Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX5

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To silverzx5 - Congrats on your new ZX5, and thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to your future reports.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Posted this on the ZX3 board a few days ago:

Just found out that states with CA emissions get the 2.3L from Mazda in the Focus. 148HP and 152 lb-ft of torque, a big jump from the 130/135 stock in other states. Anybody have any performance stats to go with this motor? How's mileage?

-B
  • lcowherdlcowherd Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering either the Vibe/Matrix or the ZX5. EPA rates the V/M twins higher in MPG than the Focus. What has been your experience with mileage in real world conditions?

Thanx!!
  • focus090focus090 Member Posts: 85
    21mpg on the crappy end, that would me mainly highway....and 29mpg with about 80% highway...i was thrilled to see 29mpg, the best i have ever gotten was in my '00 focus se sedan - 31mpg once.
    the 21mpg was mainly city, and yes, the highway as 29mpg
    check out all reviews for each car before you decide, and of course, test drive em all....thats the true way of deciding which to get. i heard the only good models in the m/v are the gt ones, with the all wheel drive. but do you really need that in a 5 door hatchback? the focus is world renowned for its superb driving dynamics, styling and handling...explore all your options
    You may also want to post (copy/paste) your question in this discussion: Vibe/ Matrix v. PT Cruiser v. ZX5 v. Protege5 v. Elantra GT v. Aerio SX. Good luck with your decision.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    just took my zx5 into service, they are gonna replace the center chrome ford cap from my rear passenger wheel that popped off, they have parts on order to replace my center console lid that doesnt latch correctly anymore...the button you pull up on is all loose, so they are replacing that, and i'm gettin an oil change.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    How many miles do you have on your ZX5? Mine just turned over 10,000 miles and I have only needed routine maintenance...no other problems...it's a great little car!
  • jpsullivanjpsullivan Member Posts: 11
    Purchased a twilight blue PZEV ZX5 in Syracuse, NY last Friday and have since been looking for the least excuse to go for a drive. Got the comfort level trim, with ABS and the 16" alloys as options. Found ABS very hard to find on any Foci on lots around here and side airbags (which i would have sprung for) impossible to find. In my opinion, both should be standard equipment, at least in all trim levels above the base one. MSRP was $17110. Paid $13,200. I have since seen an ad from another dealer who is offering all in-stock Foci for $4000 off MSRP, so perhaps I could have saved another $90, but probably not much more than that. What I paid represents a 6% profit for the dealer over wholesale for this car. On NY lots you will find both the 2.0L Zetec and the 2.3L PZEV engines in Foci. PZEVs have been going into Foci delivered to NY, MA and CA since January. (Mine was manufactured only about 4 weeks ago.) I test drove both and found the PZEV to be both more powerful and more refined. It matches up nicely with the 5-speed gearbox. Can't understand why anyone would want an automatic in a car this fun to drive. I'm intentionally not pushing it during its "break-in" period, but this car wants to go, go, go, and the greater low-end torque of the PZEV is particularly noticeable in 2nd gear which seemed a bit anemic in the Zetec I drove. Fit and finish seem impeccable (after a cracked visor mirror was replaced at the dealer) and I'm impressed with the comfort of the seats and the quietness of the interior for a car of this size and price class. My only gripe about interior ergonomics is that I don't like the center console which interferes with my right (shifting) arm in both the up or down position. I think this will be less of an issue for shorter drivers who have the seat moved farther forward, but with it moved all the way back (as I have mine), one's elbow hits the column on which the console is mounted when in the up position, and when down, one is forced to angle your right arm downward in an awkward fashion. This won't be an issue in the automatics. This is the only complaint I have with the otherwise very ergonomically designed interior. I agree with others that the sound of the turn signal is a bit jarring, although this is a very minor thing. I love the telescoping steering column and the feel of the small diameter, beefy, leather-wrapped steering wheel. Interior plastics and controls seem well-made (I like the rubberized knobs on the climate and headlight controls). However, the door latches seem a bit lightweight and cheap. The seat fits me like a glove. My right toe seems to catch on something now and then as I lift it off the accelerator and move it to the brake, but I think this will pass as I become used to the car. The single-disc Blaupunkt CD/MP3 and four speakers produces exceptional sound for a base stereo and the FM sensitivity is good. On the exterior, my only gripe are the cheap plastic side mirror cowlings with no neck joint to absorb collisions with car doors/tree branches, etc. On my way back from the dealer I noticed a Focus driving by with a side mirror hanging. These seem out of place on a car that otherwise projects quality. One possible issue I've noticed is that I get some vibration/noise from the left front when accelerating while making a relatively hard right turn ( not sure if I get this on the other side from a hard left turn acceleration or not yet). Do other Focus drivers experience this, or is this an indication of a problem? I have limited experience up till now with FWD cars. I'd appreciate comments on this. I will report mileage soon, although the manual cautions against calculating mileage within the first 1000 miles (I suppose it gets a bit better after rings are totally sealed?) One more question for the Focus cognoscenti: Should a first oil change take place before the normal interval of 3000 miles?
    and congrats on your new ZX5! Thanks for your detailed notes. You may also want to post any concerns you have regarding vibration/noise in our Ford Focus ZX3/ZX5 Problems & Solutions discussion. Someone there may be able to offer some feedback. For future reference, look for a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful links (left side).

