Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Accessories and Modifications

3532mp3532mp Member Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Toyota
Just found out that the 2007 White SLE convertible I purchased will be delivered to the Dealership later today. I have been toying with a couple of add-ons and wanted to get any opinions/advice. First of all, I'm thinking of a car cover for mostly outdoor use. I live in New England, so I wanted to be able to cover it over in the winter. I'll use an older car for the winter months. Also, looking into the Simonize process as well as the 3M Invisible Bra. Anyone have experience with either of these? I also want to have remote starter put in for when I finally have to start using it as my primary car (down the road). Someone told me that if I get a non-dealer installed starter, it will void the warrantee. My final question regards a wind deflector to go between the front and back seats. Toyota is quoting me $330.00. Not sure if there is an aftermarket site that might have a more affordable price. Ok....I'm done! Sorry for the long winded drabble. As you can tell, I'm psyched to get this car. Always wanted a convertible! :shades:

Comments

• h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    I have experience with the 3M invisible bra. GREAT!! It is nearly invisible and it works. It is also installed on door edges, under the door handles, on the paint side of the side mirrors, as well as the hood and the front bumper/chin. It can also be put on the top side of the rear bumper to protect the paint from getting stuff in and out of the trunk. This whole package is called the full body wrap and cost me about $700. I recommend it. ;)
  • 3532mp3532mp Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I decided to have it done along with the Simoniz. They should be finishing today and I hope to pick up the car tommorrow! I also decided to go with the aftermarket Remote Starter. The place that I called said they get the work from Toyota anyway. Now I just have to decide on a car cover and I think I'll be set. Thanks again for the reply.
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    I have no experience with car covers, but always heard warnings about mold and mildew problems if a car was wrapped up too well and moisture got trapped under the cover. You might want to post your question on a more general topic and see what answers you get.
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    That 3M product sounds wonderful...where is the best place to get it applied? I'm sure there are 'similar but not as good' products out there - and I'd want to make sure they did a super job. What are your recommendations, h20?
  • h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    I think most of what is out there now is the 3M but ask. A lot of the places that do window tint may do this as well. What you want to make sure is that the business that does the application does not cut the film on the car. The quality firms will have pre-lasercut piceces that they can apply premade to fit. ;)
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    WOW!!! Thanks for that critical piece of info...I surely would NOT want them cutting on the car - pre-lasercut it is. Thanks again..
  • toyotasolaragmtoyotasolaragm Member Posts: 1
    would like to add remote start to daughters car for her birthday. already has remote keyless entry.What is good price?where to go?does it void warranty?? please help-toyotasolara gm
  • gadgetjqgadgetjq Member Posts: 2
    Hey GM,

It's been awhile since your post but I don't see any answers to your questions and this is the first I'd seen it (just joined the forum today). I can help with one of the questions.

Adding a remote starter or any other accessory will 'not' void your warranty. In the U.S. we have something called the Magnusson-Moss Warranty act. You can Google it but in essence it says a warranty claim can not be denied unless the modification you've made causes the problem. So, if you install a remote store but some part of the drivetrain goes south or the roof won't work the warranty can't be denied. On the other hand if the remote start system causes the starter to go up in smoke 'then' your dealer wouldn't be responsible for making the repair.

Cheers
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I decided to buy the after market K&N airfilter for my 2008 Solara 4cyl. At $45 it was the price of 3 Toyo Denso filters but lasts for 100's of thousand miles with proper maintenance so I went for it. Toyota also markets a TRD high performance air filter at the same price and it appears identical to the K&N. The engine hesitation problem that late model Solaras and Camry's are noted for seems to have disappeared from my Solara. The engine does feel more respnsive and torquey with the different filter. I'll be checking the gas mpg after I fill up to measure the difference, if any. After 250 miles I'm happy with the results.
  • texasgirl55texasgirl55 Member Posts: 5
    I have the opportunity to buy a new 2008 Solara Camry and I have been told I can get a great deal by the salesman since it is an 08 and they want to move it off the lot. It is retailing for $24,475 and is a SE V4 Coupe with cloth interior. It is very nice and I want the best deal I can get. What would any of you "officianados" consider the Best deal I could get on this model since it is 2 years old but brand new?

