Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Climate Control

sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
What, exactly, is being controled when you select "auto"? The usability guy in me thinks that the appropriate lights ought to come on when auto takes over, e.g., if the a/c is running then the a/c light ought to be on. Yet when I turn on auto none of the other lights come on. Indeed, if I touch any button except the air filter (the "A" button) then auto shuts off.

Another question - how do I determine the temperature inside the car?

Another question - how do I set the fan speed higher when I have the vents open (or recirculating air) but the a/c off?

Comments

• wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    On the Azera, the Auto setting is like setting the thermostat on your a/c at home. Even though the A/C light does not come on, the air will be cooled by the car. The only way to get to "Vent" would be to turn off the Auto setting and make sure the A/c switch is not on. The Fan speed is controlled by the control at the top center of the climate control panel, with arrows pointing left or right to raise or lower the fan speed.

As to the inside temp in the car, on the Azera, there is a small slot in the center dash that "reads" the temperature. It doesn't display the temp on the panel, but that is how the Auto setting starts to increase/decrease cooling or heating to match the settings.

Boy, lot of words to try explaining a simple thing. Hope that helps
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    When I do not have AUTO on (i.e., just using the vents) and I adjust the fan speed then AUTO turns on. That doesn't seem right, does it?
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    sundevils, I have to apologize, I don't have enough experience with Azera to tell if my behavior is the same. Maybe the default behavior is assuming you always want Auto rather than vent? Go figure...
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    The "auto" setting has a sensor that reads the outside quality of the air and sets the a/c to accept outside air or recirculate inside cabin air only.
  • fortinfortin Member Posts: 7
    On my Azera 2006, when I press the OFF button the fan stops. If I then press the fan speed control to get only unconditioned air flow every thing seems to turn ON; even if the light on the A/C and the AUTO are not green, the A/C is ON and I get cold air.

My dealer tried to explained how to get uncooled air but got confused by the controls and ended up suggesting to set the temperature control high enough to be sure the air conditioner is not working. He would not admit that the control was defective.

Can you (or someone else) can tel me if we can get uncooled air when turning on the fan? Thanks
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    You might try the search function, this has been discussed before. Sorry, I can't remember how it's done.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Hit the "AC" switch twice to prevent the air conditioning from coming on. One hit, the AC led is on and AC is locked to on; second hit it's off and kept off. If you were in "AUTO" when you double-tapped the AC, the "AUTO" led will go off, but the system will still try to maintain the desired setting, changing fan speeds and recirc. automatically, just w/o access to the air conditioning.

After hitting the AC switch twice, you can also manually adjust the fan and the head-foot-both switches and recirc./fresh air, all w/o AC. To get all back to normal, hit the "AUTO" switch...
  • fortinfortin Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the information. It works. This info was not in my owner's manual and my local Hyundai service did not know how to do that.

I guess Hyundai needs to make this unit control more intuitive.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    Had a 2003 Toyota Camry XLE that worked about the same way and it was not in the manual either.
    I think a lot of the technology is all coming from the same copanies regardless of make and whoever writes the manuals and explains it to dealers never gets all the information.
    That is what is so great about these websites.
  • rpasinskirpasinski Member Posts: 1
    Once in a while for no reason the switch comes on for the defrosting the front window. It has to be pressed twice to turn it off. Why does it come on without touching it?
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    If I'm not mistaken sensors in the climate control system determines that condition exist that require defrosters to come on. It will happen more during cold weather then warm. I know that when starting up on a cold day the defroster comes on for a while then goes off. Warm air on a cold windshield = fogged up windshield
    That's why it's called automatic climate control :=)
  • psu3psu3 Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,

Still getting used to our new 07 Azera. The climate control section in the manual is not very clear. Can someone explain the difference between the 2 buttons which are identified: Air Quality Control System and Air Intake Control Switch? The description in the manual sound like each do the same thing. Is there a default setting for these? I notice that if either button is lit when the vehicle is on it does not stay lit when I restart the vehicle.

Do the setting of these affect in any way the cabin filter which must be periodically replaced? Any other hints regarding the climate control system would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
    Hi again everyone,

Forgot to add another question in recent post. This regards the climate control with the bi-level setting. The manual states that this can be set so cooler air could be sent through the dashboard vents and warmer air through the floor vents at the SAME time. I can't figure out how to do this. Is it possible or is there a mistake in the manual?
    Thanks again!

Steve
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    The Air Quality button engages the two sensors which are mounted under/behind the front bumper and monitor hyrdocarbons and fine particulates, and when engaged, AQ will automatically switch the damper which controls the introduction of outside air OR (if outside air is too polluted) recirculation. The Recirc. button (Air Intake Control) itself overrides the AQ and lets you decide.

And if AQ or you decide to run the cabin on recirculate most of the time, it would tend to extend the life of the filter as less outside air (bugs, dust, whatever) would be passed through the filter. All air which enters the cabin passes through the filter, but if you don't smoke in the car and keep the theoretically dirtier air outside by using Recirc., there would be less crud to be filtered (but the cabin might get a bit stuffy).

The bi-level vents (warmer low, cooler upper) are likely processor controlled according to the requested temp. setting you choose and according to the humidity inside the car, where, in Winter, you might want warmer feet, but the cabin humidity might occasionally call for some air conditioned air to take the fog off the windows. Don't know of any operator controls that would let you vary the top/bottom temps, in a like manner to the driver/passenger temp. controls...
    gamleged,

Thanks for the prompt and thorough response. Makes more sense now.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.