Btw, one small suggestion for the next time you post a long message: break your message up into shorter paragraphs. This will make it easier for others to read. People are more likely to your entire post, if it's easy on the eyes. Okay? ;-)

We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    I have an '02 ZX5 with the 2.0L Zetec and automatic transmission. I spend 2 hours a day commuting to work, so the auto makes it much more enjoyable. Way too much shifting would be involved if I had a manual. Have found power with the auto 2.0L to be more than adequate and it matches the car perfectly. I am not an overly aggressive driver, so I do not find it lacking power.

I am currently averaging 27mpg after 10,000 miles. It has increased slightly as the miles pile up.

No issues with the console/armrest. I am 6'5" tall and find the interior very comfortable. I have the seat all the way back, cushion at its lowest, and wheel telescoped all the way out. Right arm falls right into place on the armrest. Rarely have the armrest in the up position unless I am trying to reach for something on the floor of the passenger side from the driver's seat.

No unusual noises when turning. If you are entering the turn too hot, it may be the sidewall scrubbing. Make sure your tires are at 34psi cold (factory recommended pressure). My experience is that the ride and handling of this car is very sensitive to tire pressure.

My right foot also caught on the right side of brake pedal initially when transferring my foot from the gas pedal to the brake. You get used to it after a month or so.

I bought mine from dealer stock last July and it has ABS, side airbags, moonroof, 6-disc CD, etc. The dealer had a couple of others on the lot with ABS and side airbags as well. Could be the region or just current availability with all of the great incentives.

Enjoy your car, they are a blast to drive and a pleasure to own.
    I got 28.3 mpg on my first tank of gas in 2/3 hwy, 1/3 city driving. Taking a long interstate trip this weekend and will report mileage afterwards.

I understand your point, ryster, about the convenience of an automatic for city driving.

Day 5 now with my new ZX5 and I'm only liking it more as I get used to it. Waiting for the first 1000 miles of easy driving to pass before I take it out on a country road and push it a bit.

The center console that I reported earlier was annoying is less so now. I am used to letting my arm rest on it during shifting.

Added a little air to the tires to bring them up to 35 psi or so, but haven't tried to replicate the vibration while turning again.

john
    my zx5 has only 10,400 miles, and i have only had it in for regular maintenance also ryster. this thing with the messed up console button and the chrome wheel cap is just a fluke. the service manager said that they have been having some problems with the caps on the focus wheels like mine. so you guys make sure yours are nice an tight, how do you tighten them? i have no clue, but just make sure they arent loose is my advice. i did my first oil change when i got my car brand new at 3000miles. it really isnt that necessary to get it before then. nowadays the pre-run the engines, so there wont be any metal bits that will harm your engine if you wait till 3k for an oil change. and you guys with new foci, take my word for it, this car can handle quite a bit of punishment...i had a 2000 se sedan, and now a 2002 zx5, and they ran and run like champs. this one has been up to about 97mph, 45mph 'powerslide' through a near red left turn light, and many many jaunts in open frozen-snow covered areas (bottoming out about 5 times was interesting). since its a lease, i am not too concerned with the long term effects. hehheh. you guys will enjoy this car.
    I'm curious to know how well the Focus handles in the snow. I probably won't get a chance to find out until next winter.

john
    Driving the Focus in the snow can be a handful with the OEM Firehawk GTA tires. Traction is good in up to 2" of snow, but once there is more than that it gets dicey. Also traveling over 25mph in the snow is touchy as well. The tires never really bite all that well in the snow and you are left with that feeling of "controlled slipping".

The car will get you home at the initial onset of a storm, but once the snow has started and piled up it turns into a white-knuckled drive. The best option would be to get a set of winter tires and run them during your area's normal snowy period. I don't have a set of winter tires; I just watch the weather and head home from work as soon as the snow starts accumulating. If the snow is bad when I wake up, I either stay home or go in late.

