Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Rattles and Noises

leftfield1leftfield1 Member Posts: 8
Been driving a TSX for two months now. Have noticed an annoying rattle coming from the passenger door area. I cannot pinpoint the exact source of the noise, but when I roll the window down even a crack, the rattle ceases. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas of what is causing this? For a new car that otherwise has a solid feel, I find this quite annoying.

Comments

• ebeneben Member Posts: 26
    I replied earlier, but broke a forum rule by referencing another auto forum; my bad. Other owners in that forum found that "dyna-matting" (sp?) inside the doors was effective. However, many may not be comfortable taking door panels off to install. Surely you're still under warranty, so I'd bring it to your dealer's attention.
  • leftfield1leftfield1 Member Posts: 8
    Well, well... the folks at my neighborhood Acura dealership are having trouble isolating the rattle eminating from my front, passenger door when I go roll over any type of rough road, when a string bass plays on my stereo, or when a bus, 18-wheeler, or even diesel truck rolls by me. They can reproduce the rattle, but are unable to find anything to correct it.

What is the best manner to contact Acura to start a "case" on this? I have a feeling mine won't be the only TSX who drops by the service department to have this fixed.
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    I went to the Acura website and selected "About Acura" and "Customer Services". Among other information, I found:
    BY PHONE
    Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238

BY FAX
    (310) 783-3535

BY MAIL
    Acura Client Services
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Call them and tell them that you have a problem with your new Acura that the Dealer has not solved and you want to start a case. If they can't or won't help you, tell them that since neither the Dealer nor the manufacturer can help you, you are going to your State Attorney General's office with the problem. (Hopefully you don't have to get this nasty.)

The other way I have been able to find out how to start a case is by calling the dealer and asking to speak with the regional manager. They'll either give you a contact, or tell you that it is against their policy - in which case they will give you the correct contact at Acura for starting a case. Good luck.
  • longball1longball1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone every experienced a creaking noise when they turn right or left? Besides the creaking noise, I am very happy with the car.

I had it in for service and the dealer replaced the front damper; however, the noise is still there.

Any thoughts??
  • kimbo5kimbo5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi leftfield1: be sure to have the dealer "insulate" the door panel. I had the same problem, and it is caused by something to do with the airbag...I am hoping this insulation does not interfere with safety, but this seems to have solved the rattle.
  • tsostsos Member Posts: 2
    Japan has got to know about the rattles by now. Stands to reason that if there's an easy fix at production time, they would have started to implement it.

This may be a bit of wishful thinking on my part, as my order for a MS/6sp/NN (v. hard to find for some reason) isn't scheduled for delivery until Dec.

So, is there any evidence that the rattles are worse in the early production cars, and have gotten better over time?
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    and it has zero rattles. I had the slight buzz in the pass. door that everybody complains about (only heard it when the stereo was blasting and the bass was high). But, the dealer fixed that very quickly.

Also, the fault tolerances are ridiculously low (seams are very tight) so that the gasket on the sunroof shade is close to the window. For a while, when I went over bumps, I could hear the sunroof shade creak. I fixed that with a little silcone spray.

Now, the vehicle is 100% rattle free and solid as hell.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    How many of you TSX owners have problems with rattles in the front doors when you drive over certain types of pavement or when you have the sound system turned up?

I recently bought the Lord of the Rings soundtrack and the door panels rattle and vibrate excessively at moderate volume levels (20-30) on some bass-heavy tracks. Some AM talk radio programs also cause door-panel rattles. It's quite annoying.

I am hoping to have this problem investigated and fixed by the dealer, and I was just curious to see if anyone else has had similar issues.
  • tommyijrtommyijr Member Posts: 56
    I bought my TSX in early August, there were a few rattles in the doors around the speakers but over time they have just deminished, they are non-existant. The weather has turned colder here out East and I have noticed that while it is warming up it rattles some, but after a few minutes it is a dream, I love it.......
  • typeetypee Member Posts: 11
    We have had our TSX for just 3,000 miles, and are pleased with it. Prior car was '95 Accord sedan, and objective for us with new car is always increase in quality, performance, safety and fuel economy. Thus far, the TSX fits the bill.

