Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Auto Transmission & Power Steering Maintenance - When is it really needed?

microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508

I brought my 2009 Mazda6 i in for the door bolt recall and had an oil change while there. Service writer came out before they finished and said that with 57K miles my car needed rear brakes (possibly right) and the power steering, the tranny, and the brake lines should all be drained and refilled. I told him I'd reschedule due to time constraints. But I was appalled at the total price (~ $900) and concerned that not all that was actually NEEDED !

I have never heard of the power steering needing normal draining and refilling and I have a a hunch that the tranny and brake fluid isn't really needed until the 90-100K mile area.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than getting the work done elsewhere, if needed?

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

If your transmission has never had a fluid and (if there is one) the filter changed I would have this done immediately. After five years changing the brake fluid would be a good thing.

I have NEVER changed my power steering fluid and have never had a PS problem.

900.00 to do this work is NUTS!! even with new rear brakes!

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2014

According to the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide, there's a bunch of stuff to check but not necessarily change at 60,000 miles.

I'm not as proactive about fluid changes as Isell, but by all means, if you decide to change stuff, shop around for another dealer or independent shop. Dealers generally don't make any money on warranty or recall work and it sounds like this dealer was trying to pump up the profits a bit. And service writers often work on commission, so you do have to be a bit careful.

(And if you decide to change the transmission fluid, avoid "flushes", especially those using external machines and "cleaning" additives).

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited March 2014

For sure...NEVER let a shop "flush" your transmission! Excellent point!

I usually change my trans fluid around the 30,000 mile mark. On Hondas all you do is pull
    the drain plug. No pan or filter.

I figure it's cheap insurance.

• Options
    shermajdshermajd Member Posts: 29

I have a 2006 Mazda 6s. Like the Honda isellhondas mentions, their is a plug on the transmission pan to drain the transmission fluid. Not sure if the 2009 6i has a similiar set up or not. I do alot of my own work. I can tell you that changing the brake fluid takes about 15 minutes of time and about $10.00 of material. Brakes are easy to do and I do it right by lubing the pins on the calipers, the whole shebang. It sounds like this dealership is trying to make a living off one customer - YOU! I would avoid this dealership like the plague. Even if you can't do the work yourself and I understand peoples reluctance to do so, this dealership is ripping your off. BTW, always understand a service advisor is nothing more than a service SALESMAN.