Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Sounds like it might have to do with a heat shield. From what I remember of other posts, a wiring harness may be rattling against a heat shield or something, I don't recall exactly because I didn't personally have the problem. If that's what it is, people fixed it by ziptying(?) the harness out of the way. Hopefully, someone else will jump in with more conclusive info for you.
  • 2xterras2xterras Member Posts: 36
    Though I haven't experienced the problem, people have been complaining about a rattle that appears to be coming from the dash. However, the rattle is actually due to a loose cruise control cable in the engine compartment (if I remember correctly) and after zip-tying the cable, the rattle disappears. I suppose that during acceleration, the engine vibration could be causing this cable to rattle, causing you to hear the sounds you do. Trying tying this cable down to see if this fixes the problem. If not, I don't really know what else to tell you since you're the first I'm hearing of this type of rattle.
  • reddheddreddhedd Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. My 97 Jetty was stolen about 3 weeks ago, and now I am looking at new cars. I have always wanted an SUB, but I want a smallish one. I am accustomed to a V6, and I am in my car ALL THE TIME. Is there anything you can tell me, (good or bad) about the I? I really like it, but know nothing about SUB's and need a little guidance. Do any of you have the V6, and can you tell me anything about how it drives and if there are any major recurring problems with the vehicle at all? Thanks so much!
  • reddheddreddhedd Member Posts: 2
    I really don't spell like that! (Jetty = Jetta) (SUB = SUV) (I = X)
  • kampehkampeh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 4x2 SE 2000 5spd and while pulling up behind a car at a 4 way stop on the most icy/slippery roads yet the other day, I pressed the brake pedal but the truck did not respond...instead it made a thumping vibrate noise ...the combination of the car in front of me and no traction control, and the noise, was a bit of a scare and I released the brake and pressed it again...same thing happened. I was only doing about 5 MPH...luckily the car in front did not stop so I didn't have to and I slide over that slick spot with no problem, but my question is if the thumping is some kind of ABS feature or something...if I had not released the pedal would that thing have kicked in and grabbed some traction? Was the Xterra sensing that the tires had not traction? Do they do that?
  • xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    go for the X!!! and stop using spellcheck!! ;) anyway, the X is the first SUV i've owned, and i absolutely love it!! i think about 99.999999% of the X's are V6's..the V4 is almost unheard of. i picked up a 2001 XE in Just Blue w/ all 3 packages, and paid $23,300 for it. if you can get a deal like xrugger, we would all be jealous!!! by the way how the hell did you get an SE for $23,000???? actually, i had an offer to pick up a 2000 SE in black for $21,000, but passed it up. :(
    anyway getting back to reddhedd, try to stick w/ the manual, the auto is a little sluggish. go w/ the 3 packages if you opt for an XE over the SE. I myself got out of my VW Passat lease to get into the X, so i do know that there is a transition phase getting out of the VW and into the X. I miss my little computers inside, and especially the outside temp. readout. but little sacrifices i have to make to drive my baby!!! anyway, i hope i helped out and i know that many other ppl on the board will give you more advice. Good luck!!!
    should've gotten the 4x4!!! i had a similar thing happen to me...i was in 4WD and i had to jam the brakes, they did thump and studder, but that was the ABS. at least you didn't wreck your X!!!
  • likexterralikexterra Member Posts: 17
    Have you not played with your X and experienced the ABS in a non-emergency situation? The sound you describe is exactly what it should do. Go to an empty parking lot w/ snow/ice or after a rain and stomp (and hold) the brakes as hard as you can and see for yourself.
    As for the particular situation you described, don't expect ABS to stop you very well on ice. It's ice after all, and the ABS can't make it any less slippery. If there's no grip to be had, there's no benefit to ABS.

