Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-2014 Kia Optima general discussion forum.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited March 2014 in Kia

I own a 2012 Kia Optima EX. I was introduced to the car while helping a relative purchase a car at the end of 2010. I ended up test driving one and was impressed with the quality materials, ride, specifications, looks, and finally the price. It didn't take long before I was driving one home. The picture below is my 2012 Optima EX base. It stickered at $24,260 . I paid 21,880 + tax tags.

After driving it for two years and 24,000 miles, I can tell you anything you want to know about the car. I have driven the new Mazda 6, inspected the new Fusion and driven the new Accord. There is very little difference between them in the real world. All mainstream midsize sedans offer high quality, technology rich content, and genuine value that was unheard of even 5 years ago.

I am attaching a picture of my car, and welcome any queries. Happy New Year!

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

I like the new Optima..(this most recent generation). But I would like it more if Kia saw their way to offer it with an AWD and turbo diesel option. Why they don't try to get the jump on the new Mazda6 is beyond me...especially since Mazda has had some teething issues meeting our ridiculously impossible diesel emission regs in NA. And to really throw a wrench at Mazda, offering the AWD with an oil burner icing on the cake would really make things interesting.

Plus, if they actually did offer us a car that made this much sense, they'd better darn well off a trailer hitch as an option. This last wish is probably not a problem at all as Kia is one of the very few companies that will presently sell you a hitch even on their smallest car, the Rio...and...not have it affect your wty. I give this company a LOT of credit for this and they will seriously be in the running with my next car replacement. I really like the new Rondo (a model the USA doesn't get still..sorry guys) but again...where's the AWD and diesel option? Come on Kia...quit holding out on us...and let the USA have the Rondo too as I'm sure it would be a success there too.

• @crkyolfrt said:
    I like the new Optima..(this most recent generation). But I would like it more if Kia saw their way to offer it with an AWD and** turbo diesel option. **Why they don't try to get the jump on the new Mazda6 is beyond me...especially since Mazda has had some teething issues meeting our ridiculously impossible diesel emission regs in NA. And to really throw a wrench at Mazda, offering the AWD with an oil burner icing on the cake would really make things interesting.

Plus, if they actually did offer us a car that made this much sense, they'd better darn well off a trailer hitch as an option. This last wish is probably not a problem at all as Kia is one of the very few companies that will presently sell you a hitch even on their smallest car, the Rio...and...not have it affect your wty. I give this company a LOT of credit for this and they will seriously be in the running with my next car replacement. I really like the new Rondo (a model the USA doesn't get still..sorry guys) but again...where's the AWD and diesel option? Come on Kia...quit holding out on us...and let the USA have the Rondo too as I'm sure it would be a success there too.

Hey crkyolfrt. Thanks for responding

Kia does offer a 1.7 liter Twin-Scroll diesel in Europe, but like you said the clean air regulations make importing it to North America too expensive and the demand seen as too low to to offset the cost of cleaning the emissions up. It has an impressive 136 HP and 244 lb-ft for it's size. (.3 liter smaller than the benchmark VW 2.0 TDI but only gives up 4 HP, and adds 8 lb-ft to the 236 lb ft TDI). In other words they make the same power. I read a review that stated the Kia's diesel was more "diesel like" than the VW, meaning the VW was more refined and the power delivery was smoother.

I continue to enjoy the smooth, 2.4 liter GDI under the hood of my Optima. Although the engine is rated at 200 hp, I suspect the the usable power is more like 185 to 190. Buyers need to understand the the 6 speed automatic is geared more for fuel economy than acceleration, but it is a very amicable compromise.

I just wish the feel of the steering and the suspension was up to par with Honda and Mazda, but Kia isn't far behind.The vast majority of mid-size customers will be pleased with the way the Optima drives, with the way it looks, and will appreciate the quality interior materials and intuitive design (on EX and up models). The entry level LX is on par with it's low sticker price of $19,990, and is durable enough for rental fleet sales.

On the trailer hitch issue you brought up, I have never seen a Kia sedan/coupe of any kind towing anything. It may be a regional necessity in Canada, where the weather and the people that thrive in it like yourself have different needs. I am really curious as to what you need to tow!!

I think that Mazda has a lot to be proud of. ALL of their current models are extraordinarily well engineered and drive better than cars costing thousands more. I think Kia needs to figure out EXACTLY what bushings Mazda uses in their steering and suspension systems, and then implement them in their entire line.

