Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Audio, XM and Onstar

chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
I have a 2006 GXP and this will be my last GM car. This was my fifth Pontiac. Yes, the 2006 has the speaker hum or the hum may be from OnStar that it is not compatible with the Monsoon speaker system. I have been going back and forth with CAC and was told recently that the New Jersey representative for my dealership said that the dealership offered to take my car to a Sound Diagnostic Center and I declined! I said that is not true. I haven't been to my dealership since Oct. when I had an oil change. I then called the dealership and spoke to the owner. He talked to the service manager and they both said they never offered me that and I said I know that but that is what CAC said. The owner said there is no remedy for this and anyway, he said, the radio would be fixed here, not sent out. CAC also said I had 90 days; the owner said you have a three year warranty. He said all the CAC wants to do is get rid of problems! Now, this morning, the car had not been used for over two days and keep in mind that OnStar is always monitoring the car but if it is not used for 48 hours they are not monitoring it because they don't want to wear down your battery. Well, this morning when I opened my door there was no humming. Now, I'm convinced that it is from OnStar. I would like to know who the New Jersey representative is who said that I declined to have my car sent to a Sound Diagnostic Center, which was not true. But after thinking about the Sound Diagnostic Center for a few days I was thinking that I didn't want any radio place messing around with my car. If GM can't fix it. How can some radio shop? Another thing last week I noticed that the words "Push Audio" on the radio don't light up as do all the other words above the buttons. Also, I live in North Jersey and used my car in the snow and the stock tires were fine!!!

Comments

• rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    I test drove a couple different GXP's, and have a question. Is the Monsoon stereo THAT much better in actual use? I tried a CD of mine in the standard stereo and it still blasted the bass out pretty well. Now I'm having second thoughts on which stereo to get. Any opinions? Thanks.
  • tonygxptonygxp Member Posts: 56
    try them both, I have the monsoon, but I'm also an audiophile, I had a subwoofer added (stealth installation, along with the Amplifier), I appreciate music the way it's meant to be heard, lows through the highs, not the transistor radio sounds that come from base stereos in almost all vehicles, the monsoon made that much of a difference (only for the clarity from mids-highs) to me, though I also have a home theater that costs as much as a new kia. Its up to you but like the old saying goes more, bigger, and louder in this case is better (why else did we buy a car with 303HP, when just a decade ago we knew that 200HP was plenty to satisfy our needs)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “why else did we buy a car with 303HP, when just a decade ago we knew that 200HP was plenty to satisfy our needs”

20 years ago today.

Well, OK – just over 20 years ago, I was in the market for a sport sedan. Same basic parameters that led to my purchase of a GXP in June of this year.

I bought a 1985 Maxima SE. Interesting to compare specs across 20 years:

. . . Maxima SE . . GXP (2005)
    . . . . . . V6 . . . . . V8
    CI . . . .. 181(3.0L). 325 (5.3L)
    HP . . . 152 . . . . . 303
    TQ . . . 167 . . . . . 323
    WT . . .. 3100. . . . 3600
    60 . . . .. 8.4 . . . . . 5.7
    1Q . . . . 16.5@80 .. 14.3@98
    EPA. . .. 19/25 . . . 18/27
    Braking. . 173 . . . . . 174
    Handling . 0.76 . . . . .0.82G
    Trans. . . M5 . . . . . .A4
    Tires . . .195/60HR15 . .255/45 & 225/50 x 18W

MSRP . . $13.7K . . . .$29.9K (w/dest.)

Actual transaction price (my GXP had an MSRP of $33K) was almost exactly twice what I paid for my 1985 Maxima SE in early 1985.

Those numbers do not likely sound very impressive to most, but for the time . .

Context \ others I looked at back then:
    1985 BMW Sport Sedan 325e had a base price of approx. $22.5K!!!
    121 HP – at 4250 rpm ( ! ), 2800 pounds, w/5-speed manual = 0-60: 8.6 and 1Q: 16.4@82

1985 Saab 900 Turbo 5-speed manual base price = approx. $20K.
    8.5 / 16.5

1985 Mustang GT 5-speed manual base price = approx. $11.5K
    6.4 / 14.9

1985 Corvette = $27K
    5.7 / 14.1

Point is: My, my, how times have changed . . .
    And my how the expectations \ standards in various automotive classes have changed as well over 20 years.

