Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3 - Edmunds A-Rated Compact Sedans Face Off Video | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Honda
imageHonda Civic vs Mazda3 - Edmunds A-Rated Compact Sedans Face Off Video | Edmunds.com

Two cars and two Edmunds.com editors Face Off: the Honda Civic vs Mazda3. Editors James Riswick and Mike Monticello debate the merits of each compact sedan, including their performance, comfort, interior, value and how much (or little) they're fun to drive. Which compact sedan would you buy the Civic or Mazda3

Read the full story here

Comments

• dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    I've been a Honda loyalists for ages, but I would choose the Mazda (in sedan form). Much more fun to drive, much better design inside and out, and a really good value.
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    In the Mazda, any trim piece that has the faux carbon fiber embossed onto them, like around the window switches, scratches incredibly easily. Once it's scratched, it remains looking scratched. That's completely unacceptable in any car, at any price point in my opinion, and the Mazda ain't that cheap considering how flimsy looking the interior appears.

This is where I don't have faith in this little indepently owned car company trying make a decent profit off each sale. That interior may be shaped nicely, but the plastics are way too flimsy even for this class of car.

I had a 2001 Protege ES that was a helluva lot of fun to drive and the interior then was even nicer.
  • jiimmann9jiimmann9 Member Posts: 1
    have the Mazda and have owned Hondas previously..love LOVE the Mazda
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    Mazda IS the new Honda. Honda is now chasing the Toyota-owning mainstream buyer (and doing a a good job at it). Hondas have become a little dull. Used to love 'em: I have had 2 Civics (a DX and an Si) 2 Del Sols (believe it or not) and two Accords (one with a M/T). We now have a 2014 Mazda6...even my WIFE though the Accord was too boring!
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    The Mazda 3 is more beautifully styled both inside and out. It is also sharper handling and more fun to drive. If I were purchasing a new vehicle, I might choose the Mazda 3 over the Civic. If I were purchasing used, I would probably choose the Civic. I've owned several used Hondas and they have been as reliable as a refrigerator. Hondas are reliable, beautifully engineered appliances, but not very fun or exciting like in the past. The last Honda that I truly coveted was the Prelude. I purchased mine new years ago and it still drives like a dream. I will probably keep it forever.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    My story is similar to the others: former Honda / Acura driver, now a very happy Mazda3 owner. I'd only recommend the Honda if there's no Mazda dealer / service within 100 miles of your location. :)
  • phamquphamqu Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2015 Mazda3 less than a month ago, and I am extremely happy with my choice. I came from an Accord, which is mid-size class. Honda is more reliable, also selling 10million cars a year to Mazda's HALF a million. But I came to the new Mazda3 for the more "engaging" driver dynamics. Would definitely recommend.
  • pondguy1pondguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a Mazda 3 about 6 months ago for my wife after doing lots of research and talking to many owners of late model Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas. After a test drive in the Mazda 3, wife was not interested in seeing or driving any other cars. Its very fun to drive (when she lets me) and so far, not a single issue.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Stay away from Mazda. Just stick to the popular Honda. It makes our Mazdas stand out more on the road. ;-)
  • alltruealltrue Member Posts: 1
    10 million Hondas sold a year vs. half a million Mazdas...can that many people really be wrong? Go with Honda. Don't believe the hype.
  • odydadodydad Member Posts: 8
    With the amount of money you have to pay for one of these cars, you really can't go wrong with either choice. Personally, I bought the Honda.
  • andrewxyandrewxy Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    I own a Honda Civic and a Mazda and I can tell you that the rack-and-pinion steering on the Mazda is much easier to steer and handle. In fact, I believe the rack-and-pinion steering is a feature of all Mazdas and gives it an edge over most cars. I think Subaru also has it.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited October 2015
    alltrue said:

10 million Hondas sold a year vs. half a million Mazdas...can that many people really be wrong? Go with Honda. Don't believe the hype.

I second that.
    I bought into the Mazda hype by all the reviews about sportiness. Went for the 2010 top of the line 2.3 engine, Mazda 3. It drove like a pocket rocket and got me speeding tickets. Apart from that, the interiors were tacky an cheap plastics even though the design looked good.
    Gave trouble with stalling while idling and the dealer could not find the fault. The dealer kept the car without giving me a loaner and I was out of pocket for a rental car plus 400 $$ in repairs for a faulty part. Traded it in after 3 years getting less the half its original cost !!
    Stay away from Mazdas.
    They are sporty but shoddy quality and highly overhyped by the Auto media and professional reviewers.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2015
    A fair win by the Mazda3. But with the all-new 2016 Civic now pouring into Honda dealers nationwide, it's already time for a rematch....

The 2016 Civic EX-Turbo lists for $22,200. But it looks like to get the 2.5 engine on the Mazda3 you have to get the Grand Touring, which lists for $24,745. For that price you can get a 2016 Civic EXL-navi with the turbo engine.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2016 Honda Civic, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 22, 2015, for use in a print publication. Click here for the survey http://bit.ly/1M6rOvA
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Automobile Magazine has done a rematch of the 2016 Civic and the Mazda3. Clearly it was close, but the Civic came out ahead in the end:

"....For $3,000 less than the Mazda, the Civic offers a well-equipped, well-rounded package that checks nearly all the boxes. It looks good inside and out, and its new turbo engine manages an impressive balance of efficiency and power. Despite a frustrating touchscreen interface, the interior is both highly practical and convincingly premium. And most important, the 2016 Honda Civic’s confident, refined way of going down the road will make you feel like you spent more money than you did. It took a little while, but Honda has finally figured out how to get back on top of the small-car heap."

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/2016-honda-civic-touring-vs-mazda3-s-comparison/
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)