Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• Options
    sks109sks109 Member Posts: 8
    So I've had the FX 35 2005 model for less than a month and on first "real" trip, a pebble from a truck hit the windshield. Currently, we have a mark about half inch in diameter. From my eyes, the mark hasnt grown in the past 3 days since the incident. The car is leased so do I call the insurance company or Infiniti?

Will they need to replace the entire windshield? How do I find out what I need to cover on this?

And by the day, this car is freaking awesome!!! Your help is appreciated.
  • Options
    bisontebisonte Member Posts: 15
    Not to be a trouble maker but if you could prove they were on notice that a problem in their parking lot existed, i bet you could get them to fork over some dough. Any way you could find out from the local police if other incidents have been reported to them? If so, a lawyer friend of yours could write them a real NICE letter...
  • Options
    snipe1snipe1 Member Posts: 14
    Finally got some snow here on LI, although it was rather minimal. Still, I did encounter some sloppy roads on the way to work and took the FX with the new Falken Ziex ST/Z 04's to an unplowed parking field which had perhaps an inch of crusty snow.

The Falkens certainly seemed adequate and definitely superior to the OEM Goodyears. Unfortunately the crusty snow doesn't compare well with the wet snow I encountered when the RS-A's were still on. They did well in some slushy snow on parts of poorly plowed but heavily trafficked roads and I felt more confident driving with them.

Still, not a good test. Rain and higher Temps are expected for this week.

I do suggest that anyone considering tires take a look at the Falkens. Compare their tread to any other non-dedicated winter tire in this size. IMO the others look like summer tires up against the Ziex.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_stz04.htm
  • Options
    how's the ride, e.g., softer than the OEMs? Thanks, Jon.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Your insurance company should pay, assuming you have comprehensive coverage. Most policies are zero deductible on glass replacement. Check with the auto glass company to see if the damage is repairable, especially if it's not directly in your line of sight. They can make most small fractures almost invisable, and the claim under your insurance policy will be a lot less.
  • Options
    sptrr2sptrr2 Member Posts: 12
    The dealer tried that one on me too, however I noticed the smell worse after being on the road for periods >20mins. I only used the AWD when the roads were not clear, if you've ever been to Vermont that happens all the time !!! Living in CT we hardly used the AWD except if I was caught driving home in a storm, they clear the roads pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Jon,

I'd say the ride is softer and more comfortable than the OEM's. Perhaps due to the higher tread blocks providing more cushioning. Maybe the side wall is less rigid too.
    If I had to drive at the limit on dry pavement the Goodyears would be my choice but, for real world I'll take the Falkens.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    See 2006 Infiniti FX Crossovers Get Big Price Hike.

Nissan North America has increased prices on its Infiniti FX35 by about $2,700 over 2005 prices, while raising the sticker price on the FX45 by $4,150 over the 2005 price.
  • Options
    geobendorgeobendor Member Posts: 9
    I'm pretty sure that it is not the brakes, although I do get a nice squeek from them when backing in cold weather. We have been having a lot of wet snow over here plus rain on occasion so the roads are very slick and the awd has been kicked in often. I'm pretty sure it's the AWD system.
  • Options
    cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    I can't speak for the dealer, but I wasn't "trying one on" you, I was suggesting a possible cause for your symptoms. I am curious how you selectively use the AWD - the system in mine (and every other FX I'm aware of other than yours) is automatic. Also, not to beat a dead horse, but you do realize that the DSC uses the brakes - yes, the same brakes that you use to stop the car - to maintain stability, with no input from the driver? Unless you count the control inputs that necessitated DSC intervention, but that's a whole different discussion...
  • Options
    mburmbur Member Posts: 1
    I also leased my wife an 05 FX35. Today at 4k miles I took it in for service. I mentioned the squealing breaks. Dealer said it was a common problem and they replaced the front brake pads free with an upgraded pad. You should call dealer for the upgrade.
  • Options
    stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    The Toyos ride about the same as the OEM's
  • Options
    exmexm Member Posts: 52
  • Options
    nak026nak026 Member Posts: 3
    I dont think it is so much that the FX is getting a price hike, but the base model is coming with more standard features that were previously in the touring package. This is making the base model more expensive but if you add the touring package to the car, you will be paying the same ($40,600) in 2006 as in 2005.
  • Options
    My initial reaction is that Infiniti is being too aggressive in raising its price so much, and will lose some potential customers who otherwise would have been attracted to a more competitive entry price. On the other hand, I would think the price hike will be good for current owners, in terms of resale, as the higher price should result in fewer new ones being produced (especially the FX45 version).
  • Options
    fxdriverfxdriver Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the link to Fresh Alloy. I'm sorry to read similiar stories, all of which happened in NJ ( mine in Whippany NJ ). I don't think we can do anything in the future to prevent this. If we disable the windows down feature...how will the Bad guys know not to try, they will still damage the door and lock. I'm having my Nissan dealer fix my car, he has not received the parts yet. This seems similiar to the good old 1980's when car radios were getting stolen...People would put up a sign that said "No radio in car". Maybe I will put a sign that says "Windows will not go down???"
  • Options
    Why is it that nearly all of the break-ins and car thefts that I read about in these forums seem to happen in New Jersey and New York? What is it with people out there?

