Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Audi A4 vs. 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Comparison Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
image2014 Audi A4 vs. 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 Comparison Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds compares two of the leading luxury sedans. Includes on-road driving impressions, analyses of each car's strengths and weaknesses, instrumented test data, photos, specs and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140

The better fuel economy, higher horsepower/torque and sleeker styling of the C-Class are impressive, but given a choice, I might still select the A4. The A4 is available with a sport package (though not included in this comparison) and it is also available with a manual transmission....a fact that cannot be ignored by people who love driving. Also, based in various reviews and comments, I believe that the 2.0T engine in the A4 is smoother, more refined and more pleasing to listen to. All of this at a lower, more competitive price.

• rxkerxke Member Posts: 168

Based on recently test driving the 2015 C Class with the 4 cylinder engine I found it to be very smooth with good acceleration. The C Class 4 cylinder engine has more horsepower than the Audi (241 vs. 220), is light weight, and handles very well. I have owned Audi A 4s in the past and the 4 cylinder is fine until 50,000 miles when it requires expensive repairs. In terms of looks, interiors, quietness, and a feeling of luxury the C Class has a much more upscale feeling than the Audi, but that is more of a personal decision. The exterior design of the A4 after so many years seems old looking. I agree that the advantage of the Audi is that has a manual transmission option. The bottom line is I will be ordering the new 2015 C Class.

• bateman_atxbateman_atx Member Posts: 1

This comparison is apples to oranges. Bring in the last gen C Class or the next gen A4, then compare them (not to mention, equip them similarly with sport packages). That is a sharp looking interior on the Benz, sans the goofy looking nav screen ... lots of nice touches on the doors. The next gen A4 will surely have a pop-up screen, which is the best way to go.

• bkarlanbkarlan Member Posts: 1

S60 T6 AWD with the Polestar upgrade, at or less than these prices. Much faster, more comfortable, safer, looks better.

• cowichancowichan Member Posts: 5

How credible is a review from people who can't even subtract 23 from 25.4?

• 300zx_lover300zx_lover Member Posts: 7

Very cool review. Can we see the C400 vs the S4?

• lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240

Based on prior experience I would pick the C Class over the A4. The Audi I had was fun to drive, but once the OD hit 50K it was major repair time.

• niallybniallyb Member Posts: 2

Its a pity they used the all season rubber on the A4. I've owned the A4 with standard setup and all seasons and it felt a bit wooly. I currently have an A5 with the sports package and summer tires and BOTH the braking and handling experiences are SOOOO much better. Such a small change made a massive difference.

All that said of course - the new merc is a VERY pretty car with a killer interior. I'd be happy to drive one.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

The price difference of just over $7k speaks to the fact that this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Equip the A4 with improved suspension and other options, and see how it compares then. That might narrow it down to styling (subjective) and better fuel economy in the Benz vs. still saving a few grand with the A4.

• rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144

So, just out of curiosity, what happens to the A4 at 50,000 miles?

• _driver72_driver72 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2014

These prices have gotten out of control for 4 bangers. It was only a few years ago that I got both my e90 335i and e92 335i both for right around $50k with the premium and sports packages and a few other options....and they came with a twin turbocharged Inline 6, not a noisy, rough four banger.

Seems ridiculous to spend $50k on a entry level sport/luxury sedan (or coupe) and get a motor no bigger than what you get in a VW GTI for $25k

Oh and the tacked on iPad looking nav screen in the C class would pretty much delete the new C class as a buying option for me. Might as well put a Garmin on the windshield, wouldn't look much worse and would probably shake and vibrate less.

• _driver72_driver72 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2014

Speaking of VW and the 2.0 Turbo motors in these entry level luxury sport sedans.
    The upcoming Golf R will also have a turbocharged 2.0L engine (with 290+ hp), also have AWD, have more utility than either of these cars here (C300 or A4), have an interior that's not far off the quality and luxury of these cars, and will absolutely destroy them in any driving "sport" contest the C300 or A4 chooses to participate in. And the Golf R will be about $35-37k
    The rest of your money is mostly paying for a name.

• themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436

New car beats old car

• softrose4yousoftrose4you Member Posts: 12

Mercedes Benz did a wonderful job with the C class. It is the best out there for now.......

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214

We had our 2003 A4 for 75K miles and now have 66K miles on our 2009 A4. No engine problems on either one. We plan to replace our current A4 next year. It will be fun to try out both of these cars, but for the kind of money they are asking, I am sure there will be other cars to look at also.

• niallybniallyb Member Posts: 2

I've owned 2 A4s and an A5 - never had any engine problems

I'm also confused as to why some of the posters here equate a bigger engine with better value? My last a4 was a V6. Thought I loved it until I felt the torque surge from the current 2.OT. Its not as free revving but it performs quite a bit better.

Its NOT geared for economy though :)

• luckysluckys Member Posts: 1

The audi a4 is old now, lets see what the new one looks like. I am hoping for this. Better looks outside, better mpg, very important a diesel option and ventilated seats ( yes ventilated seats which the c now has and the a4 and bmw 3 do not have !
    Also have a pop up nav or built in screen not a tacked on one. Do not change the size of a4 bigger is not better in this case!

• ne1butu2ne1butu2 Member Posts: 21

I'm a total Audi fanboy, but I really do like the new C-class. It's reasonable to expect that it would outdo the aging Audi, which has always been a lukewarm performer compared to the class leading S4. I do hope that Audi makes a category leader with the upcoming A4, and really goes nuts with the next S4. Mercedes set the bar higher with this car, and it'll be interesting to see how Audi responds.

• cbrandicbrandi Member Posts: 21

Seriously who would buy an Audi, but someone who knows nothing about cars. The A4 is a VW Passat.

• stur3186stur3186 Member Posts: 1
    2 over priced cars..
  • akoch1akoch1 Member Posts: 2
    As a 2014 S4 owner, I would select the C300 vs the A4, however... I would still select the S4 vs the C400 with which it competes.
  • akoch1akoch1 Member Posts: 2
    ne1butu2 said:

I'm a total Audi fanboy, but I really do like the new C-class. It's reasonable to expect that it would outdo the aging Audi, which has always been a lukewarm performer compared to the class leading S4. I do hope that Audi makes a category leader with the upcoming A4, and really goes nuts with the next S4. Mercedes set the bar higher with this car, and it'll be interesting to see how Audi responds.

I completely agree with this and I'm really excited to see what Audi does with both the new B9 A4 and S4!
  • darryl144darryl144 Member Posts: 1
    I could not disagree more! I could not read this review without grimacing every 2nd or 3rd paragraph. To quote the author, "The Benz's $3,000 Sport package, however, brought a measure of response to the sedan that was distinctly absent in the Audi. And the Mercedes' throttle, transmission and steering are adjustable over four drive modes. The differences between (sic) them are significant enough to matter, too." I happen to drive a 2014 A4 Premium Plus with the Sports Package. That package offers viable adjustments among steering, suspension settings, throttle and transmission response, it also offers sports seats and paddle shifters. Further, Audi has been setting the benchmark in interior design, fit and finish for quite some time. The interior of the A4 perpetuates that tradition. How could Edmunds possibly put this forward as a 'fair and balanced' comparison. Many of the features not included on the vehicle used in this comparison are available on the A4 Premium Plus. The discrepancy is so great that it makes me wonder if there's some sort of collusion going on here. Give us a comparison using vehicles that have similar options. Jeez!