Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT Transmission Problems

drummdrumm Member Posts: 16
edited December 2013 in Audi
Not sure if this has been discussed already but...
Can someone please explain to me exactly how do paddle shifts work? It seems like a few models are having them these days (Audi TT, Ferrari, Aston Martin and RX-8)

First off, there is no clutch correct?…., so how does one knows when to shift, just let go of the gas and quickly shift the right-hand side pedal and press the gas again?

Thanks,
Drumm

Comments

• kenstaffordkenstafford Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with their 2001 6-sp transmissions? At 55,000 my 3rd gear went out completely (all teeth broken off on input shaft pinion). Car was in a "test run" by independent mechanic after having the wheels aligned. Mechanic claims it was not his fault, the "transmission just failed" while he was driving it. Has anyone had this sort of failure? Absolutely NO indication of failure before it happened. Audi doesn't want to cover it (5,000 miles over warrantee/work not performed by Audi dealer). TIA!

Ken
  • roastzannaroastzanna Member Posts: 1
    :cry: The first one burned out after we'd had the car for less than a month, this one started slipping at about 40K miles.

I have a 2001 TT Coupe 185, love it otherwise, plan to keep it. I'm hoping to have better luck than most, I guess. I see a lot of them on the road, not like the mazda Miata where you see most of them on the resale lot! :sick:

Is the clutch really that delicate? Or should I take refresher on proper clutching technique? :P
  • jwipejwipe Member Posts: 1
    I'm going through the same issue now - my clutch burned out at 2800 miles. The customer service has been abominable. I waited 3 1/2 hours for roadside service to tow me. Now I'm going to have to wait well over a week while they order new parts from Germany - they stuck me in a crappy rental car to start, but after yelling at them I'm getting an A4 loaner. They never call me to say what the status is - I have to track them down. It's a complete nightmare, and I'm beginning to be sorry I ever bought the car.
  • cbreaz1cbreaz1 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 225 is in the shop now getting a new syncro installed on the third gear. I noticed that once the car warmed up it would occasionally grind while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Audi is fixing it under warranty.
  • radamradam Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 TT 1.8 Quattro. 65K miles. Manual transmission. For one month now, ONLY WHEN IT'S COLD AND BEFORE THE FIRST DRIVE OF THE DAY, I cannot move my shifter in the gearbox without exerting a ton of force. It simply won't get into gear.

In addition, ONLY WHEN IT'S COLD, my clutch pedal will rise extremely slowly after being pressed. To top it off, my car does emit a faint burning smell once it's warm and shifting well.

This problem has been looked at by two dealers. One states no problems, the other states my vehicle needs a new clutch and slave cylinder. I'm hesitant to believe the latter. This isn't behaving like a clutch and given the high pricetag of this repair, (quoted between 3-4K), I'm hesitant to go ahead and fix it.

I should note that once warm, there is no problem shifting this vehicle. No gear slipping. Nothing.

HAS ANYONE ENCOUNTERED THIS OR DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS? THANKS IN ADVANCE.
  • malhotra1malhotra1 Member Posts: 2
    It's def the master cylinder - the smell and the slow clutch are the giveway signs - my wife had hers changed, under warranty - and it is fine now - there have been many many warranty claims for the TT over here in London for exactly the same problem.
  • delchedelche Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing the same problem now. If its like the previous times, this will be my fourth slave cylinder. I love my car but its very disappointing on the quality side. In addition i've had the following problems: Broken hazard switch, 2 leaky headlight washer bottles, warn suspension bushing, and a few electrical grimlins here and there. And i'm only at 40000 miles. Today the repair center kept tring to push me into a new car. I said why should i when you can't fix the one i already have... Disapointing.
  • lebs66lebs66 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem w/my 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 55K miles. Mine is even worth, no matter if cold or warm, the thing will not shift smoothly into first or reverse gear when in idle. It seems like the clutch does not dis-engage right.

Audi dealer claims that the car needs a new clutch. His estimate: 2.5 K - bummer :mad: :cry: !

Going by the symptoms though, I tend to believe that it is "only" the slave cylinder.