Overall I agree with your diesel position crkyolfrt. America, please let the diesel's in that Europeans have been enjoying; and that Americans are increasingly interested in buying!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

PS-here is a picture of the 1.7 CRDI turbo diesel. It took me forever to find this picture. It is under the hood of a Hyundai Sonata wagon!! Never seen the Optima or Sonata wagon before today.

edited January 2014

Here is the Optima wagon you guys get in Canada and in the EU. I think it is sharp.

• Oops. Here is the picture.

Would like bigger pics. But wow..didn't know we were getting the wagon. Now take the comments in my first post and apply them to the wagon. Now we're talkin'..

Very interesting to read about Kia's 1.7 TDI. So frustrating though being stuck here with gas jobs rammed down our throats.

Probably not much chance of it happening (because also their inability to handle extra torque) but it sure would suck if Kia did actually bring a diesel AWD over and then saddle it with a CVT, :(

I gotta say, I MUCH prefer your rims to what they have put on that wagon. I am not a fan of Kia rims lately, and especially any brand that does the blackened out treatment. The Rondo has that too but at least not as hideous as these (turbo?) rims..It takes a perfectly good looking, handsome, classy car...and Corgi-izes it in one fell swoop.

I will say though, they look like they may be more fuel efficient than certain other 5 or 6 spoke styles. It's pretty hard to beat a 5 spoke (or variation of a 5 by doubling them like yours).

Re your comments on bushings. I agree that type/style and content play a big part, but so does geometric placement. Sometimes there are hoops to be jumped through in order to get the desired result in the end. And usually hoops mean more cost..and is just one of the reasons that a MB or BMW or Cadillac costs more to buy.

• I like wagons in general way better than SUVs. Sleek, classy and efficiant. Unfortunately, America is ruined by gigantic SUV's and quad-cab F-750's full of fat rednecks rushing from Walmart to get home to Honey-Boo-Boo. Trust me Canada......the DC area is a lot different than "that" America. No wonder the world hates us.

edited January 2014

"I gotta say, I MUCH prefer your rims to what they have put on that wagon. I am not a fan of Kia rims lately, and especially any brand that does the blackened out treatment. The Rondo has that too but at least not as hideous as these (turbo?) rims..It takes a perfectly good looking, handsome, classy car...and Corgi-izes it in one fell swoop"

Oh...the new 2014 Optima LX model has plain old 16" 5-stars! They look great....much better. I saw them at my dealer last week. No pictures online at all that I could find. Sorry.

What makes my wheels look good is my tire treatment. All I use is Armor -All tire foam. The trick is cleaning the crap out of the tires with soap and water, then wiping them dry with a towel. Then spray on the tire foam and leave it for at least 1/2 hour to dry. Do not wipe it off. Trust me, Armor All tire foam is awesome and there is no need to spend any money on wheel cleaner or Maguires $15 tire shine.

• Yesterday morning it got down to 6 degrees.This is the first time in 20 years it has been so cold.

My Optima did not like it. Both spray nozzles froze over and I could not clean my windows on the highway, which I just found out is a common thing about almost all cars. I just needed to report it however.

• New commercial features an Optima SX-L driven in new "Sport" mode to replace a child's dead goldfish before she gets home. Features the "Lone Ranger" theme song.

• lovmycarlovmycar Member Posts: 15

Just purchased a 2014 Optima SX Turbo, only have it about a week and about 3 hundred miles so it's to early to tell about MPG but I do know already this is a fine machine. Had the 2013 Optima about 15 months and had near 16,000 miles so I knew how it felt and all about it but this thing is a huge step up. With the new engineering that has been put in this thing the ride and handling is awesome, new suspension on this version and the Turbo combined with the 18" wheels it is extremely smooth and quiet compared to my 2013. Please don't get me wrong the 2013 is a great car and was nothing wrong with it but after test driving the only SX Turbo in the area I said to myself "Happy birthday, Merry Christmas" I was offered more than book retail for my 2013 so I couldn't pass it up. I will post more when I get a feel on how the mileage is compared to the 2.4 in the 2013. BTW it is quick!!!

