Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Squeaks & Rattles

talariatalaria Member Posts: 16
I'd like to keep the problem with noise attributed to the rear brakes on the hybrid thread going. We have been getting a noise from the right rear of our new hybrid, which is only about a month old. It started about a week after we got it. At first we did not pay much attention to it but it has gottem much louder when it occurs now. The only problem is that it never occurs when we make an appointment and take it to the dealer.

However, I don't think the noise is coming from the brakes as a couple of the others above have suggested. And in our case it has nothing to do with making turns. It is totally radom and naturally when we make an appointment with the dealer there is no noise. We took it to the dealer the other day when it was making the noise and they would not come out and listen. We were told again to make an appointment so we did and NO NOISE!

The reason I do not feel it has anything to do with the brakes is the chirp, chirp high pitched noise occurs with each revolution regardless of the brakes being applied or not, or applied lightly or hard or even riding them and the faster you go the more frequent the chirp, chirp. If it were the brakes or pads I would expect some change in the volume of the chirp or that it would go away as the brakes are applied.

I have met another escape hybrid owner having the same problem and his dealer could not find anything wrong but like us when he takes it in the noise does not occur.

I would appreciate any thoughts or help from others that have experienced the same problem.

Comments

• anderson8anderson8 Member Posts: 2
    Just to add to the thread...I purchased my '05 Escape Hybrid in January. In June, the intermittant screaching from the rear wheels started up. It is the worst at slow speeds and does not happen all the time. It seems, however, that every time it does happen, it is worse and louder than the time before. The car is currently in the shop.

One other problem I forgot to mention in my last thread...my Airbag warning light is on about 60% of the time for no apparent reason. The dealer is also taking a look at this. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
  • nimhbugnimhbug Member Posts: 3
    "One other problem I forgot to mention in my last thread...my Airbag warning light is on about 60% of the time for no apparent reason. The dealer is also taking a look at this. I'll keep you posted on the progress."

when i first picked up my car (2006 hev) and my salesman was showing me some of the dashboard goodies, he pointed out the airbag light for the front passenger side. apparently the seat has a sensor, and if there isn't at least 40lbs of weight on the seat, the airbag is automatically disabled, and the warning light goes on.

this is allegedly a cost saving accident feature, assuming if there is only one person in the car (the driver) and they are involved in an accident, the airbags on the passenger side are not unnecessarily inflated. i can see how this would be a pain, if you are involved in a minor fender bender, replacing two sets of airbags instead of just one can be costly.

maybe that answers the question...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "when i first picked up my car (2006 hev) and my salesman was showing me some of the dashboard goodies, he pointed out the airbag light for the front passenger side. apparently the seat has a sensor, and if there isn't at least 40lbs of weight on the seat, the airbag is automatically disabled, and the warning light goes on.

this is allegedly a cost saving accident feature, assuming if there is only one person in the car (the driver) and they are involved in an accident, the airbags on the passenger side are not unnecessarily inflated. i can see how this would be a pain, if you are involved in a minor fender bender, replacing two sets of airbags instead of just one can be costly."

I think your salesman was blowing smoke at you, or simply uninformed.

When you have a passenger in the right hand seat, does the SRS light go out?
  • puravidapuravida Member Posts: 4
    I've been told that the weight sensitivity of the passenger seat air bag is a feature designed to help protect small children from the air bag in case you must carry a child in that seat.
  • stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    There are two SRS lights. One in the instrument cluster that indicates a fault in the system (bad) and one on the center stack under the radio that indicates the passenger side bag is being disabled. This is done to protect light-weight passengers from a dangerous airbag deployment. There's a sensor in the seat called an Occupant Classification Sensor that tells the system if there's someone in the seat and whether they weigh enough for a full-power airbag deployment to be safe.

If you put something that weighs a few pounds on the passenger seat it'll trip the sensor. If you put a 100+ pound person on the seat, the light will go off. If that person gets out of the vehicle while it's running, the light will turn on for a moment as the sensor notices the change in the weight on the seat, then it will go back out.

This is normal behavior. If the light is going on and off without anything on the passenger seat there's a problem with the OCS and it should be checked.
    Any chance the squeal is from the parking brake? It's a separate system from the discs, and I've had some noise on mine.

Next time you hear it try pulling up kind of quickly on the parking brake handle then releasing immediately. Kind of just give it a little jerk (not too hard you don't want to lock up the rear wheels). See if that makes it go away.
  • dvhdvh Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 3 week old 2006 Escape Hybrid and I am experiencing the same exact problem you are. In fact the service manager of the dealership took the car for the weekend to see if he could hear it, in five trips in across 3 weeks it has not done it for them.

