Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Audio Questions

rhdrocrhdroc Member Posts: 22
Anyone know the difference between the premium JBL system offered and the '03 Camry LE V-6 and the standard system -- excluding the cd changer option?? Power?? Sound?? Speakers?? Appearance??

Thanks ---<Rick

Comments

• nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Hello,

Does anyone know of an after market CD Changer (six disc) that will work with my 03 Camry navigation head unit. I do not want to use the FM modulation type or pay for a dealer's model, normally they are aftermaket any way with the Toyota name on them. Does any one know of such an item?
    Thanks
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    I have a 03 Camry SE V6. I got a shop to install a 6 disc CD Changer and the controller that came with it (not FM modulator type). It's a Kenwood, and it comes with a MiniDisc player behind the faceplate also. If MiniDisc player is not what you want, there are other controllers you can choose that comes with either cassette deck or MP3 or CD players as well.

I think most aftermarkets can be mounted into the car, under one condition. A mounting gear is needed. Because the factory audio unit is huge compared to aftermarkets, you need a mounting gear to hold the faceplate in place. The aftermarket shops will tell you the specific mounting gear you need for particular controllers/faceplate.

I am not sure, however, if you can keep the factory audio unit as a controller to control aftermarket CD Changers. But as you said, the Toyota so-called factory systems are actually aftermarkets with their name on it. So you might want to ask the shops (not Toyota because they probably want you to buy the factory Changer from them!) if you can do it that way.

Good luck in finding the right system!
  • gotsolgotsol Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Does anyone have any information or success story on replacing a 2004 Solara stereo? I want to get a regular DIN MP3 stereo in there in a bad way. FM Modulators are too much of a pain.

Solara really missed the boat on the enormous stereo panel, lack of xm, and lack of auxiliary inputs.

I have a white 2004 SE 4cyl stick without a roof. This is a very impressive car for the money.

Thank you,
  • haxhax Member Posts: 1
    It's very possible, and easy to do, but can be expensive dependning on which system you have. If you have the JBL system, plan on spending for a new radio, all new speakers. The reason for this is because of the stupid JBL amp that they use. Remove the amp and your car will sound like junk if you go thru the existing radio.
    If you have the nav unit, you can still do some cool stuff, but shoot me over an email and I'll give you more information.
  • kumarashkumarash Member Posts: 1
    I have Camry 1998 fitted with original radio and cassette palyer. I want to replace that with new radio and cd player. cam someone let me know how should i proceed. I tried to pull out existing radio with no success.
  • scotttscottt Member Posts: 4
    Hi, wondering what other cool stuff your talking about. If you go to the Toyota Tundra User sight, they have a hack that allows putting a backup camera video input into the Camry Nav system - cool and geeky, but I am a geek after all.

Scott
  • john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    I have a Camry SE on order and was thinking of having the dealer-install a "Toyota" subwoofer (beneath the seat?). My salesman discouraged me (said I'd be better off going elsewhere). Does anyone have the dealer-installed subwoofer? Is it worth it?? Thanks!.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    There are many choices (mostly trunk mounted) beside Toyota OEM. The OEM costs about $300 plus labor.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    I wouldn't install a factory subwoofer. The speakers Toyota uses are pretty much crap to begin with (the JBL system is better, but I haven't heard that yet). When I got my Corolla the first thing I did was replace all four speakers, and I'm planning to do the same with the six speakers in my new Camry sometime soon. You can definitely do better with an after-market subwoofer, and it shouldn't cost any more.