Only issue thus far is rattle from RF passenger door, which appeared shortly after delivery. We are living with it for the time being, hoping that when we take the car in for a fix that the dealer will know exactly what to do to resolve.

Any other comments out there from TSX owners on their door rattle experiences and dealer responses?
  • normanjnormanj Member Posts: 10
    My TSX has 2,500 miles and I have a rattle in the right passanger door, sunroof, and a creak comming from the dashboard when going over bumps. The creak has just showed up about 1 week ago and has been getting worse.
    My TSX is at the dealer right now for some relatively minor issues (power seat grinds when moving forward and back, and the armrest bin slides too easily). When I spoke with the service advisor at my dealership about the door panel rattles, he told me that it was a known problem and that Acura (Corp) is trying to figure out how to fix it. This dealer had already tried to resolve the problem on other customers' cars on their own accord, but had no success; so they're waiting for advice from corporate and are not attempting to repair cars with rattles until they get the "word from above".

I was told to check back in a month or two to see if a solution has been found. Until then I am forced to deal with buzzy, rattling, vibrating door panels when I listen to the radio! I sure hope they find a solution soon!

(BTW, my build # is 4614, and I have 5400 miles so far.)
    My wife just permitted me to drive her car for the purposes of further identifying the door "rattle" she says is driving her crazy. I would describe it as more of a high-pitched buzz. It is not continuous, and not apparently related to the stereo being on or off. It is irritating.

I called the dealer after my last post. A very informed service advisor told me that they would be pleased to tackle it now, or I could wait until an advisory comes out, which they expect soon. He stated that Acura is well aware of the problem, and will have a "fix" for it available shortly.

Other than the noise in the door, what a great car. Very solid, quiet on the road, responsive, comfortable and economical. Thus far, gas mileage averages 1.5 mpg better than our prior vehicle, a much-loved 1995 Accord 4 cylinder automatic. I still wish it ran on 87 octane, but I knew that going in. No regrets about the purchase.

Is my description of the door noise consistent with what others are experiencing?
    Your description is consistent with what I hear. The "buzzing" occurs when the sound system is turned up, using high bass (+4) and when certain music tracks are bass-heavy. It also occurs on certain types of road surfaces (esp when the asphalt surface is coarse, such as when it's scraped prior to resurfacing).

I went so far as to write down which CD tracks and what stereo settings produce the problem so I would not be told "could not reproduce" by my dealer.
  • pixmanpixman Member Posts: 3
    I have had the TSX for about a month. The car doesn't like the cold temperatures. When it is cold in the mornings, there is a popping or creaking in the passenger side dash against the windshield. It makes a noise on every slight bump. BUT...when the weather is warm, the creak goes away. Nothing seems to help. The car feels solid but this is not something I am going to live with. I'll try the dealer next. Am I expecting too much?
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    Right on Pixman. 80 degrees driving home on sunny day--no noise. 40 degree cold morning--Sounds like a ghost, rck, bzz, pop. 03 Accord had no such woes.
    1. Windshield pop/creak in cold weather very universal
    2. RF speaker buzz seems universal.
    Universal to me means very common not 100%
    Decided not to wait for the Acura engineers to come up with an "approved" fix for the right door buzz discussed above, as it was quite annoying. Local Acura dealer technician diagnosed and resolved in one hour. Two days of driving on all road surfaces, and my sensitive-eared spouse reports no buzz.
    My Acura dealer was able to resolve it very easily.
  • tnguyen74tnguyen74 Member Posts: 65
    I own an 03 Accord with a "J" VIN number that I beleive is experiencing the same problem what is described above. I wonder if the "J" Accords are manufactured in the same plant as the TSX's. My Accord get's the buzzing noise at 50-60 mph. I've brought the car back to the dealer more than 4 times already and they can't find a solution. I wonder if these are the same issues.
    I doubt that the problems would be attributed to one plant, the Accord is manufactured in North America while the TSX is 100% made in Japan.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Every single 4-door (Sedan) 4-cylinder 2003/2004 Honda Accord is assembled in Sayama, Saitama, Japan, in the exact same plant as the TSX. Hence, all 4-cylinder 4-door Honda Accords would have their VIN#s starting with a "JH"

All 2-door (Coupe) Accords (4-cylinder and 6-cylinder) and all V6 Accords (4-door and 2-door) are assembled in the Marysville plant in the US.

