Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Transmission

Comments

• boss302jboss302j Member Posts: 15
    Same exact thing happened to me, the splined piece that turns the pump shaft stripped out in the torque converter. I replaced my converter and all is well now. I did it myself and it cost me about $250.00. 150.00 for a rebuilt converter, $50.00 for fluid and the rest was new front seal, filter etc. I would say if you aren't a mechanic I would not even think of doing this yourself. Expect to pay a decent amount for labor.
    My guess is the splined piece in the converter that drives the pump drive shaft stripped and that is all that happened. The tranny was probably fine, just needed the converter.
    That is the exact same symptoms mine had when this happened. That is all mine needed. I would hate to think how many trannnys get sold just because of the torque converter failure. From what I understand, the torque converters are good about doing that.
  • bunnytwobunnytwo Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Windstar with 125k miles is in the shop waiting on transmission #4. At 30k miles I replaced my first tranny while under warranty.

At 95k miles I purchased my third tranny. Recently the over-drive light started flashing at 125k miles and it was time for the trans fluid to be replaced, so I took it in to the dealer. I got the call that my #3 tranny was shot, and then, Ford has taken a week to decide what to do for me.

Ford has decided to rebuild this transmission going against the mechanic's rec of replacing it. My warranty on this tranny expires in 5k miles and you know I will need another one soon.

I know the cruise control recall was replaced a long time ago on my Windstar. So something is causing my transmission to fail repeatedly. I drive 20 miles to work and back and that is it!. This is no excuse.

All of my transmissions were replaced by the dealer. After hearing of the issues with Windstar's trans I decided to keep it repaired at the dealer so I would not be accused of using substandard quality work on my trans. It apparently is not the mechanic but the poorly designed trans from Ford.

I am a victim of the 1995 Windstar that blew a head gasket and Ford made me a deal to swap it out for the 2000 Windstar at a reduced cost. We also own a Taurus SHO and Five Hundred. Both Windstars have repeatedly been in the shop. The Taurus needed one transmission after 9 years and 120k miles.

Since Ford decided to REBUILD a rebuilt trans rather than replace my 3rd transmission, I have decided to say good-bye to Ford. I have been a loyal customer but no more. :mad:
  • yvonyvon Member Posts: 5
    it happened to my 2000 lx exactly same as yours. can only backward, not forward. replaced trans and costed $2500 for a used
  • shemar2shemar2 Member Posts: 1
    About a week ago, I took my van to a car wash and had the undercarraige washed too. It was below freezing. Later in the day, the trans and ovd lights started flashing on the dash. In a while the trans started slipping, then stopped and wouldn't go. I turned the van off and then back on and it moved for about 1 block, then it would stop again. Turned it off then on and same thing would happen. Did this all the way home. I towed it to trans shop and he told me that shavings would get into trans and then it would freeze it up and stop working. He said that when I would turn it off the shavings would go to the bottom and when i started it up, they would get into the trans again and shut it off. I said just change the fluid and lets get the shavings out. Reluctantly he said he would. Next day I picked it up and it worked fine for the next day and 1/2. I got it home and checked the fluid and it was barely showing on the stick. To make a long story short, the van is doing the same thing and I don't think that they really changed the fluid and filter like they said. Can someone help me?
    manuel
  • isd4isd4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Windstar with 76,000 miles, last week I was turning the corner and the trans shifted into neutral. So far it cost me $2,500.00 to have it rebuilt at AAMCO. Since having it built, the O/D light flashes and the check engine light comes on after 20 minutes of driving (But it resets with the button and when you shut off and restart the vehicle). This is a new problem since having the transmission rebuilt. I have noticed that this is an ongoing problem with the Winstar since 1999. Ford will not stand by it's product. I contacted them and was told they would not provide any help, but did recommend I look at the Ford website for information on incentives for new FORD vehicles. Good Luck with yours.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I don't think it is reasonable to expect Ford to do anything since you had the transmission rebuilt at AAMCO.
  • mfacdgba33mfacdgba33 Member Posts: 19
    i was told on here that my torque convertor lockup is messed up causeing my jerking and fluttering while maintaining a constant speed. where is this located at and what does it look like and what does it accually do.
  • happyfacecarolhappyfacecarol Member Posts: 2
    I have 1999 Ford Windstar and lately after driving for awhile, when I stop at a light or stop sign, then try and take off it will either slip or jerk as if it does not want to go in gear. Then it will grab hold and go. It does not do this all the time. Then at the next stop light it may not do it. Just spearatically. It is driving me crazy. Anyone with answers. I am afraid to leave town. Thanks in advance :confuse:
  • smithasmitha Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2003 in 2004, have had to replace the transmission, airconditioning unit..including compressor, 5 alternators..yes 5. the rear windows don't work, the heat had to be fixed in the front, warranty has run out. FORD states there is nothing wrong with this vehicle... I guess they have their blinders on, last ford i'll ever purchase. :sick: :lemon:
  • hollowaytatahollowaytata Member Posts: 3
    My brake light has been on for awhile but now I have a loud humming or something the faster you drive the louder it gets and I don't know if it is the brakes or if it is something else cause my husband has already changed the front brakes not even a year ago and it sounds like it is coming from the front I just don't know what it is. I don't want to pay to have something done and it not be the problem. Any ideas please help. :confuse:
    check the ball bearings, cv boots, and ball joints. it may just take some packing with grease or you may have a bad cv joint or ball joint. The ball joints and cv joints are factory sealed so you cannot add grease to these but you really must have the ball bearings inspected to make sure they are not broken or burnt up. If it is the ball bearings and they get worse you are risking the wheel to seize up. You also might also want to make sure there isn't a rock or a piece of metal from the wheel manifold isn't rubbing the disc. After all this is checked you should find your problem.
  • crs1890crs1890 Member Posts: 1
    hi i know it was 2 years ago but what was the problem with the transmission on your 98 ford windstar because the same thing is halping to me thanks you can email me at sharpie1990@verizon.net

