Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Forenza Troubles

sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
edited February 2016 in Suzuki
Has anyone had an issue with their Forenza idling at very high RPM after start up? I've got a Forenza Wagon with a 5-speed that occasionally will idle at 3100 rpm for 2 or three minutes or a mile or so after starting. The other morning, it was stuck at 3100 for 15 minutes and about 8 miles. Manual transmissions will be more evident since the high revs occur when the clutch is pushed in.

Comments

• morganrenmorganren Member Posts: 5
    hello:

I bought a Forenza 1.5 month ago. From the beginning, it has a big allignment problem. I went back to the dealer for 5 plus times now. everytime, they told me they have fixed the problem. However, when I drive on highway, it only takes 3 -4 seconds before it pulls to the right. Does anyone else in here have this problem?

I noticed that the car's steeling wheel tilt to the right (a little bit) if you let it go. so I have to pull the wheel all the time to force it goes straight.

If they can't fix the problem, what should I do? thanks.
  • silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    morganren

If I were you I would call Suzuki and ask them what they would suggest you should do. You probably have their number in the Owners Manual. If not try
    1-800-934-0934.

Another possibility is to take your Forenza to another dealer and let them check it.

Let us know if and how Suzuki takes care of this problem.
    the local dealer called suzuki service and ask them how to fix the problem. they informed me that they are waiting for an answer.

If the problem continue I will try to call the 1 -800 number and figure out by myself. by the way, the dealer told me that they have opened a case for me. I don't know what does that mean.

Thanks silvernubira!
  • mducmduc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 optra and I am having the same problems. The dealership has not been able to fix the problem. the have rotated the tires and changed them but still have the problem. Finally got tired of dealing with GM and am now trying to get rid of car through arbitration. This will be my last GM.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Since you have an Optra I am assuming you are in Canada. If you happen to be in the Toronto area take your car for a checkup at Daewoo dixie 401. They have over 6 years experience dealing with this model car which is really the Daewoo Nubira 3rd generation.
    The only thing that comes to my mind assuming the alignment is correct and there is no problem with the tires are the spring rates. The Optra is a rebadged Daewoo which is sold in many markets with different specifications. For example the original Nubira2 and the rebadged one (Optra in Canada and Lacetti in Europe) have different springs on the suspension. The Daewoo version and the Euro version have tighter springs for a more sporty ride. The North american versions have a softer mushier feel for a GM like ride. I suspect different spec springs were put on the front suspension. Because these cars are built in the same factory, parts could get mixed up.
  • mgreen1mgreen1 Member Posts: 2
    I too am having this same problem. Is your car a wagon? I have been to the dealer twice. They checked the alignment twice. I thought it might be the tires.
  • flyingwflyingw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Aveo with a similar problem. The engine sometime races on start up, taking a few minutes to settle down to its normal idle rpm of about 1,000.

Sometimes the rpm stays high in between shifts (I have manual transmission).

I brought it in for service twice on this problem. The first time a tune-up stopped it for about a week. The second visit had them replace a part I think they called the idle control valve or switch. That was about a month ago.

It's now happening again, not so much at start-up, but during use, whether hot or cold. I'm bringing it in again early next week for service.
    it is not a wagon. I have a Forenza S. I think the problem is due to the steeling system. I noticed that the steeling wheel doesn't face straight (there is an angle if you let it go).

I have tried to ask the dealer to fix the problem for almost 4 months now. I contact the suzuki's customer service to try to get the representive. No response so far. I don't know what should I do. I think I should get rid of this crapy and hang on to Toyota or Honda.

