Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Brought new car home and my AWD purchase is actually Fwd.

3514vmach13514vmach1 Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in GMC

I almost can't believe this, but the car my wife and I dealt on last night I put on my hoist this afternoon when I got home and it not the awd model we negotiated on, but rather fwd.
We contacted our salesman (whom btw is 4 hours away) who was initially in disbelief, then vary apologetic.
They call back wanting to know if there was any way we would keep the car, but my wife really had her heart set on awd for winter use.
So now I'm wondering how much more they will want for the awd I already thought I bought. Also in this circumstance how much if any I should pay for it.
I'm glad I caught it with only 450km on the car, but can't help but think most customers would not have found out until the snow came back, or maybe service time, but not likely.
I need to call the sales manager back now to see what they are thinking. They have a twin available in awd, but it's likely the white on we test drove, not black, as my wife wanted.
(which had to be brought over from another lot, we looked at it but the battery was flat, so we never drove it until after the sale)
Her 1st choice,was a blue one. But they wanted 1500 for freight to bring it from Alberta to Mb, which I think was a push towards settling for the black on the lot, as there is no way it costs that much to ship a car from 15 hours away.
Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Sigh. I'd unwind the deal and start over.

Actually if it were me, I'd tell the guy I was buying the AWD for that price, and if they deliver the white one to me, I'll settle for the white. But I prefer white cars and there's no reason why your wife should settle. ;)

Re the blue one, down here in the states, a typical transport fee for a "long" dealer swap is $800. Your provinces are big and all, but the freight sounds out of line to me, even if the Acadia was going to be flatbedded from Edmonton to Winnipeg. So another angle would be to offer to split the transport fee and get the blue one (but I'd want it flatbedded, not driven over by a car porter).

(If it helps, we're actively car shopping and this sounds exactly like something that would happen to me too).

• 3514vmach13514vmach1 Member Posts: 5

I'm actually almost as embarrassed about it as the dealership, being a equipment mechanic myself.
    Now I'm looking through the last 5 pages of transmission posts and wondering if we want an Acadia at all.
    Have the wave plate issues been addressed with better parts from 2010 on? Also water pump?
    I take the if the timing belt breaks you get bent valves and it best be changed when recommended?
    Is there some posts I should be reading about what to expect on these cars, or have most of the issues been ironed out by now. My wife has been a GM loyalist, never owning anything else.

Our 01 grand prix served us loyally for 13 years and 300000 miles, outside of tires and brakes, it needed less then $2k worth of parts. Sadly, Ontario's insistence on ridiculous amounts of road salt has turned it to dust.
    I seriously considered buying a used newer grand prix cheap and miling it out again, as the ones in Manitoba don't seem to rust much.

Heh, sounds like Michigan. I drove two older pristine "desert" cars here from Boise ~4 years ago and the rust from the salt is amazing.

It's hard to say about the wave plates just from reading forum posts. It's definitely been an issue, and it may still take another year or two for posts for recent models to trickle in.

But people who don't have transmission problems have no reason to post, so the percentage of problem vehicles is hard to pin down. Honda CR-Vs were notorious for failing AC compressors a few years back and their forum discussion was full of irate owners, but other sources seemed to indicate that the "high" failure rate still only affected maybe 3% of owners, and probably just 2%. That's not much consolation if yours is one of the ones that fails though.

Nice country up there btw; got to go across 39 from Flin Flon years ago. Wish there was a road to Churchill. The train would be a long haul.

Now they are offering,full list on awd $3000 cdn and $1036 freight to bring blue one in from Alberta, One thing they are not scared to be greedy!
    Maybe I'll tell them to come pick it up in Ontario.

edited April 2014

Even better, park it in Halifax. :D

At least the freight costs are a little bit more reasonable on the blue one.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Heh, sounds like Michigan. I drove two older pristine "desert" cars here from Boise ~4 years ago and the rust from the salt is amazing.

It's hard to say about the wave plates just from reading forum posts. It's definitely been an issue, and it may still take another year or two for posts for recent models to trickle in.

But people who don't have transmission problems have no reason to post, so the percentage of problem vehicles is hard to pin down. Honda CR-Vs were notorious for failing AC compressors a few years back and their forum discussion was full of irate owners, but other sources seemed to indicate that the "high" failure rate still only affected maybe 3% of owners, and probably just 2%. That's not much consolation if yours is one of the ones that fails though.

Nice country up there btw; got to go across 39 from Flin Flon years ago. Wish there was a road to Churchill. The train would be a long haul.

If you read the "problems" forums you will be afraid to buy anything! Those forums attract problems like a magnet. It's almost like misery loves company.

As an example, I was still working at Honda when I heard from a customer that he had read (guess where?) that CRV's were "notorious" for A/C compressor problems.

So, I asked the Service Advisors about this and they looked at me like I had lost my mind. I checked with our Parts Manager and he looked up and discovered we had sold TWO
    CRV compressors in the last 12 months. I asked a couple of our top techs and neither of them had EVER changed a CRV compressor!

My only point here is that problems tend to get amplified in internet forums.

Getting back to that 2WD Acadia...wow...it doesn't sound like they are trying to help much. Maybe just keep it and invest in a set of Blizzaks?

Well they come down to a 1000 up charge for the same awd with 200 cheaper blue paint.
    I tried to get it for 500 extra, but so far they are saying no.
    Drop fwd one back off with 780km on it and left for now, have to get my Wife's input and she is not available until tonight.
    Biggest downside is 3 weeks to deliver
    I'm going to ask a couple other dealers to see if they want to match, just to see and maybe they have something on the lot.

edited June 2014

Well finally picked the AWD car up May 27. (bought the first one April 22) No remote start installed, apparently 4 weeks is not long enough to plan for that. They installed the trailer hitch of the tow package I paid for, but NOT the wire harness. Nor did they mention it was incomplete. Also the hitch is a cheap aftermarket one with no bracket for the rv trailer plug. Also no front license plate mount or rear plate screws, because the car came from Ab (not required there) and no one at Birchwood is professional enough to consider that detail.
    I had the remote start installed locally May 30. But cat finish the hitch without welding a bracket to it to mount the plug on and buying the harness and plug. I new about the remote start before leaving the dealer but the wiring and plate mounts were another surprise the dealer left for me.
    They offered 500 off for the remote, I got a local quote and they agreed to cough up the $604 it was actually going to cost.
    Then another 250 after I got home home for the plate mount and wiring, that's if the cheqs ever come.
    Its going to be a LONG LONG time before I ever buy anything from Birchwood GM or any of their other 9 dealerships in Winnipeg Birchwood Automotive Group. I'd suggest you do the same.

Gm corporate has also offered a 250 gas card, Which means I'm getting about $5 a hour for all my time the dealer wasted not doing what they agreed to.
    Does anyone know where I can buy the Twist Lock trailer plug bracket that GM and Ford uses?
    Apparently I'm going to have to buy or make one and weld it to my new car, finish the wiring myself and rivet on a front plate mount because GM dealers are not required to finish the NEW vehicles they sell.