Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Acura TL

2»

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Polished Metal Metallic is not a very common color.
    It's listed as an available color on the Canadian site, but not on the Acura's US site.
    Looking through available models throughout the US though, I do find 08 TLs available in this color..... so who knows.

The Canadian site is lousy, and I haven't been able to pin point the paint code through Google either.
    A quick call to a dealership may be your best advice.
  • mdcatdadmdcatdad Member Posts: 14
    I have an "Alabaster Silver Metallic" 08 TL. Where would I find the "paint code"?
    I find that when I put a large bag of groceries on the front seat of my 2008 TL I get a warning message and "e-mail" about the airbag being off or the seatbelt not being fastened (I forget right now exactly how it's worded), but the manual indicates that the air bag does not turn on until the weight of the load reaches 65 lbs.

Is there any way to stop this message from displaying, such as by adjusting the weight that triggers this message?
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    It would be easier, and probably safer, just to put the lap belt around the grocery bag. It might stop the eggs from flying all over the windshield during a sudden stop.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The seatbelt could also be hooked behind the seat cargo - as long as that "seat cargo" is not human.
    Is there any way to stop this message from displaying, such as by adjusting the weight that triggers this message?

That's there as a safety switch so if a child (or anyone else under 65 lbs) is placed in the seat, the airbag won't go off and kill them in the evet of an accident.
    The only way to avoid it is to place your groceries somewhere else.
    Attaching the seatbelt will definitely take care of the seatbelt audible alarm.
    It will do nothing for the airbag message though.
    That is caused by the weight sensor. :blush:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Oh. Yeah, I knew that. Duh. :blush:

:P
  • sloquarksloquark Member Posts: 5
    I am considering a TL-S but the center console pushes against my right leg. For short distances (test drives) it's not too bad but I am afraid that will bother me after long stretches at the wheel. For those of you who have owned this body style for awhile, do you find this a problem? Since I am of average height, I would think others would have encountered this problem. Thanks.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I owned an '05 TL and I am 6'3". There is a comfortable driving position in there for you. The seat is almost infinitely adjustable. I had no problem on extended trips.
  • riorebelriorebel Member Posts: 20
    I'm also 6'3, and I weigh 275. I just bought a TL-S and I'm very comfortable. It's not nearly as roomy as my 300M was, but for its class, the TL is quite roomy. It's actually bigger than the G35, and if I remember correctly, bigger than the comparable Lexus as well.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    I also moved on from a 300M to a TL. Both nice cars!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ggs2ggs2 Member Posts: 18
    I have narrowed my search down to the acura tl or the saab 9-3.I have never owned an acura or a saab but have done enough research to know that the acura seems to be the better car as far as reliability goes. I'm not sure if i would pick the 2.0 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder aero, but i would go with the tl vs type-s. I just don't like those wheels on the type -s.I would appreciate any information anyone could provide who has experience with either of these cars. Thanks.
  • riorebelriorebel Member Posts: 20
    If you're willing to consider a 4 cylinder, you might throw the Acura TSX in the mix.

I went the other direction - I chose the TL-S mostly because I wanted a little more engine than the TL base model.

I didn't look at the Saab, so I can't speak to that. I did look at hard at the G35, and liked it a lot.
  • piperwarriorpiperwarrior Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am 6' 0, just got a 2008 TL-S, and drove it about 100 miles on Friday. No issues at all with comfort.... I really enjoyed the drive too!
  • mmelonemmelone Member Posts: 6
    I'm a new TL owner. How do you switch to Driver 1. For whatever reason when I start the car it says welcome driver 2?
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    You must be using the wrong key, which is coded as "driver 2". Switch keys and hit the unlock button - it should then welcome "driver 1".
    I wasn't aware that the keys were numbered, opened the car door and it said on the panel Wecome Driver 1. :)
    TY
  • newronewro Member Posts: 21
    there is and I have one, This is my third tl and I should have quit after 2. This car is very ordinary and honestly, its uncomfortble to drive, especially on a long trip. I have a 2006 Pathfinder and I will choose to take it on a trip over the tl anytime, even with the lousy gas mileage.
    Acura needs to step it up if they want to compete at this level. This car is overpriced and it underperforms.
  • tlmiketlmike Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 TL. I rarely drive on the freeway, so virtually 100% of my driving is "city". According to the manual, I am supposed to get 18 mpg city. I started out at around 16, and have been steadily declining. I got 12.7 mpg on my last tank. I can't figure it out, as I use the premium gas, and I don't accelerate particularly fast or drive overly fast.