My Maxima was fun to drive and gave me good to excellent service over 2+ years and approx. 30,000 miles. But my GXP is so much better in virtually every respect.

Sources – primarily old C+D issues

- Ray
    Older now, but not much wiser . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    OK.

I don’t think I have commented here about the speaker hiss \ hum – except perhaps to acknowledge that it does exist on my 2005.

Although your post does not quite say that this is the (only?) reason your GXP will be your last GM car, there seems to be a strong implication here that this is the case.

I am really curious:

Is this the only or primary issue that results in such a declaration?

Although I am old, and have been to a few Rock Concerts and also been exposed to some other rather loud noises over the years, my hearing is still excellent, in every frequency range – and this hiss \ hum does not happen to bother me at all.

And mine does go away once I start the car (typically within a few seconds after I enter the vehicle) – does yours also? Meaning, we are talking about something that never occurs while driving your GXP, correct?

Now, you have every right to fell however you feel about this noise, but my GXP does so many things so very well – and I enjoy the GXP’s dynamics so much every chance I have to drive it – that I am surprised by how big a deal this speaker noise appears to be to you. I am pretty amazed that even if you do find it annoying, that frustration about this sort of thing would rise to the level of souring you on GM & Pontiac - forever.

My personal perspective is almost diametrically opposite. This GXP gives me hope that GM (my last 3 cars were not GM) does have the both the vision and the ability to make (at least a few) interesting cars. For me, there are certainly a few items that I would change, or ‘fix’, if I were designing & building a car just for me – but the positive and enjoyable aspects (particularly at the price) so far outweigh any annoyances that I find this one of the most pleasant overall cars to drive that I have had in some time. And my last 3 sedans had MSRPs much higher (and actual transaction prices MUCH higher) than my GXP.

Again, I don’t think you should not feel however you feel – but I’d really like to understand.
    - Ray
    Very Happy GXP Driver – now that my new transaxle has been installed . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    Okay, it's the principal. I am not at all upset with my dealer, it's GM. They knew they had the problem with the 2005, and yet, failed to correct the problematic hissing/humming noise in the 2006. It should have been corrected and was not. Since they say there is no remedy and knew about the problem they should have done away with the Monsoon speaker system, which is made in Canada, and used another system. My only recourse is not to buy any other GM car which I have already told them. So, that is why I said no more GM cars. Also, even if a Sound Diagnostic Center checked the system out, which I doubt very much would have been in my favor, I would have had then to go through the BBB. It would not have been resolved. Everytime I called CAC I got a runaround. As my dealer said, they just want to get rid of problems -- they don't solve them. When you call them, all they do is look up your question in the Manual and then call the dealer. I can certainly read and go to the dealer myself. I have already told them that they are "worthless." I would think they would have someone manning those phones who knows about the car, not a telemarketer-type person.

Other than the above, I do like the car very much. I think it is very pretty. It has been my first four-door; I always get a coupe. I prefer the coupe, but Grand Prix, I believe, stopped making the coupes after my 2002 GTP. Now, the wheels on my 40th Anniversary Edition were beautiful; these wheels couldn't even compare to those special wheels.

My humming noise goes off after I start the car. I don't hear it at all when I drive my car. So because they put a problematic speaker system which they knew was in the 2005 into the 2006 (you think they would have corrected the problem or if not, don't put the problem in the 2006 -- use a different system). They just wanted to get rid of the junk -- they had an over-abundance of those speakers.

On another note, at my Christmas Party many of the other judges loved my car. They thought it was beautiful.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Chats1, I forwarded a link to your messages to someone who might be able to help (but GM is closed until next Tuesday). Contact me directly via my email address (available in my profile), and I may be able to get your more info/help.

