Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

New Aluminum Jaguars (XKR) - What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I agree. Ian Callum didn't start the new XJ....Geoff Lawson did and he styled the X300 (95-97 XJ), X308 (98-03 XJ), 217 mph XJ220, the XK8, and some other cars including the new XJ. Callum will have a tough time with the next XJ, but he did style the DB7 which was one of the most gorgeous cars of the 1990s.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Then there's hope for the future. As you say, the DB-7 & DB-9 are to die for.....
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,400
    Autoweek, unfortunately I can't get them to come up in the electronic version. :(

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    can we post pictures of the new XK from autoweek in here?
  • Options
    - Pyrotechnic Pedestrian Deployable Bonnet is a world first

- System operates in less time than it takes to blink

- Advanced Sensing system can distinguish between different impacts

- Over 120 man years dedicated to system development

- Bonnet is raised in around 30 milliseconds using forces up to 50 times the force of gravity

Jaguar is one of the first manufacturers to meet Phase One (there is a more strict phase coming in 2010) of new European safety legislation using an active deployable bonnet system. The new standards are designed to help mitigate the severity of injuries to pedestrians in the event of a collision with a car.

The bonnet (hood) weighs 18 kg.

You have to wonder what would happen if drivers and pedestians were just more careful and if legislators encouraged car safety instead of dictating it.

The numbers are seconds.

• Options
    - It weighs 3,759 pounds

The triple-lined, fabric roof - which can be powered up or down in less than 18 seconds - stows fully out of sight beneath an aluminium tonneau cover when retracted. A roll-over protection system comprising two 'hidden' aluminium hoops that deploy in the event of an incident is standard on all XK Convertibles.

It goes on sale in the Spring of 2006.

• Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    What will they think of next. Very impressive, but I think it is somewhat ridiculous to make carmakers design cars for people who can't stay out of the street. I mean why not take the top 20 places in Europe where car + pedestrian accidents are highest and find out why it happens so often. Hell at the right speed all this system is going to do is throw the person in the air if they car doesn't do it at impact, you won't be surving that.

As always the convertible XK is better looker to my eye. Gorgeous in those pics. Now about that grille...... :(

M
  • Options
    The current XKR's grille looks better than the current XK8's grille so I would imagine the same thing with the next XKR.
  • Options
    I would hope so. When you really look at the old and the new its the same grille design, but the placement is different on the new car giving it that Taurus look.

M
  • Options
    I think the complaints about the XK grille are a little backward. It's the Taurus that stole the look from the original E-type, not the XK that got it from the Taurus.

I'll reserve judgement til I've seen the car.

• Options
    I think the complaints about the XK grille are a little backward. It's the Taurus that stole the look from the original E-type, not the XK that got it from the Taurus.

Oh I agree about who did what first, but still. Jaguar should have done something to keep it from looking like the Taurus. The current XK has the same grille but its much lower so no one notices it. I saw the prototype at the Detroit show this year and in person the grille isn't as Taurus like, or at least I didn't remember it being so.

I feel that once someone else takes a design cue its time for the orignator to either tweak it or move on to prevent this from happening. Just my feeling about that. A lot of car makers are going to have to come up with different themes considering how the Koreans are copying everything from Jaguar to Mercedes to Honda and Toyota.

M
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Gee, Merc1, I've always thought that the current coupe looked much sleeker than the drophead. (I've also always been surprised that no one ever bought the coupe.)
  • Options
    Yeah, who would have thought Europe would more regulated than the US? And I'm sorry, I also thought Taurus immediately when I saw the picture - not a great endorsement.
  • Options
    edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    I am just curious where the fellow ends up ....
  • Options
    Gee, Merc1, I've always thought that the current coupe looked much sleeker than the drophead.

Really, that is interesting. That large, bare roof has always looked funny to me, like it didn't fit. America seems to be the land of the convertible. Just about all the high-end convertibles outsell their coupe counterparts - CLK, XK, 911 etc. A convertible is priceless to me, especially on a warm night.