Have you by any chance got your problem fixed and can you help me w/some advice?
  • svcattsvcatt Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 TT 4cyl Auto w/Tiptronic bought in May 05. Recently, it hesitates when it changes from 2nd to 3rd. Not noticeable when quickly accelerating...only moderate acceleration (when someone is in front of me :-).
    Anyways, the service writer said 'it's carbon in the injectors' so tracked down Marvel mystery oil. Injector cleaner doing nothing. Called the service manager...he wants the car right away. Is this the same as the 'bunny hop' others mentioned? What's causing it?
  • svcattsvcatt Member Posts: 3
    Update...shifting into tiptronic and back seems to exacerbate the problem. Now it grabs/slips/grabs in almost every gear and even with faster acceleration. They want to look at the fluid levels and the software.
  • thussein_123thussein_123 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue. If I wait for few secods, I am able to chnage with no problem. Finaly, I decided to replace the sync for gear 3. I suggest you do it at Audi dealer. It is too complicated. Even Audi engineers experienced problems and it took them a week to complet it.
  • thussein_123thussein_123 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting the same problem. It happened only when the weather is getting colder. I am not sure what the issue but I don't expect it is a cluch. If it is a cluch, will stay all day like this. I am asking friend of mine who is a dealer and I hope I get a better answer. Thanks
  • wjsaltwjsalt Member Posts: 2
    My tranny problems happened in 4th gear. I had to shift or do a 3rd > 5th upshift. When you have a 4 cylinder turbo motor, it could be kind of a drag missing that 4th gear.

I brought it in for service and Audi gave me a cheapo A4 to tool around in. I waited for the parts to come from Germany for almost a week.

Cost to me - 0 dollars.

However! It was a leased car and I made my last payment in March. I just leased a 2006 Metallic Silver BMW Z4 3.0si.

No turbo lag
    No tranny problems
    No latch to pull down to close the ragtop
    6 speed shifts like a hot knife in butter
    255HP is really fast
    The car sounds like a F1 race car!
    --
    No baseball interior
    No quattro

I'm really happy with my Z4 :)

No TT for 2006?!

NYBULLY
  • harviegarvieharviegarvie Member Posts: 1
    Have owned the TT for 3 years with flawless performance. A month ago I had an incident in which, after downshifting from 5th, the car would not go into gear -- any gear. After coasting to roadside, turned off engine & called roadside assistance. Few minutes later restarted; gears were fine and went on my way. Exact same thing happend 2 weeks ago. Happend again last week, only this time could not engage any gears except after stopping, killing engine and restarting -- then only could use first and 2nd. TT in shop for a week now; they claim nothing wrong although tow truck driver AND service guy could not get out of first when car picked up. Am fearful of being on interstate and getting run over by tractor trailer as I attempt to force car into gear...suggestions????
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ........... TT in shop for a week now; they claim nothing wrong although tow truck driver AND service guy could not get out of first when car picked up. Am fearful of being on interstate and getting run over by tractor trailer as I attempt to force car into gear...suggestions????

Do you own or lease? Especially if you own, keep the service records.

You may want to get the car checked by another Audi dealer.
  • wtaspazwtaspaz Member Posts: 1
    On my third trip to the dealer 30K, 50K and 58K for the same problem. Tranny grinds when shifting from 2nd to 3rd while rpm's are between 3000~4000. Only occurs after car has been driven for 30~45 minutes on streets or freeway. Does any know why? The dealer now says it's me.
  • wjsaltwjsalt Member Posts: 2
    Re- wjsalt
    Are you guys STILL on this TT tranny gig? Guys, I am so glad that I didn't buy the TT after the lease was completed.

I drove my 2006 BMW Z4 si 3.0, 6 speed silver bullet to Tampa Florida and back. This car held up really nicely! To date, I've spent 0.0 dollars on repairs.
    This car has NEVER seen the BMW shop except to change the oil and NY inspection.

The new TT? It looks like a frog next to the Z4 AND they raised the price.

BMW baby!!!! :shades:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Are you guys STILL on this TT tranny gig?

Well... this is the Audi TT Transmission topic, so...

On the other hand, this isn't the Z4 topic, which may be why you're not getting any responses. You might get a better reception here:

BMW Z4

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• audibuckusaudibuckus Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my Audi 2002 TT. Did you figure out a way to fix this? I really do not want to replace the clutch and then have the same problem.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
  • ljohannesljohannes Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 TT with 57000 miles. Everything was fine, it ran great, pulled into my garage, turned it off, the next time I got in. . .no 1st or 2nd gear. Unbelievable, the mechanic says it needs a new transmission? Is there anyone out there that knows of an out of work Audi mechanic (in the Dallas area) that needs a little extra money?
  • benclaassenbenclaassen Member Posts: 1
    Today, my 2001 Audi TT Quatro would not shift into 1st or 2nd gear. I was able to get reverse and back into a safe plane since I was near home.