• Congratulations! I am really curious about your experiences since you have owned both the 2.4 and the 2.0T. I have the 2012 EX 2.4, and I have 25,000 miles on it, but I have thought about moving up to the turbo many times. I love the SX-T interior and the new 18" rims, along with the new LED fog light setup. Not sure about the rear diffuser, but it is at least not plain like many other mid-sizers.
    Can you share some more information? Your rating of the infotainment and rear/side camera system, real world F/E, favorite features, new 2014 interior features, car payment, dealer experience, etc would be great.

Also, there is a mid-size-sedans 2.0 forum that is very active here at Edmund's if you want to talk about sport sedans/sedans in general.

Here is a picture of the SX-L interior. Mine is the same color exactly, but I see a few new buttons and minor interior changes for 2014. Almost everything looks like it should be in an Audi A6. I have seen the interiors on all of the mid size competition and nothing comes close to the quality we get for the money.
    Thanks for posting!
    Chris

Chris to be honest I still have things to discover on this new animal it's the SX-T not the SX-L that I have. The limited has gadgets an things I don't need or even want such as the rear view option and one more can't remember which at the moment. The one I have is Ebony black/black and I find the interior very nice, the seats are much nicer than my 2013 were and the overall look and feel inside is different. The sound system is also a big jump up. The dash is a bit different but very easy to see and read just had to figure it out. Paddle shifter's are something I will rarely use but kind of fun like a novelty. What I find that sets this thing apart from my 2013 more than anything is the smother ride and the noise level is way down and if response is an issue for you well it shouldn't be anymore with this thing. Beware if you test drive one!! LOL

• Awesome man. Glad you are happy with it, and maybe even a little jealous. One of the nice things about the Optima is that there are virtually no recalls or even TSB's (On my EX at least), if you exclude the first year steering/strut problem that caused a pull to the left). Also, every single visit I have had to the dealer has been free. All oil changes and tire rotations are on the house.

I have nothing but good to say about the 2013 I had, normal oil changes and tire rotation is all I ever had to do to it. Hope to have as good of service with this one. I don't drive hard so my MPG was excellent on the 2.4, will have to see on this one after it is broke in.

• Broke -in is much better than broke-en. Kia has come a long way. They have just introduced the K-900 rear wheel drive V6 or V8 model, known as the K-9 in Korea. It is a variant of the Hyundai Genesis, and looks a lot like the front drive 3.3 liter Cadenza, which is a version of the Hyundai Azera platform.

Getting a better feel of what the MPG may be on this 2014 Optima SX Turbo. A 300 mile trip mostly open hi-way with cruise set at about 72 mph, average stayed between 31.7 and 32.1. Have about 1000 total miles now. Doing great, this thing is awesome!!

edited January 2014

I was commenting on the K-900 (K-9 in Korea) on the mid size board about how Kia has the guts to name their top-end car a dog basically, and another user commented that the grill looks like a bone in it's mouth. LOL. (see pic below)

I like the car though. Here is a picture of my actual car as well. Glad you are enjoying your turbo. I added about $800 worth of mods on mine, including 35% tint (all) , OEM wing, mud guards, LAMIN-X fog covers, K&N intake, and an Infinity powered sub. I still enjoy the 2.4, and am afraid if I had the turbo I would get tickets!!!

:D I'm not sure about calling this thing a dog but I have a pet name for it anyway. I looked at the grill and I didn't see the bone. LOL Mine is the Ebony black w/ black interior, a bit hard to keep it as clean as I want in this kind of weather but it is beautiful when clean. I also had the special heat block tent added to the windows, cost more but with the black should help considering the black. Also had a body stripe added that really brougt out the outline and I find enhanced the overall sideview. The SX T comes with a lot of the items you mentioned as far as the spoiler than can be added in my opinion that is sort of an old time thing and I really think it would distract from the look. Right now it is exactly what I want it to be and i'm very well satisfied. A bit more use will give me a better feel of real world MPG but so far that even looks great.
    I'm not a young man anymore and not tempted as I used to be to test things to the limit but I will not lie and say I don't get a kick out of how this Turbo performs. I had the 2.4 and lets not lead anyone to believe it won't cause you to get a ticket, 200 hp that little inline 4 produces is up in the top of the class and it will get you in trouble easily. The performance of my 2013 w/ the 2.4 had little to do with the reason I sold it back to the dealership and bought this one. Actually it was an economics thing, with what they offered me to buy my 2013 which was above KBB value for individual resale at excellent condition with the low mileage and what I had to pay on the balance of the new 2014 after factory and dealer discounts was a no brainer. Will be posting more as I get a better idea on the correct MPG for hiway miles.