Morganren
  • acinorev2004acinorev2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Suzuki Forenza. The engine light is on and I've already opened and closed the gas cap. I have not put gas recently and only have a quarter tank left so could it still be the gas cap? Why would it take so long to light up? Also, we already replaced the gas cap July 2004 so could there still be a problem? :confuse: The manual says that if the engine light goes on to re-do the gas cap and in a few trips it will go off. What else makes the engine light go on? Is my car going to explode? :cry: Just kidding. Thanks for the help.
    Veronica
  • creekmonkeycreekmonkey Member Posts: 2
    I too as said in previous post have the dreded check engine light comming on. After taking to dealer twice, with both times being told it was because of loose gas cap. I do not agree with the loose gas cap excuse. After the first trip to the dealer I made sure the cap was on tight. As for the light staying on after the cap is re-tightened, the mechanic at the dealership told me the check engine light may go out and may stay on, but in either case it will continue to light up untill the error code is re-set with a scan tool!
  • mac625mac625 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my Chev Optra, (Canadian model), the dealer had to reprogram the throttle computer
  • zero8zero8 Member Posts: 1
    Had a 2004 Forenza and brought it into the dealership about 12 times for this issue. Finally Suzuki gave me some money and hooked me up with a dealer that would give me a high trade it on it, now I have a 2006 just as many problems. This problem will not go away, get out of that car as soon as you can.
  • flavifeflavife Member Posts: 20
    My 2005 Forenza wagon also gave me the check engine light code P0455 the other day. It was caused by a loose gas cap and the real problem is that the cap cannot be tightened properly because the retcheting tensioner in the gas cap has weakened and release too soon when trying to tighten the cap. It is necessary to push hard down on the cap as it is tightened. As soon as I get a chance I shall remove the cap and see what needs to be fixed to allow the cap to be tightened sufficiently.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Getting out is not an option since trade in value is 6000 -6500 with 25k miles (my loan balance is 8700) not bad considering this was a 12,500 car after discounts and rebates less than a year ago.
  • ruthie1019ruthie1019 Member Posts: 1
    don't even think about buying this car, i speak from experience, my husband bought his 2006 forenza, in october, and since january we've been having problems with the car, 5 out of 7 days it does not want to star in the mornings and if you park it for a couple of hours it does the same thing. we've taken it to the dealer like 3 times for the same reason and they say that they are aware of this particular problem with the forenzas but they do not have a fix yet that this is happening all over the nation.
  • cher1983cher1983 Member Posts: 5
    I too have bought an 2006 Suzuki Forenza Wagon and 5 out of 7 days it wont start in the morning. I have taken to the shop 3 times. The first time they replaced the accelarator, the 2nd time they replaced the fule pump, and this time they are trying a re-learning program for the computer. I won't know anything until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. Mean while, I'm left paying for a car that I'm not even using because out of the 4 months I've had it, it has been in the shop for 20 days, and I don't use my car everyday as it is anyway. I don't recomend this car, except so far the warrenty has been great... to date there has easily been $4000 worth of work done on my new car.

Good luck to anyone who has bought one of these cars.
  • crying1crying1 Member Posts: 6
    it won't start 1/2 the time, 3 times in the shop.:( I had to get a lawyer, there is a class action lawsuit.
    I just got incontact with a lawyer over my trouble, but he hasn't said anything about a class action lawsuit against suzuki... when did you find this out? and who is your lawyer?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No lawyer's names, please...
  • nascar11nascar11 Member Posts: 2
    My car has been in shop 3 times already becuase of the air bag sensor light coming on, needing to go again as of today. Has any one had the problem and does anyone thing I should call a lawyer for lemon law. :mad:
  • nascar11nascar11 Member Posts: 2
    went to the shop today with the air bag sensor problem. They put it on the machine to test codes and there was a fault showing in the passenger bag, but the light has since went out and now they are saying I have to drive it until it comes on again. This is the 4th time, does anyone have any insight or has anyone had the same problems
    :lemon:
  • suzukihatersuzukihater Member Posts: 2
    We bought our suzuki forenza in April 2006, the first couple of days the engine didn't start, so what did we do? we called our dealer, who quoted 'just re-start it' ok we think fair enough and it does after 3-4 attemps! the next 2 weeks the sensor light shows up we take it in, after 4-5 different rented used cars from there lot (because 3 of the vehicles they loaned us were faulty too like the light bulb was burnt or the mirrors on both sides were smashed!)
    after them having the car for two whole months we start to considered it as one error on the car(lemon requires two) they put nearly 1,000 miles on our car :sick:
    to this day the sensor light is still on, the car rattles and has lost its power,
    the only justice we got from suzuki was a cheque, nowhere near what they should be giving forenza owners, but dont you all agree it should be made a major lemon car?! and were any of your dealers helpful? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • suzukihatersuzukihater Member Posts: 2
    ok letting out tension in the previous message, what i was meant to say is we didnt qualify for the lemon law because they it was just one major problem not two like they require.
    i just dont understand why everyday you see more people getting screwed for there money from buying a suzuki, and yet nothing can be done about it, there advertising everywhere!
    and if you are possibly trying to trade out, good luck, the resale on the suzuki is TERRIBLE! They left us with 7,000 negative, the car lost half its value.
    Well yesterday I finally got word from suzuki about a buy back on my forenza. They said they would do a "Trade in" on the car, and all I had to do was go and pick out the new Suzuki that I wanted... well, I really didn't want to get another suzuki but I need a car and doing an actual buy back would take another 6 weeks, so I went to the dealership and picked out an Aerio, and I should be able to drive the new one home by wednesday... not exactly the results I was looking for but at least Suzuki is doing something...