Hello All;

My Ford Windstar (3.0L) has approximately 122,000 miles on it and has recently developed a serious transmission problem. The van will not start when Drive "D", or the first gear "1", or reverse gear "R" is selected. The only way it starts is to select the second gear "2" and move to "D" when it picks up speed. It then drives well and can even do reverse parking.

This causes probles at traffic lights, stop signs and other stoppages. I have to manually move the gear selector to "2" and then move it back to "D" when the van is moving.

It appears that my transmission is on its last legs. Any ideas/sugegstions for fixing this problem will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
  • 07exlres07exlres Member Posts: 11
    Mine is a 1999 3.0L Windstar w/180,000 miles. Tranny runs fine on initial start, other than maybe a bit more than expected of a clunk upon shifting out of Park into Reverse or Drive when cold.

After a period of driving (usually 20-30 minutes -- possibly heat related?) the O/D light begins to flash. At speed, there is no perceptible change in transmission performance when the light begins to flash. As I continue driving with the light flashing, if I slow to a stop and/or start from a stop, the downshift to/upshift from 1st/2nd is abrupt, especially if accelerating briskly. Remaining upshifts/downshifts not involving 1st gear seem normal.

Shutting the ignition off and restarting immediately will turn the flashing light off for a while but the flashing returns shortly, unless the vehicle sits long enough to cool, in which case the 20-30 minute time frame reasserts itself.

From what I have read, this "sounds" like a Transmission Range Sensor issue. Anyone have an opinion in favor or otherwise? I assume an OBDII can't read tranny codes. Would a Ford dealer be able to confirm the TRS as the culprit by reading a code? Wonder what that would cost? Might be cheaper to just replace the TRS and see what happens.

Thoughts?
  • moonie2moonie2 Member Posts: 3
    Well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had the same thing happen right after I picked up my van after having the tranny completely rebuilt. Turns out it was a bad nuetral safety switch. Actually the OBDII can read it.

Since I just paid $2500 american to have my tranny rebuilt, they fixed it for free. I think it is around $100-$150 to have it fixed.

Good luck!
    try checking the speed sensor on the trans the clunk from park is usually caused by the trans being in a bind while in park. try setting your parking break before you let off the brake and shut the engine down this will prevent the trans from getting into a bind.
  • dolvoldolvol Member Posts: 2
    I was driving my Ford Windstar and all was fine, no slipping no jerking, nothing. Today I went to the store and all of a sudden I went from Drive to Nuetral and it will not go into any gear other than park. The shifter moves normally but nothing happpens. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or similar problem.

Sounds exactly like what mine did, splines inside the torque converter stripped out that drive the pump drive shaft. I put a converter in mine and has been fine. Find a reputable shop if you aren't going to check it out yourself. I have the feeling a lot of trannys get sold due to this problem.
  • dolvoldolvol Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much. My mechanic says that is the problem. :shades:
  • bozie100bozie100 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my trans. Was wondering what you found out also. Please email if you can bozie100@hotmail.com

Hello All;

My Ford Windstar (3.0L) has approximately 110,000 miles on it and has recently developed a serious transmission problem. The van will not start when Drive "D", or the first gear "1", or reverse gear "R" is selected. The only way it starts is to select the second gear "2" and move to "D" when it picks up speed. It then drives well and can even do reverse parking.

This causes probles at traffic lights, stop signs and other stoppages. I have to manually move the gear selector to "2" and then move it back to "D" when the van is moving.