Also, I have been searching and can't find any dealers with 2009 or 2010 models. Is 2008 the last year they will make the Solara?

Thanks,
    I suggest that you start your negotiations with the base price of the car. It's marked on the sticker on the left side. Find out beforehand if any rebates exist on the car. If yes, subtract that from the base price of the car. From there its up to you. If no trade is involved deduct about $1500 off your figures and give your offer to the salesperson.
    If you have a trade thats paid off you negotiate that separately but check here on Edmunds for its value. Remember that if you owe money on the trade car, it will be added onto the price of the new car. Taxes also will be over $1000.
  • crazy3crazy3 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought my 2008 Solara a year ago this past July. I saw it and wanted the car but I gave them an offer they said no. I said fine I would look else where and I didn't they called me for a solid week and I just finally told them look, this is the price I will pay no more. They called me back and said ok. I told them I wanted 20,000 and out the door period. And it is a new one. So I got it. Felt good in doing this one, plus I also did research
    So I guess I 'm confused by your 2 posts. In Post #12 you state that you're looking to buy a 2008 Solara and request help and information in pricing. In Post #14 you state that you bought your Solara a year ago. So which is it?
  • buppersbuppers Member Posts: 25
    Crazed,
    Post 12 is from TexasGirl, Post 14 is from Crazy3. Don't see the confusion.

T-Girl,
    I think Crazy gave good advice. Start with a loooooowww offer, acknowledge your interest but hold firm, and see what they respond with. You are in the driver's seat because there are limited number of buyers... otherwise the car would have been sold by now. Keep us posted.
    Right. I see that now. Thanks for clarification on posters. Yes the advice is sound. Start very loooow and take it slooow. It took me a month to negotiate the deal for my 08.
  • xpeditorsxpeditors Member Posts: 1
    I bought my beloved Solara in Houston the day of the Super Bowl was hosted there...in 2004. I was so excited!
    It now has over 110000 faithful miles and I enjoy driving it just as much as the day I drove it off the lot.
    My wife just bought a Highlander though I have become aware of the flat or fading suspension in my Solara. All good things must come to an end and the newness of my Solara has now faded into the shadow of her Highlander.
    I wish to pass this car onto my son in 3 years and wish to invest in the parts necessary to keep it driving like new (if that is possible).
    Where can I get good/reliable or better than the original suspension parts and who can I trust to complete the repair?
  • bitzyboobitzyboo Member Posts: 1
    Bought an 05 Solara Coupe in October. Never hard a car without rain deflectors for the windows. I work at a Chevy dealer. Toyota says they don't make them, AutoZone, NAPA, Ebay, Craigslist, obscure parts stores, we have tried EVERYWHERE and can't find anything. Please help!!! Is there any place that will make them custom if need be? Or ones for another car that will fit okay?

I'm sick of my wet arm! :mad:
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Hi,
    I have to replace an out of round wheel on my `06 Solara. I'd welcome any advice. I was quoted $575 from my Toyota dealer and $375 from our local Goodyear dealer who said he can sell me a grade 9 from a junkyard for that price.

I'm not keen on a tire that could be a cheap-screw knock-off. Quality /safety is my primary interest. Clearly, I don't know enough about this subject. If I go with an aftermarket wheel how do I make certain I'm getting top quality?
    Thanks in advance,
    Meegwell
  • solarastevesolarasteve Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    i have 2006 solara 3.3 6 cyl. i had a remote start installed 3 yrs ago and have no issue at all. All factory locks and lights work as original. also the remote trunk release works perfect.

solarasteve

scmussl@aol.com
  • oviedo45oviedo45 Member Posts: 5
    I have researched to try to find why a 2004-2009 boot top cover won't also fit a 2001 model - I can't seem to find where the back of car dimensionally changed and why the newer boot top won't fit my older model - can anyone help me with this?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited August 2013
    The Solara was redesigned in 2004 - seemed bigger and more rounded/curvy than the first generation to me. For dimensions, you might also want to ask in our answers section -- some of our members hang out there answering quick questions. You can enter your question in the Edmunds Answers box at the lower right-hand column of this page, or click this link:
    http://answers.edmunds.com

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review