Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Hesitation in Camry 2011 on Start. Is this normal?

hassan7hassan7 Member Posts: 3

I bought a used Toyota Camry LE 2011 with 26,000 miles on it. When the car is in complete stop and I press the gas pedal, the engine revs up with a slight delay (less than 1 second I would say). I have to push the gas pedal down a little more to get it to engage so the car will move, in this case the car jumps, so I have to be gentle with it. Is this behavior normal? If not, what is the problem in your opinion?

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

Are you referring to the time it takes for the auto tranny to engage after putting it into Drive? If that's the case and it is cold, then sounds like it could be normal. Using the accelerator to hurry-up tranny engagement is very hard on the transmission.

• hassan7hassan7 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the response. I have this problem even if the car is warmed up. Actually, all the time at any red light, when I press the gas pedal to start moving, I have to press a little more to get it engaged, hence I experience a little jump for the car, then I have to de-press the gas pedal slightly. Is this still normal?

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

It doesn't sound like it. It sorta sounds like it is allowing itself to go into neutral at a stop. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the auto in your car (most autos FTM) but the only thing I can think of off hand until someone else may have some input, is to have the fluid level in the tranny confirmed and/or pickup screens checked for debris. I'm wondering if it happens to be low (or worn out) that it could be affecting the torque converter which is what allows you to stop while still in gear.