Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

A3 Accessories & Modifications

mayland88mayland88 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Audi
I Am planning on purchasing an Audi A3 2.0T. Is there anything I can do to modify it? I found a place to get a new ECU, but can I put exhaust, intake, anything to improve the performance on it?

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,985
    When you change the ECU on a turbo car, a bigger exhaust is usually necessary to get the full effect of the new ECU and to avoid damaging the turbo from excessive heat (although chances of damage are slim, unless you track the car).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    There are other forums that go to great lengths to describe lots of A3 accessories, including how you can "rechip" your A3 for more power. Just do a search for "Audi forums" on the web.

Those Forum posters claim Audi cannot detect the chip modifications. That may or may not be true.

If Audi does find out you have rechipped your car, your warranty will be cancelled.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I believe that your warranty would be void if the chip modification was the cause of the problem.

So if your window regulator goes out, you’ll still have a warranty…but if you have valve problems or something like that, it may be difficult to prove that your modifications didn’t cause the problem…even if they didn’t.
  • Options
    walkerhound1walkerhound1 Member Posts: 14
    The basic bolt-on mods are available for this car. Rear sway bars are popular among the enthusiasts I know, and a relatively cheap way to improve handling. There are some good suspension packages available, too, including some reasonably priced coilover kits. I know a few guys with intakes, but the power gains are negligible, so it's just ear candy. Turbo kits are just starting to appear, but nothing I'd consider a good buy, yet. There are a few good options for turboback exhaust systems, but you'd probably want better ECU programming to take advantage of one-- ie -- a "chip."
    The 2.0T takes well to a chip, pushing it into the 260+ hp range, and getting you 0-60 times in 5.6-5.7 range with a good launch (tricky on a FWD car). There are several good chips around, and the best are "soft" chips: performance software is loaded onto your ECU. In other words, your ECU is never physically touched.
    IMO, this car doesn't need much modification to satisfy most performance appetites. A chip, good tires, and a suspension mod or two, and you're done. Check out the A3 enthusiast boards for more detailed info.
  • Options
    juliev721juliev721 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone with an A3 have an infant car sear in it? If so, what make and model of infant car seat do you have, and how would you rate it's compatibility with your A3? Please help. First baby is due in 9 weeks and we haven't selected a car seat yet!
  • Options
    ejm4ejm4 Member Posts: 1
    As for the car seat - I have both in my A3, a Peg Pergio infant and a standard car seat. The Peg's are nice, but expensive. The only problem with car seats in an A3 is when they must be rear facing as that cuts down on the leg room up front.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Koni makes a nice shock which preserves handling while cutting down on the harshness. They also offer a lowered spring kit
    for those wanting that low-low-low stance.
  • Options
    ritlinritlin Member Posts: 36
    I am looking at getting a Carbonio intake, which allows one to keep the original engine cover in place. Does anyone have any info. on CAI's or the carbonio? I don't need the biggest gains, but would like to get something with a little better improvement in both HP and gas milage.
  • Options
    dbs7dbs7 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying an A3 for European delivery, and need an infant seat and a roof rack for luggage. Is there enough hip space in the rear seat for two adults and an infant seat (18 month old child), and does Audi sell a factory installed roof rack?
    DBS
  • Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    You might try going here with that question also.
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/

don
  • Options
    drobpgadrobpga Member Posts: 1
    I need to isolate the appropriate bluetooth options compatible with the Audi A3 factory radio and steering yoke controls. Which are non functional in a car that never had navigation. I have heard that the Parrot System is good but have also heard that the Motorola system works well also. It seems that no one knows how to integrate the aftermarket system into the factory audio system. Can anyone suggest similar experiences with success? I appreciate all suggestions.
  • Options
    stell1stell1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you figure this out? I am considering an A3 that I'd want to install bluetooth and satellite in. I'll probably add a nav system as well. Any advice/insights appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.