Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Navigation System

frisco7frisco7 Member Posts: 5
My LS430 is a great car except for the voice navigation. No matter how I try, speaking in various levels etc. "POI OFF" and "AUDIO OFF" are constant problems along with other voice commands. There are over 300 Lexus published commands of which only a few actually work. Has anyone else had this expertience?

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Has anyone else had this expertience?

My "expertience" is similar, but different with my "nagigation"..

I can get POI OFF and AUDIO OFF to work fine, but there are 298 other commands it gets wrong.

May I suggest, however, that your "expertience" with your "nagigation" malfunctions may be your spelling? JK :P
  • frisco7frisco7 Member Posts: 5
    You caught me with my pants down on my spelling. It is embarrassing to say the least, but it seems we are having the same voice nav problem. This is so unlike Lexus. Mercedes and Honda have superior voice systems and the premium car does not. I understand the 2007 LS460 is a better system. LL
    Thanks for having a sense of humor! I appppreciate it. Yes, I think lots of us, pretty much anybody who tries to use it has the problem. I have also heard that the problem is greatly improved in the 07 version. I have tried to memorize the 300 commands unsuccessfully. Trying to look them up on the freeway doesn't work either. The few I know, sometimes work, sometimes not. Eventually, I just push the state-of-the-art button, and get on with it. I appreciate the concept - but it's not yet perfected. When voice dial cellphones first came on the market in about 1997 or so, you had to "say each name" into it in program mode, so it would recognize your voice. I got pretty good at imitating my co-worker's voice when I drove his Caddy, but I was amazed when I got my 02 LS430, that this was no longer needed. Then I was amazed at how it doesn't always work either.......

I've driven the 460. I want one. That will fix my problem.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    My granddaughter and I have lots of fun giving commands and see what comes back from the NAV lady. We have had a few great laughs. The most success I've had is in adjusting temperature.
    Yes, temperature up and down works. I can get guidance stopped, but almost everything else I try to do, gets me POI marks for the darndest things.....
  • frisco7frisco7 Member Posts: 5
    I can complain about the voice activation problems all day but the truth is that Lexus left us short on this feature. I have taken it a step further and filed a complaint which is pending at this time. This is my 4th Lexus and the first time I have any problem with any of them. Hopefully the '07 has a better system. If you stay in touch I will keep you up to date on what the outcome of my complaint is. LL
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I just installed the latest Nav DVD (version 6.1) on my '04 LS430. Everything worked AOK until I tried the secret "Override" sequence, and to my horror discovered that it no longer works!!

I had previously read that in the LS460 it did not work, and took that as a good reason not to buy one, but I didn't expect that the 430 update would kill it.

If anyone finds a new secret sequence would you please please post it. Thank you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    So if there is no override sequence for this update you might as well go out and buy the LS 460! ;)
    Good point, Pat. I was hoping I would find a reason to buy one. Now you have given me the reason. Thanks.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    My dealer wants $600 to load the latest version of software for my GPS. This is a ripoff since a complete GPS can be purchased for $600 or less, In fact I just bought a very nice GARMIN for $350 for my other car.

Does anyone know how to get a software up grade for an honest price?
    I bought mine on-line from lexus-parts.com (Sewell Lexus in Dallas, I believe) for $288, then installed it myself. There was a very helpful post a couple of years ago explaining how to do the install, in case you have any problem.
    Thanks for you post on an upgrade for Lexus GPS software. I shall check this out. My system dates to Nov 2001 and a lot has changed in Florida since then.

Cna you provide and direct me to the post on how to install it? Or does instructions come with it?

Thanks Again!
    When you installed the upgrade software was it done through the DVD player in the dash? I ask this since recently my DVD player got hung-up and needs to have some repair done to it.
    Message #4769 by flint350 of Oct 08, 2003 (10:50 pm) says (it was so helpful I saved it):

feverhart - install is nothing more than removing carpet in trunk (just roll it to the left side), take off the obvious cover on right side of trunk to expose the unit. Remove the two side screws and tilt the machine up, exposing the front insert slot. Have the car powered up, slide the left little slot cover open (just left of DVD slot) to expose the eject button. Push that and exchange the DVD's. Be sure car is powered (doesn't need to be running, just key in the accessory position) for the exchange - the update will begin automatically and display on the nav screen. Once complete, just tilt unit back down and resecure screws and cover. Your version should now show 3.1 versus our old 2000 1.0

There are some small changes to map icons and displays, but the voice sounds the same to me (thought someone said the voice had changed). I don't know the cutoff date of the database, but I was disappointed in some of the POI's I looked for that still weren't there - restaurants that have been in existence about a year or so. But others are there. Overall, seems ok, if still expensive. I also have a Garmin Street Pilot III that I use in my other vehicles - they are offering an update to that system and want $150 for one CD (not DVD)and it is for full country.

