Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tooter69tooter69 Member Posts: 3
    had same problem on 2000 impala i caused the problem take plastic cover off of motor on back side of engine is vacuum line might be disconnected let me know tooter69
  • tooter69tooter69 Member Posts: 3
    tried to install one my self you need a passlock bypass module so that when the remote start engages it bypasses or sends new codes with out the key would have cost me $80
    good luck
  • shockhoundshockhound Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my windshield washer fluid sprayers stopped working. The way I see it, there are four potential causes: 1. The lines are clogged 2. The pump is broken 3. I blew a fuse to the pump 4. The switch on my steering column is not functioning. I disconnected the line just above the reservoir to see if I could get it to pump through the shorter length of hose. No luck, so it's probably not a clog in the line. I located the fusebox under the hood but the label identifying the location and function of the fuses has become illegible. Can anyone help me identify which one, if any, ties in with the washer pump? If it's either of the other two, I'll probably just bring it into the shop since I'm not an experienced mechanic. Unless, that is, someone out there is willing to walk me through the diagnostic and repair. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Josiah
  • lovesreeses1lovesreeses1 Member Posts: 1
    hi
    anyone hear of resealing lower intake manifold before 4 weeks after your warranty expire $713 plus tax
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    That price is about right, but depending on the model of your Impala there may have been a recall issued that would take care of the manifold at no charge. Mine is a 2000 model and they eventually reimbursed me for my repair, but I don't remember how many years the recall covered.
  • shfl2005shfl2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same transmission problem...can get dicey because I live in a hilly area. Dealership can't diagnose because no codes are being detected and can't duplicate the problem. Problem is intermittent. Basically when the car is cold, it will run like it is in 3rd gear. After warming up, it works fine...sometimes. Have also had problems with the tranny slipping out of gear when stopped. Rev the engine and it acts like it's in neutral. It does this in all gears. Took it to AAMCO and the mechanic just over filled the transmission fluid and said see if the problem reoccurs. They wil have to do a more intense diagnostic if it happens again and I fear the worst (tranny rebuild). I have read all the posts here and am just wondering if anybody else has had this problem because none of the posts seem to match my problem completely except Ariella's. Very disappointed in GM as I have been the only owner of my 02 Impala and it only has 39000 miles on it! Warranty is expired. Have taken exceptional care of this car and I do like it! Can anybody help? :confuse:
  • chuchuchuchu Member Posts: 1
    hello Im new to this and i have a 01 3.4 base impala i removed my aftermarket radio and put the factory one back and my car wont crank. I know if i bridge the solonoid the car starts but the security light stays on. I've tried the disconecting the battery thingy also tried the 3 times 10 min thing just dont :sick: know what to do now. please help.... :sick:
  • danimal76danimal76 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 impala 3.8l is shutting down while im driving. it usually starts right back up but lately has been taking about five minutes to get going again. Its been to two chevy dealers and two mom and pop mechanics and no one can find the problem. Its not storing any codes. Anyone have any suggestions? Im getting desperate!
  • onesteveonesteve Member Posts: 1
    I have 03 impala and 83000, i just bought it from dealer iam 2nd owner. I think my cat bad to, but what wires are you talking about. One more thing cat cost around 90$ but labor expensive, cause of welding pipe i think maybe sombody know another ideaqs about welding.
  • sirdinsmoresirdinsmore Member Posts: 2
    Mine is doing the same thing. I'm hoping it's the fuel pressure regulator which you should of got a recall notice for this. I'm overseas and it's a pain not to be able to take it to a dealership. But chevrolet has a dealer of some sorts over here .T :confuse: hey already ordered the part and hopefully this works. I'll let you know
  • danimal76danimal76 Member Posts: 2
    The engine fuel pressure regulator was replaced in December of 2004 so I dont think thats the problem. Thanks for your imput. If you think of or hear anything else please let me know and Ill do the same for you.
  • rocketman7rocketman7 Member Posts: 1
    my mother, who lives 3 hours away, says that she is getting a symbol lighting up on her dash. It is a green circle with about 5 lines radiating away from the circle. Does anyone know what thta symbol means?
  • don86don86 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 impala here's an unusual problem occasionally when turn on heat get cold air even if temperature is set on hot - if turn off heater and turn on again then get heat. Same thing with rear defroster button lights up but defroster doesn't work if tun off then on rear defroster works any ideas? Dealer wants me to wait till heat/rear defroster completely stops working .
  • spaz06spaz06 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Chuchu, I'm having simular problem with security system. The security system does lock the ignition if it doesn't recognize the key "copied" or like my problem, any-time the door locks or remote is messed with and/or security is compromised,(still looking into the causes)In the manual it also says that it actually has a sensor that will cut off the fuel supply if started with a wrong key. I've been re-setting the alarm through the sterio consule by holding the "display" button & it will take you through the settings to re-set. Hope this was helpfull.
  • drsdrs Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 Impala. did your Dealer have the fix for this problem or were they like my dealership weho couldn't duplicate it?
  • jdc4jdc4 Member Posts: 2
    I can not see the dashboard at night - Odometer / Radio
    also fade / go dark. Any ideas?
  • ewoodwardewoodward Member Posts: 5
    Well, where to start. I picked up a 2006 impala for 24000 it had 2500 miles on it. I know what you are thinking. It was dumped, it is possible. I was "told" the person who bought it, picked it up thought it was too much car. He brought it back for an SS truck. I have had it to the dealer about 3 times in the last month i have owned it. The Check engine light comes on. They have replaced the transmission soloneoid, wiring harness, module. Light still went on. As of today they are replacing the transmission. GM is saying they have had 3 other cars that have had pressure problems, a hole somewhere in the tranny that is kicking the engine light on. I pray for the best this weekend... ANY THOUGHTS??? also the right head lamp was on back order for a leak. IT will be fixed as well.

