Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• Options
    silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    No, Glad Wrap is what helps mileage. I have it wrapped tightly over the entire truck, it greatly reduces wind resistance. I also only drive at night when the pavement is cooler.

Seriously, I do about 90% two-lane highway/rural road driving, about 10% city/no rush hour. Because of the kinds of roads, I don't have much opportunity to exceed 55-60mph and I was never a speed demon anyway. Also, I keep my BFG Long Trails at about 30 psi. I tend to shift at the speeds recommended in the owner's manual. I was must say I was pleasantly surprised to get this kind of mileage.
  • Options
    haldudehaldude Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for revealing that the man from glad gave you a great new use for that stuff!

Actually, we all appreciate knowing that we don't have to feel like wierdos for not getting such awesome mileage.

Speed plays a huge key. Drag increases by the square of the increase in speed. So, if you go 60 instead of 50, that is a 44% increase in drag.
    (1.2 x 1.2). With these X's having a less than sleek profile, aerodynamics are going to be a big factor in the mileage situation.

Thought I'd share some practical math that us airplane pilots have to know about.

See ya'
  • Options
    shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    the vibration in mine seems to have gotten worse as well. It's annoying and I guess I will have to take mine in as well. Please let me know the problem if they find out. Thanks!
  • Options
    xsexse Member Posts: 66
    here are sure fire tips to get your mileage up:

1. replace your air filter with a spagetti strainer
    2. put a block of wood behind the gas pedal so you can only push it down 1/4 way.
    3. replace your wheels with motorcycle wheels/tires
    4. pump them up to 60psi
    5. take out all the seats and replace them with lightweight aluminum lawn chairs
    6. take out all the windows and replace them with saran wrap- duct tape to body
    7. get a clamp and squeeze off the feul line so only a trickle gets thru
    8. tape up all gaps, part lines, openings so your x is one smooth form.
  • Options
    Great tips, XSE!

However, here is my plan. I am going to buy a house at the top of a mountain. I will coast to the bottom and take the ski lift back up at the end of the day.

With the money I save on gas, I'll put a 300 cd changer in the engine compartment since I won't need the '6 anymore. A 5hp briggs and stratton will work fine.

I'm out'a here. I promise, my next posting will be serious...
  • Options
    xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    If you use the new cling on Saran wrap, you can forgo the duct tape, plus they come tinted.. check state laws first. I've heard you can't remove the wrap from the sunroof with the basket in place though.

Silly Putty works for the smooth shape as well, unless you have kids..( they always want to make spegetti out of it )
  • Options
    gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Don't forget- You'll need some zip ties to hold on the saran wrap.
    Should I use the silver or the black?
  • Options
    chewing gum works.. and it works for an emergency patch kit for the motocycle wheels, or that road side meal since the X will be rolling so slow in rush hour.

Don't you still have those seats from the Lada ??
  • Options
    I am impressed with this group's wit and sense of humor. ( Not to mention their great choice in automobiles! )
  • Options
    I finally realized that that bulge on the tailgate is a perfect place to carry my bag of zip ties.
    I decided to use the black ones since my X is Solar Yellow.
    Did I pay too much?
  • Options
    xterricalxterrical Member Posts: 5
    shocker3 - about your post, several people, myself included, have had this vibration problem. I saw a post on here with a cheap solution that saved my sanity. On the top of the motor, near the firewall, the cruise control cable rests in a rectangular, plastic bracket. You can take a zip tie and secure the cruise control cable snuggly against the bracket to stop this ever-annoying rattle. There are actually 3 points where the cruise control cable rests in the over-sized brackets. I zip tied all 3 for good measure and my problem was solved. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    spazmodespazmode Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of getting an Xterra, but I have a concern. I live in the city, and I wonder if the Xterra is a target for vandals? Does it stick out too much, making it a for holligans who like to wreck your stuff if they think you have somehthing nice? I have an old Nissan Sentra Se and I really like it. Great for the narrow streets with little/no parking. But it's getting really beat and time for a new ride. Love the look of the Xtera.
    Maybe whatever new car you get there are jerks who will mess it up for you if you live in the city, but to me the xterra seems like it's hard not to notice! (OK, I admit it. I think I want a yellow one.)
    What do you all think, am I being paranoid?
  • Options
    Even a blind person can't miss a Solar Yellow X!
    (The yellow paint actually radiates more heat and light than it receives from the sun)