And for the person who wanted to get keyless entry: Try an after-market alarm system. It shouldn't cost more than $275 installed and will give you keyless entry as well as an alarm with rocker detector, glass detector, panic button, remote trunk release, etc. You'd be getting something more than just keyless entry.
  • bluesabrebluesabre Member Posts: 2
    I did this recently on my 1998 Camry LE (5SFE).
    First, disconnect the negative cable from the battery. This will ensure you don't have an encounter with "Mr. Air Bag."
    Use a thin screwdriver tip with masking tape over it and remove the plastic cover plate surrounding the center console of your current head unit (the factory stereo.)
    Once that is off, you can see the mounting screws that need to be removed to pull the unit out. You will likely need to adapt your factory wiring harness to your new head unit. I simply used the existing wiring by cutting off the old harness and splicing the new harness (that comes with your new stereo) to match the power, speakers, and ground.
    Get a Haynes or Chilton manual for Camry's and it will provide the factory color code for speaker wires. It's a good $15 investment for many items.
  • stan1223stan1223 Member Posts: 2
    do you know of any aftermarket navigation system that will fit into the dash of a 2005 solara convertible?
  • tjepptjepp Member Posts: 7
    Ian721 is right. Factory stuff is usually inferior to aftermarket upgrades. Try Crutchfield's online catalog or a local stereo shop. They usually run specials throughout the year. For $300 you could do a lot better than dealers product/install.

stan1223 - I would check out Crutchfield online as well. They have nav systems to fit your car from $400-$2500.

I just wired up a 12" sub and a small amp this weekend. Just a little something to supplement my 2000 Solara LE non JBL stereo. Had it installed in under an hour. I'm thinking of putting a set of Lexus IS 300 rims on my Solara. Anyone have any experience with this besides cam2003 (post 123) ?
    Good or bad?
  • camry2005camry2005 Member Posts: 1
    I just received a 2005 Camry SE that was ordered for me. I was just told by the Parts Department of my dealership that the subwoofer available as an option (as listed in the brochure for all 2005 Camry's) is not compatible with the system I had included in my Camry. My stereo is the top stereo available for the SE and includes the following: "8 speaker", 6-disc in-dash CD, AM/FM, tape deck, Satellite capable. This list of features is not all inclusive. The parts guy said he has a guy that installs systems into all new and used cars at the dealership and that he will ask him about the subwoofer option for mine. I asked that he find out if there is any internal control available in my particular stereo to set the amount of volume/power (as in an equalizer) for the subwoofer if I were to go that route. He said he would ask and call me back. I told him I don't want to purchase the subwoofer if I can't have any user selectable control for it from the stereo.

The subwoofer available is only for 6-speaker systems (per his manuals). Hope this helps.
  • john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    Camry2005: thanks for the info. My new SE with the same upgraded stero should arrive on 12/15 (my wife can't wait).

I cooled off on the dealer-installed subwoofer; how do you find the infinity system?? does it need more punch??

BTW, my 17 year old who is inheriting my wife's '99 v6 Passat just had an impressive subwoofer, amplifier, another amplifier and new front speakers installed for $1k!! (yes, he's a big shot). My wife liked the sound, and I'm afraid there will be pressure to do something similar in the new Camry!

Anyway, enjoy your beautiful new car!(is it the v6?; do you love it)?
  • swmswm Member Posts: 1
    I have a '04 Camry XLE. I am trying to upgrade the speakers, but I am running into a problem removing the rear parcel deck. Does anybody have a clue on how to accomplish this strange task.

Has anyone sucessfully replaced the stereo system??
  • mycar01mycar01 Member Posts: 1
    I want to replace the front door speakers in a '03 Camry--base model, no JBL. Crutchfield's site doesn't even list anything that fits and the phone person says they're very shallow and didn't have a suggestion.

Anyone replaced these with good results? Thanks.
  • ajnyajny Member Posts: 6
    I searched through this forum, but did not find much information about the stereo upgrade (head unit + speakers) for a 2005 (or even 2002-2004) Camry. I have seen this page (http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/216257), but I am not looking to invest this kind of time or money.

Here is what I know so far:

1. Front door speakers are 6 X 9 BUT only 1.653 inches deep (per my conversation with the crutchfield guy). I don&#146;t think I will be able to find replacement speakers with these specifications.