It is interesting that there are so many others with the same exact symptoms. I will post here if he has anything to say after his weekend of testing.

If anyone else hears of a diagnosis I would be very interested to know...before invoke the California Lemon Law.
    If you hear it again try pulling up on the parking brake handle, then releasing. I believe the noise is a dragging parking brake shoe...but since it's so intermittent I'm having a hard time demonstrating it to the dealer.
    Thanks for the update.

It is actually illegal to put a child under 14 years of age in the front seat here in CA.

I should note that according to your explanation, the original post indicates that there is an error in that Escape; the light is not supposed to be lit if the front right seat is empty.
    "One other problem I forgot to mention in my last thread...my Airbag warning light is on about 60% of the time for no apparent reason. The dealer is also taking a look at this. I'll keep you posted on the progress."

Did you ever get this fixed? I just read the FEH Owners manual, and that light is not supposed to be lit unless there is a light weight object on the front right seat. If it is coming at any other time, there is a problem with the passenger SRS, and it might not function properly.

Here is the URL for the owners manual in PDF. The most current FEH manuals are also located here:

http://tinyurl.com/egzox

BTW, I passed on buying an FEH, and got a Ford Freestyle instead. But I was tempted, and drove the FEH as a possibility.
  • detjendetjen Member Posts: 6
    Ours has a couple of different bad noises - and they have been unbearable at times.

We've had brake squeak that was ear piercing in the parking garage at work, they cleaned the rotors - it came back. They turned (or replaced) a rotor - and it went away.

We've had a squeak in the rear drivers side - that is not brake related. It sounds a lot like an old styrofoam ice chest squeak. It is louder when you have people in the back seat - and once it starts it just gets louder and louder. It's been in the shop several times for this. some times they hear it - some times they don't. They've lubricated the bushings on the suspension, they've replaced the suspension, they've told us it was the body panels, and they've broken the tabs on the body panels trying to force them into place.

The ford dealership seems to have (somewhat) fixed the styrofoam ice chest squeak (we've only slightly heard it since the last trip to the shop) - but now we have a loud rattle coming from the same area. I wonder if they lost a screwdriver in there or something.

We're waiting for a ford rep to come to look at it - but we'd just like to get our money back. It drives nicely, we get 32mpg from normal driving with the AC on, and much better when we drive for economy. But the noises have been too unnerving. What is making the squeaks and rattles? How do we know it's safe to drive if they can't figure out what it is? Is there maybe a sharp piece of metal wearing it's way through the gas tank causing the squeak? Maybe it's a brake line rubbing on something? Maybe the rattle is from some safety feature for the hybrid batteries that keeps the high voltage from frying the frame? They haven't been able to figure it out in at least 7 stays in the shop - so who know what it could be?

We've had it less than a year, have about 8,000 miles on it - and it's been in the shop for probably more than 60 days total. We've been told that we can't lemon law it because it is driveable. The lemon law covers a vehicle that is considered unsafe. Since they can't tell what's making the squeaks and rattles - can Texas lemon law be invoked because it can't be proven to be safe? I don't want to be sitting in a hospital burn unit, a body cast, or a casket - before someone at ford realizes the annoying sounds were a loud warning of a deadly dangerous situation!
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I can't give you a real answer because I don't have the same issues with my 2006 4wd FEH, but.....

I suspect some of the noises are related to the regenerative braking - something regular cars don't have. I notice some noises related to how much braking pressure I am applying (Do you?)

In addition I assume from your 32mph that you do not have 4wd. Although this is added "unsuspended" weight it may help with related noises related to rear wheels.

If it makes you feel safer.....I feel your "doomsday" scenarios [ ;) ] about the dangers of the root cause of the noise would have probably been reported by someone else by now, someone with a 2005 model, etc.

Keep checking the forums to follow noise reports by other owners. Push Ford Customer Service - they know they have a lot riding on Hybrid success - and should be up-to-date Service Bulletins, etc. related to noises, braking, suspension.

Good Luck :)
  • fiddlebansheefiddlebanshee Member Posts: 1
    Dear Detjen,

I can totally relate to your post. We're also ready to throw in the towel. We have exactly the same styrofoam squeek at exactly the same spot. We've actually sat in the cargo area while driving and determined that it came from behind the side wall at the front side of the wheel well. Ít's been in the shop 3 times for this. The last time the dealership replaced the shock. It helped for exactly 24 hours. Now it's back and as you say it gradually becomes louder once it is back.