It appears that my transmission is on its last legs. Any ideas/sugegstions for fixing this problem will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sri.
  • windstarslewindstarsle Member Posts: 2
    After driving for a while transmission disengages. Pull over turn engine off, restart, van drives normal. After few minutes or if speed slows down at traffic light or to make a turn, transmission disengages again. Engine runs fine. After restart engine and transmission run again after slowing down, etc.
  • windstarslewindstarsle Member Posts: 2
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    I have had my 00 transmission serviced every 30K or so.

Just before my last flush, at 130K miles, I noticed the TC shutter and a slight slip in OD when the van was under a load (mostly uphill in 4th gear).

After the flush, these problems disappeared. I am not sure how long this thing can go!

Maint Record:

30K drop plan and replace filter

63K Flush only

93K Flush and filter change

130K Flush only
  • cdog707cdog707 Member Posts: 4
    I see that other people have similar problems to mine. The tranny seems to have lost 3rd and sometime 4th gear, I can start in 2nd, get enough speed going, and put it in drive, sometimes it slips and I have to slow down and do it again. I overloaded it with about 600 lbs or more of tools one day and it messed it up.
    I was just wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to pull the tranny out, Ive done many others and I am a good mechanic but never pulled any front wheel drives, so I'm lacking some confidence. I can get it rebuilt for about $600. but I gotta remove and install it myself.
    I have a 2000 Ford Windstar, 3.8 v6. Does anyone know what other years of trans are compatable? Prefferably will a '97 fit a 2000?
    I have a similar problem, so I was just curious, what was the diagnosis?
  • conquestconquest Member Posts: 4
    thought i would give this a shot here,see if anyone has any advice, besides dumping this 2000 Ford Windstar. It has a 3.8 in it too by the way. The transmission shifts fine,no clunking,between shifts,or hard shifts,just this whining all the way through all the gears. I took it to a transmission shop,they put it on the diagnostic machine,said it was the transmission range sensor. The odometer isn't working either or the cruise control. The transmission fluid is clean,no burnt smell to it. any help would be appreciated
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    You most likely have the classic brake fluid leak from the bottom (at the sensor) of the brake fluid reservoir

The fluid leaks down into the wiring that impacts the CC and other electronics.