2. Rear Speakers are also 6 X 9. Crutchfield guy told me that I might have to remove the seat to access/ change these speakers, and might have to improvise a little to make after-market speakers fit.

3. The head unit is a double DIN unit (see picture in page 8 of the above link), and I guess after-market housings are available to fit a single DIN unit (I already have one from my last car) in the space provided. Crutchfield sells them for $20.

Here are my questions-

1. Where can I find the replacement front door speakers? I am thinking that I might have to go with 5 1/2 speakers to fit them in 1.653 inch depth. Might have to improvice a little to fit 5 1/2 speakers in 6 X 9 speaker opening.

2. I am pretty sure I will lose the steering wheel mounted controls. Any way to reatin their functionality? One option would be to install an external amp, then the question would be - is there a way to get line-out from the factory head unit (I am guessing- NO). I have seen amps with 'speaker level inputs' i.e. they take their input from the speaker output from the factory head unit, but I have also read that that kills the sound quality. Anyone had any experiences with 'speaker level inputs' ?

Any comments/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • camry22camry22 Member Posts: 1
    im trying to change my rear speaker on my 03 camry but im having a hard time taking off the speaker cover. can anybody help me
  • zero2zero2 Member Posts: 1
    To camry22 - The rear speaker covers on the 03 camry are not removable. You have to remove the entire rear deck panel, which requires removing the bottom rear seat cushion, 2 seat bolsters, the rubber door gaskets, pillar trimpanels and the sunscreen if you have one. Try the Crutchfield "master sheets" for detailed instructions w/pictures.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    I also want to add a pair of tweeters for rear speakers. The frequency response of rear speakers are quite low, the tweeter would help in high-band (2K to 20K).
    I found few instructions for removing rear speakers but I have done it yet. If you are going to do it, take pictures and post them. Good luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - -------------

Rear Speaker Assy REPLACEMENT

REMOVE REAR SEAT CUSHION ASSY
    REMOVE REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY RH(TMC MADE)
    REMOVE REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY LH(TMC MADE)
    REMOVE REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY RH(TMMK MADE)
    REMOVE REAR SIDE SEAT BACK ASSY LH(TMMK MADE)
    REMOVE REAR SEAT BACK ASSY RH
    REMOVE REAR SEAT BACK ASSY LH
    REMOVE ROOF SIDE GARNISH INNER RH(W/O CURTAIN SHIELD AIR BAG)
    REMOVE ROOF SIDE GARNISH INNER LH(W/O CURTAIN SHIELD AIR BAG)
    REMOVE ROOF SIDE GARNISH INNER RH(W/ CURTAIN SHIELD AIR BAG)
    REMOVE ROOF SIDE GARNISH INNER LH(W/ CURTAIN SHIELD AIR BAG)
    REMOVE ROOM PARTITION BOARD ASSY(TMMK MADE)
    REMOVE REAR SEAT SHOULDER BELT COVER RH
    REMOVE PACKAGE TRAY TRIM PANEL ASSY(TMC MADE)
    Pull the package tray trim panel assy upward to disengage 4 clips.
    Put the bezel and anchor part of the seat belt through the slit part.
    Pull it as shown in the illustration to disengage 5 claws.
    REMOVE ROOM PARTITION BOARD LH(TMC MADE)
    Disengage 4 clips and remove the room partition board LH.
    REMOVE ROOM PARTITION BOARD RH(TMC MADE)
    Disengage 4 clips and remove the room partition board RH
    REMOVE REAR SPEAKER ASSY
    Disconnect the connector.
    Remove the 4 screws and rear speaker assy
    INSTALL REAR SPEAKER ASSY
    Install the rear speaker assy with the 4 screws.
  • tzzooomatzzoooma Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 and plan to replace the head unit. Any diagrams or other
    tips for removing the OEM unit?

