Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry - Pollen and Air Filters

andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Anyone know how to change the pollen filter in an '02 Camry? What does this part cost?

Comments

• Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    The filter is located behind the glove box and is accessed by removing a screw that holds the glove box door in place. It is a relatively easy job that most people can do. It is covered in your owners manual, so you can see if you would want to do it or have them replace it.

I didn't replace mine until 30,000 miles and the filter was very dirty. But I am going to replace it again at 45,000 miles.

In addition, I paid around $30 for mine as well.
  • Options
    Evedently the 'book' must tag replacement of the pollen filter as .5 hours because they want to charge me $30 to do so...I think I will do it myselef...AND read my manual first. THANKS!!!!
  • Options
    yankees1520yankees1520 Member Posts: 1
    The Cabin Air Filter is located in the rear of your glove box. Its is easy enough to remove the glove compartment, and the directions for replacing the filter are in your owners manual. First you remove the glove door and than the entire box, once that is done you will see the filter which you pull right out and replace with a new one. Put the glove box and door back on and your done .A dirty filter can effect you heat during the winter and A/C during the summer and should be replaced at 15000 miles. I first replaced mine at 17500 miles and was shocked when I saw the condition of it and I do not smoke at all. Good Luck
                            Ken
  • Options
    rperez718rperez718 Member Posts: 10
    I just replaced it myself, easy job. I went to the local Toyota dealer to buy the replaceable element and he quoted me $46+tax. I found that outrageously expensive, went to the internet and found it for $18.75 + $4.89 shipping from www.championtoyotagulffreeway.com . It was the lowest price and excellent service! Will check with them in the future for all my Toyota parts needs. Roberto.
  • Options
    If only I had waited another day! Paid $33 at my dealer...real simple to install, how they can charge a half hour labor for a 5 minute job is anyone's guess!
  • Options
    cowdoniumcowdonium Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if a 2000 camry has a cabin air filter? I checked my owners manual but couldn't find any reference to any sort of air filter. If once exists, where is it and where can i purchase one?

Also, what does a pcv valve do and when should you replace it?
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    There is no cabin air filter (I believe it was added with the 2002 Camry redesign). The PCV valve is part of the system that purges combustion byproduct gases from the crankcase to the air intake/filter assembly. I believe the valve keeps the gases flowing in the right direction -- crankcase TO air intake. Toyota has no maintainence requirements for the PCV valve.

Clutches can give warning of failure in many ways -- your best bet is to have a competent mechanic check it out. My early carbureted VW Rabbit acted as though it was hesitating -- when you stepped on the gas from a stop, the car didn't move initially. I thought the dealer was giving me a line.

On my 1980 Volvo, it got very hard sometimes to move the shift lever into first gear -- I had to move it into second and then into first when pulling away from a stop. Then the clutch just went suddenly at a light. I couldn't put the lever into any gear, with the engine running. I finally got the idea of turning off the engine, shifted into second, and managed to get the car going (with lots of noise until the car got up to 20 mph or so) so I could limp to the garage nearby where I normally went for service.
  • Options
    howardw1howardw1 Member Posts: 1
    I could not remove the glove compartment door or box to replace the pollen filter. I removed 5 screws but this did not release the door. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed.
    Thank You, Howardw1
  • Options
    Do you have a 2002 or later Camry model? If so, see your owner's manual. There's only 1 screw to remove, and it's on the right, after you open the glove compt. door.

The 2001 and earlier models don't have filters.

If your new to Edmunds, don't expect someone to reply from almost 2 years ago.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I was trying replace the air filter on my 2003 Camry. I was trying to remove the screws and open the cover but failed. Am I doing something wrong? I looked at the owner manual and couldn't find anything mention the filter change. I changed air filter on several cars with no problem, just remove some screws or clips. But this one is difficult.

Also, the A/C filter is pretty easy to change. I can't imagine the filter is covered with dust, pollen and leafs with 20K miles on it. That costs almost $40 at parts department.
  • Options
    The air filter can be a little tricky to extract. There are 2 10-mm bolts that must be removed first, but the unit is rather hard to open. I don't think I can adequately explain it over the internet, so you might want to seek some assistance.

