Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Paint and Exterior Care

tomzieglertomziegler Member Posts: 14
edited April 2014 in Acura
I bought an Acura 2006 3 months ago. The exterior color is black. Very nice looking car.

The problem is that I had some bird droppings on the hood of the car. I washed it like a day or two later and I got this haze of the bird dropping that looks like it is under the clear coat. I tried bug/tar remover. I tried a scratchy sponge (bad idea), polishing compound. I can still see a faint outline of the bug droppings now I have scratches.

I tried scratch remover and I can still see scratchs...very frustrating.

I purchased Zaino Z5 for the scratches...but haven't used it yet.

Does anyone have any ideas to get the faint (looks cloudy remains) of the bird dropping stain and to remove the scratches?

Thank you so much. I am very frustrated!

Comments

• hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    I'm not sure how bad is your case, couple of weeks ago, there's a scratch on my fender due to bouncing stone, I used the megauiar scratch remover but still see a little scratch, then someone helped me sand down a little on the clear coat (2000 grit) and then bluff it back with 3M finesse; now it likes new and I just wax it over the weekend. (mine is royal blue, so quite easy to see scratches)

You may want to check out this link:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html
  • tomzieglertomziegler Member Posts: 14
    Thank you very much for the link and help. Can you give me more details on this 3M finesse? There are many types out there from a machine version to a finishing material..which one did you use and should I get? Do you apply it by hand and have to buff it out with a buffer? Thanks again!
    It is finesse-it II finish material, I think they are just different sizes. Since my scratch was wet sanded, it can only be buffed back using the machine polisher. You may want to check with some local shop who do auto detailing or paintless dent repair, they may be able to help you for a small fee.
  • justinsblacktljustinsblacktl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Acura TL, NightHawk Black Pearl exterior (purchased April 2005). I got the Simoniz option on the exterior. A few months after I had my TL I noticed 2 spots on my hood about the size of a quarter, and 1 spot on my rear deck/trunk lid. These spots look like stains on the paint surface kinda like marks left by water...a clear noticable spot. This really ticked me off b/c I regularly wash my car and never "let it go" The Simoniz comes w/5 year warranty so the dealership repaired these 3 spots for me at no charge. Well, here it is about a year or so later and I have another one of these spots on my hood, my rear deck/trunk lid, and below each headlight (multiple spots/blotches below each headlight!)
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem????
    I am thinking it's an application issue, rather than a malfunction on Simoniz's part because my Dad spoke w/the Vice-President of Simoniz. The place where my dad works p/t supplies car wash products to car washes throughout the U.S. (Kleen-Rite Corp. in Columbia, PA) and from time to time the V.P. of Simoniz stops at Kleen-Rite. My Dad spoke to him about my problem approx. 2 weeks ago and he said that it sounds like the bodyshop did not clean/prep my car surface properly before applying the Simoniz!
    Anyway, I have to get these spots repaired. I would appreciate any feedback...Thanks!
  • bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    tomziegler: You have my sympathy over bird droppings. I have had the same problem, and the only thing that has improved the condition (partially) has been repeated applications of Zaino. Use both the polish and the wash additive. After six months, I still have a faint residual shadow, but it seems to be disappearing gradually. Caution: avoid using abrasives of any sort; they usually create more problems than they solve.

Bryncerdd
  • john19john19 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. I have not had any simonizing. I believe it is a defect in the paint, but Acura is telling me that it is from bird droppings.

I also have the same problem on Honda civic wuith the same paint Black Pearl
  • denice17denice17 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased in October 2005. Since march I have had the paint bubble and repaired twice. At the first time of the paint bubbling a repeatly told the dealer that this car has been in an accident. nothing was said by the dealer. Now, more issues how happened and they have said to me "this car has been in an accident". The issue have to do with Subframe. What are my rights? I no longer want the car. I would have never have purchased this car if I had known it was in an accident. Do I have a right to a full refund?
    Thank you
    Denice
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Sounds silly, but call your local Attorney General's office

They'll be able to answer that question and advice you on what steps to take next.