:lemon: ???
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    jdc4,

You may want to check for blowned fuse that may supply the dimmer voltage to the IP and radio. On older GM vehicles, there is a module that supplies the dimming voltage to radio (buttons backlighting), HVAC unit, Intrusment Panel whenever the park light is on. On newer designs, the radio is responsible for its own dimming by tapping off the 12V and modulating the duty cycle. In such a case, the dimming module may just send a dimming message (Class 2 in your case)to all units. So for this type of design, you could still have a bad dimming module. Or you could have a broken Class 2 data wire that connects between this module to the radio, dashboard,... I assume your radio still shows the radio station and time of day, except it does not dim down at night. If the radio display is not even working and you don't even hear sound from it, then your car may have the 12V wire supply (to radio, air control, dashboard)pinched.

Good luck

jt
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Is it a kind of half-moon, with lines going to the left? It's telling her the daytime running lights are lit. No trouble, just an informational light.
  • bwiegandbwiegand Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 chevy impala with a 3.4 liter engine. It is experiencing the same problem you describe. I have purchased an intake manifold gasket set but I have not purchased new manifold bolts. If I get the new bolts where can I find the new revised torque specification?
  • lbrooks4lbrooks4 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Chevrolet impala Ls 3.8 ltr, i think i am having the same problem . . . however, i was on my way home from work monday when stopped at a light the security light came on, the battery light came on and the car just shut off from an idle, when trying to restart it wouldn't start, it took three tries, called on-star and they said i have a "Major malfunction with the drive train get the car to your local dealer within 1 day" ? when the car did start, it was jolting and sluggish, didn't want to run . .. not sure if it's the tranny or something else, just recently had a problem with the check enging light constantly coming on and not going off, it was a solenoid related to the EVAP system, clld GM and didn't want to know anything about it, that seems to be fixed for now, but if it's not one thing with these hi tech cars, its another . . . never ending battle it appears to be to me
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    TX GUY...or anyone else that has had the steering clunk problem TX Guy noted in thread way back.

I just inherited an 01 Impala LS, it's got 47,500 miles and runs great, with exception of one problem. The steering when step on brake to shift, it seems to have a clunk, also seems to elicit that same sound occasionally when turning, etc... Do you recall what the diagnosis was to fix the problem. Took to mechanic other day and he said drove and didn't feel/hear anything. My wife who had never driven the car before we inherited it, noticed it the very first time she drove it. I noticed on first drive as well.... hoping to help them figure out problem (suppose the guys not much of a mechanic).

Thanks
    Sounds like the intermediate steering shaft (ISS) problem many others have had (not just the Impala, but other GM sedans of this size). Dealerships should have had enough experience dealing with these that they'd recognize the problem; unless things have changed since I had my 2000 repaired they basically tap a grease fitting into the steering shaft and squirt it full of grease - I don't think it's a safety issue or anything, just annoying. The noise definitely presents itself when applying brakes and turning (and especially when doing both).
  • riverwalk100riverwalk100 Member Posts: 3
    well there are alot of Cat problems wiht the impy. the cat is covered up to 160,000 miles by gm. FREE replacement on the cat. just and fyi
  • wooziewoozie Member Posts: 3
    Help - please explain exactly what this is. Coolant is leaking into oil. I was told "it could be the intake manifold or the gasket". What kind of cost would be involved? Car is a nightmare. Am talking to GM but they only offer to "MAYBE" pay part of the cost of repair. 2002 Impala with 48000 miles.
    There was a pretty common problem with the 3.8l engines and their upper intake manifolds (at least the earlier years of the Impala); as I recall they switched from using an aluminum manifold to a composite one to save a few pennies, but as a result they ended up developing leaks (maybe because of different expansion rates between the composite and the aluminum parts beneath). When my 2000 model developed a leak, I think I paid about $800 for the repair, which was ultimately reimbursed by GM. Fortunately mine leaked coolant outside the engine versus mixing with the oil internally, so I can't say your problem is the same as what I (and several other of us) experienced.
    When they told me it was "either the intake manifold OR the gasket or both" did that mean a gasket related to the manifold or does it mean the head gasket?
    The problems I've heard about are all related to the intake manifold (and the accompanying gasket); I haven't heard of any problems with the head gasket. However, since you've got an oil/water mix problem that might indicate something more than the intake manifold. Hopefully it's the intake manifold/gasket; if so let them know that you know there were problems with this, and that GM paid to repair many of these. If you dredge back through the archives here you can probably find a reference to the VIN numbers or build dates of the cars covered by the repair. I don't think it was a recall per se, it may have been more of a service bulletin-type of thing. I'll check the few things I've got flagged and if I can find anything else I'll post it here. Actually I found a reference in post #671 in this forum...dig around in that area and see if you can find any details.