• The spoiler I added was factory. The same as yours. I would also agree that adding wings and spoilers is a very 20th century thing. I went to the Washington Auto Show on Friday, and was able to check out the K-9 and the Cadenza in detail without pressure to buy, which is nice. It is a beautiful car in person. Pictures do it no justice. We will have to see if Kia is able to generate enough of a customer base to justify production. I mean really, are people with 65 grand to spend likely to head over to Kia? Or over to Audi, BMW or Lexus? Only time will tell.

I have to say that the car I most coveted was a shocker to me and the buddy I went with

They had a black Impala LTZ 3.6 with tan and black interior. It was gorgeous. I tend to enjoy cars that I can actually afford. I enjoyed the new Corvette and the 2015 Mustang well enough, but I am also not a young guy (42), and I have 3 kids. Anyway, I am very happy with the Optima and I think it is the sleek sedan style that really catches my eye, no matter the make. The bottom line though, is my Asian car will still feel tight in 10 years...long after the Impala has been brought down by the elements...or a Lion LOL.

What do you think of the Chevy? (curious).

You are right that thing is beautiful! I havn't gone out an looked at it for the simple reason my mind was made up of what I wanted before the new design of this thing was even availeable. My 2013 had me sold on the new 2014 SX-T just had to actually see and test it and then the party began. Honestly I was always a GM guy till the mid 80's and up into the 90's when a Buick and 2 high dollar Pontiac Bonneville's gave me the same problems consistently, that made me try something else. I went to a Mazda 626 in 2002 and had such good luck with it I had planned on sticking to Mazda but in 2009 I didn't care for that version of the Mazda6. I went with the brand new version of the 2009 Sonata SE V6 and I was sure happy I did, great car. But my X has it now unfortunately for me, oh well no big deal. I looked at the Sonata's but opted for the Optima instead, much more value for the same money. In 2013 for me to get a Sonata in the same class as the Optima I found I would have had to go with the SE version plus an upgrade on a couple options to get the same things I had on my 2013 Optima and that would have made the bottom line sticker on the Sonata SE plus the extra's about $3500. more than what I paid for the Optima, it was a no brainer. The Optima I got and the Sonata are sister cars, sure a little different on the body and interior design but engine/drive train the same. My taste in looks I preferred the Optima and for the time I had the 2013 all I can say is, what a wise choice. Someone at the dealership had been eye balling that little thing since I bought it and had a couple minor things done to it and every time I had it serviced there were comments made about it. Thats the big reason they offered me so much to buy it from me and also why I got such a huge discount of the new one. I'll sum this up by saying, it is very wise to keep your car maintained according to the factory recommendations and have it on record "have it done at the dealership you got it from" this way there is a trackable record in their computer for everything done and when. At the time of trade or resale (as in my case), money in the bank. Maybe not so much of an issue if you plan on driving what you have till the wheels fall off but I assure you do as I said and if you change cars while yours still has warranty and fairly low mileage it can be significant. I actually considered the economics in this last deal and I couldn't pass it up. This is the best car dealership I have ever dealt with and unless something changes I plan on sticking with them. Extremely nice people willing to help with anything and no pressure, they present the facts an then it's on you.
    This is the way I see it, if you have to go to war at a auto dealership to get them to work with you in the long run you won't be happy. I'm gone for now but let me add this little bit. I'm not even going to throw a number out as to how many new vehicles I have purchased for me my wife and our 3 children over the past 47 plus years but a word of advice. Do your homework and come up with a plan on exactly what you want, equipped as you want it then search prices this way you will know more than the salesman you are dealing with. Awe him/her with your knowledge of that vehicle and don't let he or she sell you the car YOU BUY IT on your grounds not theirs. Tell them don't beat around the bush with all kind of bologna about like "let me run this by the sales manager" or crap like that, you should already know about what the bottom line is if you did the research. Tell them to give it their best shot the first time or you're walking and then if the results are not to your liking do just that, politely start walking and don't look back unless they accept you deal, be polite but stay firm. Just so you will know it works for me every time because I know things about the relationship between the dealership and the auto makers that most people don't. Sorry for the long winded session but some of you will thank me for what I wrote. Now go out and have a great auto buying experience and remember buy it don't let them sell it to you. Have a wonderful day!! Gary