You should see the last page of Car and Driver this month. It offers humorous suggestions on how to make a new car have a "patina"
    You can get one whitewall applique', Removable bondo is good, replace your antenna with a coat hanger, maybe attach the grille with velcro so you can remove it when "slumming", perhaps a paint-on rust will give it a aged look.
  • Options
    It really doesn't matter what you drive, if someone wants to be an [non-permissible content removed], they will be, no matter how old/new small/big your car/truck is. A nice ride used to be > you admired it from a distance, cupped your hands to look inside, and walk away. Now, they rather twist your antenna and key it.. go figure.
    The X is taller, but not really larger than most cars/trucks, you can still get it into tight spots, plus it gives you the option for the last snow bank parking spot.
  • Options
    shimjlshimjl Member Posts: 1
    i just got a new nissan xterra xe and when i fill the tank my gauge reads 3/4 full. my dealer says this is common in nissans. is this a joke? can this be fixed? does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    Read back about 2 weeks worth of posts on this thread.. the answers are there.
  • Options
    mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Start at #327. I posted it a couple days ago because I have the same problem.

Mindie
  • Options
    It really doesn't seem to matter what it is. For a while, in NYC I had a 1981 Datsun 210. It looked like garbage, with bolts, chains and padlocks holding the hood and trunk down because the locks had been trashed by bums and creeps on the street. They still busted out a rear window (which I replaced with plexiglass and duct tape)and slashed all four tires. The liberating thing about it was that I didn't much care either. Parking space too small? So what? Crash and bash the other heaps on either side.

Of course, with my X, I wouldn't dream of parking on the street if I go to NYC, I cringe if I even have to put it in a parking lot, I look it over carefully ever time I get in it, feel for scratches, dents, bumps, get upset if someone parks too close, etc. But having said all that, there are lots of other nice, more expensive cars and SUVs to trash if someone wanted to.
  • Options
    tjbrownx2tjbrownx2 Member Posts: 8
    Just curious if any of you that had the vibration had it cured yet. I had a similar problem with my non X and it turned out to be plug wires, canged them blew anouther set in 3 weeks then upgaded to Bosch wires and problem solved.
    Oh-yea I cant get my Honda Shadow rims to mount - up for that motorcycle tire fix any help? Whose got the best price on ty-wraps?
  • Options
    shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info. Were you having the same type of vibration problems as myself and a couple other owners? I have a feeling the vibration may be something mechanical. The vibration occurs when the RPM's drop and the tranny is in "D" and you're at a standstill. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Thanks
  • Options
    Haven't exactly been following this vibe thread. Almost a year ago, I was wondering about the same vibration thing, except we were calling it an engine flutter or bubble.. when at a stop. ( more than likely because it was the only time we could hear it ) Can't remember any real vibration. though. Funny, it has gone away on its own, along with other little noises we found strange.. like the reverse-forward (abs?) clunk, the hub unlock click. I guess my X is maturing.
  • Options
    molsen2064molsen2064 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody here do some real driving in their "X"?

my concern is the 170 hp V6 engine - sounds a bit week... what have been your experiences?

I'm looking to buy an SUV, and have looked at the Cherokee, Escape and the XTerra... most certainly like the XTerra for looks, features, etc., but the small V6 concerns me.

the Escape couldn't handle the off-road, and the Cherokee is cramped, but has decent power...

nayone know of any news to boost the HP in the X?
  • Options
    Everyone will look for more.. but so far, I haven't missed any. ( OK.. the X isn't a pocket rocket ) My milage isn't way up there, but then again, my commute is only 5 minutes. I do run around the city on days, if I want to pass someone, I do, if I want to cruise on the highway.. it does. If I stomp on it.. it goes. Sometimes the HP numbers don't explain everything.
    I just picked up a K&N filter.. more HP ?.. who knows.. I figure I'll save in the long run. If you can get the X to breath easier, the ponies should follow.. maybe an exhaust swap would help.
  • Options
    pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to get back to you so slowly but I haven't
    been reading the posts as frequently as I used to.
    I saw several R/Cs at the Target in Skokie (on
    Howard St.) If that's not near you, they would
    probably send it to your friendly neighborhood Target Store. By the way, my Xterra buddies, I
    think I will FINALLY purchase my X this month.
    Thanks for all the helpful tips and comments, I
    can't wait to be a full-fledged member! (I'm thinking... goldrush )
  • Options
    xcellenttrkxcellenttrk Member Posts: 61
    i put in the K&N filter last week, and immediately found a difference!!! it definately feels like 5 or 10 more horsepower!! it might just be me, or the fact that i just put in a tank of Sunoco 94, but it definately has more pick up!! by the way, i had my EC Mirror installed yesterday and it is awesome!!! the guy only charged me $50 to install it, but said it was a pain in the butt!!!