Brent
    Also, don't start pumping your brakes in those situations. Pumping brakes that are equiped with ABS can actually increase your stop time regardless of how slippery it is. Press down as hard as you can and let the ABS do the pumping. I'm sure the ABS is a lot faster at pumping the brakes than your foot, so let it do its job.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    When it comes to stopping, 4x4 and 4x2 will have little difference. ( yes, a 4x4 can help to pull and push you out of a tight situation.. if you know how ) Ice is ice. no traction is no traction, hit the brake and close your ears.. it sounds just like a a bunch of loose parts when the ABS is kicking in and the pedal shakes.. but remember, the benefit is still being able to steer around objects. I've kicked in my ABS a few too many times, realized its a factor of tires grip as well.. real winter tires are on its way. I myself wished Nissan developed a smoother system.. at least if the noise was dampened somehow.
    Car to Truck.. lifestyle will tell you which to buy, X is still a great truck, I think the rest has been said.
    Anyone with a new ( 1st time ) SUV should find that empty parking lot, not only for the brakes, but all general driving abilities. Brakes, higher center, new size, new seating position vs. a car, all add up as differences you will have to pick up on before you hit the real road.. on or off..
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Christmas Eve, with my in-laws... we get through all the presents except for one small box with my name on it... inside were the keys to my new X which my husband had bought without me knowing! :o) I won't make this long - just wanted to say I LOVE IT and let you guys know I finally have it! Reading everything here from you all really helped me out A LOT. Keep up the awesome advice and willingness to help.

Happy holidays!

Mindie
  • kampehkampeh Member Posts: 2
    That's very happy news Mindie.

I love my Bronze SE very much and never regret deciding on it one year ago and ordering it from CarOrder after lurking a bit here.

Thanks for the info on the ABS, I'm sure that was what I kicked in and it was surely the first time, now with 8,000 miles, I try to be gentle with it, nice suburban Mom that I am. I hope all this icy weather we are having and expecting is not going to lead to many injuries and damage to cars, especially those that are loved as much as mine is.
    congratulations to you mindie, you finally did it!! or should i say your husband did it!!! ;) anyway, good luck w/ your X and tell us what you got!!!
  • sidney6sidney6 Member Posts: 2
    The Xterra is a fabulous machine. I think that Nissan would do itself a favor by creating a product extension and marketing the Xterra to the more sophisticated buyer as well as Gen X. Some richer, deeper colors, leather/heated seats, automatic starters, etc. There would be a huge market for a luxury Xterra, in fact it would be anyone who would ever consider buying a Mitsubishi Montero. Let the X-ers have the more inexpensive interiors, but offer one with dramatic upgrades as well for everyone else. Toyota already does this with their no-frills $23,000 4-Runner vs. the loaded ones. X-terra should do the same. Any thoughts?
    Nissan already has such a vehicle. It's called the Pathfinder. Personally, I don't like the idea of messing with the simplistic Xterra image as it will surely lead to the death of the X as we know it as it will be influenced by the luxury hype that has plagued every other SUV on the market.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Ditto: There already are fancy Nissan SUV's:Pathfinder and QX4.
    Toyota has 5 SUVs. The 4runner will be more Xterra like with the Sequoia and the upcoming Camry based SUV takink the "luxury" image so the 4runner can be more sporty.
    Thank you to whoever contributed the rattling cable fix. That sound has driven me crazy for 18 months. It was twice on the lame dealer's to-do list too. Finally yesterday I fixed it in 5 seconds for 5 cents.
    Thanks!!
  • jackdotcomjackdotcom Member Posts: 5
    Can someone please explain to me the function of a rear wind deflector?The after market piece that sits above the rear window. Thanks.
    It changes airflow over the rear window and helps keep the window much cleaner without having to use the wiper. People who have them have reported that they work very well. The Nissan one requires drilling a couple of holes to install though.
  • xterricalxterrical Member Posts: 5
    I have a question for you folks: Today, I performed the 15k oil change on my X. Are all the steering parts, ball joints, etc sealed and do they not require lubrication? This is the 1st vehicle I have owned that doesn't have grease fittings for lubrication. I have looked all over and haven't found any fittings on the steering parts, drive shaft etc. Also, anyone know what intervals are recommended for changing the gear oil in the rear-end and transfer case on the 4x4? I can't find anything in the owner's manual. I put a K&N air filter in today and either I'm imagining things or my X seems to have a little more pep :) I just hope the MPG improves over time. Advance Auto has K&N filters on sale at 10% off, which is cheaper than buying them on-line. Thanks for any input regarding my questions.
    I've got the deflector on, it does work, found a big big difference, and my rear wiper is on semi retirement because of it. The GTS model looks good, but doesn't divert enough air, so its worth squat. The Nissan one is the charmer that works.
    I found a few things, it works best without the basket and front deflector ( my winter mode ), but still does the job with them on, the only difference I found was the bottom of the rear window gets a little misty/dirty at highway speeds when the basket/f. deflector is in place.