Is the Metra 99-8203
    or American International TOY-K979 the better kits?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My 2005 has a button that says "Sat" which implies some level of integration. The Toyota website says "Featuring radio controls integrated into the vehicle audio head unit." Just wondering where the unit sits and what the cost might be.
  • grstevengrsteven Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have a 2005 Solora SLE. Had Toyota install it, the only thing that was strange they put the antenna about half way down on the right side of the trunk. I asked them why they did not put it one the roof, they said that is where Toyota says to put it. I am looking into that. But it works great. Cost me $500.00.
  • 71cuda71cuda Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you know your Camry's. Can you tell me how to remove the JBL radio deck from the dash on 2002-2004 Camry? Thanks for the help. Gil
  • jgkahnjgkahn Member Posts: 1
    Gil,

Did you every find out about removing the JBL radio deck? I'm got a 2001 Carmy collector's edition and would like to remove the radio as well. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jim
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    pull the cover (the one cover the transmission shift)
    start from the cup holder, just pop it up and move toward the front.
    it's very easy, no tool required.
    That whole piece can be pull out so you can see the stereo. Just unscrew it.
  • minengnrminengnr Member Posts: 1
    I too just bought an '05 Camry and think the audio needs upgraded. I just have the standard system.

What did you decide to do to your Camry?

What head unit did you go with and what were you able to fdo about the speakers?
  • sn1ckosn1cko Member Posts: 9
    Will the radio/cassette/cd unit work if I disconnect and reconnect it? Is there some feature which requires a code to enable the unit to work again once it's replaced? I just wanted to make sure before I take it out and end up going to the dealer to get it reprogrammed if it needs to be.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I don't believe so, but check your owner's manual to be sure. It will be mentioned there.
  • munzmunz Member Posts: 1
    Can I install an aftermarket radio in either a 2005 or 2006 Solara?
    thanks!
    I have an '02+ camry with the JBL (no cd changer) head unit and want to know if anyone has kept the head unit and upgraded everything else. I have alpine sps-690's in the front doors and the rear deck and want to add an amp. Can I simply replace the factory JBL amp with the Alpine amp or do I have to connect the Alpine amp between the JBL amp and the speakers? I've asked the folks at Crutchfield, but their reply wasn't specific to my question.
  • jholloway_17jholloway_17 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 Camry with the JBL indash 6 disk changer, and I was wondering what you have to do to add an amplifier. I've heard that because it already has an amp, its a lot harder to add another one. All I want to do is add one Rockford Fosgate Amp, and one Pold 12'' sub. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
  • 2003lev62003lev6 Member Posts: 5
    I'd call someone reputable like Crutchfield to get their experience with this set up.

I have a 2003 LE V6 Auto with Standard (Non-JBL) Stereo and I upgraded to a JVC head unit and a 12" Pioneer Sub with a Pyle Amp.

One of these days, I gonna shatter the back glass !

But it sure gets some attention !

Good luck
    I have an '02 Camry with the JBL (no disc changer though);
    My set up before consisted of an amp and a subwoofer, while still using the jbl head unit. I used a high-to-low converter which tapped into the front left/right channels. The stock JBL amplifier is mounted vertically behind the glove box. The output (speaker-level) is the thicker set of wires. That will give you a set of RCA pre-amp-level signal outputs (left/right). Then I ran an RCA cable (16 ft, which might be a little too long) from the high-to-low converter to the trunk and connected it to the amplifier. To power the amplifier, you will probably want to get an amp power kit which is readily available at best buy, circuit city, crutchfield, etc. I can post some pictures if you're still figuring out how to set it up.
  • lbc1lbc1 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to run wireing from my battery to my amp, but i can not find the firewall. Can anybody help me with that?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The "firewall" is now referred to as the "dash panel." Firewall has too many negative connotations. Look in the engine compartment and try to find where a wiring harness or a heater hose passes thru into the passenger compartment.
  • rlj50rlj50 Member Posts: 4
    Hi!