M
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    even though i kinda like the outgoing model better, the headlights gave it a meaner look where as this one looks from the front like a playful child.

The only question i have is really with the design of the interrior, and i mean space. This car is so long, and so big, i don't understand why with such proportions the interrior is so small. Why can't they give this car a real backseat with such huge proportions on the outside?
  • Options
    Passenger and cargo room dimensions haven't been given on the new aluminum XK. The BMW 6 series is bigger than the current 3 series coupe, but the back seats are smaller.
  • Options
    was a joke for the rear seat. It must suck to have someoen pass you in a Cavalier or a focus and know they have more room in the back than your $70,000 Jag.
  • Options
    A focus, maybe, but a Cavalier?
  • Options
    Yeas but the old one was a joke for the rear seat. It must suck to have someoen pass you in a Cavalier or a focus and know they have more room in the back than your $70,000 Jag.

I don't think you get the point of the Jag. IMO it'd be a a mistake to provide a real back seat at the expense of a close-coupled shape. It's not like you'd want to spend more than a few minutes in the back of a 645i.

• Options
    Point taken, but I want a big roomy Jag, front and back seat. What's the point of a Vandan Plas?
  • Options
    the real thing is, that the car is by itself, on the outside so long, and a bit wide even. Thats good and all, but my point is that Jag is not utilising the size of the exterrior as well as it could be.

When a toyota camry solara convertable has a bigger back seat, yes is much shorter than the jag, it makes you think that toyota spent more monay developing that garbage than ford did with this beautiful jag.

If they want to make a jag have a small backseat, fine, but don't make it so big and hard to park!

The car is beautiful, i just hope on the new one the back seat is at least habitable.
  • Options

• Options
    Am I the only one that thinks an XK race car would help crate some positive buzz?
  • Options
  • Options
    The back looks a bit busy, don't you think? What's that above the lic. plate area? :confuse:

• Options
    OK, you can attribute to what is above the lic. frame to a reflection , but is that really an antenna receptacle protruding from the right rear fender to the left of the gas fill cap??
  • Options
    the more I realize that it, not the XK, is the spiritual successor to the E-Type. The V8 Vantages' supple lines, and overall size are fantastic and very sporty.

Too bad it's not a Jag :cry:

• Options
    This is gorgeous BUT in the real world a new 911 with a leather interior, Bose, and some fancy wheels is going costs 73K. The 911 will run all day in all weather and be serviceable at sizeable dealerships open until 8:00 PM with 911 loaners.

At 110K the AM may have tough sledding. It will not be totally flawless and when it needs the inevitable service, one will go to a boutique dealer and will almost certainly not get an AM as a loaner. Although a lot of people will like the bespoke nature of AM. But, as a result of the pricing and other factors, the Vantage may not compete as much with Porsche for the newly single dentist trade as draw sales away from other, higher priced cars (e.g., various Lambos, the R Series XK, Viper, etc.) that traditionally serve as a couples third car.
  • Options
    The new 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage seems like an awesome car, but that is for another thread.
  • Options
  • Options
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks a new and fast XK race car would generate positive buzz for the XK??

:confuse:
  • Options
    in this car is if they gave it 350hp standard and 500hp for an R version, and if they made the backseat usable and the length just a bit smaller.

Oh, and to make the front end look less 80's and more Aston Martin.

Also, what would be nice, for $70,000 was if they continued the wood or aluminum trim to the side door panels, like in the SL500.

This, along with improved reliability.

I guarantee that would spark interest.
  • Options
    Here we go with the back seat again... ;)

It already looks too much like an A-M so that wouldn't help.

Go racing YES YES, absolutely: ALMS, LeMans, Sebring, Watkins Glen. that's what Jaguars are supposed to be about.

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,474
    I agree that Jaguars should be about racing and performance. In that vein, my question is why don't they offer a stick? The Vantage has one available, why not the XK? I know that the present XK8 doesn't offer one, nor did the XJ-S before it, but it looks like the new XK is trying to get back to it's E-type roots. It's time to transplant the Vantage 6-speed into that bad boy, at least as an option.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    Absolutely!

