someone like me who only stores a few pics and uses them a couple of times/mo.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    You ever seen a 928? Or a 944? Eggs with
    long-billed caps. ;)

Only the desperate pay MSRP, and there are
    precious few cars that people are desperate
    for. Am I the only one who just naturally
    assumed that- just like you said- pricing would
    soon settle down to the typical 2-3% over
    invoice?
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 8
    To think I've been waiting so long for the new Integ RSX and its looks are so conservative and not on the cutting edge at all.
    Someone tell me why not to wait for the SpecV,Focus SVT ,or buy a Mitsu GTX even a Celica.
    If you don't like what the RSX offers, you should
    wait and see and have a good look at other models
    coming out. Freedom of choice and competition
    are good. :)

But remember, with a body kit to suit your taste
    an RSX can look as cutting edge as you like. Some
    of the Photoshop work I've seen is really good.
    (And what else is Photoshop but prototyping for
    show mods, eh?)
  • sloankrsloankr Member Posts: 8
    Since this is the Hatchback discussion...

Does anyone have any information on the size
    of the luggage area (detailed measurements would
    be nice)

I need a 3'x2'x2' "brick" of space. The good news
    is that I only need seating for 2. Will the
    RSX handle my package?
    because you can always fold the rear seats down and have that 2' height that you 're looking for. When the rear seats are down you get one big space back there.

I once fit a 19" pc monitor (box) in the back of my GSR with the back seats down.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    For those that are not aware: if you don't own the picture, please just provide the url to the photo. This is to insure that we don't violate the copyright properties of another individual/website..., as also mentioned in our Town Hall Terms of Use. Thanks.

And now back to the subject of the Acura RSX. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchback/Station Wagons Message Boards
    Wow, that's pretty good (the 19" monitor box). One of the things I don't like about my Civic coupe is the fact that when I once had to move a 17" monitor (in the box) my only choices were "passenger seat" or "borrow friend's Blazer".
    The trunk opening wasn't tall enough...

Now, with the seats up the space is supposed to be 17.8 cu ft. There's even a picture online here.
    Shhhh...we all know what happened to Olds, don't we? (RIP, Oldsmobile, the car I learned to drive in. Oh, wait. I REALLY learned to drive in my RWD 1980 Corolla SR-5!)

Funny, though, now that you mention it. Automobile Mag thought that the RSX's C-pillar window treatment does look like the Alero Coupe's. *Yawn*
  • marshmphmarshmph Member Posts: 2
    If you are to look at the new 4 cyl sport cars coming out within the next few years they are all pretty similar. However, the RSX is different in many respects, it actually looks like it is heading in a complete opposite direction to the competition.

The Type-S has leather as a standard! That could be a problem depending on the point of view, IMO leather is NOT a good thing for sport cars like the integra (rsx) which is meant to be spun around corners at high speeds, and revved the heck out of. Having yourself sliding around in the seat doesn't work with the situation. If you look at the competition, none of them come with leather standard, and furthermore, cars like the SVT Focus wont even have the option. Also, the type-s doesn't even have a aggressive trim to boot. While the rest of the competition has cars that look and ride like they are suppose to.

Could it be me or is Acura softening up? I would hope to see maybe a Type-R on US soil by '03. If not, I see a major decline in sales if they want to go with a 'luxury' sport machine.

And what is with the i-Vtec? Until the new RSX can prove itself, I will stick with my 92 GS-R.
  • marshmphmarshmph Member Posts: 2
    that could be why. I just hoped that acura would keep with it's previous image. I like the way the previous integra would growl at high revs, take corners faster tham most FWD cars, and also how it looked 'out there' and unique. I'm sure body kits, mods, and other things can help the RSX apeal to the younger generation of racers. For me, the integra attracted me because of it's wide range of modifications available. I don't know if the same can be said here, because the new design doesn't look like it can be too outrageous once it has a body kit and such. But whatever happens, i'm sure the design team will rebound and throw something at us young ones. I'll be looking forward to that day!
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    Actually, a lot of people are interested in leather, and many of the world's ultimate sports cars come with leater ... Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Personally, I like leather, though heated seats would be a bonus here in Michigan.