--Robert
    doesn't work for GM
  • dembratsdembrats Member Posts: 8
    My speaker hiss/hum problem must be worse than most I'm reading here. I would be perfectly happy if it only happened when the car was off. That wouldn't bother me a bit. Mine has a hiss almost all of the time. Sometimes I can hear it at speeds of up to 50mph.

That's probably my biggest complaint with the car. Other than that, I'm still loving it with 15k miles. I'm hoping somebody can make some progress on the speaker thing. I've basically hit a dead end with any option I know of.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Drop me an email at the address listed in my profile... and I'll try to get your name/info passed on to the appropriate folks at GM, thanks to my intermediary...

--Robert
    Can someone give me a general idea of where to connect the subwoofer in? Should I look in the trunk by the rear speakers, or tap in by the dash? Thanks.
  • spotzspotz Member Posts: 2
    Monsoon system is not very good, nothing like the Bose systems in chevys.
    I did swap out the rear speakers for some high end ones. Made a big difference, for an extra $200.
    So I won't need an aftermarket amp, and say a 10" subwoofer then? I just change the rear speakers and that's it for more bass?
  • bogalbogal Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all...

I'm interested in buying a 2006 GXP, and I'm trying to figure out which sound system to put in it. The Pontiac materials don't make this clear, so I wanted to ask the experts: does the UC6 6-CD player also play MP3s, as the standard one says it does? What about the U87? Thanks to anyone who can straighten me out on this!
  • smallegansmallegan Member Posts: 10
    No the 6 disc changer does not play MP3s.

-Ryan
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    Not sure if you can get the Monsoon system w/ the standard radio though. Looking at pontiac's web site, this system is included when you order the 6 cd changer, but it doesnt say if it comes w/ the normal stereo. However, the normal single CD player WILL play MP3 files, so i guess its a matter of choice which one to get. On one hand, you can get the awesome speaker system, but only play 6 normal cds, or go without the monsoon system, but be able to play 150+ songs from 1 cd.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    CD's?? Oh yea, thats what they had before they came out with XM radio!
    XM radio is "ok" for certain instances. If you do a lot of travelling, then it might be worth the $12.95 / month they charge for it. When I had it free for the first 3 months I owned my car, I found that the slightest obstruction would cause the system to lose its signal. I used to park underneath a 2 level parking garage, and of course, i would lose signal. Some drive-thru restaurants would tend to block it, as well as the occasional tunnel.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    Yea, Every morning on my drive to work, going 70 down the free way it will cut out for a second when i go under the overpasses. What i dont understand though is when i go to vegas and park in one of those massive parking structures 6-10 stories high, it rarely goes out.
    I agree with you completely on XM. I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. But since I have the XM band, I do subscribe to it and will continue to do so. I find myself listening to my CD's more.

Now, I would like to tell everyone about my experience with OnStar. I have had OnStar since owning my 2002 GTP and my "free" subscription on my 2006 GXP expires at midnight on August 3rd. They sent me a little telling me about the expiration and said I would not be billed until August 4th. I called and renewed and was told I wouldn't be billed until August 4th. This is a good listen to be learned -- never renew OnStar until the day before. When I got my GM credit card on Sat. they had already billed me 6 weeks in advance, $210. I called them; they were snotty. I said I wanted to talk with a supervisor. He came on. I explained the situation and told them since they took my money 6 weeks ahead of time I want a month's free of the safe and sound package. He said "no." They gave me 30 free minutes. I still wanted a month's free. I also told him that I have had OnStar since 2002 and they never pulled anything like this before. He didn't care. Still, no free one month's safe and sound package and he also told me that I shouldn't have renewed until the day before. I also told him that I would post this episode on Edmunds. He said "don't you say anything slanderous." I said I will only tell about your unethical practices. He hung up on me. I then called GM and they agreed with me completely. They put me on hold and then told me they filed a complaint with management and it will go before their management team.