There are a number of references to this issue in this forum. Good Luck!
  • theboss2theboss2 Member Posts: 1
    just looking around saw your problem. i just changed mine in the driveway.not to hard average skill in my opinion can do this.but take your time dont rush. i left motor in van. you will need a 30mm socket to remove axle nuts.and a 18mm for motor mounts all the rest regular tools will do it. make shore all harness wires are unplugged.one more thing it took me 3 jacks to lift and line it back up slowly take your time. i spent 800. to rebuild mine way better than a used one .van runs fine now.wifes happy again hope this helps . theboss2
  • mommabear21mommabear21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Windstar. The transmission has been good till about 3 days ago. I drove te 20 miles to pick my hubby up and it drove fine. I let t sit and idle while I waited on him because it was like 5 degrees outside. I sat there maybe 20 minutes. After we started going it wouldnt shift out of first. We drove 20 miles at 15-20 mile an hour because it wouldnt shift. We got home and when I went out the next morning it drove fine. I went to pick him up and again let it run while I waited on him and as soon as we left it started it again. I drove it yesterday and it was fine. Why would it not be shifting after I let it sit and idle?
  • mindy6mindy6 Member Posts: 2
    I JUST BOUGHT A 2002 FORD WINDSTAR SPORT VAN.WELL I STOPED AT A STOP SIGN THEN I WENT TO TURN AND ALL SUDDEN THE VAN MADE A CLUNKY CLUNKY NOICE AND NOW IT WONT MOVE.IT STARTS UP GOOD BUT IT WONT MOVE.WHEN I START IT IT MAKES A AWFUL NOICE .IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE.NEED TO NO WHAT YOU THINK IT IS
  • mindy6mindy6 Member Posts: 2
    WE JUST BOUGHT A 2002 FORD WINDSTAR SPORT VAN HAD IT FOR 1 DAY WENT TO STOP AT A STOP SIGN WHEN I GOT READY TOTURN ALL SUDDEN WE HEARD A CLUNKY CLUNKY NOICE AND THATS WAS IT THE VAN WOULDNT MOVE IT STARTS UP GOOD BUT WONT MOVE IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE
  • hoppy2784hoppy2784 Member Posts: 2
    I am going to remove the transmission from a 99 windstar and would like to know about the best way, I have heard that you can take out from top with engine attache and also take out from the bottom with the engine being supported from above. I have removed front wheel drive transmissions before but not from any vans. any ideas will be appreciated.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    When my engine had to be removed for gasket replacement, I was told they took the engine/trans assembly out through the bottom. This work was done at a Tech College. Ours is a '97.
    I pulled mine out the bottom, I have a 2000
  • ecire425ecire425 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Windstar and yesterday went to city walk i started to see the check engine flash and the car was rattling like shaking a bit but doesn't get heated up or anything and the oil on both the transmission and engine are fine. When in parking its fine but when shifted to any other one it begins to shake a bit. Any info on what could it be would be great. Thank You
  • hoppy2784hoppy2784 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I think I am going to remove from the bottom with engine supported.
  • scott119scott119 Member Posts: 3
    Our 1999 Windstar transmission began slipping today. It happens when we are accelerating from a stop, the engine revs as if the transmission is in neutral. If we back of the accelerator and try again, the transmission catches and goes fine. Again, but every time we stop it does it again.
  • bertclarkbertclark Member Posts: 1
    my 95 windstar is doing the same thing. however, i changed the fluid and filter and it still will not shift out of 1 st gear only if i manually shift out of 1 into 2, but then it will not go into high gear. what can be wrong?
  • jeff371jeff371 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 windstar that starts and runs perfect. It will not pull in any gears it just quit pulling going down the road with no signs at all....Dropped the tranny pan and it was clean with no shavings or anything. Is there a sensor that would cause this?
    It sounds like you might have the same problem I had, the torque converter stripped out. You could pull the trans cooler lines off of the tranny and start it up and see if it shoots fluid out or take off the side tranny pan and take the valve body/pump off. there is a shaft that runs from the converter to the pump, If you can turn it with little effort the converter is probably stripped out. supposed to be a common problem. If that is the case all you need is a converter.
  • conquestconquest Member Posts: 4
    had to replace mine,pump was gone and a bearing, 2200.00 later
  • louisg47louisg47 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced a trans in a 99 w/3.8 with a running unit from a wreck-I found out later that there are two different trans. for that year-the one i took out was working,but slipping --the new one will not go forward unless the overdrive plug is disconnected-its probably the other trans-is there anything i can do with the wiring or plug etc. to make this trans work==thanks
  • maroonedsailormaroonedsailor Member Posts: 2
    This one is a bit weird. This is a 2000 Windstar with an xaod metric. Same transmission my 98 has (17 bolt pan) but with the 3.8 instead of the 3.0 liter engine. Starts and runs like normal for about 1/2 mile, gets hot, starts flashing the od light and slipping. Stop and it pukes brown fluid all over the ground which does not smell burned. The fluid in the trans itself is still bright red. Let it cool down, add fluid and repeat every 1/2 mile (more going down hill ;-). This is acting like one of the cooling lines is pinched but I can't see anything wrong. Fluid seems to be coming from top of the transaxle. Anyone got an idea? This is the "s" trans not the "n" one with 19 bolt pan. It will probably need to be rebuilt regardless after overheating but I'd still like to understand the cause.
  • kringeringkringering Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 windstar with a 3.8 engine with a bad trans I have a friend with a 97 with a 3.0 will the transmission match up
  • kringeringkringering Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 windstar with a 3.8 engine with a bad trans I have a friend with a 97 with a 3.0 will the transmission match up
  • troundatrounda Member Posts: 5
    just wondering do i have to remove the cowl to take the tranny out it looks like ihave to remove the sub frame thanks
    Yes you do have to remove the subframe. I believe I did remove the cowl . Not sure if it is a must though.
  • nimbusbrainnimbusbrain Member Posts: 2
    At a range of around 40 - 45 mph, the trans will "chatter", meaning it feels like you are driving over a rumble strip. It seems like the transfer of power from the engine to the wheels is interrupted (torque converter). Further, there is an alternate symptom where the chatter is lazier, more as if you have hit one or two small potholes where there is no pothole. This latter symptom can also occur at higher speeds, such as 60+ and also occurs on hills. Had fluids replaced - no difference. Also, electrical problems are occuring as well, especially the battery light coming on and going off. Have seen the headlights dim and brighten as well. Also, the ABS & emergency brake lights will come on for no apparent reason. Mechanic claims trans is shot. Not so sure that electrical issues are not related - they seem to have happened at the same time. Any feedback on similar experiences appreciated.
  • camicool2000camicool2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 windstar that I have owened for about 5 yrs. now and I started having shifting problems about 4 yrs. ago. Took my van to 2 diff. trans shops to have them tell me I needed a new trans and that it is slipping. Well it is 4 yrs later now and IA finally burned that trans out cause no one could diagnose my problem correctly. My rebuilt trans is about 9 months old now and my van is not shifting right again. i was told there is a sensor that goes bad and causes this problem but I don't know what sensor it is. I replaced my speed control sensor yesterday. It is still not shifting properly. I was told there is a trans range sensor(neutral safety switch} which could be the problem. I am not sure where this sensor is located, or which one I need, there are 2 diff. ones for my engine. Has anyone had this problem with your car not shifting properly and actually found out what the fix for it is? I am affraid I am going to burn this trans out too.