End of flint350 post.

Someone else subsequently added a warning: Be careful not to let the screws drop into the well - they would be very hard to get back out.

Good luck.

Renny
  • jtt1jtt1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 LS. Is there anyway to have the Nav system default to the audio view each time the car is started? I really don't use the Nav system very often and would rather not have to switch it manually.
    I don't think so.
    I just got notice from lexusparts@sewell.com that they have shipped me the Navigation System Update Data Ver 07.01. I had pre-ordered it, for $260.
    I just installed the new Nav DVD. After MitchellRowe's report that the '08 LS460 no longer asks the driver to agree to drive safely before allowing him to use the Nav system, I was hoping the new DVD (on my '04 LS430) would do likewise, but unfortunately it still has the old Caution screen where I have to touch "I agree".

The other thing I noticed is that the new system has lost my "Previous" memory points. Aside from that I haven't noticed any improvements yet, but hey I just installed it this morning.

Renny
  • seapirateseapirate Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Lexus Ls430,and the screen shows that i am in the middle of the Puget Sound,and the streets have disappeared,I live in Seattle,does anybody have any idea what the problem might be.
    Seapirate
    I presume that you have depressed the "map" button at the top of the nav buttons. If your system is working normal and you move the curser/map to another location, depressing the "map" button will return the display to current position. Other than that, I have no other suggestions. Good Luck..
    I vaguely recall the first time I got a car with a navigation system there was a polite little note saying if you discover any errors in the map please notify us at such-and-such address. Does any one know where we are supposed to send info updates on the current nav system?

I was looking for an address on Sandalwood Lane and the nav said no such street. When I found it by driving around and reading street signs, I pressed the Map button to see what the nav thought that street was called, and it displayed it as "Sandlewood Lane". I'd like to report that typo so they can correct it and save the next lost guy a little time. But to whom do I report it?
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I have been following your discussion on updating the nav system. I have an 03 LS 430 with DVD version 2,1 that I want to update. From your discussion sounds like a rather simple process but I am concerned about being able to override the system if I install the latest version of the DVD. With the current version I can use the override procedure and do anything while the car is moving that I can do when it is not moving. Do you know if the new DVD will still allow me to do this? Seems like it is a hardware issue and should not have any effect on the overide. Also, as I recall the system in the '03 has something like 500,000 POIs whereas the system in my 05 RX has 5 million. Have you noticed a huge increase in the number of POIs with your updated DVD? Thanks for any input you may have on this. Happy Thanksgiving.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    For rennybosch---Sorry to waste your time with my last post. Just went back to some previous posts and saw the answer to my override question. Should have done that first obviously.
    No problem. Thanks for posting back, many people wouldn't have bothered. And Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
  • abodabod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 LS 430 and I'm stationed in the middle east, saudi arabia ,where can I get the navi DVD for this area? any place on the internet!!
  • logan9logan9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 LS 430 and received a notice from my Lexus Dealer stating that my models navigation system was being removed phased out and that they have a $900 credit available for me on a new vehicle. Now I hear about this forum and there is a probable replacement DVD version available. I like this feature (NAVIGATION) and don't want to replace my current vehicle in order to continue to enjoy the same. If there is an updated version please supply detailed information so that I may obtain same.
    Thanking you in advance.....
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I just installed the new Nav DVD. After MitchellRowe's report that the '08 LS460 no longer asks the driver to agree to drive safely before allowing him to use the Nav system, I was hoping the new DVD (on my '04 LS430) would do likewise, but unfortunately it still has the old Caution screen where I have to touch "I agree".

I have the v 7.1 DVD Nav in my 2008 Camry Hybrid, and the "I Agree" button is gone! :) The screen will even switch from audio to Nav on its own.... I am quite happy with these changes on the latest version, and was planning to upgrade the Sept 2006 release I had on my 2003 LX470. However, if the new release does not permit these features I have on my 2008 TCH when upgrading, then I'll just stick to my current version.
  • edurbinedurbin Member Posts: 5
    please tell me what is the correct version of the DVD nav system update for the Lexus LS 430 2003 and did it work for you?
    Thanks,
    E Durbin

edurbin@comcast.net
    What I got from Lexus-Parts.com was:

Product #:PT219-GEN2345-07, 2007 DVD Navigation System Update Data Ver 07.01 (size: Generation 4).