That night I called OnStar again and got apologies. I said I'm sick of listening to your apologies. I said I want to talk to a supervisor again. I got another supervisor. Went through my whole story and ended up with two extra months' free of the safe and sound package, plus my 30 minutes. I just wanted to let everyone know how unethical they can be. It ended up okay hopefully. We'll see. I am supposed to get a letter confirming all of this. Chats1
    The XM probably doesn't cut out when you go to Vegas because there is probably a signal in the parking structure. Mine doesn't cut out downstairs where I park underground but does under structures while driving to work. I get no signal and then it's fine. I have called XM about this. If there is no signal, it will cut out. Same with the remote keyless entry. You can park somewhere and there's a blockage, move the car a distance and the remote is fine. Chats1
    One thing i dont understand about OnStar is why they continue to spend money needlessly. I have owned 3 different pontiacs (2 GTPs and 1 GXP) that all had OnStar, yet I NEVER subscribed to them. In my GXP i bought in June 2005, i dont even think ive ever TURNED IT ON. For some reason though, every month or so I will get literature mailed to me from OnStar, giving me information about their services, how "easy" and "cheap" it is to sign up for, etc. If I never was a paying customer of theirs, would it make sense to keep paying to mail me these things every few months??? Im sure im not the only one they mail this stuff too either. That has to be pretty expensive!
    I have always continued the OnStar coverage because of the personal calling and you have to have one of the plans to get the personal calling which I find a lot easier to use while driving than my cell phone. It used to be a priority when I purchased a new GTP (have had 3) and now the GXP, but I don't know anymore. And, also, I have never had to call them for any breakdowns, but knew if I got stuck with my car, they would be there. But so far, all my Pontiacs have been great and I never had any problems, except for the 99 GTP which my nephew got from me and a few months ago it caught on fire in the engine area and the car was totalled. He didn't care though because he already had an Infiniti and was satisfied with what he got from his insurance company for the car and then bought a used Laredo for work. But, he had it for 7 years while in school. But with my problem on Saturday, I think I may go back to Triple A. We'll see. They probably keep sending you letters because they are looking for customers. Their attitude leaves a lot to be desired. It seems I'm always complaining about something, right? But I wanted everyone to know what happened and that is what this forum is all about. Chats1
    Have any of you guys gotten those flyers for XM renewal for $77 for a year? I have until July 31 to decide. I like it, but not sure if it's worth the money. Secondly, the OnStar isn't worth it either. I THOUGHT that I had the one with directions, but found out I didn't when I used it to ask for directions. I had the complete package on my Cadillac, before this car, so assumed it had the same thing. I do like the cell call from it feature though.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I agree. I don't use nor will I subscribe to the Onstar Plans. I'd rather have AAA that follows the subscriber regardless of the car driven. I can use it when out of town in rentals or even a friends car. Cell phone wise, I have a nice one from Cingular and again, don't want a plan that's tied to my car. Nice features, but the value isn't there for me.
    No, I haven't gotten any $77 renewal from XM yet. Mine is up in Nov. I am going to wait until the last minute to renew, even though I don't think it's worth the money either. But, one of my law clerk's father's waited until the last minute and got it for $5.11 a month. I think waiting is best for both OnStar and Satellite, if you want them. Chats1
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    I'd sure like to get one of those $77 renewal certificates! I would jump on that in a minute. I love my XM. It has become a priority for me in any future purchases. No XM, no buy, for me anyway.

O&A Rock!