If your area has excellent snow removal crews, you will probably be okay. Interestingly enough, my '99 rear-wheel drive Camaro with Goodyear Eagle GA tires handled snow much better than my ZX5. Most of the problem is the tires. I will not put another set of these Firehawks on the car when the time comes (although based on current wear, these things may go at least 40K miles).
    i would say, that if you are worried about blowing money on extra tires, then dont. i live in michigan, and have had no problem with my tires in the snow. i love these firehawks, they were on my 2000, and these ones now one my new one...my car handled great this winter in the snow. and we do get a lot of it. we had one storm in particualr where 4" had dropped in less than 2 hours..., and by the time i had to get home, there was about 5", and while doing blazingly fast speeds in the snow is a death wish, i had to keep it at about 20-25 mph on a normal 45 mph street. then again so was everyone else. the tires are in no way unable to take on winter weather, you just need to keep your mind on whats goin on as well. i have found that although i dont have abs brakes, the car can do a pretty quick stop in snow, i have always been impressed with this. it just comes to this dead stop, with all brakes giving a nice tight gripping sound. snow realy isnt that much of a problem though, so i wouldnt be too worried about it, jpsullivan.
    just took my zx5 in to get a nail taken out of the front right tire, thats the first one in a year with my new focus. the last one i took it in like 3 times for nails i had picked up. psssst....Sam's Club should be able to take care of it for free....just a tip. thats where i took it.
    It's interesting how people can have totally different impressions of a tire's performance.

At one point this past winter, I was attempting to traverse a slight incline and my Focus struggled to make it. I was in first gear and the tires spun the whole way up the incline. People were passing me and I was barely able to move 5mph up the incline. Very embarrassing.

The Firehawks perform great in dry and rainy conditions but in the winter I find them to be horrendous. Very little snow traction. I wouldn't even attempt to drive my car in 5" of snow...
    it is funny about different experiences. but i havent had any problem, incline's in crappy weather i would avoid - in almost any car.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    next time, put it in 2nd gear and feather the throttle
    I've had my 2003 Focus PZEV ZX5 5-speed for a little over a week now, and bonded with the beauty on a long road trip this weekend. I agree with all of micweb's observations posted above. Lots of quiet, refined power at low revs. This car is a born cruiser and "wants" to go 85 on the highway. It's so quiet that I have to be vigilant to prevent this.

Nevertheless, I drove close to 80 for much of 300 miles on Intersates 83 and 81 from Baltimore, MD to Ithaca, NY yesterday, I got 32.5 mpg out the PZEV. AC was on for about half the time on this drive which includes many ups and downs. On a flatter highway with no AC at 65 mph it would no doubt do better yet.

3000 rpm in 5th puts keeps you at 80 mph in my car.
  • kbseattle9kbseattle9 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    thanks for all the great hints about the ZX5. now i wanted to know if anyone would be willing to share what they think is a good price for the standard ZX5? I feel like i have been getting the run around from the dealers. I read one person got one for 13200?? how about others. Thanks so much! kb
    The best way to determine a fair price for a ZX5 or any car is to do some research. I think I am the one you mentioned who purchased a ZX5 for $13,200 about 3 weeks ago. When I went to the dealership I knew the exact wholesale value of the car with the options included. This is not equivalent to the "dealer invoice" of the car: dealers get additional "holdbacks" and other incentives from the manufacturer. I used Consumer Reports' price report on the Focus to get this info. I knew when I bought the car that the dealer was making a 6% profit over the wholesale value, which is fair (a fair deal will be 4-8% profit for the dealer). The CR price reports cost $12.00 on their web site, a worthwhile investment IMHO. They continuously update these reports with the latest rebates and dealer holdbacks.

Foci may be even cheaper now than they were 3 weeks ago. I guess Ford has extended the rebates and may have increased dealer holdbacks. I noted that advertised prices at a local dealer have gone down since I bought mine. Looks like I could now get a ZX5 comfort 5-speed PZEV with ABS and sunroof for only $12,600 (Simmons-Rockwell, Hornell, NY). That is a great deal and make me wish I had waited. But that's the way things go...
  • kbseattle9kbseattle9 Member Posts: 2
    jpsullivan, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I took your advice and purchased the CR price report. Now, one more silly question for you. It gives me the wholesale value of the car ( something like $14,600 for standard and 15,000 for comfort) I am assuming that includes no tax/tags correct? I am thinking maybe prices in Seattle are higher then Hornell,NY