Forenza = :lemon:
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Best of luck. Your Aerio should be better. Suzuki announced that the next Forenza will be built by them and not GM Daewoo. The Verona will no longer be brought into the USA. I think soon we will no longer see Daewoo products at Suzuki.
  • bwstylesbwstyles Member Posts: 3
    Man, it seems everyone on this site is hating on Suzuki. I have 40000 miles on my Forenza with no major problems. If I did have any major problem, Suzuki would fix it. These cars have a 100,000 mile warranty. In other words if the motor dropped out after 15 miles, they'd put a new one in. These are economy cars, but if you and your Suzuki dealer take care of the car, it'll take care of you. Much love, Suzuki! :shades:
  • crewzincrewzin Member Posts: 76
    After reading the posts above and the last couple of pages, I see now that the problem (won't start) is common. Ours just started the "no start" thing a week or so ago. Usually it turns over quite fast and either doesn't start or just about catches but stumbles really bad as if it's flooded or not getting enough gas. Stomping on the gas pedal sometimes helps and it finally gets to running speed. The next few times it starts right up and all of a sudden one time it doesn't want to start again.

As someone said a couple posts ago, the trade-in value is next to nothing and we only have 11K miles. Never seen a car drop so fast in value. Up until now it's been a great car with several 900 mile trips up north (from Florida) without a problem. Next free oil change is coming up and I'll mention the "no start" problem, but it doesn't sound like they'll be able to do anything about it. :(
  • chibearsluvchibearsluv Member Posts: 6
    Man, it sounds like nobody's completely satisfied with this vehicle, well neither am I. I've put almost 13K on my '04 forenza S and it really hasn't been that bad. I wish it got better gas mileage for such a small car. I've recently been noticing that my steering column has been making some strange noises, like little squeaking sounds and yes, that car does vear to the right. Has anyone noticed any unusual sounds from their steering? Other than that I've really had no other problems... :confuse:
  • kctkbsskctkbss Member Posts: 2
    I have had to many problems with my Suzuki Forenza. I bough it May 1,2006 from Modern Classic Motors. I owned it 2 weeks and the transmission started to grind when going into reverse (I have a manual transmission). I thought at first it was me then I had a couple of other people drive it and it did the same for them. I notified the dealer and took it down to them--they said that it is a common problem with standards and there is nothing out yet to fix the problem. I told them it was a silinoids(spelling) that were going out because it only does this when the car gets warmed up. They said it was not that and they have talked to Suzuki about it and when they get a part they will let me know. Still nothing yet. Then I owned the car exactly a month and it would not start-it hard started--where it would try to start and then die-then start and spit and sputter.. I called them on that and they said it was another problem with Suzuki and there is not a piece to fix it yet. Then 2 weeks later my engine light came on and it was a sensor problem. Well let me tell you what I am done with Suzuki. If they were aware of any of these problems when I was buying the car why was I not told? I asked a ton of questions when buying the car including " Are there any factory problems I need to be aware of that have not been resolved?" I asked "I won't have any problems with it starting? Because that is the reason I am getting rid of my Mazda Protege--because it won't start have the time..I was told on know this car is an excellent car. This car only had 200 miles on it when I bought it and it was brand new---not used!!! I am not sure what to do--do I call an attorney--do I qualify for the lemon law?? :mad: :lemon: :cry:
    I'm sure the lemon law states that the same problem has to be taken to the dealer at least 3 times whereas the dealer tries to fix it and can't. Sounds like you've been there, but with different problems. Not sure how it comes into play when Suzuki themselves knows there's a problem and supposedly they are working to try and find a fix. So far we've had the hard strating problem pop up 4 times. After several attempts, it does start but quite frustrating for a brand new car. Haven't been to the dealer yet becuase I'm sure if they try it, it will probably start first time. They say they will have to keep it (without a loaner) to see if it will "hard start" in the morning, then (if it does) they will give us a loaner so they can work on it. They claim to know nothing of this forum or any problems that people are having. :(
  • chibearsluvchibearsluv Member Posts: 6
