Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2014 Jeep Cherokee transmission service message

mkrenesky1111mkrenesky1111 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Jeep

have new car less than 700 miles/bought 12/31/13. driving tonight an suddenly the transmission service message displays, car loses speed dropping into lower gear. actually may have shut off as I got another series of messages including one telling me to place car in P and restart the car. scary.

also get message that parking brake needs servicing, traction control turned off

anyone heard of this in a Jeep but specifically a 2014 Cherokee Latitude?

Comments

• Options

sorry. V6 engine

• Options

also. attempted to drive off highway I was on. car skipped, like transmission slipping. then seemed to find a gear and drove fine until I slowed down, then slipping again until back up to speed.

• Options
    bruspellbruspell Member Posts: 6

Hi. I had same thing happen with power loss this past Monday. I was leaving dealership after third visit in two weeks regarding the check engine light coming on. Traction control turned off, power loss was severe, barely made it back into dealer lot. This is our first Jeep (2014 Cherokee Latitude, small engine). Today I was told that transmission, engine, etc. updates were installed on the system. I am supposed to learn sometime tomorrow whether the 'fix' worked. Regardless, this is not what I expect with a new vehicle (about 10,000 miles when the problems began). Depending on what they tell me, I may well be in the market for another vehicle.

• Options

Update on my April 9th commentary: The vehicle was at the dealer for four days. When I picked it up on April 10th the service manager told me that a STAR case had been opened(#S1419000001). They found code P219A in system for fuel ratio imbalance. MAP sensor value was compared to another vehicle. Purge solenoid operation was found ok. O2 sensor values checked ok. Chrysler engineer supervised service tech, and installed updates to reset transmission to factory settings. I have driven vehicle just over 300 miles since the work was completed, and so far it is performing perfectly. I will update again in a month.

• Options
    chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35

Good Morning bruspell,

Sorry to hear you were having trouble with your 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. Glad to hear the dealer was working with STAR to diagnose and repair the vehicle.

Hope your vehicle continues to perform perfectly. If you have future concerns please do not hesitate to contact Jeep directly.

Phone: 1-877-426-5337 or email: www.jeep.com/jeepcares

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC

• Options

So, here's my final update to my 4/10 and 4/15 comments on our issues with the 2014 Cherokee Latitude: On the 18th the warning light again came on. The dealership had promised to 'make us happy' if the problem was not solved after the last effort. We are now driving a 2014 Cherokee Limited. While the solution to the vehicle problem remains elusive, the solution to our issue was more than satisfactory. If you track the case number that I left in my earlier post you will be able to learn what repairs were made.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Sounds like a great resolution and a good dealer.