Is yours a 3.4 or 3.8? I don't recall much problem with the 3.4 in this regard, so if you've got the 3.8 it's probably the intake...if it's the 3.4 I don't know.
    I appreciate your replies. I'll have to look to see if it's 3.4 or 3.8. I've already talked to GM and they want me to get the pressure test done, then they would evaluate to see if it looks like there is any question about proper maintenance, THEN they might pay for part of it is what I was told. It was clear from the start that they know about these problems.
    Good luck!
  • deeterbugrdeeterbugr Member Posts: 3
    WOW! after months of disconnecting the battery and removing fuses our 01 Impala has been depossesed. The BCM was the problem with the flashing headlights, and other fun stuff it loved to do. Now the only problem is the instrement panel only lights up when you turn the key then it goes dark again. It is not the bulb so now we need to get that ghost out of there.
    I bit the bullet today and bought a replacement auto-dimming mirror for my 2000 Impala (@ $160 BTW). The replacement has a simple set screw to attach it to the mounting bracket on the windshield, but the original mirror is apparently held on by a different mechanism - it looks like there's a plastic cap on the end towards the front of the car, and then perhaps a metal clip that holds the mirror in place.

Anybody have an idea as to how to get the old mirror off properly without damaging anything?
    Well, I got home and tinkered with the mirror, and realized the rearview mirror on the 2000 Impala is held on with a black spring clip, so to remove it all you have to do it take a flat screwdriver and position it between the window and the clip and twist it to pop the mirror off (then I just had to unplug the wire clip for the map lights and auto-dimming function). There's a metal piece that remains attached to the windshield, which the new mirror simply slides onto (there's a hex key set screw you then tighten to keep the mirror on).

On this model at least there's also a plastic piece that runs up to the headliner which hides the wires; this basically just clips on the mirror arm, and can just be pulled off the old one and snapped onto the new one.

If I'd known it'd be this easy I'd have replaced this a couple of years ago!
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    This week had my 2000 Impala LS in at a Pontiac dealer for an oil change and inspection. Said I needed right side wheel bearings costing $500+.

I took to a Chevrolet dealer I have dealt with and they said problem is just starting. They showed me that there is a slight give to the right wheel. Said fix could wait.
    I opted to wait to have repaired. Is this a safety issue?
    How many miles do you have on your 2000, and any other symptoms (noise/vibration/etc)?

Safety-wise I think the ride would get so bad you'd get it fixed before it got to the point of being dangerous (then again, I'm no expert).