So the deal, they will save me $4000 by not putting a new transmission in. The rebuilt transmission and a new clutch (expected at 80,000 miles) will cost $5660. My 80,000 mile service last year cost $2200. I can no longer afford this fun car and will sell it before the next shoe falls. Should have done sooner when warrantee ended.
  • evanliddiardevanliddiard Member Posts: 1
    having the exact same problem with our TT. Has the rebuilt transmission worked? Was that the problem? They have told me that they need to take it out to determine what is wrong, there is a chance that it is something that might be fixed without putting in a new transmission.
  • audibuckusaudibuckus Member Posts: 2
    i had this problem with my 2002 quattro. it turned out to be the master cylinder, a seal failed. they have to take the transmission out to get to the master cylinder.

i opted to replace the transmission; i already had to pay the labor cost to get to the master cylinder anyway, so now i have a new transmission.
  • sly11sly11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 TT-s 6cy Tiptronic that does the same. It hesitates and I don't thrust the car if I have to make a quick acceleration. The garage tells me nothing is wrong with the car.....
    Sometime, in a quick acceleration the car does not move.... I can press the gas pedal, the rpm will go up to 4000rpm and the car will accelerate to 40 miles/hours. Lately the car didn't even move.... :sick:

Did you get any info on the problem what's causing it and can it be fix? Thanks
  • princess18princess18 Member Posts: 1
    I know some post are old, but I am glad to have found this forum. I wasss considering purchasing a used Audi, but after reading these post, now I am changing my mind. I see the Audi has transmission problems, well this Audi I was to purchase needs a new transmission and does run in 4th gear. Apparently there were several things replaced in the car already, major things, water hose, timing belt ect...this is an attractive car, but I see that it has serious issues and costly. If I were to purchase this used car, what is the ball park on replacing the transmission, price wise? I am curious what this will run me and should I NOT take it to a Audi dealer and to someone else who can do this cheaper?
  • 2003ttniki2003ttniki Member Posts: 1
    My Audi TT (63k only) has gotten all the routine oil change and services (30k and 60k). A month ago it started to jerk when shifting to reverse, and between 1st and 2nd gear. After my mechanic cleaned the throttle, and changed transmission oil, it got better. Now only "bucks" slightly after I've been on the road for about 15 minutes. My mechanic suggested going to dealer in case its a computer problem. Audi dealership did a diagnostic all day today-- their computers can't pinpoint the problem... so they're suggesting a new transmission... around $6k or $7k he said. Really? WTF? The car only has 63K miles on it. It's been getting serviced... Something's not right... are there other people with this problem? Shouldn't there be a 100k warranty from factory on the transmission? What recourse do I have?
  • manav1manav1 Member Posts: 1
    hey, i no its been a long time science u posted this..but i am having the same problem with my 2001 tt i bought last month..what did u figure
    out with urs..plz let me know..thanks
  • fetheadfethead Member Posts: 1
    my car would not shift into First gear. when I look little closer I found that the shifting cable connected to first and second Lever had slid out a couple of clicks.there is a sleeve over the shifting cable directly where it is connected. use both hands and by pushing back the sleeve you can adjust the length of the cables end. if you go too far you won't be able to shift into second so somewhere in the middle.
    2001 TT Quattro convertible
  • withmoxywithmoxy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Audi TT and this morning the Transmisson went out...After reading some of these posts, I am wondering if it needs to be replaced or just the lever slipping......My Audi makes a grinding noise when I put it into gear....Yes, I am a chick, i go by noises......HELP!
  • prairie_driverprairie_driver Member Posts: 3
    The Tiptronic on my 2003 Audi also went out under 60,000 miles. I should have followed the warning on a listserve six years ago about those transmissions. And Audis in general.
    A $5500 mistake, for private rebuilt. Factory rebuilt about $1000 more.

These cars are poorly built garbage, and especially the transmissions and some of the electronics. It took about six tries to fix the window switch.

Yes, Audi should take care of the bad transmissions, but that's about as likely as the Great Pumpkin visiting Linus later this month.
  • jeeyoungjeeyoung Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem - 2003 TT at 67K miles. I don't know what to do.
  • longschlng22longschlng22 Member Posts: 6
    I've got an 05 1.8T audi TT with approximately 75 k miles on it. It shifts hard between gears. It will jump 1000 rpms up and back down and then shift. I've seen it between 1st / 2nd and 2nd / 3rd. I've also seen it when shifting from park to reverse. It happens more often in the evening after the engine gets warm and also if you break a little hard to a full stop.