By the way ... the Focus SVT does come with leather standard.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    The Celica GTS also comes with leather standard.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I'm sure you'll be able to get other silly-looking tail-lights for your RSX. The tuners and the street racers would never dare have amber turn signals, they're too safe. If amber turn signals could be installed on any car, I'd do it. Most GM cars are red, I hate it. Ford switches back and forth (see 96-97 versus 98-99 Taurus, 98-99 versus 00-01 Crown Vic, Mustangs since the beginning of time). Cobras have amber turn signals and no one complains about that. Every Mercedes, since almost forever, has had ambers although they don't look that way from 50 feet. Volkswagens since what, 66, have had amber signals, excepting a few Squarebacks.
  • wiwangwiwang Member Posts: 17
    With the new RSX's coming out, what's going to happen to prices of the "old" integras? I saw the TMV for a 01 gsr runs 19,370 something...is that including the 2000 Manufacture rebate? if not, does that mean one can expect to get a gsr for about 17,370 something? i recently came to a deal with a dealer for a 01 gsr for 18,600 + lifetime inspection + free every other oil change...is this a good deal? or should i be expecting prices around the high 17s? Please help as i must sign papers in 3 days!
    since when? I test drove one in Dec. '99 and it had cloth. Is this new for '01 models? Last I remember leather was an $800 option on both Celica models.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    wiwang: Good luck getting a new GSR for $17.3K. It 'll never happen. $19.3K is the price after the $2K rebate or factory to dealer incentive. Since dealer invoice is $20,600, with the $2K rebate it means the dealer pays $18,600 for a GSR. So you should work your way up from that. At $17.3K the dealer is loosing money (unless he has other kickbacks we don't know about). $19-19.3K is a fair price and dealer profit is at $400-700.
    I got my '99 GSR for $19,898 when there was a $1,000 incentive and dealer invoice was $20,450. Dealer made $548 (plus the 2-3% kickback the dealership owners get from Acura for each sale, but I 've been told many times salesmen don't make commission on that, it goes to the house..).
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    3 different dealers told me the GTS was leather only, unless it's special ordered with cloth. Since these cars are so rare anymore, nobody ever seen cloth. I would rather have cloth then BLACK leather. It's nice, but gets too hot.
    I wish it was a softer more 'cushy' leather too!
    I got priced a 2001 Integra GSR for $19,400 about 2 months ago. Don't know about incentives or whatever. I deal through the internet - so that's the 'no-haggle' pricing. Meaning it's lower that you'd get walking in the door to start, but it won't get any lower either....
    Hope this helps!
  • CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    I talked to my dealer yesterday and found some information regarding RX availability and such. My black on black Type- had a build date of June 7th and is expected to arrive at the dealership around the middle of July. RX brochures are expected to arrive at the dealerships around June 18th. Dealers are expecting their initial allotment of cars between July 2 and July 9th. My dealer stated that his initial allotment of Type- have already been sold, but there were some base models available. Acura is also doing a RX Ride-and-Drive prom for the dealers during the month of June. The one in Philadelphia is June 28th. No pricing information has been released yet though.
    Acura is intentionally moving the car upmarket, away from the boy racer image it has now (there were too many sales being lost to the Civic EX and Si). The car has too many luxo features that don't interest me, leather included. IF (so far, Honda says "no") the Type-R surfaces in the US, I hope that it will be more "in-your-face" than the bland Type-S.
    International reviews of the Type-R have remarked how plain the car looks, but they say it's the hottest factory front-driver on the planet.