• Options
    genessgeness Member Posts: 3
    Looking for help here also. 2014 Limited with 25,000 mi. Had it for service two weeks ago for premature airbag deployment recall; 15 minute computer update and that is when the problems started. The next day, on interstate going 70 mph, emergency brake suddenly comes on. MIL light comes on, emergency brake light on dash comes on, screen warning "Pull over and service transmission immediately". Car seems to be in 2nd or 3rd gear, 3500 rpm at 40 mph is as fast as it will go. Pulled over, stopped engine and restarted half a dozen times. MIL is still on, emergency brake light on dash is still on (not illuminated on brake button) huge clunk when shifting from park to reverse or neutral to drive. Drive light on dash is flashing as is drive light on console. After 5 minutes of stopping and starting the problem goes away, except for the MIL. Drove 50 miles with MIL on. Got home, I scanned for codes without turning the engine off; no stored codes or freeze frames. Turned engine off and restarted, MIL goes off. Dealer doesn't have a clue what is wrong. Two weeks go by and the problem doesn't reappear until last night, same exact scenario. Twice now, 70 mph, and the emergency brake comes on.
    This is a failure that could cost you your life; I think the NTSB should know about this.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    Yikes! Here's the link to report it to the feds, if you haven't already. I'd report it to Jeep too. Doesn't sound like the typical "limp" mode behavior.
  • Options
    Thank you. Filed a report with NTSB
  • Options
    Update. Local Jeep dealer had car for 5 days. They called to tell me that they couldn't fix it and I had to call Chrysler to get them to figure out what was wrong. So, I have a car less than one year old, less than 25,000 miles, under warranty, with a transmission/emergency brake problem that will bring the car to a stop at 70 mph within seconds and it's my responsibility to escalate the problem to get it fixed. After 7 Chrysler products in 20 years, this may very well be my last. I can not imagine a dealer telling a customer that they don't have a clue how to fix the problem. I told the dealer to use Google, they might learn something. I sure hope the NTSB gets on board with these issues before people are killed or injured.
  • Options
    nznzgogogonznzgogogo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, mkrenesky1111 I had the similar issue with my 2014 cherokee. How did you solve your problem?
  • Options
    brbegrl29brbegrl29 Member Posts: 1
    This is my 3rd Jeep.  Normally lease a Grand Cherokee but dealer talked me into the new Cherokee model released for 2014.  5 recalls later and numerous system 'quirks' I'm at my wits end!! Less than a mile from my house the car starts jumping, one safety feature after another starts to disable and alert my dashboard, my auto shift which is in drive starts blinking and here it goes...message saying service transmission.  Move gear into P then shift back into gear...as soon as I moved the shift lever the car died.  I was in the middle of traffic during all of this!!!  A few minutes later it was able to get it in drive all the alerts are still going and sputtered back home where it shut off in my driveway!!! This is the last straw!  The dealership just had it towed to service which will reopen in the morning, who knows what they will come up with this time.  Bottom line this car has had way too many recalls and 'sensory' issues to be just a fluke, it's only 1.5 years old w/ less than 17000 miles on it.  It's dangerous and Jeep should have held it back before releasing the new design in 2014 because it was obviously not ready.  This is the last Jeep I'll ever drive, I'm scared of this car.  
  • Options
    drhctrydrhctry Member Posts: 1
    My 2014 Jeep Cherokee done the same thing. I noticed it had problems downshifting after the update they made at the dealer. Now its at the dealer 47xxx miles and in limp mode same as others have described. I hope that I don't get charged for their F up. I bought the extended warranty. Now on this Jeep. Normal driving. only time ever in 4 wheel drive was a couple winters ago when we had a lot of snow. Over the years I have owned many jeeps but with the problems I have seen with the Chrysler's and now has happened to me. I'm not very happy.
    I was looking at a new Charger 3 weeks ago but bought a Altima. Sorry Chrysler but I have to have something dependable.

If the Chrysler group is listening. Help me change my mind. I am looking on trading soon for a bigger SUV. But with this Cherokee I will have to probably take a big loss.
  • Options
    tdhall10tdhall10 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all the same thing is happening to our 2014 Jeep Cherokee, we currently have it at the jeep dealership in the shop where they are telling us its the fuel pump and will cost $1000 to fix.  Did this happen to anyone else..i don't think this is the issue when the transmission warning light comes on  please help
  • Options
    terrynieterrynie Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue just now as tdhall10. I was driving close to home and my 2014 Jeep Cherokee v6 started lurching. The transmission service message came on. I was able to make it home, but the car stalled three times and the drive indicator (D) was flashing. My local Jeep dealer says the fuel pump is to blame and wants $1450 to replace it. I guess it makes sense because of the lurching and stalling, but we'll see. I won't get it back for 2-3 more days.
  • Options
    mslisa72mslisa72 Member Posts: 1
    Having same problem as Geness. I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited haven’t had one year yet only has 43000 miles bought it for my daughter who is graduating. The Reverse and Drive lights are blinking, I shifted the car into park, neutral all that. Turned engine off restarted car, those lights when off that were blinking, when shifting the car into gear it jumped into gear, while driving the emergency brake kept coming, none of the lights on the odometer or RPM gauge are working.  Plan on taking it in to dealership tomorrow.  This is my first Jeep, have really enjoyed it till lately. A couple of weeks ago had to replace the radio that stopped working. Had the recall that was out taken care of.    I hope that Jeep has figured out the problem by now as I see these post are from years ago 
  • Options
    Nikkia2Nikkia2 Member Posts: 1
    We have owned this preowned 2014 jeep Cherokee limited at 32,000 miles for a little over 1½ years. 2 months in we already had abnormal shifting from 1st-3rd gear from upshifting and downshifting, lunging when attempting to stop, lunging into gears when in motion to feeling powerless when pressing the accelerator. 
    *Dealer recommended battery replacement to ensure computer could work at full capacity, DONE
    3 weeks later abnormal shifting reoccurring.
    *Dealer recommended transmission valve body kit replacement, DONE
    Abnormal shifting occurred again 1½ months later
    *Dealer recommended a now available computer update, DONE
    Recieved vehicle back with the abnormal shifting still present. Not even at 50,000 miles.
    *Dealer recommended new transmission, DONE
    3 days later, my vehicle will not drive, will not catch a gear my R light blinks and dash says service transmission. We have not found a fix either but I dont know that there is one.