Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Highlander 90K Service

derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
Hi all: Great forum. My Highlander is approaching 90k miles. I would like to bring to my local mechanic (toyota certified) for a tune-up/service. My understanding is Toyota recommends the timing belt at 90k and I'll probably have the water pump done as well. What other service should I have my mechanic do? What does Toyota recommend. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance -

Comments

• Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota recommends taking money from your pockets and putting it into theirs.

I would ignore the 90k service until about 150k...I have.

And I would bother with the water pump unless you see a seriosu level of drippage from the weep hole.
  • Options
    derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    At a minimum I should do the Timing Belt? At 80k I changed the tranny fluid.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Well, you pay your money (or you don't) and you take your chances. Most manufacturers recommend changing the timing belt between 100,000km (60,000 miles) and 150,000km (90,000 miles). Toyota is at the longer end of that band, suggesting that they have greater confidence in their timing belt system than some other manufacturers.

However, timing belts do break. In non-interference engines (ie where the pistons do not move into the same area of the cylinder as the valves are located when they are open) the failure of a timing belt is not usually catastrophic. For an interference engine, you run the very real risk of the pistons impacting upon the open valves, resulting in bent valves or seized pistons. Gates suggest that the 3.3 litre Toyota engine fitted to the Highlander is an interference design.

As with all preventative maintenance, you have to weigh the cost of maintenance against the cost and probability of catastrophic failure of the machine.

Coincidentally, I am having a 100,000km service done tomorrow and had quizzed the service guys on the timing belt replacement interval, presuming it would be 100,000km. They confirmed the 150,000km interval for the Kluger (Highlander) here in Australia.

I would be very reluctant to run a timing belt past manufacturer's recommended replacement interval. It is not a hugely expensive maintenance job but the cost of even a second hand replacement engine is (on Australian prices), about 30 times greater.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    bobny1bobny1 Member Posts: 1
    The Toyota dealer quoted a price of $1700 to change the timing belt, water pump, 3 seals, and I think another belt. This work would be on my 2004 Highlander 3.3 V6 with 66K miles. That seems a little steep to me. :mad:
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

That sounds pricey. The actual time to change the belt is not huge and cost of belt not much (about $55). I suspect that the major cost is in the other bits you are looking to get done.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Don't over-maintain your vehicle.
    You are wasting money. Why not donate these money to the needy?
    TB? 90K. WP? No replacement if no leak showing.
    3 gaskets? Are you serious? No replacement if no leak.
    You bought a Toyota, correct?

What your vehicles need are oil change, fluid drain and replace (tranny and transfer case if AWD). Others are "optional"....

These things should be the last things you worry unlike your German-vehicle owning brothers.... I used to be one.
  • Options
    motorcitymmotorcitym Member Posts: 1

Most foreign vehicles use timing belts and older ignition technology. Great revenue for dealers to charge you what may be more than a transmission in a US car. $1,700 timing belt, $300 for tune up every 35,000 miles, all adds up to $2,600 at 100K miles. US vehicles go 100k w/out tune up and have timing chains that last forever. US also gives you 100K warranty vs. 60K on powertrain. Better gas mileage as well. Next time drive a US vehicle you may be surprised by the quality, safety rating is almost always higher. Consumer Reports dropped Toyota Camry and Highlander because of the tougher collision tests - we all know they are biased to Japanese. Best Consumer Reports comment: Chevy Suburban interior is cramped, Honda Civic is roomy...yeah they are open minded ay?