If it were me I would have an old junker to use whenever I knew my vehicle could not be parked safely inside a locked garage. My "good car" would be reserved for special occasions like going over to a friend's house or drives out into the country.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Why is it that nearly all of the break-ins and car thefts that I read about in these forums seem to happen in New Jersey and New York?

That reminds me of the question asked of Willie Sutton (famed 30's bank robber): "Why do you rob banks?" to which he replied "Because that's where the money is."

Break-ins and car thefts happen where the cars are and most of them are in California, Texas, Florida, Illinois and NY/NJ. :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Yes but that doesn't explain the RATE at which cars are broken into...sorry, back to FX discussion!
  • Options
    audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Why-oh-why is the run-flat package only available if you have the Sport Package on the '06s???? Probably the *only* thing I am not happy about with for the new model year.

Do you think they can be retro-fitted with run-flats after I wear out the OEMs? Because in all reality, I would probably call road-side before I would change a tire myself. I know I am feeding into the chauvinistic persona, but I am just being honest.
  • Options
    fxdudefxdude Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2006 FX-35. I pick it up on Tuesday. The dealer just received 4 in on Thursday last week. I have been waiting for the 2006 for 6 months now. I could not deal with the seat adustment location on the 2005. The back of the 2006 FX35 is more different than the 2005 than I first thought. :)
  • Options
    To order the run-flats you also need to order the technology package and the sport package.
  • Options
    merlinmerlin Member Posts: 10
    fxdude, I've got an '03 FX 35. Like everything about it except the location of the driver's seat adjustment controls, a design gaffe. Where are they located on your '06? Thanks.
  • Options
    Congrads fxdude! If you don't mind my asking, could you post here or in the "Prices Paid" forum how close/far from MSRP you ended up. I am looking to purchase in the next 6 weeks or so..

I also couldn't deal with the seat adjustments, and I am glad I waited. I like the nav system UI much better on the '06 too!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • Options
    I have had the vehicle for about two weeks. Here are some thoughts:

1. Much nicer that the 2005 - Rear view camera, color screen, seat adjustments on the door, are all worth it.
    2. The color I chose (Serengetti Sand) is awesome- it is a new color for 2006 and it is a light gold with a silver undertone. The best color in my opinion. I also have the new "wheat" interior which is great. The leather details,Infiniti Logo, aluminum accents, are all great in the 2006.
    3. The Bluetooth works flawlessly. Great feature.
    4. The color screen and all the electronics are great.
    5. The 18" rims are redesigned for 2006. They look cooler than the 2005 design. I think they look even better than the 20".
    6. There is a built-in pressure monitor display of all tires that is great. This has nothing to do with the run flat package. Was this available in the 2005 model year? A great feature that surprised me when I stumbled on it on the display.
    7. Negative: I am a little disappointed in the Bose stereo. I am an audio buff and the stereo in my Chrysler Town and Country sounds better than this stereo. Also, no MP3 connection. The 6 disk changer and MP3 off of CD worked fine. However, they should have built in MP3 off of DVD capability too. Oh well...

