Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

CarMax Offer - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
imageCarMax Offer - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew Long-Term Road Test

I took our long-term 2014 Chevrolet Silverado to CarMax. Here's what they offered us.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Are you certain that you're not getting a special "edmunds" discount? Kinda like how Tesla admitted that they may have treated you guys differently? They have a 2013 Silverado LTZ with Z51 package listed on their site for $33k. Somehow, I would imagine that Carmax is interested in making more than 10% profit even on a quick sale. I would've expected something more in the range of $27k-$28k for an immediate cash offer sale.

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580

I think the more expensive a car gets the more ugly 24% becomes. I have a truck with over 200,000 miles on it but since it was so cheap when new it has depreciated close to the same dollar amount as yours. This is why if financial logic plays into it at all you have to either buy used or keep it over 10 years. Driving new cars is great but 8 years of cycling through them every 2 years and you've paid for an extra one with the depreciation.

• Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

@zimtheinvader said:
    I think the more expensive a car gets the more ugly 24% becomes. I have a truck with over 200,000 miles on it but since it was so cheap when new it has depreciated close to the same dollar amount as yours. This is why if financial logic plays into it at all you have to either buy used or keep it over 10 years. Driving new cars is great but 8 years of cycling through them every 2 years and you've paid for an extra one with the depreciation.

Yes... and you've been driving new cars all along. Pay to play. I leased my latest car. I know Dave Ramsey would smack me with a ruler, but I just like cars, dammit, and I can afford to live a little. If I lose it all, I'll go pick up a jalopy and make do. If your car is an appliance, be smart and buy used. If it's fun and you can afford it, then buy new and enjoy.

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

I find it hard to believe a banged-up bed did not cost you any value. You don't think CarMax would make more on a truck with an undamaged bed?

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

@ahightower said:
    Yes... and you've been driving new cars all along. Pay to play. I leased my latest car. I know Dave Ramsey would smack me with a ruler, but I just like cars, dammit, and I can afford to live a little. If I lose it all, I'll go pick up a jalopy and make do. If your car is an appliance, be smart and buy used. If it's fun and you can afford it, then buy new and enjoy.

I disagree. Buying a used car is always a gamble. Some times you get a good one some times you don't. If you're the type of buyer that drive a car till the wheels fall off (daily driver), then you should get new. After 10 years and 200,000 plus miles you got your money's worth. If you want an expensive luxury or sports play toy get used and let someone else take the depreciation hit. Is there really a lot of difference between a 2010 and a 2014 Porsche 911?

• Options
    robbrophyrobbrophy Member Posts: 1

@allthingshonda said: Is there really a lot of difference between a 2010 and a 2014 Porsche 911?

Errr...pretty huge difference, yes.

• Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    edited August 2014

@robbrophy said:
    Errr...pretty huge difference, yes.

And to show that difference we are going to give both of them to our tame racing driver. Some say that he puts Rain-X on his visor every morning. Others claim that he knows how to write in Latin. All we know is he is The Stig.