Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Toyota
image2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Road Test | Edmunds.com

We test the 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro, a more capable and focused TRD off-road package that will appear in showrooms this fall.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144

Overall package seems nice. I think the black and red accents throughout the interior and exterior are a nice touch. Although rubber mats would have been better-suited for this Tundra TRD Pro than carpeted ones. Also, some projector headlights.

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445

Best looking Tundra to date.

• Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

Overall a tough looking and well specified 4x4 truck. I'm surprised there's not even an option for a locking rear diff, though. Yeah, you can do it aftermarket, but I'd rather get it from the manufacturer so it's well integrated and covered by warranty.

• Options
    kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150

Sure looks like a Ford

• Options
    jrt600jrt600 Member Posts: 3

$46K and no automatic AC? Same issue with the 4Runner TRD too I'm sure. I don't understand Toyota's regression in this department...the '03-09 4Runners had automatic AC across the board (dual zone in the Limiteds), now only the Limiteds have automatic AC. For those of us who live in hotter climates, it is nice not to have to fuss with the AC's temperature & fan speed 2-3 times on every drive. Like DVR, once you have it, you won't go back to living without it. I just can't believe Toyota is being so stingy by no longer offering such a cheap, useful and popular feature that they formerly included as standard.

C'mon Toyota, get your act together...you're better than this. Right?

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

@darthbimmer said:
    Overall a tough looking and well specified 4x4 truck. I'm surprised there's not even an option for a locking rear diff, though. Yeah, you can do it aftermarket, but I'd rather get it from the manufacturer so it's well integrated and covered by warranty.

Yup, that's a deal killer for me. I'm hoping the 4runner version has lockers.

• Options
    tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65

Interesting article - really big truck for a forest trail 4x4 situations, OK for open road 4X4, desert and sandy beaches. I'm curious if Toyota is going to change the Tacoma for 2015, to include new exterior styling, new dash-board (like the Tundra dash), rear disc brakes, sun roof option, 6-speed auto, better fuel management (direct injection) etc, or run into a 9 year cycle with same/similar current body and power-trains?

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451

We hope to bring in the 4Runner version soon. It's based on the 4Runner Trail, so it'll have whatever diffs that one has. No KDSS, though, because the front lift puts total travel outside the range of the KDSS cylinders. Articulation is improved because of the extra travel, though. 4Runner and Tacoma don't get any interior changes. Its just suspension, exhaust, tire/wheel (and a shift knob).

As for the timing of an all-new Tacoma, I don't expect it until 2016.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited August 2014

Pricing was released today. My estimated base price of $45,500 turned out to be a little high but not far off. Today's announced base price for a TRD Pro CrewMax cab like we tested is $43,900 plus $1,100 for the mandatory delivery and destination charge. That works out to a total effective base price of $45,000 even.

The Double Cab math is $41,285 + $1,100 for an effective base price of $42,385.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    tajohnson7tajohnson7 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an all black TRD Pro double cab. I've test drove a lot of trucks and I fell in love with this one. Its combination of look (Toyotas best looking truck), ride comfort, interior design (the red stitching is beautiful), and the sound of the engine, set this truck apart. Not to mention Toyota's reliability and quality is something Ford and Chevy are lacking. Highly recommend this truck. You cant beat the value
  • Options
    tajohnson7tajohnson7 Member Posts: 2
    Also, I'm normally not a fan of double cabs. Most truck double cabs require you open the front doors before you can open the back ones. The TRD PRO is not like that. It technically has 4 doors, just not the full size back seat. But since Tundra back seats are HUGE, the TRD Pro double cab feels like a normal back seat. A large man can sit back there comfortably.
  • Options
    cruisecontrol9cruisecontrol9 Member Posts: 2
    I think it looks great, but I agree with jrt600. I don't understand why it wouldn't come with the automatic AC?
    We have been selling, installing and troubleshooting cruise controls for over 25 years. http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com