Leather in GT-S: The leather remains an option. The dealer is ordering the cars with, pocketing the markup, and then telling prospects that they'll have to wait for the cloth seats. Whatever.
  • wiwangwiwang Member Posts: 17
    I guess 18,600 is a good deal for the GSR. I will be picking up thursday and hopefully be able to drive home safely (I've driven a manual only once for 15minutes...but I understand the basics). However, the dealer said that there is 300 some miles on the car because it was a dealer trade...is this something I should worry about? he says that it is brand new and everything...the miles are just from the trade. It was driven from VA or something to PA.

As for the RSX...I dont really like the styling and prefer the Integra's looks.
    Check out www.vtec.net and go to the "rumours & news" section. There are 3 Canadian media previews of the RSX. They liked the car, hated the exterior styling. Big surprise!
    But, with styling that bland, it might be difficult to notice them pulling out of the dealer's lot.
    You think the styling will be bland enough that
    it'll be invisible to State Troopers? :)
  • flybertflybert Member Posts: 6
    With the intro of the RSX with i-VTEC and 200hp (the same as the Prelude, minus the i), does anybody know where the fate of the Prelude lies. Seems to me that it could be a better deal, even though you can't get leather.
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    Anyone knows when the rs-x is coming out? I am interested in buying one. How much are they going to charge imo? 24k?

From what I heard, prelude is going to be part of the accord line after this year. Which makes sense because they share the same platform, not to mention accord is lacking an manual counterpart in the v6 department.
  • mb710327mb710327 Member Posts: 9
    There are rumors that a new prelude will come out based on the S2000 platform. Regarding low sales on the prelude, this is due to not having a cheap version of the car like that of the Mitsubishi Eclipse RS and Toyota Celica GT. In my opinion, if it wasn't for gas milage, I feel that the prelude is a better performance car than the RSX and I also think that the prelude looks better. I wouldn't be surprised if the track numbers on the Prelude is better than that of the RSX due to available horsepower and more torque at less RPMs to go along with a double wishbone suspension as compared to the RSX's h.p at higher RPMs, lower torque, and mcpherson strut setup.
    First of all, I think it was the VW GTI that started the pocket rocket game.

Secondly, Acura won't discontinue the NSX because it is their "halo" car.

Thirdly, I find it interesting that the Prelude would somehow have better track performance than an RSX-S, when the current GS-R will turn nearly identical track times to the Prelude's. The Prelude is heavy (3,000lbs) and has only a 5spd.
    The i-VTEC will give the RSX substantial torque from 4000RPM on up, same as the 'Lude, and the 6spd lets you spend more time in the powerband.

If all you need for better track times is more low-end torque and weight, why aren't F1 cars more like NASCAR stockers?