Later...AH
    As far as I know, there are no USDM Accords produced in Japan.
  • bumskier77bumskier77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I purchased a TSX about 7 months ago and I have about 9000 miles thus far. I believe the car has been an excellent investment for the low price tag. Recently I have noticed a few odd sounds and so, when I went to the dealer for an oil change, I asked a mechanic to ride along with me. He was able to find the sounds I explained, one from underneath the car and one in my driver side door. He suggest the sound from underneath is coming from a heating panel attached to the exhaust system, what ever that means, and the sound from my door is just a hard upper running board that needs replacing. Both will be replace, so no worries with that. My concern is there is an odd “popping” sound coming from underneath my steering wheel. Seems like it could be coming from my fuse box where the fuses are resetting. I don’t know! Anyone has any idea what that sound could be and what I could tell the mechanic when I see him next. Thank you.
    Having recently satisfactorily resolved the right hand "door buzz" after several visits to our dealer, we are now experiencing an unusual sound apparently coming from the top portion of the windshield. Best description I can come up with is that it sounds like sand or gravel is impacting the windshield combined with a "creaking" sound. This occurs mostly in cold weather and over uneven surfaces. Sunroom position has no affect on the sound. I seem to recall posts about something similar several weeks ago, but can't locate them. Any input out there?

Also, FM reception is decidedly poorer than our previous Honda product. Is this a function of the windshield antenna, or have posters dealt successfully with this issue?

Being picky here - but only because we love the car. What a pleasure to drive.

Thanks for any input on these two issues!
  • cardreamer1cardreamer1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I purchased an Automatic TSX about 2 weeks ago and I've only put about 500 miles on it. I recently noticed a low whining/whistling noise coming from the engine when in idle and when accelerating between 30-60 mph. Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem? This is my first Acura and I am not sure if this a normal engine sound. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks!!
  • nctsxnctsx Member Posts: 4
    I have a TSX with 5600 miles on it. Since cold weather started here in NC, I have been experiencing the same problem of windshield pops, rattles,etc that pixman (#169), inky4 (#170) and typee (# 211) reported. Any ideas about what this problem is? My Acura dealer said they had not heard of any problems with this model's windshield.
  • gpsiirgpsiir Member Posts: 22
    I also have been experiencing noise problems with my TSX from the windshield. A "creaking" noise is the best description. Took it to the service department, and was told that there is a service advisory from Acura on this. The solution is to replace the windshield and windshield clips. (The service department didn't have the windshields in stock, so it'll be a couple of weeks while waiting on the parts....)
    Thanks, gpsiir. You described it exactly.
    As with the door buzz, I have asked my service rep to research the issue before doing the fix. Your information will help me describe the issue more effectively when we take the car in.
    Could you please post again when your issue is resolved? (And same with anyone else who has had windshield and clips replaced to resolve the noise we are discussing.)
    Cheers!
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    I, too, have noticed the soft whistling noise at idle from the engine, but not at any other time. I've only had my car for a week. It's not terribly annoying, but I wonder what it is.

Does anybody know if this is characteristic of this engine?

Thanks.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    It was 12 degrees last night in NYC and I noticed a silent rattle on my 600 mile TSX. It sounds like its coming from the panel below the steering wheel. The rattle isn't annoying. More like leather twitching so it doesn't hurt the ears. I'll monitor and see if I still get it when the weather is warmer.

Also regarding the climate control with the car heated up, manually set to 75 degrees to the feet with the fan level at 4, I don't feel my feet getting any warmer. Another thing is the heated seats. It takes about 5 minutes or more before I feel it warm up. Is this normal? My 2001 Maxima does it in less than 2 minutes.
  • cardreamer1cardreamer1 Member Posts: 2
    update to #212: I took my car to the dealer and the mechanic said that this is a normal characteristic of this engine similar to the 4 cylinder Accord. I've asked this before, but doesn't anyone else notice this in their TSX? If you drive mostly in the highway you won't hear it; however, in city driving is very noticeable. This noise is driving me crazy and don't believe it is normal. I can't drive my car unless I have the radio on all the time. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on this issue.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    I posted earlier that I, too, heard the whistling sound, but I hardly notice it anymore after about three weeks of ownership.