• hudd2hudd2 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014

Thank you for your nice and informative post. Vehicle financing or car financing provided company provides us car or vehicle loan by which we can easily buy a new car. You can visit vehicle financing for more information.
    Thank you

• @hudd2 said:
    Thank you for your nice and informative post. Vehicle financing or car financing provided company provides us car or vehicle loan by which we can easily buy a new car. You can visit vehicle financing for more information.
    Thank you

Please no soliciting or post bots

• Happy with you Optima?
    Have an unresolved issue?

Please let us know here!

edited February 2014

Cold weather operation.

This morning it was 13 degrees F on my outside temperature gauge. The engine turns over a bit slower, and is noticeably louder until it warms up.The gear changes are more noticeable, and the car seems to roll kind of "lumpy" at low speeds, like the normal radial-tire flat-spot (against the ground) is frozen in place. The LCD's are slow to respond to input as well.

All of this is normal, and I am posting it for new owners so they don't worry. The car warms up very quickly, producing heat within 5 minutes of start up. The dense, cold air makes the engine feel more powerful, making it feel even more fun to drive. Even though I don't have the 2.0T (274 HP), I still have 200 HP out of the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder.

Is the 2.4 a high-power engine? Lets put it this way. If I connected another 2.4 liter at the crank, (making it a 4.8 liter V8), it would put out 400 HP, and 372 lb-ft of torque.

To give this perspective, my 4.7 liter V8 in my Jeep G/C put out 235 HP, and only 300 lb-ft.

The 2.4 liter in the Optima has more base engine horsepower than than ANY other car in it's class. A lot of car (EX) for sticker $24,850, which includes leather, fogs., dual exhaust, SAT radio, Bluetooth, backup camera, 6 speed sport shift auto plus much more. It is simply a gorgeous car.

Last but not least...it carries a 10 year powertrain warranty, and a 5 year, 60k bumper-to-bumper is standard. Extend the B2B to 10 years for less than $1000. Buy it if you intend on keeping it for a long time, especially if handing it down to kids, etc.

So with my negotiated $21,880 price, plus extended warranty, taxes, tags, and 1.9% 5 year financing;

Total of payments = $24,880. I couldn't have asked for more.

Fairfax Kia was easy to deal with on the purchase, and is mostly good about service as well.

** Do not buy the " free tire replacement warranty". It requires you to pay $160 for "120 point service and inspections" at every oil change that you do not need at all. By the time you pay for that for 3 years, you have already paid for new tires.

*** Oil changes are free at my dealer. Tire rotation is $20. Cabin air filter is $59. Buy your cabin filter at Auto Zone/Advance/Pep-Boys for $7. The filter is in the glove box. Takes 2 minutes.

-Chris

• So, does anyone have any snow experience in their Optima? Please post it!

• The abnormally cold weather has left DC/MD/VA roads cratered with potholes, causing almost epidemic levels of flat tires and bent rims. My Optima has fared very well. I have hit a few holes downtown that should have kicked me to the curb, but it just kept on truckin'.

Also, the Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires I put on last July are fantastic in the snow, sleet, and the rain. Hydroplaning resistance, snow and rain traction were my top requirements (and quiet ride) after I replaced the Nexen's, which were terrible in all things except dry traction. The Bridgestones even look better, with and aggressive and racy looking tread pattern that belies their true purpose. I am not interested in competing at the Daytona or on the Nurburgring. I want it to keep myself and my 3 kids safe in this congested area in all kinds of weather, and a quiet, composed ride...and the Optima delivers there. In spades. :)

edited March 2014

Duplicate.

• New car cover from eBay. Spring pollen season is coming fast, and here in the CD/MD/VA it lasts for three solid months. I for one am tired of washing car just for pollen buildup, and that pollen can very easily scratch your paint. $32. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261390064855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

edited March 2014

Next generation Optima news!!!

The radical 2015 Optima has a caterpillar rear section with side to side action and up and down movable wings for propulsion. Combined with an aggressive upper and lower grill, parted horizontally in the middle to allow a forward venting exhaust port to release red hot combustion gasses. :o

It is also notorious for it's captivating demeanor, especially with daughters of Kings and Queens located in large stone estate homes.