There aren't any lube points to the X, I looked for them myself.. old habits die hard
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    In case anyone else is interested, I ended up with a Silver automatic SE 4x4. Someone posted earlier that they prefer the manual because the auto felt sluggish, but I actually chose the auto because the manual felt sluggish! Different personal preference though, I guess. The 4x4 has already come in handy going up and down steep driveways in the snow and semi-ice here, so I'm glad we went with that. We're leaving today for our ski trip, and I love all the cargo room we have. One of these days I'll start adding on - starting with brush and light guards!

Thanks again to everyone for all the input you've given out!

Mindie
  • xterricalxterrical Member Posts: 5
    Thanks xcanuk. I was wondering if I was imagining things. My Dad used to have an '83 Nissan truck and it had plugs on the steering parts that could be removed and then screw in grease fittings, but I guess that isn't the case on the X b/c I can't find those either.
  • jackdotcomjackdotcom Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your comments Silverxglider and Xcanuk.The deflector seems like a good add-on considering the odd placement of the rear wiper control.The less I have to reach down for it while driving the better(the control that is).
    There are some nice pics of the deflector at xterraparts.com.. if you want to know what you are up against, I've got install pics in my album at yahoo.. ( Canadian models come without the u.s. template so its a bit harder to install )
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/x_canuk
    Yup, I can't figure out why they hid it almost under the dash instead of putting it where the hazard warning light switch is, for example. Seems to me I use the rear wiper a lot more often than the flashers and I hate having to grope around for the switch.
    i'm really thinking about getting personalized plates for my X, but i have NO idea what to get!!! anyone got any ideas?? if it helps, i have the Just Blue 4x4 and i'm really baffled...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. as to the wind deflector, i think it looks pretty bad. it sort of reminds me of a ford windstar for some strange reason...
  • tjbrownx2tjbrownx2 Member Posts: 8
    Hello my wife and I just closed the deal on our X and I have to say we were very dissapointed with the dealers inability to deal. So living near the Canadian border we called the closest Nissan dealer to us and with the exchange rate (@1.50:1)our deal started out $2,000(U.S.)lower than the closest US dealer! The dealer threw in the dash switch over and all paper work completed to cross the border. To say the least we are extremely happy and would recommend this to any one close enough to make it worthwhile.
    Any of you veterans got any experiences with add ons or after market stuff? How about any links to X sites?
    With the exchange, why more state side buyers haven't crossed the border. Just to add-on, we do have a selection of sucky dealers, but a few good ones.

If you want some good places.. ( for Nissan X parts ) try xterrastore.com and xterraparts.com. I've dealt with xterrastore, and very happy with them, and I even happened to meet the main great crazy guy that runs the site, ordered and received my parts in 2 days.. and that was across the border.

If you are looking for other stuff, try jcwhitney.com or overlander.com
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    We just had out first big snow storm and I couldnt wait to take my X out.....only problem, the driver's side wiper doesnt work! It wont move when I turn them on....I can move it by hand but thats it....anyone have any ideas??? thanks, Mike

ps I didnt turn it on until after the windshield was cleared.......
    It might sound obvious, but even with a cleared windshield, the blades can still be frozen in place. Did you lift up the blades off the window before trying the wipers?
    The motor rarely burns, ( or at least shows indications it will ), so I'd check out the fuses first, ( scratch that if the passenger wiper is working )
    Lift off the cap at the pivot point of the wiper, you should find a bolt.. make sure it is snug, there should be a little plastic gear with teeth, make sure it isn't stripped. With the blade off, try the wipers and see if there is any movement.
  • lks3lks3 Member Posts: 3
    I am SUV shopping, and in many ways, the X sounds like the perfect vehicle for me. I have yet to get out and drive them, but I wondered if the rear window opens. I track and show dogs, so this feature is very important to me. If a dog is uncrated, I can just reach in without risking someone jumping out. Does the rear window go up and down, or open outward? Thanks.
    The rear door, window and all, lift up in one piece. I'm in the same boat, and its the one thing I really miss from my old 4runner. ( you can't vent out the rear or access it without opening up the hatch )
    The one fix I found was to install anchor points on the rear sides of the cargo space and stretch a cargo net across, in effect, making an interior tail gate barrier. Not the strongest, but it works, I also use the basket net as a dog divider for the front.
  • lks3lks3 Member Posts: 3
    I have an explorer now, and it's my second. I hate to buy a third as I would like a change. The 4Runner is another I'm looking at. I guess I'll have to investigate the option of a makeshift gate. Thanks again. (And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who considers dogs when making car choices!)
  • cassiusatlcassiusatl Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2001 Xterra at (supposedly) $100 over invoice at $22300. I then had to pay sales tax 5% and I went ahead and purchased the 100,000 miles/60 months warranty also. Of course, I had to purchase such accessories as waterproof seat covers and floor mats. Basically, the price after accessories, services, and taxes was $24,0006. After the extended warranty was $25,266. Be honest and don't hold back people. I can handle the truth.
    Thanks.
    it sounds like you are in the ballpark based on the research I did prior to jumping borders and buying ours, alot depends on packages did you get a 1,2,3 package XE or an SE. I have not heard alot of good things about the extended warrenty though, some insider friends told me they are about 2-3x marked up.