Good luck
  • chaperoahchaperoah Member Posts: 30
    Anyone had any mobile detailing done in San Diego and willing to refer me to them? Gotta be good and thorough.
  • dofferdoffer Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2006 TL (pearl white) that I purchased in March 2006. I recently noticed a small paint chip and two paint blisters above the passenger side rear bumper (above the tailpipe). The paint chip is about a half inch long and narrow. The paint blisters are the size of an eraser head and looks like its starting to crack. If i bring it in to the dealer, I'm hoping that they handle this under the warranty--would they have to repaint the whole bumper or simply repaint the area where the crack and paint blister appeared? I'm a little concerned that if I do nothing, it will get worse. Any suggestions? thanks
  • ecnirpecnirp Member Posts: 20
    Recently purchased an 06 Acura TL with about 6K miles. Just finished waxing and the paint is not as smooth as normal for a new wax. It has a gritty feel to it. It's silver in color and looks fine but just doesn't feel like its' just been waxed. Could it be the polish/wax I used? It's never given me problems on Fords/Chrysler/Toyota. It's Mequier's.
    "Recently purchased an 06 Acura TL with about 6K miles. Just finished waxing and the paint is not as smooth as normal for a new wax. It has a gritty feel to it. It's silver in color and looks fine but just doesn't feel like its' just been waxed. Could it be the polish/wax I used? It's never given me problems on Fords/Chrysler/Toyota. It's Mequier's."

Your finish should not feel gritty at all.
    There's obviously a contaminant causing that gritty feel.
    This can be caused by many things... tree sap, rail and/or brake dust, rain, droppings, believe it or not... bark mulch spores...the list goes on and on.

Here's what you need to do.
    Wash the car. Wash it using Dawn or Palmolive dish soap.
    This will remove any wax/polish from the car.
    Next, you will need to clay the vehicle. If you've never done it before, it's not any where near and daunting as it sounds. You can pick up a clay/lubricant kit at most car supply stores, and yes, Mequiar's makes one as well.

Follow the directions and when you are done with the entire vehicle, wash it again.
    You can use any car wash you wish, but I personally suggest something that is ph balanced.
    I'm liking the new Mequair's NXT car wash.

Once the car has been cleaned, clayed and then cleaned again, it's time for your wax.
    Once done, and if done correctly, you will have no more gritty feel.
    The clay bar is designed to remove any contaminants from the finish and will leave you with an amazingly smooth feel.
    You should clay the car at least once a year.

Follow the directions, and be sure to knead the bar as you use it, keeping a clean surface as you work.

Good luck. :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let me just add two points to your excellently described procedure: (1)non-abrasive clay needs to be used (abrasive clay also exists and should never be used in this situation) and (2) If you ever drop the piece of clay you are using, THROW IT AWAY. It has now become abrasive and you don't want to take the chance of scratching your finish. I know you know this, but others might not. ;)
  • jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    Meguairs also sells car cleaner wax, then wax, then polish. Basically 3 steps. :) My brother has a black Honda Pilot 4 years old and looks new. He has everything! :)
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    I just bought a new 06 TL yesterday, wife & I drove to the beach. Just LOVE it !!! So quiet, smooth, powerful and got 26 MPG on the first tank of gas. Anyway, need some ideas as to when I should first wax the car. So many brands out there.....which is a good one to use ? How about treating the dash and leather seats for the first time ? When ? I will appreciate any help.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Congrats on the new TL, what color did you get? I get my interior professionally detailed. I also have the details guys wash it, know what they are doing - I don't. :blush:
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    Got the black on black.....great color w/a blue underneath.

I usually like to do the cleaning myself.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I would suggest waiting on applying that first coat of wax.

Dash- is yours faded or blotchy? If so, Acura sells a specific protectant for that problem.

I use Lexol for dash and leather.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Congrats on the TL! I recommend you review:

www.zainostore.com

Fabulous stuff, especially on a black TL (mine is an '05 Abyss Blue). There are forums here dedicated to Zaino...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Black is very nice! I have a bad back, so I can't was it myself or I would. I could was the roof and hood fine, but any bending is out of the question. :cry:
    I would NOT wait for the first wax application.
    New cars come covered with rail dust, brake bust and who knows what else. Over time, it eats the finish away.

Take the car home and wash it twice.
    Be sure to use separate water buckets for soap and rinsing the mitt/sponge. (I prefer a microfiber mitt)
    Clay the car being sure to use only clean clay. Knead it, keep it clean and throw it out if you drop it.
    Once done with the clay, wash it again.

The car will then be ready for you choice of wax or sealant, regardless of what you choose.

Just don't take the car home and wash/wax it.
    You're just sealing the contaminants in!