I took it to my mechanic and nothing shows up on his diagnostic test. He thought it could be the engine mounts or the shift solenoids. He took a look at the engine mounts and that wasn't an issue. The shift solenoids would take too much time to get into for a maybe.

He suggested to keep driving until I see an engine check light come on so that there is more definite information. I prowled the net and found someone having an issue with the shift solenoid as well, but his problem may not be exactly mine.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
    Overall problem, as you've probably guessed, is that the Tiptronics transmission is 100% garbage. The Chinese put better transmissions in their cars.

Better have $6000 or so ready for when your dog of a transmission goes out. It might just be the solenoids, but is more likely ready to crash totally.

Have your tow policy ready. My Audi was being used by my nephew for homecoming when the transmission decided to give up the ghost.
  • jrmyjrmy Member Posts: 2
    I started my 2004 Audi TT the other day, shifted into gear and it went nowhere, shifted into reverse went nowhere, shifted into neutral went nowhere. Its the six with the dual clutch auto.

any ideas?
    See comment 37. Get your checkbook out for the piece of trash transmission. I hope you got some good mileage on your car prior to a $5500+ rebuild.

Theoretically you should be able to drive in some of the gears.
  • joeamjoeam Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchase a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 with 57,000 miles
    Fell in love instantly, car amazing, smooth butter like shifts with the DSG
    trans...took it to a local independent shop (no local Audi dealer) to have the
    dsg fluid and filter changed as paperwork didnt verify that the service previously done.

Two days after back, went to leave work, key turns everything on, but no crank of engine, and "service" indicated on dash, came back next am and key in everything fine, starts runs great, shifts great, two miles down road, trans goes into what seems like false neutral, pull over no reverse or other gears engage, turned of ignition and again no
    crank and service light, scanner shows 1 logged code, U0101 lost comm with
    TCM......get it towed to independent shop...next day start runs and drives fine, then out
    of blue does it again at shop, no crank and u0101

Also should mention on two occassions key in ignition tumbler rotated freely with no action, rotated around abit then key and switch worked properly...

so dead in water at independent shop, not knowing if ignition switch can play into the u0101 or if im looking at a Mechatronic Unit or ?

Any help appreciated
  • treksportmk3treksportmk3 Member Posts: 1
    if anyone is still readin any of this, the 5sp and 6sp transmissions in the tt are the 02m code. Theseare actually pretty stout and are said to handle 500-550hp! unfortunately, they do suffer a flaw, the most common would be the shift fork for 1st and 2nd gear. Not a huge issue as it can be fixed, welded, bolstered to make it handle higher tolerances, however it explains why a lot of you with manual transmissions are having issues not being able to shift into gears, or having trouble getting into a gear. Im not saying it couldnt be another problem, but from my extensive reading this seems to be the most common, though compared to other vw transmissions, the 6sp 02m is one of the more sought after due to how stout it is. As far as the audi transmissions go, the 01e transmission found coupled with the 2.7t engine as well as the 6sp 1.8t models of the B6 A4 generation is said to be near bulletproof but i'm babbling now as that transmission won't even fit in your car. check out the shift fork and search it online to see the problem and how to get it fixed right without breaking the bank. as far as the tiptronic folks, vw/audi should've named it "failtronic" as it's more appropriate, cheers
    -Reed
  • seeuuinncseeuuinnc Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Audi TT 4 with the 1.8 and 5 speed and have noticed that it's very easy to get into third gear vs first at a stop. I don't experience any grinding though. Could this be the shift fork you are talking about?

I bought the car yesterday and have put over 300 miles on it and can't wait to get back in for more!
  • dub13dub13 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    It is a bad mechatronic unit. If you take it to the dealer they'll want to replace the entire transmission and mech unit. I'd advise against that. All you probably need is a new/rebuilt mechatronic box. Cost is about $2500 for a new one, or you have your existing one rebuilt - when I had mine done I found a place in Europe that would rebuild ( http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/audi_eculist.html?category=4054&model=447 ) but I never used them. Once you read about the unit it makes sense that it could be easily rebuilt.
  • welshbardwelshbard Member Posts: 1
    Hi joeam,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem.. my TT 3.2 auto has just started doing exactly the same..
    occasionally (not all the time, but just at the wrong time) it will drop out of gear, the dashboard gear indicator will start to flash and you can get any forward gear.

If you turn the engine off and on a few dozen times (with associated failed gear selection), eventually you'll get some synchronization and you're able to go.
    Can't figure out whether its a software or synchronization belt/ gear teeth issue ?

Blocked the road today when it happened at just the wrong time on a busy narrow stretch