The Prelude is dead becuse it's too much $$ for what you get, and not many people wanted a car like that. Honda dealers hated it.
    Preludes are $22-25K. Most people feel it's too much $$ for a Honda. The Prelude of the mid-late 80s were abundant and you could see them everywhere. I think I still see more of those older models than the new ones. They sold well and were priced at $13-16K depending whether you got a base model or Si. At the time, the Prelude was one of the fastest and best handling FWD 4cyl. cars around. Then in '90 the Prelude faced competition from the Eclipse & Talons. The Eclipse/Talon Turbo or AWD turbo with 190-205hp (depending on the model year) were cheaper and faster than the higher end or VTEC Preludes. I remember shopping for an Eclipse Turbo GS-T (FWD) with my brother in '95. The sticker was exactly $20K and the salesman made us an offer of $18.3K. It was a nice burgendy Eclipse with all the options except for CD-changer. My brother was drewling over it but I convinced him to look at Prelude & Integra due to the reliability factor. The Prelude VTEC was about $23K (185-190hp I believe at the time) and we only managed to get the dealer down to $22K even! Too much $$ for my brother. Lastly we looked at the GSR but there were no great bargains there either as teh GSR was very popular and dealers stood their ground at around $21K! He ended up getting an Integra LS w/spoiler 5-sp. for $18K. So I believe it was the popular Eclipse that started the Prelude's demise as it directly competed with the Prelude.
    The 2nd biggest factor the Prelude didn't sell too well was the GSR. If you talk to many GSR owners they 'll tell you that like the Prelude or would rather own a Prelude, or admire the Prelude, etc. If you ask them (or me) why then didn't you get a Prelude instead of a GSR, the answer you 'll get will be "it was too much money". Most people are looking for inexpensive fast cars. The GSR for $20K (realistic prices paid) was that car for the mid-late '90s. The Prelude for ~$22K+ was not. Also the Mustang GTs back then were also under $20K! The Prelude was often compared to the Mustang GT even by car magazines! Stupid if you ask me, but the 0-60 times were similar or very close (6.9 for the Prelude) and in refinement and handling & braking, the Prelude always beat the Mustang. The Mustang also got faster over the years (duh, it's got a V8 with infinite power to explore) but still managed to remain lower in price than the Prelude. You still see posts here "GT vs Prelude". Then the styling became questionable and "hate it or love it" so all these factors together just doomed the Prelude and reduced its sales to just 4-5,000 units a year or so. The Integra enjoyed decent sales of 40,000 units/yr but they too started declining in '97-98 when people expected a new model to come out. Don't believe they ever fell below 30,000 though.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    The problem with the Prelude wasn't that it was too much $$ for a Honda, it was too much $$ for that CAR. I'm not aware of any enthusiast who would consider the S2000 @ $32,500 to be "too much $$ for a Honda". But for what the Prelude brought to the party, $23,000+ really was too much. It's the old "bang-fer-yer-buck" equation.
  • jinnai23jinnai23 Member Posts: 1
    I know the RSX has the new i-vtec system, but does anyone know the performance numbers? Can somebody find me a 0-60 and quarter mile for either versions? Thank you.
  • airpenny1airpenny1 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone see it yet? The one with the TVs at the front window of a store which says RSX and 7-2-01. I guess that's when it's coming out.
    7.2 seconds... for the Type S

That is from Motortrend. Don't know about the plain RSX.

Seems a bit slow to me!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Here's a direct link to First Drive: 2002 Acura RSX, by Brent Romans. Let us know what you think. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• sloankrsloankr Member Posts: 8
    Pocahontas - First Drive is OK, but this is the Hatchback area. How about some pictures/dimensions on the luggage area (both seats up and seats down)?

The RSX is now firmly on my short list - but cargo space is critical to me. On the RSX, the rear seats would spend 99% of their life folded away. This may be highly unusual for someone in the market for an RSX, but my two main competitors are the VW GTI and the Mazda P5. Both of these would probably see the rear seats up 75% of the time (but, on the other hand, those seats would probably be empty 99% of the time).

So, consider this a general gripe - almost NONE of the Edmunds Photo Gallery images show the hatch open and matched views with seats up and down. For those of us here in "Hatchbacks", that's a very important part of the package!
  • lakers_shaqlakers_shaq Member Posts: 11
    I owned a '95 Integra, and I gotta say, the RSX rocks! The interior/exterior are superior to its competitors and even to the Integra. To the person who said it looks like the Cavalier.... are u nuts? I owned a Cavalier, and not only does it not look it, it probably doesn't rattle, squeak, roll, and break-down either.

I would definately choose it over the Celica and Eclipse. The only downside is that the dealers will gouge consumers, as they did with the TL, CL and MDX. I shopped for a CL when it first debuted and couldn't get a penny discount off MSRP, now they are going for $3-4K off MSRP. I just gotta snicker at them.
    I have to agree, it does look a shade like a cavalier, IMO.

Oh, and chill out about pictures with the seats down. How much can you tell about cargo space from a mere picture anyway? Check out the dimensions, and then (even better) go check out the car in person if you are serious!
This discussion has been closed.