Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions

patflapatfla Member Posts: 14
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Maybe people have been saying this already but I'd like to confirm (or disprove) my understanding.

The AC basically uses the battery. But when the battery drops sufficiently low (which is not that far from the top since the system wants in general to keep the battery something close to fully charged), then you'll indirectly pull on the ICE. Since some portion of ICE power will need to back-flow to the battery (because the air conditioning [among others] has been pulling on it).

Is this basically correct? If so, one implication (I believe) is that the AC is only directly connected to the battery. Not the ICE.

pat

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes your understanding is correct.

Example if you were stuck still in traffic on a sweltering day you might be running the AC on the battery at the start but eventually it will be battery and ICE.
  • camygcamyg Member Posts: 11
    You are basically correct. But in fact, the AC compressor is powered by an AC (alternating current) motor (with its own inverter mounted on the compressor motor) from the DC 244.8 volt system, which can be fed from the ICE through MG1, MG2 when you are coasting down or braking (both through the inverter and booster converter), or the battery.

Page TH-7 in the 2007 Camry Hybrid New Car Features files from TundraSolutions.com provides a reasonably good schematic of the electrical system.

Since the majority of battery charging comes from the ICE, running the AC will definitely cause a hit to MPG.

I have posted a message on a basic test I did to determine the effect of AC on MPG in the Real World MPG thread, along with all my mileage data so far.
  • ljk3ljk3 Member Posts: 10
    I have a question about power seats in a 2007 Camy Hybrid.

Due to my size, I need to get power seats. Are power seats standard are are they only available with the leather option.

Also, as far as I can tell Camry hybrids either come stripped or fully loaded. Is it possible to get the leather option w/o a moonroof or the DVD player.

Thanks

LJK
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Multi-adjustable power driver’s seat with adjustable seatback and lumbar support, STANDARD on Hybrid and all other models, except the CE.

The packages add power to the PASSENGER seat, as well as heat. ;)

Moonroof Package - includes power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade, dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors with dimmer control and rear personal reading lights
    Comfort and Convenience Package [12] - includes heated front seats and outside mirrors
    Leather Package - includes leather-trimmed seats and door trim with integrated armrests, driver and front passenger power seats, and dual front and rear map pockets
    Available Options:

Voice-activated DVD navigation system [7] with JBL® AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer with satellite radio capability [4] , MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [5] wireless technology, eight speakers in six locations and FM diversity reception

Heated outside mirrors

If you live where it gets very cold in the winter, I heartily suggest the heated seats and mirrors, they are a great help!
  • ljk3ljk3 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for you quick answer. I should have seen it myself.

If I might bother you for a second/third question. Car heated sears and heated mirrors be added as a dealer option?

LJ
    I don't have any knowledge of that. Most cars heated seats are factory installed. Mirrors, one assumes, could be interchanged after market, as the connections should all be factory installed.

Usually, no matter the price asked, it is cheaper to buy factory installed, and of course would then be covered by the original warranty. ;)
  • bjoh11bjoh11 Member Posts: 3
    I am 6' 7" and drive a base model Camry Hybrid- I have no issues with the driver power seat and can sit comfortably in the manually adjusted passenger seat as well. More leg room than older camrys I have sat in. I decided against a moon roof in that headroom is then minimal.

I do not see the base model as "stripped". All comes to what luxury (leather - electronics) you are willing to pay for. I live in MN- leather is cold in the winter and hot in the summer- the seats take a while to heat. I would have probably paid for navigation if that option were allowed. Read outs to play with -6 disk stereo w/aux input- bluetooth phone are standard.
    The evidently changed the "base" equipment, and the 2007 is now exactly the same, equipment-wise as the LX & XLE ICE. ;)
  • zoocosmozoocosmo Member Posts: 13
    The only thing missing is a power passenger seat and standard moonroof. Awesome car according to all that have it. Standard VDIM.....

I am going to get one soon. One thing that I found as a must is Nav. All of my customers that have purchased TCH w/nav have had the best experiences using their systems using the GUI.