when reading the CR report on Focus ZX5, it did not get the best satisfaction survey. How are you liking the new car.Thanks again.. i know lots of questions but trying to do this right! thanks again!
    Those wholesale values sound high. Is this before the $3000 rebate? The wholesale value of a ZX5 comfort plus ABS and 16" alloys three weeks ago was something like $12,600 (including rebate). Perhaps you are taking the financing in lieu of the rebate (?) CR gives good guidelines on how to negotiate the price of the car UP from the wholesale value (never down from MSRP!) You should calculate the wholesale price of the exact car on the lot (with whatever options it has including the destination charge), then add 4% and 8% for dealer profit. If you can get the car between the 4 and 6% range, you've done well. This price will not include tax, title and tag charges. Tax is the big one and varies from state to state. On my $13,200 car, I paid an additional $1600 for these combined. Don't include the the tax & tags in your negotiation, but keep in mind that you do have to pay them.

Check out some current prices on ZX5s that I posted in the ZX3 forum. Those prices reflect the $3000 rebate that I assume is also available in WA.

I am loving my Focus and have had no problems in the first 1700 miles (as I shouldn't). However look the car over well on the lot and during your test drive. Mine had a faulty radio and a cracked visor mirror that were replaced before I purchased.

Good luck!
    just lease....save a headache
  • silverzx5silverzx5 Member Posts: 2
    Whats the deal with that?

Anyway, My ZX5 (Zetec and 5-speed) and I have been accumulating miles since purchase in April. It's been flawless so far. Getting about 32 MPG (70% city/30% highway)so no complaints there. Not a big fan of the stock Goodyear tires though. Has anybody out there replaced the Goodyear's with anything else they would care to recommend?
    and thanks for your update! Glad to hear your ZX5 has been serving you well. Hopefully someone will be along soon to address your question on tires. You may also want to check out some of the Tire discussions on our Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    i had my zx5 a year this past may, and its still going strong. no major problems, just had to get the radio replaced after about 3 months, had the center console lid replaced after the button would no longer catch, and replaced a lost chrome center wheel cap. all covered under warranty!!!gotta love it. but its a great little car, which i had known with the focus se i previously had.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    I have a 2000 LX with the SE wheels, and Firehawks. While I've had no trouble with these (even in about 6" of snow), at 40K+ miles they are out of tread and starting to squeal on take-offs and turns. I'm looking at Yokohama Avid Touring tires (about $90 each from DTW, complete) or maybe Aquatred 3's (about $12 more each from a local shop - my wife just got these on the front of her Mystique and likes them). Both are highly recommended by the Tirerack survey respondants.
    yea, i love my firehawks, had em on my se sedan and now on my zx5, theyre good tires, i like em a lot. i have also had to use them in 6"+ snow, and they did the job, and braking was good as well in the snow, good traction. yea, those tires sound good, wont hurt to try something new. side note, i took my focus in today cuz my radio isnt workin again, it wont play cds or eject em at all. this is the second time, it happened to me last summer as well....looks like i'll be gettin me a brand new radio again. i'm still pissed about it. the service tech said he didnt want to say its a common problem, but he said he sees it often. oh well
  • jb18tjb18t Member Posts: 25
    We have a 1998 CRV that re-treaded with Yokohama Avid Touring. We have been very happy with traction(wet&Snow) and reduced road noise. We have noticed they are wearing quickly though!
  • jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    Two days ago, when I test drove the 2003 ZX5 hatchback, the sound from the turn signal caught me off guard. It was way toooo loud. So much so, that I dreaded having to use it. In comparison, my 2000 Ford Focus ZTS sedan turn signal had a nice sound and perfect volume.

Nevertheless, I bought the ZX5. The mechanic at my BC ford dealership told my sales agent that he's never tried modifying the turn signal to decrease the volume, and wouldn't really know how.

I intend to investigate further. I've sent an e-mail to Ford and will post their reply here when it comes in about 3 days from now.

Does anyone know how the turn signal can be modified?

I can't stand this loud turn signal and refuse to live with it. I find myself avoiding using the turn signal whenever possible. Not even the radio drowns out the sound.

I wish FORD would offer its customers the choice of taking their vehicle in to have this loud and irritating tick-tock turn signal modified AT NO CHARGE. IT'S WAY TOOOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    I test drove a 2003 Focus last December, it too had a turn signal that was unbelievably loud, one of the reasons I terminated the test. A second test drive a month later had a quieter one. I bought a ZTW in May, it's turn signal is not too intrusive. I don't know how involved it would be to "simply" try several modules.
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Try out the turn signals in other cars on the dealer's lot, if you find a quiet one, ask if the dealer will swap it out..
    I called the 1-800 number for the Ford Customer Relationship Centre to ask about modifying the turn signal in the 2003 ZX5 to make it more quiet. The 1-800 # doesn't deal with technical questions, so I was referred to my dealership where a mechanic could call the Ford Engineer Hotline.