All in all, I am so glad I waited for the 2006 model before I bought. The differences are not minor in my opinion from the 2005 model year. Infiniti made the electronics top notch, and improved on all the minor "misses" in the previous design.
  • Options
    nickb81nickb81 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone here know if the bluetooth module in the FX35/45 is made by Xanavi (like the one in the less then wonderful M35/45)?
  • Options
    duffer7duffer7 Member Posts: 17
    I have a re-occurring problem with my 2003 FX35 which the dealer can't solve:
    3 times now, when I have tried to start the engine the key won't turn in the ignition switch -- nor can I get the key BACK OUT of the ignition switch !
    After several minutes of wobbling the steering wheel and the gear shift, clicking the door lock & unlock , and stepping on the brake pedal --- the key suddenly turns and the engine starts !
    Since I am about to drive across the country, I'm paranoid that this will happen again on a dark & stormy night somewhere in the boondocks.
    Can anybody tell me what to do WHEN this happens again ?
  • Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I have the tech option, so I don't use the key very often. However, when I use it, sometimes it is hard to get the key in the ignition, and when it is in it does not always turn. When the car was about 2 weeks old, it was a Sat. nite. We went to a restaurant with valet parking. When we were done and went out to get the car, my wife said, oh look, your car is right in front. I said, that's probably because it is new! NO-the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. The valet couldn't get it to move and neither could I. I had to call Infiniti to have it towed in. While we were in the cab, the tow truck driver called to say he had taken it to the dealer (which of course on a Sat. nite was closed) and decided to try the sequence his Chevy owner's manual has for this type of problem. It worked. The cab took us to pick up the car. Monday I called the dealer. No one had any idea what I was talking about. Last time it was in, I gave them one of the keys to use. They had problems getting the key in and the ignition to turn. They said that was a common problem. That's as much as I know.
  • Options
    Ditto with me, had forgotten my electronic key fob, car was brand new, had freinds with me, and the key would not turn. At all. Did I mention it was snowing and below 20 degrees? I NEVER drive without the electronic fob, dont trust the keys anymore... Jon.
  • Options
    marvin3marvin3 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed this weekend ( 2 feet of white stuff here) that braking in the snow was quite unusual. At first depressing the brake pedal all was well but as the car slowed I noticed a grinding/crunching noise that I also felt transmitted thru the break pedal. This is the second time I have noticed this. Any Ideas? Have 15 K check up coming I will bring this up with service. Have fx 35 with sports package.
  • Options
    Have you ever had ABS before? It vibrates the pedal very quickly, almost like you are going over rumble strips. I don't have my FX yet, but this is that the ABS feels like in my Subaru. Just a thought..
  • Options
    dantedante Member Posts: 92
    Happened to me too. According to others on this forum it is the ABS breaks that do this when breaking on slippery surfaces like snow or ice (sounded awful, like something was broken).

Nonetheless, have it checked out by the dealer. Jon.
  • Options
    marvin3marvin3 Member Posts: 3
    Yes it does feel like rumble strips. My previous vehicle was an xterra no such problem but I think it had abs on only one set of wheels. Very disconcerting, I will take it in and let the board know what they come up with. Thanks
  • Options
    You've confused me, the AWD switch on the left next to the VDS switch, turns the AWD system on and off. When you turn it on a green AWD light comes up on the dash...when it's off it's off. I guess you're saying, correctly, that when it's on the system is automatic. What I should have said was that the smell only comes in when the AWD switch is in the 'on' position. Moot point now as the smell drove me nuts and I've traded it in !!
  • Options
    Oh and by the way I wasn't suggsting you were trying it on, only the dealer !!! These discussion threads are great for helping share problems and fixes.
  • Options
    Same here. The ABS in the FX seems more sensitive than other vehicles I've owned. Quite noisy with lots of pedal feedback. I'm not concerned.
  • Options
    Falken Ziex ST/Z04's ---- Thumbs-up in Snow.

We got hit with snow pretty hard on Long Island last weekend so, I finally got to give the Falken Ziex ST/Z04's a good workout.
    Drove home from work (30 miles) the night of the storm. All roads had snow on them and were quite slippery. I took it slow and kept the FX in snow mode. The Falkens, with their aggressive tread did nicely and the trip was without incident. I'm glad I made the switch.

Both the Falkens and the OEM Goodyears are considered all-season tires. I do feel the RS-A's offer superior dry performance but, the Falken's superiority in snow, rain and ride comfort, IMO, justify the trade-off.

Still, as many have stated here, cautious driving is the key. Certainly the FX with wide tires, powerful engine, and P/T AWD is not the ideal snow vehicle.
    I see a trend to over-promotion by Mfg's of their AWD vehicles' capabilities. A recent Volvo commercial for the XC-90 and their AWD wagons depicted them as seemingly invincible in the snow. Unfortunately some will take this as fact.
  • Options
    jumpinjumpin Member Posts: 3
    Hi,guys, I have been thinking about FX for awhile, but after all my expenses, I only have $2000 left every month, of course some time is less than that....but payment of a FX will be around $400-500. I just felt it would be too tie if something happened, you know, like no income or something..
    I know it is a stupid question, but I just want to know what do you guys think.
  • Options
    Hi Jumpin, I am certainly no financial advisor but, unless you have about six months worth of living expenses socked away in short term investments just in case something happens, I would not jumpo into a luxury car lease. Bad stuff can happen, when you least expect it. Happened to my family recently, but fortunately I have been working for 17 years so have security socked away (my wife got sick). I am assuming you are young, starting up and eager to jump into an FX. My advice? Build up your nest egg for a year or two and maybe look at a used vehicle or something a bit less costly like the new Toyota RAV4 which has gotten great reviews and can be had around $27K.

