Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Dealership told us wrong delivery date what can I do?

fasbreakfasbreak Member Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in Toyota

Ok so, at the end of January I ordered a new Toyota Highlander for my wife and the dealership told us we should see the vehicle at the end of February/beginning of March. On February 4th we received an e-mail from the dealership giving us an expected date of 2/24 and we would be contacted if there were any changes. On 2/17 I contacted the dealership to confirm the arrival date, and the dealership told me the 24th if not the 25th. After confirming we sold my put my wife's car up for sale and sold it. (she was off work for that week and didn't need her car). On Friday I called the dealership again to see when we could come by and pick up our new car. Again I was told it should be here Monday let me double check and call you back. I get a call back about an hour later from the sales man saying he was way off on the arrival date and what he was looking at was the date the vehicle was leaving the factory! and that the vehicle won't be here for another 3 weeks. That's when I went online and saw the exact vehicle we ordered was for sale on cars.com at a nearby dealership but when I called they said it had already sold. Now my wife doesn't have a car and the dealership told us they would rent us a vehicle for $25 a day, costing us $500. Should the dealership be obligated to give us a loaner car or is it right for them to rent us a car?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014

Dealers have been known to overpromise to take buyers out of the market so they won't shop around for a better deal or a different car while waiting for their "reserved" car to arrive. Don't know if you have any recourse. If you have stuff in writing, I suppose you could talk to your local consumer protection agency or a lawyer. Usually when you "order" a car, you should get a VIN and tracking information telling you where that specific car is.