I just purchased a 1997 Camry XLE and the front door speakers need to be replaced. How difficult a job is this? Does the entire door panel need to be removed or just the lower panel? Should I replace with OEM speakers or purchase an aftermarket set? If so, any recommendations? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RLJ50
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    It isn't that bad. The hardest part is removing the door panel. I used Crutchfield to get a diagram of how to remove the door panel in my old 1992 Camry. Crutchfield sells diagrams for most popular cars. You may need a clip pulling tool (cost of about $5). Once you get the panel off, it is just a matter of unscrewing the old speaker and unplugging the wire. Then plugging in the new speaker to the same wiring and putting everything back.

I would buy aftermarket speakers. For the money you will get a better product.

Good luck.

Jayme
  • rlj50rlj50 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Jayme!

Thanks for the response. If I purchase a set of speakers from Circuit City, for example, will I need a special speaker adapter that fits these speakers in order for them to fit on the door and will I need a special speaker wire connector to connect the new speakers to the Camry's OEM speaker wire connector.

Thanks!

RLJ
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    RLJ,

You probably won't need an adapter for the front speakers to mount them, and probably not for the speaker wire connector either. Try using the websites for Circuit City or Crutchfield, etc. to see what sizes will fit your camry. I know from expirence with calling Crutchfield, their reps will tell you what you would need to do your particular install. I assume Circuit City, Best Buy will do this as well. Just make sure you get the install sheet to properly remove the panels and you will be pleased.

Jayme
  • cingcing Member Posts: 2
    Question, have you gotten an answer for this question. I changed out my doors speakers, thinking they were blow and learned from the installer the amp is now causing the new speakers in the door to pop and shut off for a second...once the music was up at a decent level. Apparently its the JBL amp's door channels are bad. Do you know the model number to the JBL amp, I'm trying to find a replacement or run another amp? Were you able to run duel amps...?
  • hokie_kevhokie_kev Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I've done some searches but have come up empty thus far. My 2005 Camry LE once played 80 min CD-Rs I had burned using high quality CD-Rs (TDK). Recently, it now won't play them without starting to skip and blip around the middle to end of the CD-R. Has anyone else had this problem? The car is almost 1 year old.

I specifically bought the vehicle with the CD player knowing it could play my CD-Rs, but now that's no longer the case. It's not a question of new CD-Rs either. Ones that used to work now no longer do and its across the board. Normal CDs still play though. I've looked into replacing my CD player with a JVC one that supposedly plays CD-Rs, but I'm really used to the controls on the steering wheel and have been told they can't install a new CD player and maintain that, which is a big negative that has me second guessing doing that.

Does Toyota sell a player for the Camry that will play CD-Rs guaranteed that keep the same wheel controls or should I call them to get a replacement unit. As best I can tell, I have L17146 installed.

Thanks in advance for any advise/experiences.
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Presuming your collection of home-brew CD-Rs hasn't become scratched from careless handling or the dye layer partially delaminated from storage in a hot car during summer months, have you tried a cleaning CD in the drive mechanism? You're not using stick-on labels are you? Those can interfere because of the close clearance between the disc and parts of the drive mechanism directly above it when playing. Use a fine point Sanford "Sharpie" directly on the disc's identification side to identify it instead. If none of those suggestions apply or work, talk to your dealer's service department about a warranty exchange. Do NOT mention home-brew CD-Rs. Unless your owner's manual specifically states that CD-Rs are acceptable, the mention of them to a service writer is as likely as not to result in a warranty claim denial.
  • hokie_kevhokie_kev Member Posts: 2
    No, the CDRs work fine in other home systems or vehicles, so this is something that used to work just fine.

