Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear Brake Dragging

scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23
edited December 2013 in Volkswagen

I just purchased a 99 Passat with the V6 for my daughter. The right rear brake pads a wearing out very fast. All the other ones are basically new. The guy I bought it from just had the Bosch module rebuilt. Not sure if that included the brake pressure module valve. I am going to check to make sure the pins etc are lubed and not frozen, bleed the oil out of that caliper and make sure it is free. Not sure if there is anything else?? The pressure module looks like it controls each brake separate. So I am not sure if this can be a cause.
Scott

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

I am not sure if the 99 Passat has rear-disk or drum brakes. If it is disk... continue reading.

I believe the rear brake-calipers on VW INCLUDE the parking-brake mechanism within the caliper itself. If this parking-brake mechanism is not properly 'reset' when the new pads are installed, the pads may drag. I have seen in worse-case scenarios where the internal parking-brake mechanism gets mechanically damaged due to improper resetting procedure. In that case, the only remedy is new caliper.

The process to 'reset' the parking-brake mechanism entails 'screwing' the caliper-piston back into the caliper, presetting the pad-rotor clearance and operating the parking-brake lever several times. BEFORE DRIVING the vehicle.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@scootter1 said:
    The guy I bought it from just had the Bosch module rebuilt.

By "bosch module" if you mean the ABS unit... the hydrolic portion of this is VERY difficult to bleed the air-bubbles out of it. To properly do it, One has to use laptop computer to 'manually' operate the ABS pump.

It is highly unlikely for air-bubbles in the ABS unit to cause dragging brake... instead, it would cause spungy brake-pedal or malfunction of ABS.

• scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23

Thanks. I think who ever did the pads(prior owner) didn't properly retract the calipers. I bought a rebuilt one, replaced it and has been fine since.