It worked perfectly in my '04 LS430, but I think the '03 would probably be Generation 3. You should be able to find that out on their website (Lexus-Parts.com).

Good luck.
  • legselevenlegseleven Member Posts: 1
    Renny,
    Thanks for really useful info.
    I have an LS430 (2005) and need the update PT219-GEN04-071 from version 4.02.
    Do you know if the update procedure works for my model?
    It seems very easy!
    Trev
    The 05 LS is so similar to the 04 that the update procedure must surely be the same. But don't sue me if I'm wrong :-)
  • jerry5505jerry5505 Member Posts: 13
    I received a card in the mail which informed me the new map update is available from the Lexus dealer for only $265 MSRP which I think thats to expensive for the times I use it. Is there a charge from the dealer for installing it?
    The card has an * (asterisk) indicating there is an installation fee. My dealer indicates it will cost $110 for install.
  • 49er49er Member Posts: 4
    The buttons on the lcd panel fade and are inactive when I try to enter address data even though the "GPS" indicator is on both before and after trying. The map works but only "home" and the last five locations can be selected to get route data.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    You have to be stopped to enter address data.
    To: rennybosch. I understand I have to be stopped and in Park or Neutral. That is when the condition occurs. I travelled to San Diego this week and found the system works sometimes here, but it did not work in AZ, including Phoenix. Perhaps there is a satellite problem.
    Did you select Mountain Area vs. the West coast area. You have to select the area of the US that you are in.
    Thanks for the response. Yes, the problem occurs when the correct region is selected. Also, when the problem occurs, I cannot "change" the region.
    Lexus 430LS 2003 with latest map installed. Is there a way to disable the interlock that prevents the destination from being selected while driving?
    Is there a way to eliminate the legal waiver screen when starting?

Ed
  • abargerabarger Member Posts: 3
    We bought an off market 7.1 update for our 2002 Lexus SC430 and it loaded with no problems and was working, but 5 minutes later, it's showing disc not found. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I feel like there must be some kind of setting conflict or something. Any ideas?
    Try removing the disc, be sure the shiney face is clean and or wash it off, dry it with a lint free rag and reinsert.

Good luck,

Ed
  • flyingjakflyingjak Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 LS 430 and I would like to install more current software in the GPS navigation system. The dealer wants over $400.00 for the most current upgrade. Expensive!! Does anyone know of an after market company that sells software compatible with Lexus Navigation systems?
  • jas5719jas5719 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 LS 430 and had it in for 120,000 mile service yesterday. Last week my Navigation system had posted a message on the screen that is was unable to read the data, check the DVD. My service manager informed me that I needed a new ECU computer chip and DVD. Cost $2400 OUCH! Needless to say I passed. Does anyone know of mechanics, etc in the Central Masschuetts area that work on Lexus's and can tackle this problem for a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help.
    Jerry
  • willsdad0522willsdad0522 Member Posts: 3
    Why does my LS 430 navigation system continually want to take me off of the highway and take me through local roads? I went from Philadelphia to Baltimore and, obviously, I95 is the way to go but it kept telling me to get off and get onto other roads. Is there a setting to tell it to use highways only and, conversely, use local roads? Thanks!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    There is a page with settings of route preference such as Allow Toll Roads, Allow Ferry, Allow Major Roads etc.
  • willsdad0522willsdad0522 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I will check it out.
  • pkelleherpkelleher Member Posts: 1
    Jerry. may be too late, check ebay or do what I did call lexus and asked them to pay half for mine after 3 weeks they offerd 25% I told them i would not except that. They called 3 days later and gave me half ($1600 total cost)
  • bjsj01bjsj01 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 LS 430, is there a way to override the Nav System so I can input address while the vehicle is moving? Also, how do I get the DVD upgrade for the Navigiation System?
    #7637 of 8240 Re: NAV/Phone quirks [dadcat] by newlexi Oct 04, 2005 (10:17 am) Save | Reply
    Replying to: dadcat (Oct 01, 2005 5:01 pm)

The suggested navigation override procedure (Menu->System Options-> top left -> bottom left-> top left -> bottom left-> bottom right-> override) works in my 2001 LS430. The problem is that it needs to be performed prior to moving otherwise the System Options button is disabled in motion. On my wife's new GS430 it can be performed (a somewhat different procedure) while in motion.
    what is the procedure for the GS 430?

Ed