Happy Researching......
    Exactly!

I had the same experience with the Murano with and without the NAV...I tell people now, its like a microwave. One you have it, you can't imagine ever being without! ;)
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I notice that when the auto feature is used on the hybrid Camry's system, the AC light is also on, always. Since I live in a dry climate, AC use is appropriate in summer months only or when defogging the windshield.

Even assuming a very efficient AC system, I'd think it lowers gas mileage slightly, wears out parts faster, etc.

Of course, it's possible I don't understand how the system operates. But, as it now stands, I'm inclined to not use the auto feature.
    Auto is auto. The system, based on its temperature sensors, inside and outside, and I believe there is a sensor on the dash measuring direct sunlight, which effects the inside "feeling" determines if the AC compressor needs to run or not. I also believe just because the light is on, it does not mean the compressor is running all the time.

Remember that 72* and sunny outside might be just perfect for people, but close yourself in a metal box, with lots of windows (your car), and you will pass out from the radiant heat!

Although there is no dispute about it lowering MPG (about 1 MPG) you shouldn't be worried about parts "wearing out".

For about 15 years now in Mercedes, Caddy's, Lincolns, Lexus, the automatic systems have used sensors, inside and out, to determine compressor runs. It has slowly expanded, this use of high-end, sophisticated air handling systems, to many other vehicles.

Now prepare yourself for a dozen posts from the "enthuasists" about how they never run their AC, unless it is over 100*, yada, yada. :P
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    I also dislike this behaviour. But here is the rationale :

If the air after the evaporator coil is cool enough, the compressor won't run.

My car sits in a heated garage. Each time the car starts, it runs the compressor for a few seconds until cold winter air is drawn into the system. This circulates oil in the circuit to keep it in shape for the next warm season.
  • rnharperrnharper Member Posts: 3
    I am considering a TCH but was wondering if anyone had tried to transport a double bass in one before.

thanks,
    Roger
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This one will wind up in the Toyota Camry Hybrid Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions discussion, but as I have experience with double basses and moving them around :P I'll give you my two cents.and we can finish up here before I move the posts to that discussion.

I don't think... check that... I KNOW you won't get a double base into ANY sedan. I don't even think it would matter if you were talking about a 1/4 size vs a 3/4 size. I play double bass and help out with our local school summer orchestra program. Our director plays double bass professionally and seats need to be folded down in his Jeep Cherokee to fit his bass inside. And even then you have to be careful to not put any unusual pressure on the bass to avoid damaging it. And that's just in a padded bass bag. You also certainly wouldn't want to transport the bass with any part of it hanging outside the vehicle either. And if you've got an expenive hard shell bass case, it's a LOT bigger still.

The parents of kids in our orchestra that transport their own basses around ALL have vans to handle the task.

The sheer size and fragility of the bass makes storage and transportation of them a real issue. My one daughter plays a full size cello and it's large enough that it won't fit in the trunk of either of our vehicles, soit either takes up the entire rear seat, or we recline the passenger seat and strap it in there.
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. If I want to hybrid I guess I will be looking at the Highlander.

Roger
    Toting a double bass around really forces you into larger vehicles. :sick:
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Or a hard shell weatherproof rook rack system??
    I suppose you COULD strap a hardshell case on top of a vehicle, but those cases, in addition to being very large, are also VERY pricey, on the order of $2000.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I'm just glad you told us what a double bass was before all the me-too fanatics decided they wanted one too ;)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, else some of our members (names withheld) might have reckoned they could get a super-sized, two-headed fish and wondered where one might catch this creature which would, in any case, not fit into a Camry :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Excuse me... where might I find this two-headed fish???? :)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Your bass may fit in a Prius with the seats folded down. Much better for hauling stuff than the Camry. May nave more room than the Highlander.
  • pianewmanpianewman Member Posts: 8
    I can't find the post re: how to turn off the Recirculate switch, which comes on every time the car is re-started. Could someone enlighten me? Is there a way to change this automated setting?
    I prefer to run the car on a "vent" setting, not on automatic.
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately, it can be changed but only by the dealer. See: http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm

After intro, select Other Features, then Customizable Electronic Features, for a full listing of the default vs. optional settings.

