Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Impala loss of power, check engine light

chicklet1chicklet1 Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Chevrolet

my 2008 Impala while driving will say loss of power and and it will not go very fast, it does this often, I can pull over, turn engine off and stop for a few minutes and start it back up and it will be ok as far as the speed , but the check engine light will be on. it will stay on for some time before it will go out, also my brother has a 2004 chevy 2500 series pick up and he has the same problem with it,
does anyone know what is causing the problems? it is very upsetting to me when this happens, there needs to be a recall on the problem because it is happening to so may chevys..

Comments

• Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381

You said a recall is needed on the problem because it happens a lot.

Then what is the problem? I'd like to know.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

This sounds like it could be the Reduced Engine Power issue that others have mentioned. However, this is the first time that I've heard of it occurring on a Chevy pickup, and one that old. It's usually 2008+ model years that we see.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    msbjmsbj Member Posts: 2

I just had my 2011 in the shop for the same thing. Service Stabilitrak started flashing on my dash board then the loss of power occurred. I was able to drive it on home as I was within a couple of miles of there but was terrified it was going to leave me stranded in traffic. Took it to the shop today. They said it was the accelerator sensors and the throttle body that was bad cost me $800 to get it fixed. Hope that solves the problem.