The Black Acura TL is absolutely beautiful... but it's gonna take some dedication to keep it that way.
    And no, that doesn't mean $10- at the automatic car wash.

Zaino does work very well as LD suggested.
    Go to the site, read through the information, and understand it before applying.

Happy to share more details if needed.
    ooops....good catch! I meant that he should wait before applying the first coat of protectant on the dash until all the chemicals have come through [if] he had a faded or blotchy looking dash.
    LOL

Yeah... in other words, 2 years.

sad, but true :blush:
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I requested that our 2 new Acuras (TL and TSX) be delivered to us with the protective film STILL ON. Why? Because the paint swirls and scratches start at the dealer! Just watch the guy rushing to prep new cars! I can guarantee that the wash cloths and towels are part polyester and dirty from the previous car - both of which start the swirl marks and scratch the paint.

I easily removed the film, and then clayed each car to remove the contaminants, and finished with the incomparable and easy Zaino products. They are only HAND washed with car washing soap - NO detergent, and re-zainoed every 4-6 months as needed.

Both cars are 3+ years old, and are ultra-shiny, slick and swirl-free - better than showroom condition. It is really important to periodically clay the car, and it is not so difficult.

A tip for inside is the old stand-by - Lemon Pledge. Spray in on a soft towel and use it for vinyl, leather, plastic and chrome, and buff off. It is self cleaning, not shiny and smells nice!
  • jmdmd1975jmdmd1975 Member Posts: 2
    WOW .. I wish I read this before I ever washed my (purchased new) 2003 TL type S, black with blue under. It really is, er, was gorgeous. It has horrible swirl marks, which were remarked on at service about a month after I purchased it, and does have the same kind of marks described in other posts including the water marks and the white bubble marks. Also, the paint is failing in some areas and I've seen bubbles, which unfortunately break before I can get to an Acura dealer. The "district guy" came out and looked at my car and said all of the issues were environmental, including the paint failure (rocks, says he) on the back of the car. OK, I admit it here, I drive backwards down the highway at 70 :mad:
    Acura has given me NO satisfaction and now I'm out of warranty. Oh, I take it back, I did get a thing of touch-up paint. I love my car but looking at the paint makes me want to :cry:
    I'm going to try some, all of the things suggested in here to see if I can bring any of it back.
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    I just noticed a chip on the driver's side front fender right on the edge above the headlight. @$@$%#$@%%@$%$@!@#!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? Is there any risk of peeling or anything like that? I'm so miffed. I've owned 3 Acuras and this is the first time I've gotten a chip in one. Is touch up paint the only answer?
  • rone3rone3 Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up our diamond white pearl 2007 acura tl yesterday. We thoroughly examined the entire car for chips/dings and found none. However, inspection was accomplished in blinding sunlight (which at the time I thought was advantageous). This morning (in the shade), I immediatly noticed a very distinct difference in the shade of paint on both the rear and front plastic bumpers when compared to the rest of the metal panels of the car. It is quite obvious that the difference in the shade of paint begins with the plastic bumpers themselves at the exact abutment to the rest of the metal car panels. Has anyone had a similar situation? Is this an anomaly on just our car? Is it possibly a factory mismatching of plastic bumpers painted with one paint lot versus the rest of the car painted with a different paint lot? Is it anyway near likely that both bumpers were damaged somehow, in transit from the factory/on the dealer's lot and that the dealer removed the bumpers from the car, repainted them (with a different paint lot) off of the car, and them reinstalled them? If they did do that and sold it to us without disclosing that information, is it legal? Obviously, we find this whole situation disconcerting. Is there any recourse other than asking the dealer to repaint the bumpers to try to achieve a better match to the rest of the car? Auto body painters have always told me that the only way to get a decent paint match is to "fade" the paint into the adjoining panels. That solution, from my experience, is very, very unappealing and would only worsen the problem. Should we start our attempt at some sort of recourse with Acura Corportate Headquarters? Are they concerned and responsive to customer dissatisfaction? Before deciding on an Acura product, we did a lot of reading about different marques. One reason we did not choose an Infiniti product was the apparent indifference to customer complaints that we read about. If anyone has had a like or similar paint mismatch as I have oulined above, we would appreciate your sharing the experience and any advice on how best attempt a satisfactory fix. In short, PLEASE HELP!
    The bumper mismatch with the WDP color is a very common complaint. Many folks try to get the bumpers repainted under warranty from the dealership. Some succeed others don't. Eventually, people either live with it, keep getting it repainted to match as close as possible or can't deal with it and get rid of the car.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Wow, acura still has not addressed this issue as of yet.I had the previous generation TLS in the WDP and many owners were complaining back then about the same problem.My car in particular was garage kept at home and at the train station I park so the UV effective was minimal and further more the polymers that I used helped protect the paint even .