Mike :)
  • cudaccudac Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why you cant connect a ipod to a 2003 grandprix. And you can with all other year models. thanks.
  • abc1923abc1923 Member Posts: 6
    Hello All,
    I recently purchased 2004 Grand Prix, everything was fine until one day cd player stopped working. I can not even put a cd in. Nothing stucked in it, i have no idea what is goin on, anybody can help me?
    oh bu the way i am a new user, i hope i am posting this question at right place.Thanks all.
  • mdietrichmdietrich Member Posts: 1
    Have 02 grandprix, back speakers quit working apprx. 1 yr ago. Occasionally passenger back will work. Have been told everything from connections to amplifier,to computer. any answers, thanks.
  • rob1997rob1997 Member Posts: 5
    How many speakers do you have in the back?
    If you have only two then it you either have a bad radio or wires.
    If you have four speakers like I have then you have a low Hz amp. under your glove box you also need to check.
  • abc1923abc1923 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. I am thinking about changing my factory installed Cd player with after market cd player. I have heard that that would damage car's alarm system.Has anyone changed their Cd player, ran into any problem? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
  • og512og512 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 05 GTP and I have the 6 speaker RDS system that plays MP3 cd's. I was wanting to get the XM satelite service. Do I just go to the dealer and ask them to add it on or do I need a different factory head unit?
  • j_skillzj_skillz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to remove the factory radio from a 2006 grand prix?
  • jhupp1jhupp1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Grand Prix with a radio that occasionally skips for a second or two. It's intermittent (no pattern that I have noticed). Other than that it plays very well. Any ideas as to whether there a setting that can adjusted or if thais may be wiring or antena problem would be appreciated.
  • bigshotproducebigshotproduce Member Posts: 1
    My GTP's radio controls started acting funny. Now, when I hit volume up...it just keeps going up...and the same for volume down. ALSO -- randomly, the volume will go up or down on it's own. Does anyone know how to fix this? What part is needed or anything? It's getting to be very irritating!!! THANKS!!!
  • kbakkenkbakken Member Posts: 1
    2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

When an afternarket radio is installed, there is a bypass unit/adapter that you can buy to keep the factory beeps, as the beeps originally go through the radio. You can also get an adapter to bypass and relocate the stock radio to somewhere else (like the trunk) to retain these features. I have the first of the two.

The problem is that I think the radio keeps the date information in it. When you set the date on the DIC (Driver Information Center) with an aftermarket stereo, it displays only for a few seconds, then goes away and displays dashed lines where the date would normally be displayed. You can do this as many times as you want, but still, the date does not display permanently like before, when the stock stereo is installed.

Is there a way to get around this without having to get an adapter that bypasses and relocates the stock radio? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • harold18harold18 Member Posts: 2
    we have OnStar,but it is not activated,and it is on the analog system that is no longer available,but the phone will not turn off,and it continues to dail out GM told me my headers were gone,because the radio will not play,can someone tell me what the problem is?I would like to have my music back,my 2004 is dead without it.
  • harold18harold18 Member Posts: 2
    I found out that if you disconnect the battery cables and leave them off at least five mins. then reconnect,the phone on onstar stops dailing,and everything is fine,also.....,if you let the phone continue to dail out it WILL run down the battery,but once charged everything will work as it did before.The dealership wanted $95 for a diagnostics check,and told me it was my headers on my stereo,and that this would run me $150 to $200 to get it fixed.
    LIARS I would have spent major money,for them to disconnect the battery cables and reconnect them.Oh and in a 2004,pontiac gran prix,the fuse boxes are as follows; one under the hood ,on the passengers side panel,and two is on the passengers side,inside the car as you open the door look on the side of the dash.
  • gpgtownergpgtowner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 GT. I have the Delco AM/FM/Cassette/Equalizer deck in the dash with the 12 CD changer in the trunk and Steering Wheel controls and HUD. I have two problems:

It appears that the bulb is burnt out in the display. How do I get to it to replace it?

The CD Player is only reading 4 of 12 CD's and has troubles starting even on those 4. Has anyone had the same problems? Any advice? It is an expensive item to replace and I would like to repair it to save money if I can.
  • evanbakadievanbakadi Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what an E20 message is on the CD player? I insert a CD, it makes some noise, then the I get an E20 error, and the CD ejects.

Anyone know what this error is?

Thanks!
    The CD player may need service -- to be cleaned. I believe I had gotten that code once on one of my GTP's and that was it. chats1
  • tstockdaletstockdale Member Posts: 1
    I have taken out my factory CD player due to it skipping all the time and replaced it with a pioneer CD player but the controls on my steering wheel will not turn the volume up or seek or fm/tuner change.on the new CD player. Does anyone know what I done wrong or if I can fix it. I have enjoyed the controls on the steering wheel and dont want to lose that option.
This discussion has been closed.