I looked in my Haynes manual, and as best I can tell this repair would require removing the driveaxles, and either replacing the bearings, or maybe putting in completely new/rebuilt units (which might be cheaper if they're available; they might cost more for the part, but labor costs could be less). It does look pretty labor intensive. I've replaced bearings on farm equipment and RWD vehicles before, but FWD makes this much more complicated. I've replaced my own brake pads, and will probably put on new rotors myself soon; but I wouldn't tackle this unless the car was a secondary vehicle that could sit idle for a couple of weekends.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the reply. I have 70,000 miles on the 2000. There is currently no vibration or other sounds. I did see the estimate and $400 of the $550 was for labor. We are putting on significant highway miles every week, so it is inevitable that I will have to have this fixed soon.
    Maybe you can get your rotors turned/replaced and new brake pads put on while you're at it...they'll have to take those things off anyway to get to the bearings, so maybe you could recoup some of the expense by doing it all at once and avoiding paying the labor twice?!??!?
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    My wheel bearings on drivers side front wheel started to squeak occasionally at 112,000 miles (2000Impala). If you are lucky you can find one used on ebay for $150, then it just becomes a problem of doing the labor, which you might wanna get a service shop to do. They might tell you to replace both at the same time with factory new bearings, but if the car is older and has over 100k miles you would probably be ok with the used bearings. good luck!
    My 2003 LS Sport Impala just did something unexpected and looking for any insight into this.While taking a hard turn I noticed the "Low Brake Fluid" light flash on. I went to the nearest gas station and bought a bottle of Dot3 Brake fluid, while pouring it in to the resevoir I noticed that once it was above the Max Fill line it would seem to leak out of the reservoir. Is this a feature to prevent overfill or a cracked/broken resevoir? Thanks!
  • lindaflindaf Member Posts: 2
    I read a post of yours about your grandfathers 2001 impala. My car is shutting down just like theirs did. My car is also 2001 impala. I was wondering if the fuel pump relay fixed the problem. The chevrolet place is unable to figure the problem out because it does not do this all the time. I read somewhere on this board that it could be a security problem. I would like to give some suggestions to the Chevrolet Dealer when I take it in.
  • realcarguyrealcarguy Member Posts: 5
    If any body is looking for some good reasons not to buy the new 2006 Impala SS check out the postings under the Impala real world mileage discussions! Poor mileage, not so great performance, down right bad fit and finish. Maybe they can get it right in '07 - with the pending EPA reform's help.
  • johndentonjohndenton Member Posts: 1
    I'm a UK based writer, working on a novel set in 1965 which features one of the characters driving a 1964 Impala sedan (5.4 liter V8). I need to know whether the ignition and trunk were operated by separate keys or by a single key (or was the trunk operated by a remote lever?).
    Any help much appreciated - thanks.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    GM did not implement one key for both ignition and door/trunk in old models (prior to 199x MY). So it is probably that the 64 Impala has two keys.

jt
  • dishmandishman Member Posts: 1
    I am going nuts opvetr this stupid Passlock. I had my 2000 GMC Yukon Denali and it worked fine for about 25000 miles, then one day the dreaded passlock system wouldn't allow my car to start. At the time it was under warrenty so I took it in, dealer said, "nothing is wrong". They ran tests and it came up normal. Sure enough , a few weeks later same problem. Now that it is not under warrenty, the passlock acted up at the dealer and they charged me $400+ to replace. Sure enough, exactly one week after I got back from dealer, same problem. This thing is ridiculous. i had my 8 month iold daughter in the car one tiime when it didnt start and we sat in the car for 70 minutes before it start in 12 degree weather. GM has to recall this piece of @#$%! Very Frustrated!
  • dan56dan56 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all.

I own a 2001 Impala LS, I was wondering where I might find a site that contains modifications for my year of Impala (i.e. higher powered lights, neon glow, etc).

Thankyou.
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    Johndenton-

I'm dating myself here... A Chevy Impala of that era had two keys. One (with a rectangular head) operated the ignition. Another with an oval head opened the doors and trunk. I do not believe a remote trunk release was available in that car.

As an aside, the engine displacement would be referred to (in the US anyway) in cubic inches. I don't know offhand what 5.4 l works out to in cubic inches but I believe the V8 most commonly found in that car was a 327. I give you credit for doing some research on getting "car stuff" right. I've been reading a book by a great crime story author, tells a great story, great characters. But he keeps referring to cop's "Ford LTD's". They haven't used or made those in what, 15 years? But I digress...

Dave
    try a site call impalahq dot com. It's got great info on how to get around the inner workings of the car and take things apart without buying the manuals. Good luck!
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Interesting that you mention this. Several months ago I was seriously considering buying one of these cars new, but then the dealer told me about the Displacement-on-demand engine control system, which could not be deactivated by the driver. That was enough to convince me not to buy it. Almost without exception, when GM develops a new system like this, they will have problems with it the first year. Remember the 1981 Cadillac 8-6-4 fiasco?

Also, any front wheel drive car with a 300+ HP engine has limited appeal.
  • betty6betty6 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone help or had this problem. I have 2000 Impala when turning on signal light it makes buzzing noise and sometimes turns the car off. This is really crazy.
  • mfx007mfx007 Member Posts: 5
    Have not seen the hole myself yet, but the dealer says that there is a hole in the intake manifold on my 2003 Impala (70k miles).

Does not appear to have the leaking gasket problem - don't think that the coolant has gone down.

I was driving it from Minnesota to Colorado and noticed that the power degrated much more at altitude than I expected. Then while stepping into it a bit more (not flooring it)to gain a little speed as I was dropping back going up a pass on I-70, the trans downshifted and the engine made a noise. The Check engine light was blinking (engine misfire as indicated in the manual). Car seemed to run just as well after this event - though still very doggy. Drove all the way back to Minnesota without much problem until the last couple of hundred miles. At that point, the car would barely run at idle. This would be expected with a hole in the intake. I don't know why it did not run like this right after the misfire.

I assume a backfire formed the hole. Dealer says the hole is a "melted" hole. Why would it backfire? Something else wrong?

Any ideas? Gtting the intake manifold fixed right now.
This discussion has been closed.