Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota Highlander

matthewhwolfmatthewhwolf Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Hyundai

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a used year 2010 - 2012 mid-sized SUV and I'm trying to decide between a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Toyota Highlander. I'm looking for it to have around 20K - 30K miles or so. I've noticed that the Highlander is about $5k more with this criteria ($25k vs $20k).

V6 vs V4 doesn't bother me so much. In fact I'm fine with a 4 cylinder because it gets the better gas mileage. I also don't care about a 3rd row.

My question is really about reliability. I currently have a 2003 Toyota Camry and the thing drives great and is a very reliable car. I'm worried about the Santa Fe not being as reliable as the Highlander. Also, if there is a problem with the car, is one cheaper to repair than the other?

Anyone have feedback on choosing between these models or perhaps can recommend a similar vehicle in this price range?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2014

You sure see a lot of Santa Fe's around so people do like them. But as you've discovered, Toyota still enjoys a better reputation for reliability and commands a premium resale price for that rep.

The wrinkle is that most newer cars these days are pretty reliable, so you may wind up getting a better deal overall with the Hyundai. I don't know if parts or labor would be any cheaper with one vs. the other.

Getting service records would be a plus, and having your own mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection on any used car is cheap insurance.

• Options
    matthewhwolfmatthewhwolf Member Posts: 2

Thanks Steve for the feedback. :)