On the other hand, you ought to take a look at the pollen filter. Mine was BLACK with dirt/grime after 19K miles of driving, the last 4K miles in NYC.
  • Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "...the A/C filter ... costs almost $40 at parts department."

And you're "married" to the take-yer-money-ship's parts department, because? Try Autozone for a Purolator, FRAM, or Bosch in-cabin HVAC air filter replacement for your Toyota. Some Bosch models have a two-layer composition of paper and activated charcoal to remove both particulates and stink.
  • Options
    I didn't realize these were available in the aftermarket. I guess for a Camry, the best-selling car, it's a "duh" to produce these.

Speaking of pollution, on my just-completed cross-country trip, it was appalling to see the far-off smog layers enveloping the greater Salt Lake, UT metro area as well as the Pueblo, CO area. This was because we were approaching both areas from far, far away in relatively pristine air and we were able to readily spot the pollution clouds.

The Salt Lake one I initially thought was due to a very large coal-fired power plant that we could see, but upon closer inspection, it was obvious that the plant alone wasn't the source.

Anybody who thinks we're done cleaning up the air is living in unreality. So change those pollen filters! And keep your emissions systems in working order!
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    I had trouble at first two. After you remove the two screws/bolts there are two clips kind of things in backs you have to get those out of position. Yeah hard to explain. I was first scared to use force at first fearing i would break something but i find that using a bit of force is required.

wow filters are expensive. the air filter and a/c filter combined cost me 40 dollars at my toyota parts department.
  • Options
    Glad to see the responses! It (air filter box) is different on '02 to '06 Camry. I changed air filters on many cars before. This one is the tricky one, not an easy DIY job. They (Toyota) think someone would steal the filter?

haefr - I was at the dealer for an oil change. So I decided to buy the A/C filter at the parts department next door. I didn't have time to shop around, plus gas is not cheap these days. But I will look around next time when I buy stuffs from those stories. The OEM air filter costs $18 and the A/C filter is $38. It turns out the A/C filter is just a piece of foam. I was going to throw out the plastic frame when I removed the filter from the glove box.

Yeah! Dirty A/C filter already at 21K miles or 19K miles on 210delray's Camry. Imagine those dirt may end up in your lungs!!
  • Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "...we were approaching both areas from far, far away in relatively pristine air and we were able to readily spot the pollution clouds..."

Most days in southern California during the summer months we not only can't see pollution clouds, we're doin' dang good to see across the street... We had a few clear days last August and my granddaughter asked me what that funny smell was. I told her not to worry about it - everything would be back to normal again in another day or two...

(Apologies to the memory of comic Henny Youngman...)
  • Options
    Well, we started our trip in L.A. in mid December, and the sky was actually blue (unusually so, our son reported).

However, when we drove down the coast to see my brother in northern San Diego County, we could look back in the direction of L.A. and see the brownish-gray haze covering it.

So I can only imagine how bad it is in the summer!
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My dealer charged $26 each for the cabin air filters for my wife's Highlander and son's Matrix. Neither was available at Pep Boy's or AdvanceAuto.

The filter in the HL was surprisingly dirty after less than two years and 15,000 miles for a vehicle that it parked in a garage almost every night.
  • Options
    Nice to see another response to air filter change or A/C filter. I paid $38 for the A/C filter. I will check with other dealer next time when I need it. Toyota should suggest or recommend A/C filter change at 12K or 15K miles intervals even under normal driving condition.
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    Also have to take into account allergies. If your family has allergies i would recommend changing the filter every 10,000 miles.
  • Options
    I thought I read the manual that A/C filter can be washed and it's reuseable. It is just a piece of foam with a plastic frame. But maybe I was wrong?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    In the Highlander the cabin air filter has no frame. It's some kind of fibrous paper. Doesn't look to be washable. The Matrix filter did have a plastic frame and looked more like an air filter with very tight pleats.
  • Options
    hayafirsthayafirst Member Posts: 6
    So where is the air filter? Thanks.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Which one? The engine air filter is inside the engine bay in a plastic box attached to a large diameter duct that goes to the intake manifold. The cabin air filter is located in the A/C evaporator/heater core enclosure behind the glove compartment. Access and replacement instructions are in your owner's manual.
This discussion has been closed.