• Options
    I think for those very reasons Porsche isn't really worried about the Aston-Martin.

Every publication so far says that it doesn't match the 911. The Vantage will remain a boutique car. Though I have no doubt they'll sell every one they can make. The car is stunning in its own right.

M
  • Options
    Top Gear or Car Magazine says that if you drive a new Porsche people will not let you merge onto the highway and your car risks being "keyed" at night. Drive the AM Vantage and "people will want to have your babies."

Now I know why I've always thought that the English car magazines have the best writers. Even Brock Yates can't compare to Jeremy Clarkson.
  • Options
    Yeah those British Magazines do have some creative writers and its nice to read what people on the other side of the pond think about the same cars. I currently subscribe to CAR (about $90 a year), but lately its been kinda boring so I'm debating on whether or not I should renew it or go with Top Gear or Evo next time around.

M
  • Options
    It weighs over 500 pounds less than a BMW 650Ci convertible.
  • Options
    The code name for the new XJ is X350.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    I saw one of Jaguar's new "gorgeous" ads yesterday. While the cars are indeed just that, the ads seem to be attempting to put a different spin on a desperate situation, IMO. They're already showing the XK convertible in these ads, 4-5 months before the car actually goes on sales. Unusual. The ads make it seem like Jaguar has given up on competing on the technical and is just simply about flash. All European makes do this to a degree, but these commercials are completely unapologetic about it.

M
  • Options
    Jaguar would have given up on competing on the technical side if they carried over the XK8's chassis, imo. I do think the ads should show the XK's new chassis, but few car makes show the chassis in ads anyway.
  • Options
  • Options
    All 2006 XJs have more powerful brakes than 2004-2005 XJs. Supercharged XJs no longer use Brembo brakes, but the calipers are now floating.

2006 normally-aspirated XJs:

Front: 12.83 x 1.18 in. ventilated discs, floating cast iron calipers

Rear: 12.83 x 0.79 in. ventilated discs, floating aluminum calipers with integral park brake caliper

2004-05 normally-aspirated XJs:

Front: Ventilated discs, 12.6 in x 1.18 in., sliding aluminum calipers

Rear: Ventilated discs, 11.3 in. x .79 in., aluminum calipers

2006 supercharged XJs:

Front: 13.98 in. x 1.26 in. ventilated discs, floating composite aluminum and cast iron four calipers

Rear: 12.83 in. x 0.79 in. ventilated discs, floating aluminum calipers with integral park brake caliper

2004-05 supercharged XJs:

Front: Brembo ventilated R Performance discs, 14.4 in. x 1.26 in., fixed aluminum four piston calipers

Rear: Brembo solid R Performance discs, 13.0 in. x .59 in., fixed aluminum four piston calipers

2006 supercharged XJs have 400 hp (new SAE [Society of Automotive Engineers] ratings) and 413 lb-ft of torque.

The addition of an acoustic laminate to the windshield and side glass of the 2006 XJ helps to reduce interior noise, while simultaneously increasing occupant safety by making "smash and grab" theft particularly difficult.

2006 normally-aspirated XJs have 300 hp and get 27 mpg on the highway.

2006 XJ shown below

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    OK, it's BIG decision time on this. Help me out. Dealer has an '06 Jaguar XJ Super V8 Portfolio and says I should get it before its gone. He says it's a rare chance. I was originally thinking about a loaded '06 XJ Vanden Plas. Then he showed me the Porfolio. Of course, it's gorgeous, but I don't really know if it's worth the giant price difference. Maybe it is, but maybe not. Also, he explained that Jaguar has new '05's at a fair discount, so these price differences become even more staggering . . . and confusing. Help me out here. Give me some feedback from experienced Jaguar folks. Thanks.
  • Options
    There weren't many XK8 race cars made, but this is one of them. AJL Racing made this Jaguar XK8 race car. It has a 4.0 liter V-8 with 450 hp.

• Options
    check the link

New aluminum supplier
This discussion has been closed.