The Service Dept. at my dealership explained that the loudness is caused by the RELAY. They had tried changing the relay in a Ford truck of a customer who had also complained about the loud turn signal, but it met with no improvement.

The dealership offered to try changing my relay at no cost to me...'cause they'll do it under warranty. But they're pretty sure it won't make a difference.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    it's loud by design.
    the 2000 models have a silent one.
    Customers complained that they can't hear it.
    Ford responded by installing a "speaker" - there are no mechanical relays in the unit.
    There is a good how-to somewhere on the net (might be focaljet.com) on how to silence that speaker.
    Or just find the 2000 model unit.
    If it interests you, I can lead you to the following message #'s to read of others who don't care for the loud turn signal:

had to terminate the test drive because of a loud turn signal eh? hmm, did it have dirt on the tires too? if you're that fired up over a little noise youve got issues. but yea, it is indeed loud,i also had a 2000 focus and it was so soft and quiet it was nice, but when i got my zx5 in 02 i was like, what the?!?!? after over a year now, you're used to it, except when someone new is riding with you and goes, "whats THAT noise?"
    you guys watch those 6 disc changers, i've just had my second one replaced. both times it jammed up, wouldnt change or eject cds. dealer took it out and put new one in the same day, so no big deal. so, heads up. its not from anything i did, just mechanical, so theres no sure fire signs of iminent doom.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Yep, I had a hard time getting use to the turn signals in mine when I first got it...even asked about it in this forum...I guess I have grown accustomed to the noise as its not a problem anymore....guess I am just use to it. I will say I do get a comment from a passenger now and then about how "annoying" the tone is.

I simply LOVE my ZX5. No problems, no complaints, except for the cheesy cup holders or should I say "can holders" and the lack of bright interior and cargo lighting. Its a blast to drive...wouldn't think twice about buying another one..cept I want the SVT next time. :-)
  • finestackfinestack Member Posts: 26
    We've had two Foci in the past 3 years, the newer is a manual Zetec ZX5 with GR8 sounding turn signals. On our old ZX3 we were saddened when the "amplifier" slowly deadened on the clickers - but when the ZX5 came off the lot, lo and behold the click was back. We couldn't be more happy with our distinctive sounding signals. My wife calls the car "Kermit" because of them (coupled with its no-longer-available bright green paint). Call us crazy but why settle for any old, weak signal sounds? The ZX Foci are unique and so should their signals sound it!
    i dont mind the signal now, at least u know its on, or you can hear it over music, so thats a good thing. i'm sure that was their intent.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Better than driving down the street behind the guy who is constantly signaling for a right turn!
    lol, no doubt.
  • onlygotboysonlygotboys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ZX5 with 19000 miles. the front rotors are worn and have a lip all the way around each. I drive it gently. Can anyone suggest after market pads and rotors that have worked for them?. And is this covered under warranty ? thanx
    thats your wear and tear, meaning they dont cover brakes and whatnot under warranty. you can swear up and down that you are the most cautious and best driver on the road, but it still wont be covered.
    so, made a quick left turn today, lost control and my front right wheel came face to face with the concrete curb. i hit it flush wheel to flush curb, so the force of my car bent the wheel assembly under, to where the wheeld and tire were now a part of the inside fender wall, completely tore up and literally tor the wheel, shredded the hell out of the tire, and bent the lower control arm, and basically messed up the entire right suspension. i havt to get upper and lower tie rods, wheel hub assembly, wheel, tire, probably new shock/strut, new right front fender, they are fixing the right door cuz some of the fender got pushed into the door, front end alignment, new wheel well shield, the front lower part of the bumper also got scraped and they are fixin that as well. basically the whole area is busted up. he estimated it around $1500 worth of damage, so thank god for insurance. i'm fine, no injuries or anything. they'll have it possibly for a week at the dealer
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I read that the 05 seats are not changed. This was an internet post supposedly from an insider who thought that the seats would be a better place to make a change then the "Chevy Cavalier" styling revision. I believe the ZX3 and ZX5 seats do have a bit more side bolster then the seats in the sedan and wagon. There is a guy at Focusfanatics who put ZX3 seats in his Focus wagon.