Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Heritage Details - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Jeep
imageHeritage Details - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

A small, Easter-Egg-like decal on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited's windshield reminds the driver of the brand's long and proud heritage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143

Or it shows that someone in marketing figured out that if you add an additional 2 cents worth of black paint to the window people will drop $25k plus on your hatchback with a lift instead of the competitors hatchback with a lift. These little "hidden gems" have been popping up left and right lately.

• emajoremajor Member Posts: 332

"Now, some could certainly question how much of that heritage applies to a Fiat-based crossover "

I certainly would. In most trims, I would be fairly annoyed that Jeep thinks this kind of trick would fool someone into believing this vehicle had the capabilities of the predecessors that created the heritage in the first place. This is gimmickry, like stenciling the silhouette of a '57 Chevy onto a Cruze.

• cah11705cah11705 Member Posts: 12

I don't understand why people are so upset about a Jeep being car based. Jeep is Chrysler's SUV brand. It's not like they are building this instead of a Wrangler. It also is still pretty capable and badass in Trailhawk trim (though the pricing is absurd).

• juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2014

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-v-6-4x4-first-drive-review-more-on-road-refinement-than-jeeps-cherokee-of-yore-page-2
    Apparently, it's extremely capable. Think of this as the Evoque of the sub-premium crossover segment. Both nearly as capable as their heavy duty lineup siblings, but at a more reasonable price point without sacrificing quality or the joie de vivre of the brand.

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

I would won't be so opposed to this new trend of Jeeps being more car like if they at least retained the standard RWD/PT4WD setup that a Jeep is expected to have. The fact that there is a FWD Jeep is an abomination unto itself.

@juddholl10 said:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-v-6-4x4-first-drive-review-more-on-road-refinement-than-jeeps-cherokee-of-yore-page-2
    Apparently, it's extremely capable. Think of this as the Evoque of the sub-premium crossover segment. Both nearly as capable as their heavy duty lineup siblings, but at a more reasonable price point without sacrificing quality or the joie de vivre of the brand.

Only the Trailhawk is capable off road. And at $30K to start, the price point isn't that reasonable. This Limited trim is just another soft-roader. Stencil an image of a 1970s Toyota FJ landcruiser on the current RAV4 if you want the appropriate analogy.

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445

I don't get the hate for this vehicle. If you want a "real" Jeep, buy a Wrangler. Jeep has to compete in the crossover segment, they have to be profitable. Based on sales, they clearly hit the mark with this vehicle. Most people buying Wranglers and Grand Cherokees don't drive off road, so why not build a vehicle that is primarily on road biased? I think this offers something different from the CRV and RAV4, good for Jeep.

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

I agree with @throwback and others. To begin with, the Cherokee isn't replacing the Wrangler or GC, so no worries there. Second, Jeep entering the crossover segment is nothing but a good idea, that's a very large and important market. It'll help the brand stay in shape economically, which means that they can keep their hardcore off-road models undiluted.

As for this whole 4WD or FWD debate, what's the big deal? A vehicle with standard FWD will be lighter, cheaper, and more economical. That's perfect for drawing in customers who are comparing it to the competition or don't need or want 4WD, again - more sales! If you don't want it, don't pay for it. Cool. Here's the kicker, every model, from the sport to the limited, can be equipped with 4WD for those who want it. There's even a sweet Trailhawk model if you're willing to pay for it. Sounds like Jeep has models for a wide range of customers, talk about good business sense.

Having said that, the Cherokee still seems to fall behind the better crossovers in some areas. That's why this little windshield stunt isn't a bad idea. They're getting their off road nostalgia and "I'm adventurous" vibe to work for them with these little details. Welcome to Marketing 101 folks.

• phil160phil160 Member Posts: 7

Just drove one of these over the weekend (wife wants one, I wasn't sold on the idea) and I have to say that I was extremely impressed. I did NOT expect to like anything about it, but was completely turned around once I sat in it an drove it.

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

I always thought that all Jeeps should be AWD, like Subaru. A basic AWD setup for all models would differentiate them from competitors and be a real indication of their heritage. A more capable AWD system with locking diffs and hi/low range gearing would be available for people who do serious off roading.

Throwback, since I'm one of the few negative comments on this thread, I'll assume that was partially meant for me. I don't hate this vehicle, it makes sense in the marketplace. But a Fiat-based soft roader is stretching the traditional Jeep brand identity a bit, and adding "heritage" decals to trim levels that are not capable off road is a bit dishonest. No biggie, really, but since that's the topic of this post, that's what is being discussed.

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

@allthingshonda said:
    I always thought that all Jeeps should be AWD, like Subaru. A basic AWD setup for all models would differentiate them from competitors and be a real indication of their heritage. A more capable AWD system with locking diffs and hi/low range gearing would be available for people who do serious off roading.

This is what I mean Jeep should mean 4wd standard across the line because that's what a Jeep is a 4x4.

• ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39

I don't commenters who want to hate this vehicle. Face reality folks:

1. Jeep is still making the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee. They both are great rock crawlers and sell 100,000+ per year.
    2. Jeep needs more product than those 2, and there is demand for vehicles like the Cherokee. LOTS of demand. There are Escapes, CRVs, and RAV4s everywhere you look.
    3. It's not wrong for Jeep to play in this sandbox too, and I personally think Jeep has done far MORE to create a capable FWD-based off-roader than anyone else. So why criticize that?

I don't love the styling of the Cherokee, but I think Chrysler has positioned this vehicle well, and has in general done a great job with the Jeep brand for 25 years. I remember Jeeps from the 70s and early 80s. They weren't so legendary back in their own time.

• duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649

I don't understand the hate. Have people forgotten that monocoque Jeep Cherokees have been made since 1984? This was before I was born!!

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

I don't hate the vehicle...but this post, with the little silhouette and the Jeep "heritage" deal - is kind of a joke.