Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Impreza Real World MPG Numbers

124»

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,811
    edited February 2013
    It looks like you're taking a realistic approach to the mileage expectations. Note also that the 36 rating is pure highway. In that sense, I would expect that your real world experience for pure highway should be much higher than 26 unless you have exterior drag (roof rack, etc) that will knock that down.

For winter driving, extra friction such as wind, slush, water, or snow on the road can have a dramatic impact on fuel economy.

As an example, I drove my Fiesta from Fairbanks to Palmer (330 miles one way) and back this weekend. Prior to the trip, I have averaged around 30 mpg mixed local driving since the weather cooled down a few months ago. Prior to that, it was about 36. For this trip, I was hoping for 36-37.

On the way down, the weather was pretty calm, with only a short distance of head wind, and about 80 miles of moderate snow with an inch or two on the road surface. I thought that would hit my fuel economy pretty hard, but I still managed 39 mpg on the trip down. On the way home, however, everything else being equal, I only managed a little over 37 due to warm temperatures (32-36F) that caused the ice pack on the road to break up over a distance of more than 100 miles.

Speeds were mostly ~60-70 mph both directions, with some bouts of slower speeds due to conditions.

I expect the same trip during summer months to exceed 40 mpg, assuming I can ever make such a trip solo in the summer!

So, depending on what conditions you hit, you could have lost several miles per gallon just overcoming the environmental obstacles. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kadingkading Member Posts: 7
    Yes, from where I'm standing now, there's probably no way to go but (incrementally) up in terms of mpg, that is unless my NYC commute gets worse than it already is!

The only other thing that would probably help improve things a bit will be to learn and use some reasonable hypermiling techniques.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Another thing people forget about in MPG reduction is interior weight. How much you weigh, your passenger/s and any cargo, these all add to a reduction in MPGs, especially in a small 4cyl engine, it has to work harder to move, even at HWY speeds.
  • Options
    kadingkading Member Posts: 7
    Aha, another good incentive to lose the 20-30lbs I've been needing to drop! Who knew buying a Subaru would lead me to better health!?! My doctor will be happy.
  • Options
    riko2riko2 Member Posts: 1
    Why don't you get a Prius next time? I have had mine for two years now and driven 41K miles. Best car I have ever owned and absolutely, problem free. My best gas mileage on a 250 mile trip was 53.8 mpg. Overall mileage including hard city driving is still over 45 mpg without even trying. One of best things about the car is the factory bumper to bumper 125K/6year warranty which was an option when I bought the car new.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited December 2013

Just checking in to say my mileage is holding absolutely steady at 28.5 or so ('09 OBS with the stick). Winter doesn't seem to affect this car as much as others have reported, but then I am in CA so winter is a relative term....

Have driven the new 2.0 now, am very glad to stand pat with my old 2.5, am hoping that someday they will either put the larger engine or the 2.0 turbo in the XV CrossTrek, which would then put it in the running for my next Subaru (provided they continue to offer the manual, preferably the 6-speed).

Otherwise I dunno - maybe a Forester is in my future? Would like to stay with Subaru if possible

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)