Any thoughts?
  • laurelmdlaurelmd Member Posts: 11
    I've noticed my mileage drop considerably since the weather turned hot. My worst tanks are the ones with mostly stop and go traffic and my A/C is cycling continuously. I've read A/C is pretty much a wash vs. open windows (increased drag) mileage wise, but I think that only applies to highway traffic, not city.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Is everyone's gas gauge ridiculous or what? My low warning light came on and the tank only took in about 12.5 gallons of gas. Doesn't that leave about 5-6 gallons in the tank? Does everyone have this issue?

I guess it's really not a issue, I guess it's better than if it only left a gallon of gas when the light came on.

Excellent car though! After seeing the supposed pics of the 2009 TL, I'm glad I got the 2008. Comfortable, Roomy, and getting good gas mileage so far at about 23MPG in mostly stop & go driving.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    anyone have insight on how to setup the bluetooth with a Verizon phone? The dealer couldn't get it to sync up and neither can I.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Yeah, the low fuel warning light is conservative on my '05, too. Better than coming on too late though! I don't mind it. I too, have pretty consistently averaged 23 mpg (per the OBC) since I bought 3.5 years ago.

The heavy, attack doors of death and the trunk lid that dumps water into the trunk (maybe it's Zaino's fault for leaving such lovely beads of water there!) are a couple of minor annoyances I note on my TL. But it does everything so well, including being eye-candy, that all is forgiven!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• trailhikertrailhiker Member Posts: 26
    I bought an '08 TL that was manufactured in Feb 2008. Typically when the low fuel light comes on, I can put between 15 to 16 gallons in the tank (the tank is 17.1 gallons.

I drive 90% highway and avg 30mpg, all higway I can get 32 - 34 mpg depending on my speed typically between 60 and 70mph.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Check out the honda/acura handsfreelink website and make sure your phone is compatible. Connecting to a car is different than to an earpiece but most of the steps are the same. The instructions are also on the Handsfreelink website also. Its just handsfreelink.com.

Make sure you tell us how it works out!

-Cj
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Remember almost all gasoline is now E10 or 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol. Ethanol gives you fewer MPG also. But take note, most gas stations have a sign that says "Contains 0-10% Ethanol" so it isn't consistent.

Also try driving and keeping your tachometer under 3k rpm... You'll most likely go up. I tried it and got 20mpg in my 95 accord v6 vs the usual 15.

-Cj
  • xyz17xyz17 Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys,

I have been putting 93 in my 08 TL and was thinking of switching to 87...any one use 87 on their 08 TL? If so then have you had any issues since using 87?
  • polishedmetalpolishedmetal Member Posts: 3
    There are other posts about this, search for it. I'll give you my analysis (after reading)...I just bought an '08 TL and from what I have read is that is not recommended (at all) to put 87 in an '08 TL and you will likely experience engine knocking and require service sooner than you should. As far as 89, people say you can do it, but most who have done it say that 91 or 93 produces better mileage, so you may as well put 91 or 93 in because it is basically even money with the mileage boost from 89.

I personally only put 91 or higher in.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I posted a message here a while back regarding this issue, can't remember if it was in the TL or MDX forum. My '07 MDX owners manual specifically states that a lesser grade gas could be used temporarily, but long term use could cause engine damage.
  • xyz17xyz17 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info...Im sticking to 93....
  • maltbiemaltbie Member Posts: 31
    The owners manual for the 08 TL states that octanes under 91 can be used but should only be done so temporarily because of potential engine damage. This statement only applies to the TL Type-S, however.

