Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good deal or not for 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe

smetzlersmetzler Member Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in Hyundai

Dealership offered $13,998 (final offer) for 2011 Santa Fe GLS. It has the following:

50,082 miles, AWD, Bluetooth, Plus standard items

Looks clean, well taken care of.

They put on new front/back breaks, tires, battery, and air filter.

It is a motor trend certified car.

Carfax checked out OK.

Just trying to see if a good deal or not.

Thank you.

Shawn

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Sounds like a very good deal Shawn, since TMV for a 2011 in a Midwest zip code is $16,322. That's for a GLS 4dr SUV, AWD, 4 cylinder. You can appraise it here yourself and dial in the color and double check my work.

I generally use "clean" for the condition. Few used cars really are "outstanding" in my opinion.

And even though things have been checked out and "certified", it's cheap insurance to have a pre-purchase inspection done by your own mechanic.

• smetzlersmetzler Member Posts: 23

Thank you for the feedback and help. I plan to take it to my mechanic for a double check.

I decided I am not going to trade in my Corolla since I thought the $2,000 was too low.

Now they will not budge on the price of $15,998. It still seems like a good deal with the items they added (brakes, battery, tires, air filter), but it bothers me that will not budge on the sticker. Maybe it is a good deal with the price as is.

They did the normal we are only making $95 or so on the deal routine.

Ah, well, having a trade does change the equation. The price before the trade-in does seem more in line with TMV.

Thanks. I concur on it being in line. Sorry for any confusion.

Based on what I read, it seems like a decent deal. I have tried multiple times for a discount, but they will not budge. I offered to pay the full amount and they would not budge. The noted since this was an internet price, that don't change the price. Anything can be negotiated.

I just never bought a car at sticker, so it just seems like it is not a good deal (and feels wrong) to buy at sticker. Maybe it is a decent deal.

Well, they (presumably) have your number. If the Santa Fe sits on the lot another week or three, they may knock some more dough off the price. Meanwhile, there must be other Santa Fe's around you can tire kick, and it's not like you are having to walk and have to have a replacement vehicle immediately.

The dealer may think they need to get their money out of the brakes and tires. And they'll have to pay for that certification somehow (the buyer will pay in other words). But that's their problem, not yours. (A battery is what, $100, and an air filter runs around $15 for most cars so they don't get any points from me for those items. Nice that they did the work though).

Thanks.

I agree they are probably trying to pay for the certification.

Do I need the car now, no. Can I walk away, sure. My Corolla works fine.

I have looked at four similar models all priced higher ($500 - $1000) than the one I'm looking at. I have not tried to negotiate with them at this point. My concern is with the other ones, I'm assuming in due time I will need to replace the breaks and tires. With this one, it is already done and already priced a bit lower. Even if I get others to match the price, I probably still have the investment of those maintenance items in the near future. Other cars have miles around 40K.

I hear you - brakes and tires could be a thousand dollar bill.

Thanks for the feedback.

So do you think a good deal at $15,998? I have tried three different managers - all say they do not discount the internet price. I have also tried to use the internet buying option, no luck as they indicated the price is firm. They say their policy is if a used car is on the internet (which means all of them), those prices are not negotiable.

I called other dealers and did not get an exact "no" for an answer on discounts, but more or less reading between the lines it seems they will not negotiate the price.

Have things changed in the user car industry, or am I just having bad luck? I have never purchased a car at sticker (even though it is supposedly discounted already from 19K).

I forgot to note these items.

Car Max will give me $4,000 for the Corolla. I have a friend of a friend who is in the car auction business. He guaranteed me $4,000 if not more. The trade-in is out of this deal.

It is a 2.4L, not the V6 AWD.

They are basically saying it has already been discounted below the retail value. When I look on line, it seems the price for retail is about $16,400 and certified about $18,032.

The rule of thumb I use is to try to beat TMV. You can't always do that but you really don't want to pay much more than TMV. How much less you pay depends on lots of things, and as you've found, some dealers just won't budge, even though they have a willing buyer standing by.

Internet prices do get lowered if a car doesn't move. You could be patient and watch their website. But you might lose that car.

Right now it sounds like you have an "okay" deal. I'd probably do it myself, but I'm not that much of a grinder (or negotiator).

Thank you for your feedback. You have been very helpful.

I don't think we have a blush icon. :)

Your real ace in the hole here is your Corolla - if CarMax and the auction guy both think it's worth $4k, you might be able to sell it yourself for $5k or more. Or just keep driving it and wait for the next creampuff to come along if this Santa Fe falls through.

Thank you again.

I have now reviewed five similar cars (same year, style, features) all with around 38K - 42K miles. I have let the dealership know this fact. All five are priced higher ($500 - $1,000) but none have new tires, breaks or a battery. I will need to complete that work in due time.

The car I'm looking it has the new tires, breaks and battery and is already $500 less. My mechanic indicates the car is in great shape.

I can walk away and hope the price drops, but I may lose the car which seems better than the other five. Also, after 60 days the dealership sells it back to the auction.

The prices is lower than the market value and the certified value.

Like I noted, the car sticker is 19K, but the internet price is 16K. I just need to get past (if I can) paying sticker price (well really an internet price) is OK. It is just the concept of a car dealership not coming down on a used car price, but maybe that price is a good price. Maybe they are going towards a Car Max approach (no haggle approach).

Another way to look at this is to figure what value the car offers to you. You like it and it checks out mechanically. It that's worth $16k to you, who cares if the dealer marks down the price? The real issue is whether you think it's a good price.