I'm of the opinion that it probably is characteristic of the engine, because it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong, and the car runs great.

As far as the radio goes, this is the only car I've ever owned that I find myself constantly driving without the stereo on so I can hear the sweet drivetrain at work! It absolutely sings.

Just my .02 worth.

Johnny
    Discussed cold weather windshield "creak" with service advisor. He says he can find no service advisory about it, but is ready to locate problem and replace windshield and clips if necessary. If anyone has had windshield "creak" resolved, could you please post your dealer's name/location? I'll ask my guy to call them before they tackle my car.
    Re. gas mileage: We have 10K on our car w/auto trans, and are consistently getting 26.5 - 27.5 in 50/50 city v. highway driving. My wife usually drives the car, and I'm trying to encourage her to make sure the AC is off when she doesn't need it. Those not used to the automatic climate control may find mileage improves a bit if they make sure AC compressor is off; the system will often turn it on if you don't watch it, thereby reducing mileage to a certain extent. We have taken one 1000 mile trip which was about 75% freeway in which we refueled three times. Cruising 70 - 85 mph, mileage of 31.2, 33.5, 32.9. We are using either 91 or 89 octane, depending on my mood at the time, and noticing no difference in power, driveability or fuel economy. Perhaps those experiencing high fuel consumption are driving with AC on and in extreme cold temps? Or maybe you are just enjoying the car too much . . . (We live in Phoenix area, so temps are moderate.) I would add that the car seems more comfortable and "planted," and the suspension more compliant, at 90+ mph. A bit more of an "autobahn flier" than we really needed . . .
  • jkotranjkotran Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

After three failed attempts by my dealer to correct the infamous winter dashboard creak, I decided to telephone Acura Client Services to see if they could help.

They stated that they do not think that the problem is widespread. They also have no information in their technical bulletin database regarding the issue.

Please call them to report the problem if you have it. They are very polite, courteous, and prompt. It will not take you much time at all. I think that it would help Acura to realize that there is indeed a widespread problem. Perhaps then they will fix it.

The number is 800-382-2238.

Please call today.

Thank you,

Joe Kotran
  • nctsxnctsx Member Posts: 4
    My Acura dealer in Chapel Hill readjusted the windshield moldings and my creaks/pops went away. They still want to add some silicon next week, so hopefully this problem is over.

Anyone had their window switch lights go out periodically?
  • chuckleheadchucklehead Member Posts: 1
    I too have noticed the "pop" sound in the windshield when it is cold (25 degrees or so). I have not noticed any rattles in the door as others have, but there is something in the B pillar that rattles over certain types of road surfaces. Mileage has been okay, around the mid-20's with mixed city/highway use. The stereo is pretty good too. The radio reception could be better (can sound somewhat distorted with certain highs, especially at the end of spoken words on talk radio), but cd's sound great. The paint seems pretty thin though (road sand/salt has already taken its toll... stupid ice storms). The sunroof also produces a significant buffet around 40mph - anyone else notice this? Any ideas on how long it will take for aftermarket bras to be designed for the TSX? I can't handle many more paint chips!

All in all though, the car is great. Highly recommended for its price.
  • tsx_ownertsx_owner Member Posts: 2
    I have had my TSX for a month, and overall,
    have had no problems with it. However, I've
    noticed that after I reverse from my garage
    every morning, switch to Drive on the on
    the gear, there is a "Click" when the car
    starts to move forward from stationary.
    Has anyone experienced this and is it normal?
    The click seems to come from the front side
    of the car. Thanks in advanced for any insights
    you may have.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    If it's just a one time thing when you first get underway, it's likely the ABS...perfectly normal.
    That's normal. Like fedlawman said, it's the ABS doing a self-diagnostic. My two other ABS-equipped cars do something similar.