If they can't find a solution for this I'm going to try to get the dealership to take it back, even if I have to hand in $5k or something like that. We've had it or 6 months, it has almost 9000 miles on it. We're about to go to Nova Scotia from Leesburg, VA and in stead of driving up as our intention was, I'm now checking last minute plane tickets, which, with the car rental overthere will cost me at least another thousand dollars extra.

We're at the end of our rope. The sound makes the vehicle undriveable as far as I am concerned. Ford did deliver a lemon in this vehicle and I'm going to see if what the lemon laws are in VA.

Let me know if you ever solve it. I commiserate with you.
  • larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    I have a new Escape Hybrid as well. And, the same noise. It doesn't do it often or for very long. I have an appointment day after tomorrow and I know it won't do it when I take it in.

Wish me luck
  • ladytechladytech Member Posts: 1
    i don't have any ides about the noise. but be sure they look for a tech. service. bulton they are given to tech about common probs If this many people are haveing the prob there probley is one
    Well, I took my HEV in for the squeak. They know what it is, and so does the factory. They will be issuing a service tech order (or whatever they call it) at which time they will address and repair the problem. No recall will be announced. Keep in touch with your dealer on this. They won't call you.
    My dealer says it's the right rear shock absorber. There's a cap on the top of the shock that gets crooked somehow and rubs on the wheel or something. He wasn't too sure himself.
  • detjendetjen Member Posts: 6
    We were offered compensation for the 52 days our FEH had spent in the shop by the Ford representative Jim Leary. We provided copies of our monthly payment and such when we picked the car up from it's 8th trip to the dealer in 10 months/8500 miles (since new).

The car started squeaking again the next day (WHY CAN"T FORD FIX THIS?). We drove it back in for the service manager to hear again, and told him we'd had it - that we wanted Ford to buy the car back from us. He said that he'd already talked with Leary about what they would do if we brought it back again - but he didn't say what it was.

We went from there to the Honda dealership to see what they would give us in trade for a Pilot. They said the car was in perfect condition - but they'd have to call the ford delearship to get a trade in value. They came back, and said that after they gave the Ford dealership the VIN, that they said it was only worth $16,000. NADA trade in on a 2005 FEH with the same equipment was $25,000 - yet the vehicle that Ford says we should be happy with - they tell people is only worth $16,000. Rotten, crooked, two faced,.. . Those are the nicest adjectives I can think of for the people at Ford.

To top it off - Jim Leary called us back and said that he changed his mind - and he won't reimburse us for the loss of use of the vehicle. He offered to swap us out into a new 2006 FEH. We didn't want that (we don't want another one), but we listened to see what he was offering. We would have to pay for depreciation, tax, title, license, dealer prep and delivery. Basically he wanted us to pay several thousands of dollars with just the hope that the next one would be better. Really Jim - how stupid do you think we are?

Ford - when did you let your dealerships and corporate representatives get to be so dishonest and underhanded. We had an agreement to be reimbursed for the loss of use of our vehicle which was accepted by both parties - why rescind it? You have lost all of my faith, trust and business. I've bought a new Super Duty every 4 years since the late 70's. I spent $50,000 on the last one in 2003. I don't know what I'll buy next year - but it won't be a Ford. Anyone I hear is interested in a Ford (especially an Escape Hybrid) is going to get as much time as I can dedicate to telling them about how terrible mine was - and how terrible the dealership and Ford Corporate treated me.
    "It is actually illegal to put a child under 14 years of age in the front seat here in CA. "

IF the vehicle has airbags. My '87 Corolla doesn't.
    "BTW, I passed on buying an FEH, and got a Ford Freestyle instead. But I was tempted, and drove the FEH as a possibility."

Interesting, I also shopped the FEH, but bought the FS.
  • jambrosiojambrosio Member Posts: 1
    I hope this continues the thread. I am having the same high pitched "squeak" from the rear wheel of my Hybrid. My Ford dealer said they could not find the problem and they have never heard of it before. I am also having a rattle/grinding noise from the front passenger wheel. They could not find that either. It is a company vehicle so I am going to check with the other Escape owners and our fleet service company and see if there are any other reported instances.
    I will let everyone know what I find out.
  • gpelletiergpelletier Member Posts: 5
    I got locked out of my car the other day, with the keys still in the ignition, car on, A/C running. I stopped to pick up some kids, jumped out of the car, put something in the hatchback and all the doors locked up. Is anybody else annoyed with the fact that all the doors constantly lock automatically? I'm always afraid to get out with the keys still in the car.
  • thudgins217thudgins217 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same recurring noise coming from my rear wheel, guess we described it as a rotational rubbing noise when brakes are applied. My Escape is not a Hybrid. It is 2006 XLT.
    It has been in the shop 3 times since September 2, 2006, and is going back today for the fourth time. But after all this, I did a search and found that this is also happening with Hybrids and I'm sure other Escapes as well.