I've an appointment tomorrow to get several default climate system settings changed.
  • slywunslywun Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed today that I have water coming up through the carpet in both the front and rear of the cabin (drivers side and all passenger areas - front and rear). I did not have the windows open and it certainly isn't caused by rain (hasn't rained in almost a week). I used a carpet cleaner and extracted about 2 gallons of water. When I pressed on the carpet the water immediately came to the surface. I am letting the car ait out but needless to say I'm pretty concerned. I bought the car in Nov 2006 and have not had any issues like this in the past. I'm wondering if it could be caused by the air conditioning (particularly since I started using it more with the start of summer). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks - Sylvester
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    Either condensated water from the air conditionner, or a leak from the roof window ? On a humid day, after running the air conditionner for 10 minutes, park the car (leave it running) and see if water drips onto the pavement ; If not, the drain tube is clogged or not inserted through the floor.
  • greenguy2greenguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to lock the doors on a 2008 Camry Hybrid with the engine running? There are icy mornings that I need to heat up the car to clear the windows but I cannot figure out how to lock the doors so that no one drives off with it.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Set the emergency brake and take your FOB with you.

If anyone tries to abscond with yer car, it might slow them down enough to allow you to get out to the car and manhandle them out of the driver seat.

Even if they DO manage to steal it, they can never start it again.

And if you bought GAP insurance, you get a new car free and clear !!!

It's a Win-Win !!!
  • exvwdriverexvwdriver Member Posts: 3
    I've done it once or twice. It took some work; and the beeper didn't like it.

I think I locked all doors while inside the car; then opened the drivers door and locked it after exiting with the emergency key.

It was enough of a PIA that I only did it once or twice.

That brings up a question though.

Sometimes when I shut down the car and get out, the beeper goes off. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I can't determine what I'm doing different in the shutdown routine that makes the car scream at me, but it is annoying.

It starts when I open the door with the Car already shut down and stops after I lock the door.
    exvwdriver says, "Sometimes when I shut down the car and get out, the beeper goes off."

Do you mean the steady "beep-----------beep-----------beep--------------beep-------beep" error when stopping and exiting the car after pushing the power button to turn the car off?

That beep error happens when you open the driver door before the "shutdown" is complete. That beep will not happen if you make sure the power button has been pushed at least a second before you open the door.
  • brunnegdbrunnegd Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2009 TCH. I want to turn off the automatic door locks, but the manual only gives me two options, lock when shifting out of P, or at 12 mph. My last 5 cars either gave me instructions in the manual, or directed me to the dealer. My dealer for the TCH is not interested in working with me on this. Anyone have any information?
    I'm not surprised the dealer isn't interested in assisting you to disable a car's safety feature. Whatever your reason for wanting to do so, the dealer isn't going to expose itself to the potential liability. I'm not sure, but the automatic door lock function may now be legally required of manufacturers. If so, one more reason for your dealer's attitude.
  • brunnegdbrunnegd Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for the confusion. My question had nothing to do with the dealer, it had to do with my preferences for operating my car. Again, does anyone know how to disable the automatic door lock function? I don't consider this to be a safety feature, I can give several scenarios where this feature is a liability.
  • toyotainchtoyotainch Member Posts: 1
    The owner's manual for my 2009 Camry Hybrid contains instructions for doing this on page 52. Unfortunately they're not all that clear and I haven't tried them myself yet. But that's where you'll find them.
  • tommulloytommulloy Member Posts: 1
    Recently traded in a 2007 TCH on a 2011 TCH with all the toys (navi, leather, sunroof, wood-grain trim, etc.). My 2005 Avalon XLS' steering wheel had wood grain on the top and bottom, but I did not see this accessory as a dealer-installed option on the TCH.

Is it available on the after-market? Thanks.

Tom M (first time poster)
    Tom, check this site:

Wood Steering Wheel
This discussion has been closed.