Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Outlander Tires, Tires, Tires

124»

Comments

• Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459

I'll be replacing my tires this fall. My '10 GT has 35K miles now and I'll probably add 2-4K more over the next few months. The OEM tires really performed poorly this past winter. Acceleration was OK with the AWC but handling & braking were really bad.

I'll be looking for all-season tires that are rated as good in wet/snow. On my last sedan I had purchased Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds and liked them but am not sure they make Assurance tires in the Outlander's size.

2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606

I was in Chile and Argentine 2-years ago and I drove all the way from California with my Outlander GT 2012. My Outlander used during this journey tires 225/55R18 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. The Yokohama tires were very good on the majority of terrain. However when the road was not even (patched roads, gravel/stoned, pot holes, grooved, etc the low 55 tire profile was no match for these type of roads. Vibration was very strong and in order not to punish the car the car’s speed had to be reduced to 10-20 miles per hour.

If you want to take your GT from even roads to uneven roads the best advice could be to beef your tires to cope with the new type of roads. That is what I did and bought 225/60R18 Falken Euro winter. This size of tire brings the car suspension to the limit of tolerance, so the brakes and sensors will still work properly. This change has allowed me to drive the car on uneven roads (snow/ice, small pot holes, mud, grooved) at speed greater than 40- miles per hour with tolerable vibration. The effect of the change is immediate. Better grip on snow/ice, mud, small saving of petrol, smooth driving, etc. I have overtaken more than 100 lorries/big trucks on roads covered with 2-inches or more of snow at speed above 65 miles per hour. It was a scary experience but it was needed to reach locations /towns in Russia on time.

• Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    After doing some research on replacement tires for my '10 GT I settled on the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires. My main requirements are good wet/snow traction and a quiet ride. The OEM Goodyear Eagle LS tires stopped being quiet a long, long time ago and this past winter their snow traction was very bad (even with AWC).

I couldn't find the Ecopia anywhere; Firestone reported it to be on national backorder. Their suggested substitute was the Michelin Defender, which I agreed to have installed last Saturday.

While I haven't driven many miles on them so far, I can say that at non-highway speed they are very quiet. I hope that proves to also be true at highway speed; I'll know for sure in teh coming week. Wet traction has been good; I haven't pushed to see what it will take to break traction/trigger TCS but they look to be a marked improvement over the aged Goodyears. We haven't had enough snow here just yet to validate the improved traction but I'm confident they'll prove to be a good replacement.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)