The first visit September 2nd, I asked that someone ride in my vehicle with me, but they were "too busy" and I was told they could do a brake inspection, they ordered parts and had me go ahead and pick my vehicle up the same day until the parts came in. Second visit September 6-7, they replaced the rear brake pads and machined the rotors in rear and front. Then noise returned after a few days.
    Third visit September 14-18, they cleaned the HUB, drum and wheel of "surface corrosion"
    Noise returned evening of 9/19.

I'm also in Texas, and I agree if they cannot figure out what is causing the noise, then how do they know its safe to be driving regarding the Lemon Law issue :confuse:
    Ive been told so many things in the past few weeks that Im about at my wits end with this issue.
  • devomidevomi Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 Hybrid FWD--I am getting the "Squeekng" noise as well--I have found it to be coming from the boot that covers the upper part of the Drivers rear Shock. This plastic Boot can be rotated. When the squeek starts, I rotate the boot 5 derees or so. It is not a cure, but it does go away for a few days. I will have the dealer look at it when I bring it in for something.
  • alektronalektron Member Posts: 3
    We DID have the two types of squeaks in our 2006 4WD (bought Feb 2006): one that occurs as one of the wheel rotates (only when turning right or left) and the other that is the styrofoam type of squeak when accelerating. Sometime around August the styrofoam squeak disppeared and hasn't returned in a couple months. We took the Escape in for a 6-month service and mentioned the rotating squeak. After we got the vehicle back, I asked and checked the paperwork. They said that they couldn't hear it. But we didn't hear it either. Perhaps it went away during the service. Anyway, with these squeaks gone, our attitude about our purchase has improved, and I can say that we are satisfied with the vehicle. The 6-month service at two-hundred plus is steep, so I'll most likely be doing the future oil changes myself and I hope more. For penny pinchers, you can buy the filter for $9 and Ford and the oil at the store for $5, so you'll save about $20 and moreover, get to know your vehicle.

By the way, the service technician filled up our vehicle with an extra half liter of oil. We know this because I checked the dipstick afterward. It was past the "full" mark. One of the clerks said that actually the oil fill level was determined when the motor is running and that it wouldn't cause a problem to have it past the fill line. Yet the manual says DO NOT OVERFILL. Any comments? Dipsticks are always measured when the motor is off, so I think his words are baloney.
  • rrachowrrachow Member Posts: 1
    I have a squeak at times when the car is going slow. I've had it at the dealer for this problem 3 times (and of course they haven't heard it). They said they can't find anything wrong with it. Have you heard anything from Ford?
  • tdalboratdalbora Member Posts: 2
    I have 4200 miles on our 06 Hybrid with these same squeaks. I dropped the car off a week ago -

It seems Ford knows about the problm and is working on a fix .. I'm waiting.

Anyone else??
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey guys, new to this forum. Here is the TSB info for the shock bushing squeak. This TSB was put out on 10/3/06

TSB
    06-20-12 SQUEAK / CREAK NOISE FROM REAR - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 9/5/2006

This TSB describes a fix that no dealer would ever have thought up on their own.

If your dealer is unwilling to fix this problem, find one that will.

Mark.
  • tdalboratdalbora Member Posts: 2
    How can I get a copy of this TSB? Is there really a fix?
    This could be considered propiatary info so I can't be more specific than I was.

Mark.
  • gr8escapegr8escape Member Posts: 2
    I have 80,000 miles on my 2001 Gr8Escape and have not had an issue until this winter. My wife started hearing a squeak from the front end while turning the steering wheel. I found the technical service bulletin (TSB) #04-22-10 on the Internet. Although the symptoms from this bulletin where identical to mine this was not the solution to my squeak. I narrowed it down to the tie-rod end on the Driver side. I removed the boot from the tie rod end, lubricated the ball joint with lithium grease and packed the boot full of wheel bearing grease. This solved the problem.