After buying the vehicle, I found the manual for the Camry does state that CD-Rs and CD-RWs, etc may not play in the CD player. Guess I found that just happens "with time" in my particular circumstance. Sounds like real player that claims it can play CD-Rs is the way to go, though I would love to hold onto the wheel controls to the system I have now as I'm quite used to using that for volume, mode, and track control with both hands on the wheel.
    I haven't been to this forum in a while, so I might give redundant information. My goal was to keep the stock head unit, yet have a high end audio system. I've asked around and people can only tell me to go ahead and buy a new head unit, which is not what I asked for. Anyhow, I was able to run dual amps. From the JBL (stock) head unit, the music signal goes into the JBL (stock) amp. From the output of the stock JBL amp, I found the 4 output channels (front/rear, left/right), and ran that signal through a (purchased) 4-channel hi-to-low converter. I had to do this, because the JBL head unit does not have pre-amp level outputs. From the hi/low converter, I ran the (now low-level) signal to my aftermarket amp. I have the Alpine F450 (4+1 channel). The speakers then just hook up to your aftermarket amp. I purchased a 4 channel hi/low converter (Brand: InstallEdge) from Best Buy. This method of hooking up a sound system does require you to cut the output wires from the JBL amp, in order to put the hi/low converter inline. Of course, the converter won't be necessary if you purchased an amp which also accepts high-level inputs. After all is hooked up, it's just a matter of tuning; there are adjustable gain knobs on the converter for each channel and you'll tune your aftermarket amp to suit your preferences. My goal was to keep the stock head unit, because I don't need to attract the very capable car thiefs in LA :mad:
  • zulf_szulf_s Member Posts: 8
    Dude, you are really a sharing individual! It's refreshing to see this level of detail shared with others.

Thanks! :shades:
  • mitchjavmitchjav Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2007 Camry XLE with Navigation System and I've added on XM Satellite Radio. Well, once I got it activated, performance has been inconsistent. At times, I get pretty good reception. At other times, it's "un-listenable" - constant cutouts, long stretches of no satellite connection, ... I called XM and they claim it's an antenna issue.

I tried looking for the antenna, but can't find it. I've heard that Toyota mounts this on the rear window package by the rear window stoplight, but I don't see it. Maybe it gets installed elsewhere when you have a navigation system?

Anyhow, I can't believe my listening experience is normal or XM would be losing customers left & right. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Mitch
  • blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    It should be close to flawless if the antenna is installed properly (mainly location). I have five XM accounts, four in cars, and a Polk tuner in my home. The factory NAV/XM in my Odyssey works off of a rather large antenna mounted on the roof and in one year it has "lost the signal" once for about 30 seconds while travelling along the base of a cliff (blocking southern access).

On the other mobile applications (all with the XM Roady 2), the small antenna requires that it be mounted on a metal surface for proper reception. All work perfectly.

I share your concern as I have a V6SE w/ NAV & XM ordered. It's due to be built the first week of June. I've read several posts about "iffy" reception in new Camrys. I did see one installation w/ the antenna on the package shelf (looked like the stock XM antenna that is supposed to be mounted on a metal surface). On another Camry (on a dealer's lot), the car had NAV, but I couldn't find the antenna.

We need to get to the bottom of this.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Yes, my SE V6 had the antenna mounted on the rear shelf (the cheap XM micro antenna). It has good visibility, but the reception is not what it should be. That is because most XM antennas need what is called a "Ground Plane" -- that is a metal base such as your car roof which helps the antenna function. Generally, the bigger the ground plane, the better (ideal would be an infinite ground plane). In actual practice, a GP about 2 feet square is probably adequate. The GP should be grounded to your vehicle frame. You could use aluminum if you want -- you would of course need to screw or glue the antenna down rather than use a magnetic base.

However, there are XM antennas made especially for mounting on fiberglass or other non-metallic bases -- these antennas are typically used for marine (fiberglass boats) and fiberglass RV applications.
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    Okay, just got new Camry and it has the JBL, that is Sat. ready. Yea, right. It will take a minimum of $300 to get this working. Dealer wanted $700. Are they crazy?

So, I have found kits two different places.
    here and here

I am fairly handy, should I try this at home?