Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Faulty Shocks on Mazda 5 Class Action

sandymcsandymc Member Posts: 3

This was my complaint

I bought a pre-driven 2010 Mazda 5 on Dec. 12, 2011 . It had 14,500 km on it. It now has 23,868 km and is just over 3 years old. I only drive the vehicle 6 months of the year . The left rear shock leaked less than 34 months in.. After researching on line I find that many people have had this problem I asked the Service Advisor why there wasn't a recall he said "there was no recalled because it was not a safety hazard" shows that Mazda knew there was a problem. I have driven vehicles all my life and have never had a problem with a shock. Why did my local mechanic say that he replaces at least one pair of shocks a week on Mazdas? this is just a small shop so who knows how many people have had to replace their shocks. The left rear shock leaked within the 3 year warranty unfortunately I didn't know what the stain in the driveway was caused from and didn't take it in. I missed the warranty period by less than 2 months. My bad.

This is the response I got from Mazda,
"Experience has shown that defects attributable to the original manufacturing and assembly process will make themselves apparent quite early in the life of the vehicle. Repairs, such as you have reported are usually the result of wear or other factors over which Mazda Canada Inc. has no control."

Basically what they said is shocks that leak within the warranty or shortly after is not considered quite early in the life of the vehicle. A vehicle that has been driven 23,868 constitutes wear. I wonder what they consider the normal life expectancy of the life of a vehicle.

Any help I can get in starting a class action would be appreciated.

Sandy

Comments

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited January 2014

Hi - we don't permit soliciting participation in legal action within our forums. There's really not much you can do apart from contacting a lawyer to see if they have interest in taking on such a case. However, we can't assist with recommending a law firm or getting other members to participate.

We're going to close this discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.