Is this what I have to write to get people to post??? ;)

I didn't need that much to get me talking about my new Optima. LOL A bit of info on the Turbo. Just before the turn of 3 thousand miles and the 1st oil change a calculation was made on MPG. Combined city and hi way about equal I would say came out to 28.14 MPG. I think after a little more break-in time it may go up. On this tank of gas so far is mostly hi way with a bit of bumper to bumper mixed miles and the average is showing above 31. I will calculate around next oil change. Seems to be very little difference from my 3013 with the 2.4 as far as MPG. The car in general very different. It's very quiet extremely smooth handles like a dream and quick. The torque this little engine produces at a very low RPM is unreal. Very satisfied with it!

edited March 2014

Yes, I was very bored that day. Glad you are enjoying your 2014. It is going to snow AGAIN here tomorrow, so I put on my new car cover. It is supposed be 4 to 6 inches, so it will not be any kind of snomageddon situation, and I am off tomorrow so I plan on enjoying it. I am really happy I get to keep my wash and wax nice and safe under the cover until Tuesday.

What kind of driving are you doing to get that kind of MPG? It is very congested here, but still, I am getting 19 mpg. I am a little tired of it, no matter what the circumstances.
    Perhaps it has something to do with my K&N filter? I dunno.

I do very little driving in highly congested areas and I live close to open hi-ways. My normal use is more open road than in city so i'm sure that has much to do with my MPG being as it is. I usually keep up with traffic speed on the interstates so that does put me at well over 70 MPH much of the time. The MPG could look better if my foot wasn't so heavy. Don't get me wrong I don't use it as a race car I take off smooth and slow and rarely get down to hard. I am well satisfied with the mileage.

• You are driving just fine! Most people would kill for that kind of real world MPG. Especially the 6 million people around DC metro. I guess my 19 to 20 mpg is probably right on the money considering the short, low speed trips that my car is forced to endure daily.

• On a another topic, I had a letter printed in Car and Driver in the backfires section of the current issue. Believe it or not, this is the second time I have had a letter printed in C/D, but the last one was 20 years ago. I have written to the editor maybe 5 times in that time, so it isn't a case of bombarding them with mail.

Here is a picture of it:

edited March 2014

Ordered carbon fiber "K" badges, exhaust valance, and license plate frames. It is the finished, clear lacquer kind of real carbon fiber. After seeing it on another Optima, and noting that my chrome license plate covers are very corroded, I pulled the trigger to dress up the back of the car w/o being too gaudy. (I hope)

Pictures to follow.

• There will be a first annual, Washington DC area Kia Optima owners meet at Potomac Mills Mall.on Sunday, April 13th at 1:00 PM. If you are interested in buying an Optima, come to the meet and get real answers from real owners. Already own one? Meet up and talk mods, MPG, prices, 2.4 turbo kits, you name it!

We will be initially meeting up at the IKEA at Potomac Mills.

I just installed carbon fiber "K" badges and a real Carbon Fiber license plate frame, after my heavy chrome frames corroded, and I wanted a less flashy-chrome look. Here is a pic:

Looks very good, Chris. Probably even better in person. I am surprised to read about the premature corrosion on the original parts. Your car is only 2 years old and rarely gets exposed to salt. Plus you keep it impeccably clean all the time.

• @crkyolfrt said:
    Looks very good, Chris. Probably even better in person. I am surprised to read about the premature corrosion on the original parts. Your car is only 2 years old and rarely gets exposed to salt. Plus you keep it impeccably clean all the time.

Hey cranky!

This year it snowed a lot, but they were corroding before winter. The extra snow, salt, sand and cold this winter just finished them off... or so I thought!

The chrome plate covers were aftermarket, and the funny thing is that once I got them off the car, I found a bottle of CLR, and it completely killed off all the corrosion. Effortlessly, w/o even scrubbing! So, now I have an extra set.

I had no intention of making the car lighter with carbon fiber, but it is 10x lighter than the chrome ones I had on there and I like the look better. The badges took all of 15 mins to replace.
    It is nice to hear from you!

-C

Interesting about the weight difference. Carbon fiber has always mystified me with its abilities. Looks good, is super strong yet incredibly light. Of course it's expensive so no free ride.
    Having less weight on a trunk lid is always a bonus though. I find that over the years either the struts or springs get weaker and often requires help to raise or keep them up high enough that the lip isn't in your way with larger stuff when your hands are full.

