Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Seems to slip into neutral briefly

wbr1982wbr1982 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lincoln

My parents' 2006 Town Car will suddenly seem to have shifted into neutral upon acceleration. It only lasts a moment, and the car runs fine otherwise. The dealership says they have never heard of this, can't get it to happen while they drive it, and don't know what to check. The extended warranty is coming to a close and I think they are trying to wait that out.

My father is a mechanic and had his own shop for many years. It does nothing but insult him to be told foolish things like, "This is normal for this car" when something malfunctions.

Have any of you had this experience with your cars? I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions about what could be causing this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177

It is not normal for the transmission to slip between shifts. The transmission is computer controlled. The computer sends signals to solenoids, which are inside the transmission, to make it shift. I suspect that one of the solenoids is malfunctioning. Your Lincoln dealer should have the equipment to check the transmission; but they don't like to do the check for free. If you have to go into the transmission to replace one of the solenoids you may as well have all of them changed.

• Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

Fortunate your father is a mechanic. I believe one of the solenoids is malfunctioning, however, it may be worth changing the oil & filter in the tranny to see if fresh oil helps. It did for me in a 95 TB, 4.6, AOD.