    I recently traded my 2004 forenza S in for a 2006 Toyota Camry. Guess I won't be having any more problems...That car was just crap and I'd rather be upside down for now with this new QUALITY vehicle and watch it level out over time. That forenza would have probably never leveled out until it was completely paid off and it would be worth $10.00...Trade it in I'm tellin ya, for either a toyota or honda!!! :D
  • nuttyjrnuttyjr Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Forenza in 04 brand new and have yet to have any touble other then the usual minor ones. Only one sensor issue had popped up and that was due to my seatbelt not retracting right so my airbag light was on Suzuki replaced the belt now no problem. It may not hold its value for a trade in but I plan on keeping for awhile longer anyways. :)
    Well, since my last post here we've put about 4,000 miles and dozens of starts without the "hard start" problem coming up. Keep my fingers crossed that maybe it went away. Did throw in a heavy concentrated amount of injector cleaner in to see if it would help...maybe it did. I used a large container of Chevron TECHRON cleaner that's supposed to be used on 20 gallons of gas. The Suzuki gas tank was only half full when I added it so that's about 3 times more than normal use. Took two long trips (Fla to Va) and ran fine at 80+ a good part of the way without skipping a beat. Here's hoping it will stay that way. :)
  • georgiagirl912georgiagirl912 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I bought my car just a little over a month ago. I thought it was something that I was doing, but I realized that it is the car drifting.
  • georgiagirl912georgiagirl912 Member Posts: 2
    My Forenza is a little over a month old and I have had to wait for a converter for two of those weeks. It was discovered when the engine light come on. I took a picture in case it went out before I got there, which it did. The suspension is awful. Has anyone else noticed that the key is VERY warm after the car is driven even for a short distance? So is the ignition switch.
  • dorothyanndorothyann Member Posts: 1
    I'm with you on this. I love my forenza. Got 26000 on it. Rides really nice for such a cheap car. I've had 2 problems with it, but Suzuki was so helpful with it, that i cant complain. I had the airbag light problem, but it was because there was something under my seat. And that was my fault, so they were extremely nice about telling me how to fix it. And i also had the starting problem. It took them a while to figure it out, and they gave me my car back until they did. It wasnt a huge deal, just had to try again if it wouldnt start. It turned out to be a computer problem and it took them 5 minutes to fix it when i brought it in. Sorry that you've all had such bad luck with your suzukis..
  • suzukiownersuzukiowner Member Posts: 3
    On the airbag issue, was the dashboard light staying on while driving, and was the belt noticable not retracting? Did it ever go out when you moved the seat back and forth? I have a similar problem, and am trying to diagnose/fix it.
    Thanks
  • suzukiownersuzukiowner Member Posts: 3
    Wow, my dashboard light came on before 36000 miles and I haven't been able to fix it until now. It is now 1000 miles out of warranty. I believe the problem has something to do with the wiring under the drivers seat as moving it makes the light randomly go out. Very frustrating, the dealer will not make any concessions and insists on charging $90 for a diagnosis. Please let me know if your shop comes up with anything
  • vittalvittal Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Farenzo for 1 month now and I have noticed my engine light on...2 miles before this i had my break light and the panic light no((!)). I am suspecting it is a sensor problem. Any one have any idea wht the problem could be,,,
    My car has 3000 miles on it its a 2007 model
  • icescorticescort Member Posts: 12
    I would tighten the clamps around the throttle body and intake tube first.of course, make sure the fuel cap is tight.If you do this in the parking lot of an Autozone auto parts store,perhaps one of those nice guys will walk out and plug in a generic scan tool to read the MIL code and then clear it,which would shut off the lamp on the dash.My Forenza had a recurring MIL (malfunction indicator lamp)that told me I had a "minor evap leak condition".I found that this tightening of clamps on the intake areas cured that problem.I also had a canister purge valve that was stuck in the open position that caused a MIL for a large evap leak.This problem was confirmed and repaired at the selling dealer. They installed a new purge solenoid for the canister and all was good.
  • a21ozcoldcupa21ozcoldcup Member Posts: 4
    I have about 43k on it and absoloutely no problems whatsoever. I drive it real hard, usually between 80 and 90 mph everywhere I go. I bought a budget car and I got what I expected.