Cost of repair $0 dollars, Time spent 1.5 hours,
    Wife satisfied: Priceless
  • texas72texas72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Escape XLT with 55,000 miles. Well...mine just starting squeaking. When I am driving at slow speeds and have any type of up and down movement it squeaks or when I turn the wheel from left to right in park it squeaks and makes a rubbing sound. This is coming from the front on the driver side. It never has done this before. When I first heard it I was on a very poorly maintained road and thought maybe the squeaking was due to the road conditions. I drove it on a nicely paved road and it still does this. WHY????
  • gmoreaugmoreau Member Posts: 4
    Yep, it squeaks, but only sometimes, and yep, Ford dealer said that it was probably "rust on the brakes" (2006 FEH with about 10,000 miles). Will print out the TSB and bring it to the Ford dealer, but the problem, in general, is that Ford is not owning up to this because when you bring it in, it doesn't squeak (i.e., it squeaks only intermittently). In general, I'm not impressed with Ford. I have an extended/comprehensive warranty, including oil changes for three years. When I contacted them at 7500 miles (the set time for the change), they responded that because of "new testing," they upped the time required for the oil change to 10,000 miles. Well, that means that they save money, and my oil changes cost more over time. Ugh. (Am about to post on another thread about the unbelievably poor winter mileage I'm getting--it dropped from 184 miles to empty to 182 miles to empty in less than a minute of driving, at 18.9 mpg!!). Anyone know about how the Toyota Highlander compares with the FEH?
    How does getting 2Xs the milage between oil changes cost you more?

Mark.
  • gmoreaugmoreau Member Posts: 4
    Not sure what you mean by 2 times the mileage, but here's the analysis:

Let's say there's 75,000 miles on the FEH over three years.

What I get based on original contract: 10 oil changes

What I get with new rules: 7.5 oil changes.

Therefore, the cost is 25% higher for each individual oil change.

Greg
  • hsvengineerhsvengineer Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a used 2005 FEH in April 2006. Ever since we have heard very intermittently what can only be described as a "Whooping" noise from the rear end (battery pack?). It occurs mostly, but not always, when the car is first started, and the transmission gear is irrelevant. The "Whoop" can be fairly loud or quite faint. The dealer has no idea, and the noise cannot be demonstrated since it occurs randomly. It does seem to occur in hot weather more that cold. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or have any ideas. We are quite satisfied with the FEH performance except for this annoying "Whooping" sound.
    As you know, noises can be difficult to diagnose. From what you report is sounds like something related to the A/C unit that cools the HVBattery. If it happens at startup after the truck has been sitting in the sun on a hot day...I would suspect the cooling system. There are two refridgerant lines that lead to the system and a door to change out the filter for the fan. When the sound is occuring, go back and open the access door (interior of cargo area on the drivers side) and remove the filter and see if the noise is more obvious. Just a first guess, good luck and be safe. :D
    You are assuming that the cost of the program is the same which it is not.

Ask what scheduled maintence costs for the FEH vs. the Gas Escape. The FEH is less.

Mark.
  • tomgentomgen Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have an 08 FEH with about 3800 miles on it. A week or two ago I noticed that when I accelerate from a stop or very slow rolling speed, there is a single thumping sound, then everything is fine. This noise sounds like it's coming from from the front left. It occurs regardless if the engine is running or if it's running on battery, so it is NOT the the rumble that occurs when the engine starts. I don't hear it if I back up. I also did not notice it when the engine was cold and running at higher RPMs. The engine noise may have masked the thump. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Sorry if I posted this the wrong section. I'm not sure if this engine, trans, or suspension related.

Thanks,

Tom
    Tom -

That does not sound normal. If you can produce the noise on command....I would take it to the dealer and have a service advisor ride with you and listen to the thump.
    Thanks for the feedback. I just to find out if anyone else has experienced an issue like this before.

Regards,

Tom
  • arlopez05arlopez05 Member Posts: 1
    Tom,

I have the exact same issue with my 08 Escape Hybrid!!! I took it to the dealer and one of their techs said he did not hear anything... Unfortunately the "Thump" was not as loud as usual when we took the drive but you could definetely hear it. It almost sounds like a loose motor mount but I was told it wasnt...At least I know now I'm not crazy! Good luck figuring it out, if I do I'll let you know...
    Hi,

It's good to know that I am not the only person with this issue. Sorry the dealer couldn't hear the noise. I never went to the dealer because it is such a hassle, and like your experience, I don't expect them "hear" the thump either. I will wait until I have to go in for service and then tell them about it.

