Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Makeshift Bike Rack - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Ram
imageMakeshift Bike Rack - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

This update to the Edmunds' long-term 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel includes discussion of a makeshift bike rack we built for its bed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

These full-size pickups with the mini-beds...and Edmunds just keeps buying more of them. Insane.

• Options
    handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

@fordson1 said:
    These full-size pickups with the mini-beds...and Edmunds just keeps buying more of them. Insane.

Amen. I have an F150 SuperCab with the 6.5' bed. I use the truck as a truck. The bed is the most important thing. If I have to bring along more than another person, they can make do in the back seat. I would NEVER give up bed capacity for passenger comfort. That's what CARS are for.

• Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471

...And yet, this truck (and the Silverado) was able to perform the exact function that the author wanted. Come on, people -- 5 1/2 feet of bed is 5 1/2 more than a person had before they bought the truck. Is it as functional as a 6 1/2-foot bed? No way, but it's a hell of a lot more functional than zero feet (or the awkward-sized cargo hold in your car or SUV).

• Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

@handbrake said:
    Amen. I have an F150 SuperCab with the 6.5' bed. I use the truck as a truck. The bed is the most important thing. If I have to bring along more than another person, they can make do in the back seat. I would NEVER give up bed capacity for passenger comfort. That's what CARS are for.

Yet you drive a F150 with a 6.5ft bed IE Short bed.

Once again 8ft beds are the standard anything shorter then that isn't practical in a truck. Edmunds has seen this movie before and they keep wanting remakes of the same tired thing.

@misterfusion said:
    ...And yet, this truck (and the Silverado) was able to perform the exact function that the author wanted. Come on, people -- 5 1/2 feet of bed is 5 1/2 more than a person had before they bought the truck. Is it as functional as a 6 1/2-foot bed? No way, but it's a hell of a lot more functional than zero feet (or the awkward-sized cargo hold in your car or SUV).

While you make do with what you have a truck is too expensive of a investment to comprise like this hence the reason why people are better off getting the long beds.

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

@misterfusion said:
    ...And yet, this truck (and the Silverado) was able to perform the exact function that the author wanted.

Yeah - this 6,000-pound truck was able to transport a 27-pound mountain bike. A triumph of functionality.

I could have carried it in my GTI without even removing the front wheel.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I roll both of mine into my minivan and bungie them in upright, nicely protected from the elements and locked up behind tinted glass.

• Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471

@fordson1 said:
    I could have carried it in my GTI without even removing the front wheel.

Sure, if that's all you ever planned to do, then don't buy a truck. A lot of people -- far too many -- buy trucks like this for the wrong reason, i.e. "image". But I am not referring to those people. I'm just saying that there are plenty of use cases for a truck that can carry more than 2 people, yet still fits in a bloody parking spot. Of course, a smart buyer will have considered the various compromises and benefits before purchasing.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Substitute "bike" for dirt, mulch, flooring, 4x8 sheet goods, refrigerators, hay bales, Doberman filled dog crates, and you're still ahead in a minivan. Not to mention the low liftover height.

I don't like towing stuff but I do plenty of forest service roads camping out of my van. For the 4WD stuff, well, I've already sat in a car getting to the spot - that's when the bikes or boots come out.

• Options
    handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

@hybris said:
    Yet you drive a F150 with a 6.5ft bed IE Short bed.

You didn't read what I wrote. I said I'd never sacrifice bed capacity for passenger comfort. I need the supercab configuration so I can throw stuff behind me and have it in the locked cab. If people have to ride back there, so be it, but I didn't sacrifice the 6.5' bed I wanted. I didn't want an 8' bed because I don't want a truck with such long dimensions. I'm not sure where a 6.5' is a short bed, but it sure ain't anywhere I go.