  • mdbmwmdbmw Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 Acura TL, White Diamond in October 2005. I saw one in the bright sunshine at Crown Acura in Clearwater, FL. I test drove a silver one. 2 days later I decided to purchase. I drove it home and pulled into my garage. I got out to admire my new car and I was shocked. It was awful. My beautiful new white car has yellow bumpers! This is not exceptable on a $36,000 car! I phoned the dealer and they said that is just the way the paint looks on the plastic compared to the metal panels. I owned 3 Hondas and a 1997 Acura CL, White. None of those cars had this problem. I had thought about having them painted, but what if they still cannot match. This is a brand new car. Acura did not have a solution for me. I felt like I got taken! My sales guy neglected to tell me this about the white. I see that the Silver doesn't match either. I think Black is the only color that matches. White is the worst! I traded a BMW 325 for the TL. That was a mistake. I kept the TL until January 2007 and traded it in for a BMW Z4. Which I love. Lost 10 grand. I am very disappointed in Honda. I was a loyal fan, but I will never order another Honda product again. Lexus would not put out a product like this. Not acceptable. I figured when they updated the TL for 2007 they would have corrected this problem. I see it still exists. I wish I could help you, but I choose to live with it and then trade it in. I guess the car was just not for me. Turning radius is terrible as well. Good Luck getting this resolved.
  • rone3rone3 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for your comments. Took the opportunity to consult with my cousin, who has an automotive body shop and has been painting cars, studying emerging paint technology, and using a plethora of paint, primer, paint related etc., products over the past 45 years or so. His take was that the color was a good match - won't bore you with his detailed treatise on spray gun pressure/application technique, robot vs human spraying, spraying bumpers/mirrors/ground effects off the car at the factory, plastic vs metal, metallic flakes suspeneded in the paint that may be standing vertically or laying horizontally, angle of view when looking at the various parts of the car, light refraction, ad infinitum, ad nauseum!
    Nothwithstanding the above, called Acura Corporate and complained, who gave me a case number and advised me to call the dealer. Called same and dealer general manner and zone manger reply was, "That's the product; there's nothing we can do." Based on my cousin's advice to leave well enough alone because the "fix", e.g., repainting may be even worse, that's what I'm doing about it - living with it.
    Having decided that, of course I couldn't help collecting a little anecdotal evidence. So on a shopping trip, wherein I made six separate stops at different stores, I checked cars in the parking lots - as well as observing cars stopped in traffic. Here's a list of makes that I noticed having the same problem: Honda, Toyota, Audi, Cadillac, Chevrolet, yes, Lexus, Volkswagen, BMW, Chrysler, Infiniti, and Ford.
    My cousin had told me that mismatching paint was an industry-wide problem. I guess that I had to find out for myself. In any case, light to medium colors are the worst, while the darker colors are less noticeable. I agree, apparently to skirt the problem, everyone should buy a black car! I do find minimal comfort that I'm in the same boat with millions of others, but nonetheless, there sits in our garage a White Pearl 2007 Acura TSX, and I defy you to find a difference in the bumper paint color vs the rest of the car. Go figure!
  • mdbmwmdbmw Member Posts: 2
    Looks like you have researched this.....I have noticed other car companies have the same issue, but not to the extreme as the white on the TL. The Cadillac CTS in white is way off as well. I guess I just expect better from a Honda product. Hope you are able to live with it. I wasn't.
    Sounds like you got the same response from the dealer I got. They must have had so many complaints. I believe you made the right decision not to try and repaint. That was not an option I wanted to consider.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Any one having a problem with the front plastic gray grill. Just purchased a white TL and the gray grill looks like it has streaks in it like when you armoral something and miss some spots. Yes i noticed the white on the bumpers are not an exact match with the rest of the paint.
  • cpa3cpa3 Member Posts: 89
    I just purchased my new TL with Navi and I am looking for some advice on the following:
    Are new cars waxed at the dealers?
    How soon do I need to wax the car?
    What products/dressings do you recommend for keeping the tires looking great without causing lots of dirt and grime after a few days.?
    Any suggestions for washing and waxing without going overboard? (I am looking for steps and product recommendations)
    How about a cleaner for the dash? (not greasy)
    Thanks
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Zainostore.com for information and great products! There are also threads here regarding your query. If you do a keyword search using "Zaino" a few threads will be presented.