Regards,

Tom
  • joseph85750joseph85750 Member Posts: 22
    I got my 2008 Hybrid last July. Love it so far!

I have a squeak which I've narrowed down to specific conditions:

1) It's warm outside, and/or the vehicle is warm (therefore the frame/parts are warm)

2) When warm, it will occur when the gasoline engine is running.

3) It NEVER occurs while driving and the brakes are applied. The entire time the brakes are being applied, it will not squeak.

4) It NEVER occurs while driving on electric power only.

The squeak is more like a short chirp. It sounds like a squeak that an air conditioner clutch might make when it engages/disengages, or bearings in a motor might make intermittently. I suspected it was the regenerative brakes, but not sure. After the vehicle is moving, like cruising in the city, it might chirp once every 20 seconds.

Also, after the vehicle has been sitting in the hot sun for a while, and it's started, it will make these squeaks/chirps more frequently. After the vehicle has been running for a minute or 2, they will taper off and occur on the interval mentioned earlier (about every 20 seconds).

I don't see a relationship between the squeaks and the gasoline engine turning on/off.

Anyone else have this issue?
  • k2slck2slc Member Posts: 2
    Hi there -- Am new to this forum. Got my 08FEH last November and over the past 4-5 months have experienced a squeaking/chirping sound. Could not figure out from where it was coming. Mostly, but not always noticeable on warmer days, after driving in the city for about 20-30 min, and mainly when turning/curving to the left (although occ. straight or right).

Just took my FEH in yesterday for the 5000 mile maintenance and told them about it/wanted the squeak addressed. Service guy today when I picked it up said it is a brake issue/problem with the engineering with rust building up on the brake over time and causing the squeak. He said that Ford Engineering is working on it but that they have a temporary fix that they used for now. I asked him what that was and he said they take it out and drive it 20-30 mph and then stop it with the emergency/parking brake. That takes the rust off and gets rid of the squeak and that I should be good for about a month. I said I'd be back obviously and he said I could do the temporary fix myself. Yeah, right.

Is this a crock of #%#&*&@ or is this for real. Anyone else been told this or heard of this? I LOVE my FEH other than this. Am getting 32 mpg with my usual driving and I love the handling, quiet, and space.
  • johndix60johndix60 Member Posts: 21
    I am curious regarding the 5000 mile maintenance interval you quoted. I have a 2008 MMH and the owners manual very clearly indicates a 10,000 oil change maintenance interval. Is the 2008 Escape manual different?

I know that I have received a mailing and a telephone call from my Mercury dealer about coming in at 5000 miles, and it seems that there is a disconnect on this issue between the manual and the dealer's awareness. It is synthetic oil after all, and 10,000 is a conservative value for an oil change at that.

John Dixson
    I noticed the same thing. The dealerships don't really seem to know what is going on when it comes to the maintenance schedule. I would think they would have some computer database with my vehicle info in it, and know exactly what the schedule should be, what work has been done, all correspondence I've had with them, etc. But as far as I can tell, Ford doesn't use computers at all in any respect. Every time I call them, I have to totally start from scratch. At least this is the case with my local dealership in Tucson (Jim Click).
    Rust-- that's an interesting explanation. I live in Tucson, and we don't get a whole lot of vehicle rust/issues here because it's so dry (humidity last week was 6%).
    However, speaking of parking brake, I once had an issue where I used the parking brake when parking on a slope. After I started driving, it was squeaking a lot. So, I stopped, put on the brake again, and let it 'snap back' when I released it. That got rid of that squeak, and it's not been back since.
    I still like the vehicle a lot. My display currently says I'm getting 37.1 MGP.
  • k2slck2slc Member Posts: 2
    I was curious about the 5000K check-up too. In my 2008 manual in the back I think it says it is mainly an inspection and a tire rotation issue. Since I put snowtires on my FEH over the winter and just had my regular tires put back on, I wasn't too worried about the tire rotation. I mostly took it in because of "the squeak". When I dropped it off, the service advisor said the oil change would be free, as the dealer does the first one free. I asked why they were going to do one, since the manual does not indicate a need for an oil change until 10K miles. He said that he didn't really think that was smart and that although he knows this is what Ford says, he still advises every 3500 miles. I think the bottom line is that they want them coming in for oil changes to get the money.

Given that the bottom line on my bill yesterday was 0, I'm not going to complain. Now I'll settle into the regular routine of following the manual, rather than what the dealer service is saying.

Kristen