Just my humble opinion. Best wishes, Jon.
  • Options
    jumpinjumpin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, that is what I thought,... . I do have some savings with my wife, it is good for one year if I was not working at all, of course, I have some equity like everyone else, but it is borrowed against my house. You are right, I should wait.....FX will be redesigned in 08 anyway.........I will wait until I can cover my [non-permissible content removed] for two years.
  • Options
    cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    "You've confused me, the AWD switch on the left next to the VDS switch, turns the AWD system on and off. When you turn it on a green AWD light comes up on the dash...when it's off it's off. I guess you're saying, correctly, that when it's on the system is automatic. What I should have said was that the smell only comes in when the AWD switch is in the 'on' position. Moot point now as the smell drove me nuts and I've traded it in !!"

Trading in was probably a wise decision for you. In addition to the AWD lock (or snow mode), there are many other handy features on the FX. In order to make the driving experience as rewarding as possible, it's probably worth reading the owner's manual, as well as reviewing the Infinti web site. Then, perhaps, you will at least partially understand what it is that your car is doing.

For any who may be reviewing this forum as a prelude to buying an FX, please note that it does not have a part time AWD system.
  • Options
    Cpp…………I’ve been using the term part time AWD to describe Infiniti’s system (as have others on this forum.) I guess it’s because of the torque split which sends 100% to the rear wheels once the vehicle is underway and no rear tire slippage is present. This, as opposed to AWD systems which maintain a nominal torque split of say 50/50, 40/60, etc.
    Would you describe a part time system as one which requires operator action to enter AWD?
  • Options
    geobendorgeobendor Member Posts: 9
    Incorrect!
    My 2005 FX is part time AWD, meaning that power is not diverted to all wheels 100% of the time. Additionally, "snow mode" does not lock the vehicle into AWD 100% of the time.
    The 2005 manual only has a one sentence about the AWD system. Very lame! Had to dig through their website to find out more about the system.
    The vehicle smells like melting plastic, especially after extended use of the AWD system.
    I expected more from this vehicle. Nice car... but not great.
  • Options
    twarden1twarden1 Member Posts: 6
    I just stumbled across this... I am a woman and I beg to differ. This car (my FX35) was made for me as if they crawled inside my brain and built it using everything I want in a vehicle and more. I love this car and recommend it to either sex... :P
  • Options
    twarden1twarden1 Member Posts: 6
    When I step on the brakes in my 2005 FX35, I have to press them almost to the floor and when they finally catch, it's sort of all or nothing - they're very sensitive. Because of that, it seems my braking is often causing my passengers to lean forward due to over-braking. I took it to the dealer last weekend as well as to a Firestone where both said nothing is wrong with my brakes, and the dealer said no adjustments can be made. He didn't bleed the system to get any air out, and I'm having him do that this weekend. But I'm curious if this is common in the FXs, or what?
  • Options
    ferrari99ferrari99 Member Posts: 15
    Sounds like something is wrong. I have a 2003 FX45 so maybe not directly comparable. I do know the original owner had the rotors turned under warranty and i hear that has been something common with other owners in the past. But i get pretty good progressive pedal feel when braking and only in SNOW or on a WET patch do i get the ABS kicking in. The ABS when it does that is noisy and does sound "clunky" when hard braking in snow. But on dry pavement pedal feedback is excellent and very strong/progressive. Is your leg/foot working ok? :)
  • Options
    ferrari99ferrari99 Member Posts: 15
    Good for you. I think the Lexus is weird looking. The FX much more capable, low and mean...
  • Options
    We have both, and actually enjoy them both for different reasons. The FX (45) is much more fun to drive - with its rear drive bias it handles much better, has better steering feel, and of course is much faster. With its center speaker and more powerful subwoofer, it also has better sound.

But the RX offers a much smoother ride over rough roads, has more room and better back seat ingress/egress, and its interior arguably looks more expensive with better fit and finish.

Both have been extremely reliable.

I personally prefer driving the FX, but the RX does have its strong points too.
  • Options
    ray18ray18 Member Posts: 5
    Didn't mean to rile you, but you can research for yourself who Infiniti targets with the FX. ;)

Who'll buy? Typical: married, male college graduate in his 40s with $120,000 yearly household income.