Nice mod though, how much was the pair?

edited April 2014

Well, I was talking about my corroded ones on www.optimaforums.com, stating I was thinking about getting c/f ones if I could get an pair for $50 with free shipping.

One of the vendors who post there (K5 Optima Store) said "sold". So I bought them. They are made by SEIBON, who make serious parts for F-1, NASCAR, etc.
    Anyway, he didn't check the price and they were $37 EACH! Lol. However, he kept his word and I got them.
    These are 5 layer c/f, with clips molded in to hold the bottom of the plate, and covered with gloss resin for a perfect finish.. On the back you can see how the layers compressed when the air was sucked out of the mold. Honestly, I was just jazzed to hold c/f in my hands for the first time! So, then I bought the carbon fiber "K" badges to match the plate frames. I know... I am totally anal.

Anyhow, here is the SEIBON link to theirs. You can buy it direct for $32 each.

http://seiboncarbon.com/store/products/carbon-fiber-license-plate-frame.html

edited April 2014

DC AREA MEET AND GREET

This past Sunday marked the beginning of the first annual Washington DC area Optima owners meet. With only a weeks notice we managed to attract every year, make and model, color, and almost every modification the industry has to offer. We met at Potomac Mills Mall located 25 miles south of DC, with most people having to endure hours of congested I-95 traffic to get there, including myself. Every part of the DMV was represented, and no two cars were alike, right down to the wheels!

A professional photographer arrived with the Bel-Air MD group, and took some great pictures shown here!

Spawned by a growing following of this popular model, there was a meet in West Chester, PA on the same day. Instead of spending 4 hours each way in grueling traffic here in the East-Coast megalopolis, a board member on a competeing site started our own event. We hope to become a larger event, possibly called the Mid-Atlantic owners meet which would attract more people from points south.

• tylorness88tylorness88 Member Posts: 5

Ok so I just bought a 2014 optima LX and I'm not sure if it is normal but my gas pedal seems to have this popping feel to it almost like every crack in the road is felt by my foot. Is this something to look into or is it just a new car needing to be broken in? The dealer said its nothing but we all know dealers.

• That does not sound normal. It sounds like there is a loose bushing or p[possibly even a motor mount loose, so every time you go over a bump it shakes the engine, then therefore that gas pedal it is attached to.
    Is this a brand new car or a dealer demo? Was it a low mileage used car? Like with less than 5000 miles on it? This means two things. 1) Previous owner financing fell through, 2) car is a lemon and owners finally traded out to another car.

W/O more info this is all I have to theorize about. Good luck. BTW.... if it is a lemon, upgrade to an EX,

• DC AREA MEET AND GREET

This past Sunday marked the beginning of the first annual Washington DC area Optima owners meet. With only a weeks notice we managed to attract every year, make and model, color, and almost every modification the industry has to offer. We met at Potomac Mills Mall located 25 miles south of DC, with most people having to endure hours of congested I-95 traffic to get there, including myself. Every part of the DMV was represented, and no two cars were alike, right down to the wheels!
    crkyolfrt said:

Interesting about the weight difference. Carbon fiber has always mystified me with its abilities. Looks good, is super strong yet incredibly light. Of course it's expensive so no free ride.

Having less weight on a trunk lid is always a bonus though. I find that over the years either the struts or springs get weaker and often requires help to raise or keep them up high enough that the lip isn't in your way with larger stuff when your hands are full.

Nice mod though, how much was the pair?

The pair was $50 and it should have been more like 70. However the guy I bought it from had competition but I'm glad I stuck with him because the quality of this finish was fantastic. A note about material quality and strength
    Yes the carbon fiber is strong, but it has absolutely no give. After parallel parking a car backed into my front carbon fiber license plate cover and I found it on the ground in a million pieces. There was no damage to the car. But I bought an aftermarket plastic one for the front and I never bothered to spend that much money on license plate covers again. You know Carbon Fiber it's just cloth and epoxy so it's basically a bunch of glue and a carefully gridded cloth. Then the air is sucked out and it's cooked at like 200 degrees 4 a day or so I guess it's the cooking process that is so expensive it's hard to mass-produce the substance