Oh yeah our 2 dalmations were a huge consideration in our choice.Also wished for a lift glass.
    May the best of 2000 be the worst of 2001, but then again, we all have X's and starting off ahead of the rest.

I don't follow U.S. prices, but other price factors are 4x4 and tranny. X-tended warranty, go check out xterrastore, Steve Fisk usually has the lowest and best price for it, you can always switch and recoup the difference.

To other 4 legged owners, nifty feature in the X, the rubber inserts to the console cupholdes can work as an on the road water bowl. Don't know if anyone has smart dogs, but I have to lock the rear windows now, ( that extra button on the drivers side door ).. my boys have figured out where to put their paw to open the rear side windows. Cargo nets make great dividers, and when the seats are down, watch the created empty space between the 2 head rests of the back seats. ( leg trap )
    Why do so many people ask how much they should have paid after it's too late?
    Seems like it might be better to do homework before rather than after the sale.

Maybe I'm just funny like that.
    Thanks for the input. I feel better already. :)I did take the time and checked out online auto purchase sites such as Autovantage.com, carsdirect.com, autodirect.com, and several others. I also checked this site Edmunds, and CarbuyingTips.com. I'm pretty sure I was in the ballpark, but it's always nice to hear what others have to say. I don't feel like I got a bad deal, but no matter what deal I get from a dealership, I always have that little voice(conscience?) telling me I could have done better. Of course, I suppose they have to make a living too. :p

p.s. I LOVE my Xterra. My neighbor is funny. He calls it an Etcetera.
    It's hard to comment on the deal on your Xterra.
    You left out about $5000 worth of variables.
    V6? ($2000) Automatic?($1000) 4x4? ($2000) SE? ($1000) other options? (?$?)
    V6, automatic, Xe, 2wheel drive, power, utility, and sport packages, other accessories include seat covers, and xtended warranty. Hope that helps. I feel my consumption urge fulfilled for now!
  • mstexasxmstexasx Member Posts: 3
    I hate to say this, but I actually saw an Xterra the other day that was not too appealing to the eye. My husband and I were driving through Arlington on Route 1 and saw a yellow X that was lowered to the ground with those small tires that that hang out the sides. Sad to say this, but honestly...that was an ugly X.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    One can only hope that it will be totaled soon...
    No doubt.. it was probably a 4x4 as well
  • bigbill2bigbill2 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone refresh my memory. I remember a discussion concerning a roof net that can be placed on the top of an Xterra. Over the holiday I took my Xterra on it's first extended trip. I used the cargo area on top to hold bags, but would have loved to use the extra area on top (behind the cargo area). I did not want to scratch the paint and was looking for an after market net that could be tied across the roof rack to protect the roof of the SUV. Does anyone know of a net or other protective device to place across the roof rack for protection. Thanks.
    Someone sells rubber strips that stick to the roof ridges under the rack.
    I don't know who has 'em though.
    I'm assuming you are refering to the rest of the rack behind the basket. You have 2 basic options,
    1)is a safari rack, basically a second larger basket tied to the cross bars, then you have to also get the net to hold things in place. Great if you plan to travel alot.
    2) The other way to do is to get the cargo/roof strips, basically body side molding for the roof., pack everything between the crossbars and side rails, won't scratch the roof, cargo net still needed.
    All of the above can be found at xterraparts.com
    I guess we lost the feature to see posts that sneak in before ours.. sorry to repeat what gonzo said..
  • guinness247guinness247 Member Posts: 7
    I will hopefully be getting an X in a few weeks. I have a 98 Amigo right now and have the worst
    trouble with seeing out the back and because of that I have a real hard time backing it up. Can anyone tell me if the X is the same way?