I will agree that the TIRES SUCK.. I actually bought a second set of the stock tires last year, not realizing the tires sucked (I thought I sucked at driving) but yeah in the rain they bite, don't last long either.

But seriously, my car has been trouble free, real nice and pleasant to drive.

And to whoever said buy Toyota... um... *laughs at them* .. it's been proven Toyota skews results of reliability, gas mileage and horsepower of it's vehicles for years. Since it's upped it's production level it's been plagued with problems.. for at least 5 years now.. they either keep negative press as quiet as possible.. or hide it... or simply lie. Buy into the hype.. your new toyota isn't any better than a Suzuki, friend.
  • tharrtharr Member Posts: 1
    We have an '05 Suzuki Forenza with 35K miles. 4 months ago the battery completely drained while we were away from home for awhile. There was no evidence of lights left on or any other power drain. The battery charged back up and everything was fine until yesterday when it happened again.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    Same problem on our '05 Forenza. Dealer said the connector on the wire going into the seat came loose. Fixed it & no problems at all since then.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Please really consider whether this car is worth it, cost of ownership is very high, bad tires very few dealers, large depreciation see intellichoice..
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    like the plague...

My wife is looking for a decent little car. The problem here is she test drove a Forenza and loved it. I'm trying to get her into a one or two year old Malibu or Stratus/Sebring. Even a Cobalt or Focus has to be better. I'm not sure what Forenzas are selling for new, but apparently they are selling like hotcakes to the special finance customers. We have poor credit but I would think a used $10K car would be better than even a new Forenza for the same price.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Had a malibu it was reliable, brakes were just ok. Focus is much more reliable fun to drive, had to replace brakes @ 22k they are expensive and leave lots of dust. never get a stratus very bad, try to find used toyota or honda and check maintenance logs, in the long run they will cost less.
    Try to get credit approved before buying. Good Luck :)
  • liwilliamsliwilliams Member Posts: 3
    I bought this car new off the lot with 15 miles on it 10/29/2006. After 300 miles, the air bag indicator on the passenger side stopped working. Got it fixed but now at 18,000 miles indicator light back on. This car will not start when temp is below 20 degrees. However, when 20-25 it stalls out no matter where you are. This car has been towed 4 times and in the shop 6 times between December and April. Each time I am told it is fixed but it has never been fixed. Manufacturer rep is totally useless. Now, I am going to see an attorney. This is a killer car!
    I live in NC and I have the same problem. When the temp is below 20 it will not start, 20-25, it stalls out even in traffic which is really nasty during Charlotte rush hour. This car has been towed 4 times and in the shop 6 times, all for the same problem. I would suggest filing a case with Better Business Bureau or calling one of the Action Alerts TV programs. My car has 18000 on it.
    Mine nearly drives itself; however, the steering wheel does make noises like the fluid is low but it is not.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Avoid at all cost the Cobalt and Stratus/Sebring. Malibu or Focus are ok. Consider too, much more reliable models like a Mitsubishi Lancer, Mazda 3 or Hyundai Elantra. From Suzuki only Aerio, Sx4 because they are real Suzuki products. Sadly Forenza/Reno/Verona are plagued with problems, pity because they look soo nice and low price is tempting. But hey spend 3 thousand more and go for a Lancer.