For TLs other than the Type-S, the manual states that octanes under 91 may be used but may result in reduced performance. It also states that engine damage may occur with octanes lower than 87.
  • oif865thoif865th Member Posts: 3
    Just bought 2008 TL w/navi...previous accord owner. My question is has anyone felt a slight grinding feeling/noise at about 1800-2100 rpm's? It's not transmission just cant put my finger as to what it is. Other wise love the car very comfortable and has the extra room/power that i was looking for. Got the white diamond pearl very elegant/sporty look to it. Would appreciate a respond from anyone that has had the same problem.
    I have a 2008' TL that I've had since early June. Not sure if it's transmission related. My issue is more engine vibration that I feel at the same rpm range. I'll be taking my car in for the first service in a couple of weeks and see what's up. I'll keep you posted.
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    Looking to downsize vehicles. Has anyone driven both vehicles and willing to share their likes and dislikes with me. Have a 2005 MDX coming off lease and a 2000 RL. Do not need two large type of premium gas guzzling vehicles for only two drivers now driving less than a total of 1600 miles per month of combined city and highway driving.
  • polishedmetalpolishedmetal Member Posts: 3
    Yes I have this same situation, though from my understanding it isn't a problem, just how the engine/transmission runs. This is well documented elsewhere on these forums.
  • walstadinswalstadins Member Posts: 1
    "Looking to downsize vehicles. Has anyone driven both vehicles and willing to share their likes and dislikes with me. Have a 2005 MDX coming off lease and a 2000 RL. Do not need two large type of premium gas guzzling vehicles for only two drivers now driving less than a total of 1600 miles per month of combined city and highway driving."

I purchased a 2008 TL with NAVI in May. I had a 1997 RL and 2002 MDX. The 97 RL was hit from behind while parked in front of my house :mad: , so I needed to replace it. I was torn between a new RL, a new TL, a new TSX (due to mileage) and a Lexus. Didn't like the Lexus headroom, legroom or air conditioner. Ended up choosing the TL because of body lines and mileage versus the RL, and the size is decent (I'm 6' 3" tall). Back seat room is okay for shorter rides.

The RL was smoother riding, but I didn't particularly like the look, the price, or the fuel economy.

The TL is loaded, has a good ride, and good look. I drive mostly interstate miles from home to work (about 16 miles), then city mileage running errands, lunch, etc. My combo mileage, using 87 regular gas, has been from 24 to 27. Two trips from Oklahoma City to Tulsa and back gave me 30 and 33 mpg.

I'm very happy with my TL and glad I purchased it as opposed to the RL and the Lexus. Personally, I'm just not that impressed with the Lexus, although they are good looking cars.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Last year test drove the TSX 4 times without salesman, test drove TL one time.
    Got the TL.
    My problem with the TSX auto was lack of power, otherwise very nice car.
    The 09 TSX may have somewhat resolved that problem with different
    trans and engine tuneing, you will have to test drive and see if the TSX
    has say enough power where you feel safe on freeway on ramps.
    Old Mike
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, the TL is going to have more power right off the bat, but once the TSX 4cyl is more broken in, you simply notice a difference in its power, but sometimes thats not enough for some.
    Would appreciate it if you would get back too me.. I'm taking my TL in this Fri. for a check up. I'll as well will keep you posted.
    So your saying its no issue at all? I'm taking my TL in this Fri for service guess i'll find out then if there is a issue or not. Can you send me a link or more info if you know of any on this. Kind of dissapointed did not expect an acura with its rep. to be like this.
  • lsupinoylsupinoy Member Posts: 5
    Im a new 2008 TL owner. Im not sure if this was mentioned previously in this forum. Does anyone else feel the engine have slight pull when slowing down after 20mph or so? When I let off the gas and let it cruise, it feels like the engine pulls a bit. Is this a transmission problem? Open to all suggestions.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Not sure what you mean by engine pull, if you mean engine brakeing
    that is normal, Old Mike
  • lsupinoylsupinoy Member Posts: 5
    Thanks...just making sure it was normal
    From my 08 TL's manual: "When the indicator comes on, there is about 2.3 U.S. gal...of fuel remaining in the tank before the needle reaches E. There is a small reserve of fuel remaining in the tank when the needle does reach E."

So that means that there is more than 2.3 gallons left

My "low fuel" indicator came on, and I drove about 20 miles before filling up. I put 13.6 gallons in the tank, so it looks like there's at least 3.5 gallons left after the warning message comes on.

Nevertheless, I've read somewhere that this sort of engine can be seriously damaged if it runs out of fuel, so it's better to be safe than sorry.