on another note, has anyone but me heard a squeel from the drivers side front end when the window is open a few inches?? it seems to be intermittent, and only when i'm doing 65-80mph (yes, my X goes 80, sometimes 85, but only when i kick the nitrous on!! ;) i don't know if i should take it back to the dealer or not, but let me know if any of you have experienced it...
  • Options
    spazmodespazmode Member Posts: 2
    " really doesn't seem to matter what it is. For a while, in NYC I had a 1981 Datsun
    210. It looked like garbage, with bolts, chains and padlocks holding the hood and
    trunk down because the locks had been trashed by bums and creeps on the street.
    They still busted out a rear window (which I replaced with plexiglass and duct
    tape)and slashed all four tires."

Yeah, that's the stuff I'm talking about. The local hoodlums don't seem to trash old beaters like mine around here. But they do like to "key" nice new cars parked in the street. And you don't want to leave anything tempting left inside in plain sight.

"The liberating thing about it was that I didn't much care either. Parking space too small? So what? Crash and bash the other heaps on either side."

Ha-ha! Yeah! You should see my bumpers- or what's left of 'em. We do play nice with cars we recognize, the on's with parking stickers that belong here. But we get a lot of tourists in this area, and there bumpers get a real workout. The locals don't like tourists around here. But sooner or later your bumper will get mangled if you park here a lot. Not worried about the bumpers on the Xterra if I get one, (and I really do want one), and besides I could always install some of those mean looking bumper guards- front and rear! Might even the score a bit.

What I'm worried about is the xterra really stands out. Catches your eye, hey it caught mine. And they are talking on one of the other message boards about Xterras getting trashed. A guy even put a picture of his smashed window.

http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb428752&MyNum=979314232&P=Yes&TL=979271443

Ugh. Not what I wanted to see. Still, maybe if I just don't get a yellow one!
  • Options
    deug1deug1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new user to this board, so I appologise if this has been discussed. I searched through most of the records and couldn't find anything. I have a 2000 Xterra with a Oil Cap that won't stay on. I took it back to a dealer and they order a new oil cap, but same problem. Now they want to swap the valve cover. I find it hard to believe that mine is the only X with this problem. Anyone heard of this situation.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
  • Options
    A few owners have lost their caps and the replacement caps.. some have gone to the extent of using a small chain to it. I guess you can use a zip tie. :) ( I have to stock up on them again ) I'm even into the habit of checking for mine shortly after each oil change.
    I also heard recently about the valve cover having to be replaced.. a fix I don't quite understand yet, but it was the fix one dealer came up with for one owner. ( that I know of )
  • Options
    tjbrownx2tjbrownx2 Member Posts: 8
    Are you having vibrations or rattles? As I said this was not on my X but I had front end vibrations at idle and at speed serious enough that I replaced alot of front end parts prior to throwing my hands up(and alot of tools around the garage)and calling the service manager at the local Dodge dealer he told me that my car(95 intrepid) with the 3.5l engine has a bad habit of going through plug wires. But what you describe as your vibrations sound very similar I have heard from older nissan truck owners about trashing stock hubs for warn. but that was 10 years ago I hope their better now. Hope that you solve your problem soon,please let us know.
  • Options
    marlbmamarlbma Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to this board and am considering a basic Xterra with 4cyl. engine. I do live in the Northeast and am wondering what other owners experiences are with the 4x2 in snow. I'm not looking to do any off-roading, but gotta deal with the variable weather! Any info/experiences will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
  • Options
    I too, considered the 4 cylinder but the salespeople really discouraged it. As I thought about how few actually order the 4, I realized that if I ever wanted to resell the thing, I probably would have a major problem on my hands.

Now, having driven one with a 6 in it, I definitely say I would have made a mistake. I'm not griping about the power the V6 delivers, but with a 4 cylinder, I probably would be..

There ya go...!

Hey xcanuk, think the group should order zippy ties in bulk, say 500,000 at a time and get a major discount? We could probably get them in colors to match our X's with a big ' X ' stamped on them to boot. What do you think?? When I start pulling my boat, I think I'll use zip ties as secondary safety chains. \_/

Later gaters
  • Options
    Answer: Duct Tape.. Zip Ties.. and a swiss army knife..

Question: Name 3 things you always need in an X.