nctsx- the window switch lights for all switches except for the driver's door will shut off when you depress the "disable passenger window switches" button. It's actually a pretty cool feature, except maybe the button is too easy to mistakenly press.
  • tsx_ownertsx_owner Member Posts: 2
    fedlawman, xplorx4, thanks for the info.
    I was wondering if anyone else has experience this.......I am getting this odd creaking sound from the upper part of the front windows, it has nothing to do with the door and the buzz sounds I have read about (those never occurred with my car). It only happens when the window is all the way up, by putting the window down the slightest it goes away, anyone else have this problem? The car is going in for regular service next week and I have already mentioned this and a technician will take a quick ride to listen, fortunately I have a great dealership to go to so I feel they will bend over backwards to fix it (this is my 3rd Acura from them)......Aside from this, the care just rolled 9k miles in nine months and runs beautifully, as with any Acrua I have had in the past it seems to run better after about 7.5k miles, the MPG is up to 26 (50/50 hiway/city) and love it's peppiness.......I love runnin' the RPMs up to 6k and listening to the IVTEC kick in, shift than and it takes off......fun times.
  • jim04tsxjim04tsx Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed a creeking in the shift mechanism. This occurs when the vehicle is under power or torsion. I believe it is a plastic on plastic issue, but it is sometimes very annoying. Anyone else?
    Tommy, the creaking sound is caused by the rubber weatherstripping rubbing against the window glass. The weatherstripping sometimes becomes too "grippy" and sticks to the glass. You can remedy this by wiping the weatherstripping with a vinyl conditioner. Also, apply Rain-X to the window, including where it snugs into the weatherstripping.

You may also notice a similar sound when the sunroof is open. The sunroof weatherstripping creaks against the painted sunroof opening. The fix for this is the same as above.
    I will give it a try and let you know the out come, I honestly believed that it was something like that, thanks for the info.......
  • forddaryforddary Member Posts: 1
    I have a noise that I cannot exactly pinpoint that sounds like a "bird chirping". It appears to be coming from the passenger side. Also, does anyone else have a radio that just shuts off for a couple of seconds and then returns. According to my wife this is a daily occurence. Help! I love the car but need to fix these minor irritants.
  • tsxsilvertsxsilver Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a TSX in Nov. 2003. I've noticed an annoying low pitch whining sound when the car's in first gear and its even more noticeable when I hit around 45 mph. At both speeds I'm using light exceleration. The service department says the sound is caused by the design of the TSX transmissions and that it is not a defect or fixable problem. I test drove another TSX and it did have the problem but the whine was very faint.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, I have spots under the clear coat on my alloy wheels. The dealer says I should be able to use rubbing compound to remove these, but it didn't work. Have you had this problem?
  • tsxsilvertsxsilver Member Posts: 2
    I just read your comment about the annoying whistling noise after I posted the question 2 days ago. Wow, I'm relieved that someone else has noticed it and has a problem with it. I too was told by my service manager that it is inherent to the TSX transmissions and some newer CLs. I have driven other new TSXs to see if it's true. I have heard the whine(as I call it)in most of them, but it is very faint and not near as annoying as it is in my car. I'm currently driving a TSX dealership loaner with 25 miles on it, and I can hardly hear the whine. It's great because I usually don't have the stereo on.

I couldn't have had this noise when I bought my car, otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it. My theory is the whine gets louder as I put miles on it(currently 5,500). Yesterday I met with the dealership owner and the operations director. They said they would take care of it. I'm not sure how they will do this. I'll keep you posted.
  • glovesgloves Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2004 TSX that I bought this February. I'm very tuned into the sound of the car, and I don't have any whines. I've had sounds like you decribed in an Audi A4, and when the dealer checked with the factory they found a fix.

Good luck.
  • motsxmotsx Member Posts: 1
    I noticed at approximately 2M miles that when I was traveling at and had the cruise control on at 70 mph, the engine made this "chirping" noise. If I backed down to 65, or increased to 75 it disappeared. Now I also notice it at 60 mph but again it's ok at 65, or 75 mph. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know what is is or why it is doing this? Tks.
  • mbennett674mbennett674 Member Posts: 66
    I am still struggling to recreate/identify a click that occurs very rarely. It seems to come out of the front axel, and usually only happens once when I first start driving my car. I have found a simliar feeling when going over uneven road (maybe it has to do with VSC). If anyone else has experienced, please let me know...