Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum NAV System Questions

slam2slam2 Member Posts: 23
The Nav system is an $1800 additional cost. Is there anyone who can really justify the expense? I had wanted this but unfortunately wasn't able to get it into my order in time.

Slam2

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm considering it. I usually do the laptop thing, but built-in would be nice.

-mike
  • Options
    foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    Go to Circuit City and buy you a gps for much less money. That's a lot more practical. You really going to have to know you're going to get a lot of use out of a $1800.00 navigational system before spending that kind of money.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I already have a laptop computer that I can use if I want the portable option. I drive close to 40k miles a year so I know I'll use it. I'll be paying a premium for the luxury of just getting in the car w/o lugging another electronic piece out to the car with wires dangling to the cig lighter, etc....

-mike
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I thought I heard the built in Nav system had a nag screen that you had to acknowledge every time the radio was turned on, even if just playing music/Cds. Just that would be enough for me to bypass the built in system for a Garmin Street Pilot at half the price. Only one cord and it has "voice directions" as well.
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I agree having a built in navigation system is much "cleaner".

I preferred to go with a Garmin Street Pilot III for the cost ($500 +/- on Ebay) and the versatility.

We have 5 vehicles in our family group. The Garmin can be used by whoever has the need for a vacation trip or ?. A navigation system for us is a "nice to have" rather than a requirement such as a person in sales might require. If money were not a consideration then I suppose all 5 vehicles would have their own navigation systems as well as whatever other "toys" caught our fancy. I guess thats the problem with maintaining our own fleet. Maybe once the kids finish college and it is the wife and I again I won't have to be so practical. Maybe a 300C srt-8 convertible..........
  • Options
    beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    I just wanted to put a quick comment here about the Navigation system. I have one in my Acura CL-S and both my wife and I are convinced that we will never get another car (whether new or used) without one. It is probably the best new option around. People often look at it and think that it doesn't provide much else except for a handy map. Truth is, that isn't even the half of it. Having a Nav system means that if you need to pick up dinner on the way back home, you can get take-out from the nearest <insert type here> restaurant. If you want to find a particular place of interest such as a shopping center, parks, etc. the info is always right at your fingertips. Also, the added benefits of time/gas savings are a definite plus. No more taking directions to/from people's places... just plug in the address and you're off. Features such as "Today's destinations" let you plot the shortest route to get to several places during the day. The list literally goes on and on (it is also very handy for getting out of traffic jams). I don't know what system Dodge uses, but, to anyone looking at getting their own system put it, get an Alpine for sure. It is about 2 years ahead of the competition in terms of point of interest and general features. Of course the only downside is that you tend to rely on the system once you have it, and, occasionally, a place has gone out of business and is not where it is supposed to be. However, that has happened only two or three times in the 4 years I've used the system.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'm currently running this portable nav system in most of my vehicles: image

That's a couple models behind the latest/greatest, but it still functions as good as any OEM unit I've used. I have a mount installed in both of my travel vehicles so it just pops in/out real easy with no wires hanging around. It's nice because I can take it in any vehicle, or pop it in a rental when I'm flying somewhere. Certainly better bang-for-the-buck compared to some of the OEM units. The Magnum unit appears to be economically priced compared to some. The factory unit was a $3,000 option in my Audi and my wife was essentially required to get it in her Lexus. I prefer the Garmin over both of those systems and it's easier to keep updated. Just some FYI for anyone considering the pros/cons.
  • Options
    foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    That's a great picture. How much is it? I want one. Sebring95, you are a very economical individual. How does hook up exactly? Is it one cord to your lighter. Do you need to buy dvd-rom to keep the map updated?
  • Options
    Mine is well over a year old, the newest ones are a little bit different and more powerful. Looks like you can buy them for under $1,000 on ebay. I bought mine, plus two mount kits for under $1,000. Touch screen, has a USB connection for downloading updates, remote (i don't use it), voice commands if you want, 5 million points of interest, etc. It can be hard-wired with the mount kits, or use a cig lighter for mobile uses.

One thing I like better about the Garmin is if you go off-course, it automatically recalculates and gives you new directions. Both our factory systems tell you to make U-turns and my wifes GX470 once told her to "make an illegal u-turn"!! In addition, my Garmin has a lot more points of interest, or at least it seems to. In our small town, there's nothing listed in the Lexus system for restaurants and we live along a major highway and have tons of restaurants/gas stations. My Garmin lists them all, phone numbers, etc.