I really should get some kind of royalty/referral fee from Sal...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• cpa3cpa3 Member Posts: 89
    I just purchased a new TL. The finish is shure nice and smooth. When do I need to wax a new car for the first time. I have heard wait one year, wait six months, do it now. Do the dealers wax them or put something on it to make it feel so smooth?
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I dont think dealers wax new cars unless you pay for some kind of paint protection package. I just bought an 07 TL white. It is far from smooth . I am going to use mothers clay bar system. Claqy and wax this weekend
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    Just purchased a full nose mask for my TL to use only on long trips on the highway. The instructions repeatedly mention that the paint could be affected if not properly waxed or if any moisture at all gets underneath the mask. Knowing never to drive it in the rain, what about condensation in the evenings/mornings? Has anyone had any experiences with this?
  • acurahelperacurahelper Member Posts: 1
    Hello gvb, don't leave the nose mask on for too long. You can cook your hood over time and the paint will look very bad.
    I had a bra for my 89 Z-24 and following the manufacturer's warnings and suggestions, I was ALWAYS installing and removing that thing.
    Chance of rain - remove it.
    Sunny out - install it
    Wanna wash the car - remove it
    My paint never faded, but I was a slave to that car's finish and was always washing, polishing, waxing, etc. (a little known vice of mine - drives the crazy wife nuts)

Over time, it just got to be too much.
    Also, getting the car up over 75 mph, it always shuttered a little on the edges, no matter how tight it was.
    Those things are yesterday's news and that's why you hardly see them anymore.

Do the right thing and get a 3M clear paint shield installed.
    I did it for my new G35 and I'm super happy with the outcome.
    I will never buy another new car again without it.
    Clear paint protection is the right way to go, back in the early 90s I had full nose mask on my eclipse and the thing prevent the air to cool down the front (that car doesn't have lots of openings in the front), it actually brings the temperature of the engine way too high in the summer, not to mention chance of sand/moisture getting underneath of the mask on the highway. Now I have my paint protection film for over a year now, happy camper.
  • nim4evernim4ever Member Posts: 5
    Anyone ever have problems with the black trim around the windows separating? Hard to describe. It almost looks like a protective plastic covering of some sort is separating from the paint somehow. I'm sure it's due to the weather as it has never been garaged. I'm wondering what it will take to repair as it is looking sad. I have tried to look at some other TL's same age to see if they too exhibit issue but have not seen anything so far. Any comments would be appreciated...First time poster.
    Nim,

Post a pic, if you can
    Ugh... I'm not really sure what I'm looking at from that pic.
    I see the narrow black weather strip in the center, but I'm not sure that's what your talking about.
    From your description, it sounds more like years of UV abuse, but I'm not sure from that pic, what I'm really looking at. :(
    Like I said, hard to describe. It is almost like a film that was originally on all the black trim around all the windows that is separating. I could compare it to a screen protector on a LCD screen on a phone or PDA that is showing it's age. Some spots worse than others and in one place it is starting to actually crack. It looks like it could be peeled off but at what cost in terms of appearance. It's only around the trim on the windows and becoming quite unsightly.
    Regards,
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    If it's the rubber trim, try some rubber conditioner (black magic, armor all) Replacing all that rubber seems like it would be $$$. Its not the paint right? If so, that may be covered under warranty.
    Okay Nim... I'm gonna be a real pain in the butt.

I want some more pics....better pics. LOL

Take some from different distances, so I know what I'm looking at and also have the close-up to go by.

If it's what I think it is, no creams, conditioners or waxes are gonna help, but I have to know what I'm seeing first.
    Hello Scott,
    I posted 4 new pictures. I actually discovered on the passenger side the material is actually drying out and cracking pretty bad. It is obvious the window pillars/trim is black plastic and not paint and it is drying out from the weather. I hope to stop by the Acura dealer this week and ask about it. The one window is very bad and has already cracked and is peeling. Maybe I will luck out and they have some warranty coverage for it???
    Thanks for your interest...
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    That appears to be a defect in the paint/surface coating of the black material (which I believe is plastic). I'd be interested to know if that is covered under warranty. Let us know.
This discussion has been closed.