I just picked up another load of zip ties.. all sizes.. all colors.. think I'm going to color code all the fixes and mods.
  • Options
    low3low3 Member Posts: 2
    I got a chance to ride along with a friend who drives for DC. on a test of the Jeep Liberty. We ran it in northern Michigan recently, during some snow and off road trials.As an Xterra Owner, I must admit that this thing is going to be very very serious competition for the X, if it is prices where they say it will be. It is slightly smaller, but very roomy, and the interior is great. Highway ride is better(I think because the rear axle is coil sprung, not leafs, and off road, well, all I can say is that it was stunning. I have always been a fan of the old school solid axle for serious trail work, but bought the X because it offers very good off road, with better on road(for the giirl friend who complained about my old bronco!) In a very short time, the Liberty made a believer out of me as to Jeeps new IFs system. Hate to say it, but after riding in the Jeep, I wish I had waited. It is just that good.BTW. I am having some paint problems along the edge the drivers side door. Lots of bubbling and some peeling. It is a 2000, solar yellow. Paint is peeling all along the lower edge, and bublbubblingthe side. Already had it fixed once, but now it is doing it again. We have had tons of snow here this year, and I am worried it may be the salt. Any Ideas?
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Wait till the Liberty gets a few miles under it's belt and the patented DC/Jeep self-destruct mode activates. My 1993 Pathfinder SE has 121,000 miles on the clock and is still tight and rattle-free. Find a 1993 Jeep you can say that about- even when it was new. If I were you, I would not enjoy serving as a beta tester for a domestic automaker.
  • Options
    Hey low3, not so fast to think you made a mistake. Jeep has had lots and lots of maintainence and reliability problems. Give it a while and you'll probably be seeing a number of Jeep skeletons on the sides of the roads..

As far as your paint peeling, have you tried zip tying the paint back to the metal? Actually, that's not a laughing matter. I think with the car that new, you should have no problem getting it fixed once and for all. Just don't take no for an answer.

I like xcanuks 'three things needed for an X ' Makes me think about the brochure that said the X eliminated the need for the Swiss army knife. This is probably not quite true. I think the X just created the need for a Swiss Army ' TTURDD ' That stands for Three Totally Useful Repair and Deliverance Devices '

Hey, can we get into trouble if this humor is not widely appreciated? Might get X'ed out of here, huh?
  • Options
    Hey low3, me again. You know, since your X is Solar Yellow, I believe there is a special clause in the Lemon Law that gives you especially good redress against the manufacturer. Check it out!
  • Options
    I'm in the Northeast also and I would not recommend a 4x2 if you're going to do any significant driving in snow. Even with the limited slip, the X is only as good (or bad) as any other very heavy 2wd vehicle in snow. That is, not so great, IMHO. I would already have been stopped dead in my tracks without 4WD and in fact, I just put some Bridgestone Winter Duelers on to get whatever traction advantage I can.

As far as the 4 cyl. is concerned, I agree with the other comments above. I think resale might be a real problem with both a 4 cyl and 2wd.
  • Options
    Which size duelers did you end up with ? I'm still happy I made the switch.. the X was good last winter.. now its excellent.

BTW.. a little heads up.. the battery is sitting in a plastic tray which doesn't have any drain holes, mine was sitting in 1/4" of water from road spray I guess. Might be worth it to pull the battery and drill a few holes into the tray. In my case, there was a little calcium building up because of the salt from the roads.
  • Options
    low3low3 Member Posts: 2
    Oh, I don't think I made a mistake(besides the paint, at least), but It would have been nice to compare. I base my thoughts purely from a performance stantpoint, not any reliability issues. In truth, while we may not want to admit it, reliability is a different issue than durability, which is rearely a rarely a problem even in the least "reliable" vehicle. Even in the least average reliable vehicles, the indiivdual has a low average chance of running into any major problems. Jeeps have indeed a poor reputation when it comes to the fit and finish, yet, they are tough as nails on the big things, like drivetrain, 4x4 system, durability. I guess that is where it counts in my book, not if a squeak or two pops up, or the heater stops working(well, this winter, that may be a problem). My last vehicle was an original bronco, had it for 3 years, no problems. I have also owned 2 jeep Cherokees, again, no durability problems in over 100,000 miles on both. All 3 were domestic, and rock solid in the sticks, yet, were attrocious when it came to the little things like rattles, squeaks, and having the heaters quit after a few thousand miles. The new Jeep just felt very different, tighter, more refined even than the X, and unless they screwed up something major will be a big player in the market.
  • Options
    I think I found a way for Spaz to have a Solar Yellow Xterra in the City while still keeping a low profile:

Buy removable "Taxi" stickers
  • Options
    does that mean he has to get the neoprene "beaded" seat covers as well ?
  • Options
    srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,

I must say, there is a very different tone when reading the posts here than in the Montero Sport area...seems everyone here pretty much is happy about their Xterra...can not say the same for the Sports...I've been looking to replace my 94 Pathfinder for awhile now, partly due to crash test results given we now have a yng child and plus, hell, it's been 6+ years. It's been great but I don't want to drop another $30K+. I saw a couple used 2000 Xterra at the Nissan dealer and it was the first time I really thought about getting one...There all about $20K with about 30K miles...does that sound like a decent deal? How do you guys really like your Xterras? I really wont be going off road that much, does the ride on highway suffer much compared to others?

I've considered a Tribute of Santa Fe but I hate to jump into that unproven reliablility...

Thanks
    S
  • Options
    staridestaride Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all your posts. They helped me make my decision and I haven't regretted it once. If anyone wants to purchase an X in Florida, I recommend Firkins Nissan in Bradenton. I purchased my 2001 Nissan (SE) Alpine green, over the phone based on internet quotes. It came with the automatic dimming mirror, (love it) flaps and the a/c filter. My price was $23,700 which was 1.5% above the invoice including the add-ons. They also delivered it to the house, which was cool. I have to fight my husband to even drive it, now he thinks its "his". I haven't let the dogs in it just yet, they'll want to drive it too! Anyway, if you are thinking about purchasing one of these trucks, go for it!
  • Options
    srushing- Do you like your Pathfinder?
    The 94 Path was based on the "hardbody" style Nissan pickup. Then the hardbody became the Frontier. The Xterra is a Frontier SUV Thus= mechanically, the Xterra is the same as your Pathfinder. Same frame, engine and most of the mechanical bits. The crash ratings are OK- a bit better than most of it's competition but not as good as the BMW or Mercedes
  • Options
    Tires - I got the P265/75/R15s for the X and the other vehicle in the house ('01 Frontier Crew Cab) got 265/75/16s. Fortunately, I only had to pay for the tires for the X. They came to just over $500 mounted and spin balanced but I'm sure it will have been worth it. When we busted a taillight on the CC the other week sliding backwards down the driveway in the snow, the taillight alone cost $135 to replace. So bring on the snow!

Much to my surprise though, I had to trim the front mudflaps on the X because the tires were rubbing at full lock. Thanks to posts on this and other boards about going to bigger tires, I knew exactly what was causing the awful grinding noise so I didn't panic, just went home and got out the grinder. :-)

srushing, I don't offroad either, just some dirt roads and springtime mud, but I think the X rides very well on the highway and on rural roads. The steering is very tight and responsive and the ride is not overly trucklike IMO. A friend of mine had an '88 Pathfinder and I thought that ride was much rougher.
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised you had to trim, but I'm no tire expert on the sizes. My stupid Q is did you get winter rims as well, or just the tires ? A slightly different offset, even with the originals would cause rubbing. But at least you knew.. and knowing is half the battle.
  • Options
    after driving over the weekend, and using my EC mirror (which i LOVE btw), i've noticed one thing that really irks me. it seems to me that the objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear...just kidding...really though, it seems that the lights are showing up like i'm seeing double...anyone have this problem?? let me know...
  • Options
    Less Vodka.. more coffee.
    This might be too simple.. ( I can't remember if the mirror has auto-dimming ) But you have a lever under the mirror to flip for day & night driving.. if it is flipped to night, you will see a ghost image. Try flipping it and re adjusting the mirror.
    If that doesn't work, drink enough Vodka until you see triple, and pick the image in the middle ( next to the pink elephant )
    Or learn to drive the European way.. whatsa behind you don't matter.
  • Options
    I ended up going to a local tire shop that had the winter duelers in stock. I had them mounted on the rims on the truck. I'll put the Long trails back on in the spring. Ideally, I'll find a set of used stock rims so I can have both sets of tires permanently mounted and change them myself. I was going to buy a set off someone from the xoc board but he just e-mailed me to say he sold them to someone else. :-(

I guess the 265/75s were just enough wider than stock, or maybe the shoulders are more square, causing the rubbing. Or, who knows, maybe my torsion bars are out of spec. No rubbing now though.
  • Options
    no problem...i'm marrying into a russian family, so the vodka is not a problem...it does have auto dimming, and even when i turn it off i still see double...maybe i've been drinking too much vodka, or beer in celebration of my New York Football Giants 41-0 victory yesterday!!! go Big Blue!!!