If the Magnum was my only vehicle, the factory system is probably a pretty good deal, but I haven't played with it either to know how well it works. One thing nice about the portable systems is resale value. Navigation adds very little to the resale value when you sell the car, but with the portable unit you can keep it for your next car.

It all comes down to what you like. I have several vehicles and like only having to learn one system, LOL! And it's really great for rentals. I'm leaving for Boston Thursday and my rental is supposed to have navigation, but I'm taking my Garmin since I know how it works and I can program my destinations on the plane.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yours looks great, and the recalculation of directions is a feature sadly lacking in many of the newer models. If you get some time, it would be most helpful if you'd post the info about your system in our Navigation Systems discussion so that others who may be shopping for an aftermarket system can see the info. You should get an ad referral fee from Garmin :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Actually, I was kidding above. The only reason I have the Garmin is for the sexy woman's voice telling me where to go! How's that for a sales pitch? LOL! "Turn left...." YES MAAM!
  • Options
    oldiemotorsoldiemotors Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to bypass the "Agreement" screen and enable the nav features that are disabled once the car starts moving?
  • Options
    sutndavesutndave Member Posts: 4
    Last nt my NAV system got lost. It was about 6 blocks from where I really was and kept recalculating. Turned it off and on several times with no change. Worked OK after I shut off the engine and restarted. Anyone else have this trouble? My warranty runs out today, but it won't reproduce.
  • Options
    coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    I know this is an old post but wanted to share my 2 cents. The GPS usually needs at least three satellites to fix your location within 100yds. Sometimes (rarely) you will get only 2 other times 4-6 sats to get a fix on. I have watched sats move away unexpectedly on my boat gps and momentarily loose my nav fix. Military needs? Other factors can upset the antenna reception. My factory unit has done this. My hand/dash mount unit is notorious for it because of the factory tinting in the auto glass. I understand the last of the gps sats will be launched soon so as to provide continuous global coverage. I hope your unit was fixed by warranty if needed. Anyone who says their portable gps is better than the factory is missing the big picture. A portable unit will not dial a phone number associated with an address. It cannot call 911 in an emergency. It can slide all over dash when it comes loose from the mount. It is a good target to get stolen. Their not covered by vehicle warranty or extended warranty as mine is. There are more features to a factory unit than a portable. The new touch screen (finally) is even better. It is now equal to Toyota, Ford ect that have been that (touchscreen) way for a couple years. :shades:
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I've had the car over two yrs, and it only happened that one time. Nothing to worry about, I guess.
  • Options
    ofchumpofchump Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody Know how to get the rear dvd player to play on the nav screen in the front. I heard there was some kind of hack for it but so far I have not found it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    magnumbelievermagnumbeliever Member Posts: 15
    I just purchased a 2005 Dodge Magnum R\T (yes, its a Hemi :) ) with a navigation system. Since it was a 2005, I ordered an upgrade DVD for the Navigation system. Does anyone know how to remove the current DVD from the Navigation system so I can install the upgrade DVD? I see the slot where the original navigation dvd goes, but I don't know how to remove it to install the upgrade. I've read the entire manual, but it does not give specific instructions for the installation. Anyone, help me, please?
  • Options
    There's a little hole under the DVD slot, on the left side as I recall. Just push a toothpick in there and it'll pop out. I think it's covered in the separate DVD manual, but long time since I've done it.
  • Options
    magnumbelievermagnumbeliever Member Posts: 15
    Hey sutndave, thank you. I am not sure if I ever got back to you. I know its been two month, no, almost three, but I did try what you said and it did work perfect. I was able to upload my upgraded Navigation DVD.

I could never did find a good explanation on how to upload my DVD in the separate DVD manual. It was really just too vague,

So your advice was just what I needed. It did sound a little strange with the tooth pick, but once I tried it, it worked perfectly. The little door slot opened, I pop the DVD in and WOW, no more getting lost. I had know idea it would be that easy. So once again, much thanks to you and sorry for the late gratitude.
  • Options
    ahorne1ahorne1 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,
    The joystick on my 2005 Dodge Magnum GPS just died. I found a place to repair it but I don't see how to get the bezel off around the unit. I found directions how to remove the unit but they start after the bezel is off. Anyone know how to do that?
    Thanks,
    Art
  • Options